Reports: Thai-Cambo border check points closed to visa runners with immediate effect

Lite Beer

He is not referring to tourists. He is referring to the loads of people abusing the system and working illegally in Thailand or trying to live here for extended periods without valid long stay visas (i.e. retirement visas, marriage visas, work permits).

1. i'm in my 40s so no retirement visa available

2. i don't need to work. i'm self-sufficient and if i ever were to work again it would be in the west (ie. western salary) and not thailand.

3. i'm not interested to engage with/marry a thai woman

so according to you people like me have no right to stay longterm in this country? i speak the language better than most clowns who married here or "work" here, i have genuine friends here (and not a bunch of parasites eating my cash). i've never been illegal in the country, i do things by the book (although i have been offered all kinds of solutions by the always friendly $mm$gration p€ople), but i deliberately am a longterm tourist which seems to annoy a certain type of people on TVF. is it jealousy? or plain bitterness... please enlight me. cheers.

According to people here, you are a lazy parasite who should go back to your country to contribute paying their pension.

Yeah, tell me about it. According to the very same people I should also get kids and "take my responsibilities in life" (LOL) whereas deliberately not having kids is taking my responsibilities to the extreme. Most farang I meet in LOS think they are different compared to their western counterparts but basically they are the same conservative, anxious, envious, narrow-minded people. The only difference is that they use A/C instead of a heater and the wifey has less pubic hair giggle.gif

Sorry to 'split hairs' but Issan girls are quite hirsute, whereas Laos girls are rather 'sparse'

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea what all the fuzz is about. Get a legal visa, i.e. retirement, b, or marriage visa! Stop whining if they clamp down on cheap Charly flip flop and Batik clothes wearing idiots (working illegally as tour guides, touts, dive masters, drug dealers, fraudsters, forgers, etc.) who think that doing a visa run every 30 days will flawlessly work forever. I pay a lot of money to keep my tax papers, visa and work permit in order, pay employees, their social insurance, etc.... Why should anyone else have it the easy, illegal and cheap way? mad.gif

A 30 visa on arrival is legal!

Who is working illegally?

What you pay has no meaning at all to people who are staying within the law.

6,000 baht for a year visa and work permit is a lot???

So by your deluded maths, a visa runner who pays (for example) 2,000 baht per month is is paying more than three times more than you!

Not only reading skills but the ability of contemplating and understanding a full sentence would help you to get out of that tiny, pityful box you must live in.

Here the sentence for you again, in bold, so you can find where it starts and where it ends since you seem to have problems with that: I pay a lot of money to keep my tax papers, visa and work permit in order, pay employees, their social insurance, etc...

On top of it all I provide jobs for 7 Thai and 6 Burmese workers, all paid every 1st of the month in full plus expenses, social insurance and visa etc. for our Burmese employees.

Your turn!

Honestly nobody cares. You will not win any awards or brownie points for doing things the proper way. You are as legal as a visa runner or worse a 10 year overstayer with 20,000 in his pocket. Only in your mind are you under illusion that you are honest and noble.

I just showed up with myself and my passport 3 months ago at Suvarnabhumi and again today at Nong Khai. Hadn't arranged a visa beforehand.

A bit of perhaps useful trivia for anyone entering Laos: I didn't check today, but it's been true for years that if you're from the U.S. or some European countries, they charge you $30- $35 cash to enter Laos. But if you want to pay in Thai money, it's been the equivalent of $50 in baht! (Plus today it was an extra $1 as it was Sunday.) So bring U.S. cash.

I just showed up with myself and my passport 3 months ago at Suvarnabhumi and again today at Nong Khai. Hadn't arranged a visa beforehand.

A bit of perhaps useful trivia for anyone entering Laos: I didn't check today, but it's been true for years that if you're from the U.S. or some European countries, they charge you $30- $35 cash to enter Laos. But if you want to pay in Thai money, it's been the equivalent of $50 in baht! (Plus today it was an extra $1 as it was Sunday.) So bring U.S. cash.

so you were able to get Visa on Arrival to Laos (from Thailand), right?

There is no problem to get a VOA to get in to Laos.

stockmktgenius was stopped from re-entering Thailand because he didn't have a visa.

Yes, I showed up at the Lao border with my passport photo, passport and $35 in US cash and was let in with no problem. It was coming back into Thailand that was a problem.

Incidentally, bring US cash, even if you're European. If you try to pay in Thai baht- I didn't check today, but it's long been true that they want the equivalent of $50 if you pay in Thai money.

Another example of Immigration changing the rules ad hoc. I don't know of any nation that doesn't have to go through rule-making procedures, hold hearings and vet new regulations before putting them into effect. It seems like they change the rules as they see fit, often in a knee-jerk reaction to some problem, which is usually caused by their own incompetence or corruption.

They already know that some of the accused bombing gang members entered the country by bribing officials. So instead of closing the border post to Visa runners, why not crack down on immigration personnel and root out their own bastards that let the terrorists in.

Oh wait! This is Thailand. That would be too logical. Mr. Spock would not survive here.

You don't understand...you're not Thai

If you're over fifty you can get a retirement visa. If you're under fifty you should be at home working, not loitering around in Thailand.

I assume (hope) that you made that comment with your tongue firmly in your cheek because I refuse to believe that anyone could make a comment like that and mean it

it seems to me that the only change here is not in the regulations, but in the enforcement of existing regulations ie, having a flight out of Thailand within the validity of the visa exempt entry, this has been something that has been discussed here all the time and countless posters have said ''you do not need a flight out, i have done it all the time'' but to do so is a close to the wind measure, getting a correct visa to cover the trip you have planned has always been the correct way to go, sailing close to the wind, has always been a risk, and now the risk is showing.

Get the correct visa/extension to cover your stay here, people have abused the system and in the end make it harder for the genuine stayers.

Who cares?

Just fly to Singapore and return back the same day.

I for one care. The last thing I want to do is find myself not being allowed in at some land border with a proper Tourist Visa issued by an embassy and paid for.

If that will be the case I would like some clarification, so that at least I know I have to fly out or look at other solutions.

Yes, I showed up at the Lao border with my passport photo, passport and $35 in US cash and was let in with no problem. It was coming back into Thailand that was a problem.

Incidentally, bring US cash, even if you're European. If you try to pay in Thai baht- I didn't check today, but it's long been true that they want the equivalent of $50 if you pay in Thai money.

Right so let me get this right.

3 months ago you showed up at Suvarnabhumi with a Single Entry Tourist Visa which allowed you in for 60 days and you extended another 30 days at local immigration, and now you went to NongKhai and tried to come back in on a visa exempt 30 days?

Or you had a double entry tourist visa and you used your first entry as detailed above and now you tried to activate your second entry?

You say the problem was when you tried to come back to Thailand, can you provide more information in regards to exactly what the problem was? Did you get asked additional questions or asked for additional proof?

And most importantly, where are you now? Back in Thailand?

PS: Sorry, I've just re-read some of the above posts, so my understanding is you tried a visa exempt after a Single Entry Tourist Visa issued by an Embassy that allowed you 60 days in Thailand that you further extended for 30 days. Is my understanding correct? And did you eventually get back into Thailand or not on the visa exempt?

Edited by lkv

3 months ago you showed up at Suvarnabhumi with a Single Entry Tourist Visa which allowed you in for 60 days and you extended another 30 days at local immigration, and now you went to NongKhai and tried to come back in on a visa exempt 30 days?

Or you had a double entry tourist visa and you used your first entry as detailed above and now you tried to activate your second entry?

You say the problem was when you tried to come back to Thailand, can you provide more information in regards to exactly what the problem was? Did you get asked additional questions or asked for additional proof?

The man entered Thailand at the airport with a 30 day visa exempt entry. He then extended that for 60 days on the basis of being married. On expiry of that 60 days he left Thailand and entered Laos. He tried to re-enter Thailand again on visa exempt entry but due to this weekends events was refused entry. Presumably for not having an onward flight.

So will you go to the Embassy in Vientiane to get a Tourist Visa?

The man entered Thailand at the airport with a 30 day visa exempt entry. He then extended that for 60 days on the basis of being married. On expiry of that 60 days he left Thailand and entered Laos. He tried to re-enter Thailand again on visa exempt entry but due to this weekends events was refused entry. Presumably for not having an onward flight.

Yup my bad there's so much information coming from lots of people that I thought those were two different stories from two different people. smile.png

Sorry about that.

Ok so visa exempt 30 days, 2 month extension and now attempt to secure another 30 days visa exempt which is same day so consecutive.

Yeah, that's in line with what has already been happening. It's an IN-OUT on exempts really, although there has been a paid extension in between. So in theory a big No No according to what they said in August last year, although I was under the impression that the first IN-OUT is allowed.

The fact that he was able though to convince local immigration to give him a 2 month extension for a 30 day visa exempt for tourism is new stuff to me, I thought they would not go over 30 days for an extension for tourism purposes, but it seems that rule can be bended with a good enough reason, such as marriage?

Edited by lkv

The Thai Consulate in Birmingham UK have posted a notice that the Thai Authoritihave changed the way in which they deal with tourists entering Thailand for up to 30 days without a valid visa and have given some explanation to try and clarify some of the resulting confusion

"The most important point to understand is that this Only affects people who do not have a valid visa." It is clearly stated that if you have a valid visa you are not affected.

The visa exemption applies only if 1) you hold a qualifying passport, 2) you are visiting as tourist ONLY, 3) you have a confirmed air ticket to leave the Kingdom within 30 days DIRECT FROM A THAI AIRPORT). You must be leaving by air and not from an airport outside of Thailand. Clearly someone doing a border run will not have the required confirmed flight.

The consulate state that this has been the rule for many years, the only change is that the rules are being applied more strictly. You will not be allowed entry into the kingdom without either a valid visa or complying with the three conditions summarised above for an exemption.

The consulate state that you may be given an exemption on entering via a land border but still subject to the same three conditions including the confirmed air flight out, direct from a Thai airport. The consulate refer only to a15 day exemption at the land border but I understood that for G7 countries 30 days was available at a land border. Obviously the 15 day exemption requires the flight in 15 days.

The consulate specifically note that this enforcement of the current rules is intended to end the practice of those without a valid visa crossing the border every 30 days. Airlines have also been asked to be vigilant in checking passengers have an appropriate visa or a 30 day or less return flight.

I have also noticed elsewhere on the embassy and consulate websites that you are only allowed 90 days total exemption within any 6 month period. Clearly this hasn't been enforced with back to back border runners, until now. Another thing that may be more often checked (?) is the requirement for adequate finances for all visitors (10,000 baht per person, 20,000 per family).

Notice at Penang consulate clearly states that a person entering Thailand must have B20,000 or equivalent (2 days ago). Wasn't asked but 3 friends were stopped and asked to show cash at Dannock crossing a few weeks ago. One illegally entered and used ATM, flashed cash and passed on to the other two in front of the Immigration officer - no problems.

Edited by halloween

Here is what I understand, let me know if I'm wrong:

- If you have a valid visa, you can enter Thailand without any problem. You can even activate your second entry from your double entry tourist visa, since you still have a valid visa

- Someone who don't have a visa can no longer enter Thailand on visa exempt entry if he is doing a "border run" (it means he just left Thailand a few minutes ago...)

Am I right?

If yes, then the Thaivisa title is wrong? It says that Cambodian borders are "closed to visa runners". While it's only closed for "border runs"?

No, I had no prearranged visa. Just showed up 3 months ago at Suvarnabhumi and today at Nong Khai.

i wanted to leave thailand overland to laos and get voa at Nong Khai.

Not a problem to get a VOA at Nong Khai, but you should get a Tourist Visa from Laos in order to return to Thailand. Time will tell if they are preventing people with Tourist Visas from entering. The problem appears to be people with Visa Exemptions who try to re-enter. I haven't perused the thread, so someone might correct me.

PS: Sorry, I've just re-read some of the above posts, so my understanding is you tried a visa exempt after a Single Entry Tourist Visa issued by an Embassy that allowed you 60 days in Thailand that you further extended for 30 days. Is my understanding correct? And did you eventually get back into Thailand or not on the visa exempt?

This will be my last post as it's bedtime. Plus when I've clicked to post, it hasn't been clear to me that I did post, so I've ended up posting the same info about using USD 3 or 4 times and looking like an idiot!

I entered at Suvarnabhumi with NO VISA. Just showed up at the Thai airport immigration with my passport. Got the usual 30 day visa. Since I'm married to a Thai woman, we went to Immigration 30 days later and got another 2 months (I think it cost me 1900 baht) stamped in my passport. Those two months were up today, but I need another 2 weeks here as I don't fly out until later this month. So I did a border run thinking I'd get another 30 days.

Sorry, I don't understand some of the terms you used, so can't reply directly. But I think my story is pretty clear. I'm now back at our home in Thailand. Wish I could say "All's well that ends well" but it was a LOT of trouble. In the future I'll get a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa with multiple entries allowed of 90 days. I don't want a married visa as then I'd need to have 400,000 baht in a Thai bank. And I hear they want photos of your bed, and come asking neighbors about you. Don't want a Retirement Visa, as then I think I'd need to have 800,000 baht in a Thai bank (not sure on that, since I'm married might just be 400,000). Anyway, I hope my story helped someone.

The fact that he was able though to convince local immigration to give him a 2 month extension for a 30 day visa exempt for tourism is new stuff to me, I thought they would not go over 30 days for an extension for tourism purposes, but it seems that rule can be bended with a good enough reason, such as marriage?

No convincing or rule bending needed. A visa exempt stay can be extended for 60 days if married. If not married it's only 30 days.

Don't worry if you get denied just go to Genting Casino in poipet and go to the VIP counter and ask for the guy who gets visas. Pay money and give your passport and they will go to phnom penh and get a 30 day Vista. Give your mobile number and get his. In poipet you can use Thai sim. Takes 4-5 days. For accommodation stay at Poipet City Hotel have room 8 dollar fan and 15-18 air. Poipet border has preferred you have visa since March.

x

Are you being serious?

While in a foreign country, locate a man and give him your passport for 4-5 days?

Here is what I understand, let me know if I'm wrong:

- If you have a valid visa, you can enter Thailand without any problem. You can even activate your second entry from your double entry tourist visa, since you still have a valid visa

- Someone who don't have a visa can no longer enter Thailand on visa exempt entry if he is doing a "border run" (it means he just left Thailand a few minutes ago...)

Am I right?

If yes, then the Thaivisa title is wrong? It says that Cambodian borders are "closed to visa runners". While it's only closed for "border runs"?

Based on most people's reports, your understanding is correct, although there was one person posting that has yet to reply my message, so I will PM that person for more information. He stated that his son got rejected on a tourist visa valid until the 15th of December, so I would be interested in more details about that.

Also, there have been some unverified comments about people that exit Thailand, want to go into Cambodia for a cigarette (3 minutes) and are not being allowed into Cambodia?

Also some comments would suggest that people are being told before they exit Thailand...."we'll let you exit but don't come back through here in 5 minutes...go through the airport"

Lots of things to be still clarified, but it seems that generally double entry tourist visa holders should encounter no problem.

I'd prepare some booking printouts though and some cash in hand to be on the safe side if I ever get into an argument with the IO, which never happened so far, but I'm a very persistent person should it ever happen :)

Edited by lkv

No, I had no prearranged visa. Just showed up 3 months ago at Suvarnabhumi and today at Nong Khai.

i wanted to leave thailand overland to laos and get voa at Nong Khai.

Not a problem to get a VOA at Nong Khai, but you should get a Tourist Visa from Laos in order to return to Thailand. Time will tell if they are preventing people with Tourist Visas from entering. The problem appears to be people with Visa Exemptions who try to re-enter. I haven't perused the thread, so someone might correct me.

Ok thank you. Does the same rule apply if you enter Thailand by air? If you fly from Europe or Myanmar you also need VISA?

Who cares?

I for one care. The last thing I want to do is find myself not being allowed in at some land border with a proper Tourist Visa issued by an embassy and paid for.

If that will be the case I would like some clarification, so that at least I know I have to fly out or look at other solutions.

I would learn to read first before applying for any visa.

A Thaivisa member says checkpoints along the Thai-Cambodian border, as well as the Phu Nam Ron checkpoint at Kanchanaburi, are no longer stamping 15 or 30 day waiver stamps, but are accepting those with a valid Multiple Entry Non-O or Tourist Visa.

Who cares?

A Thaivisa member says checkpoints along the Thai-Cambodian border, as well as the Phu Nam Ron checkpoint at Kanchanaburi, are no longer stamping 15 or 30 day waiver stamps, but are accepting those with a valid Multiple Entry Non-O or Tourist Visa.

Yeah, and another poster was saying that his son got refused on a valid tourist visa valid until the 15th of December. Unless that person is trolling, what am I supposed to understand?

Who cares?

Yeah, and another poster was saying that his son got refused on a valid tourist visa valid until the 15th of December. Unless that person is trolling, what am I supposed to understand?

Do you need VISA if flying back to Bangkok from Cambodia?

Who cares?

Even if people have the correct visa they can still be turned away at immigration. Its at the immigration officers discretion.

Some people obviously look dodgy to the immigration officer.