If You Could Buy Any Pickup Right Now What Would It Be?

FruitPudding

Perhaps, but their record shows, regarding LOS, they are doing OK....You know Toyota employ USA design companies to create the USA market for them. I think they play safe in LOS for a few reasons. Folk who buy trucks do so for their own reasons. Perhaps after warranty "servicing" is one of the reasons that their rides keep going and folk are kept happy. That is my thought REGARDING LOS. NOT a farang buyer........

The biggest factor is always brand perception - that comes as a result of several factors: familiarity, marketing, word of mouth (never underestimate the power of Uncle's advice in Thailand), fuel efficiency/operating costs, service center proliferation, and yes, to a degree, perception of reliability - it's certainly a contributing factor. For tier-2 brands though, it's primarily about product substance.

If you really want to explore this further, Isuzu would probably be an even better subject - for the longest time now, behind on 'paper specs', rarely offering the right product/price for fleet buyers, but yet still managing to be a close #2 in the segment - sometimes even #1. It's truly an impressive accomplishment - especially if you remove fleet sales which Toyota practically get by default, and just look at private buyer activity.

Another interesting way to look at it is market share by price point. On that criteria, Toyota are incredibly bottom heavy (most probably due to fleet sales), whereas Isuzu do much better in the mid and top ranges. If you want to look at the 1M+ top-spec-only segment, Ford is going to surprise you too.

Edited by IMHO

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I bought my beloved Vgo 4x4 it was the No.1 in it's class at the time by JD.Power.

When you bought your beloved Vigo, it was indeed the best in class too. Back in that generation, Isuzu had released their D-Max 2 years prior, which gave Toyota everything they needed to better the product. Toyota had also already set a new bar with their *KD-FTV series diesels (launched in the Tiger generation) and Isuzu didn't catch up there until the late 2000's - it was the Vigo that pushed Toyota from being well-and-truly #2 in TH pickups to a market share leader...

Edited by IMHO

Toyota are doing great in LOS because they spend a huge amount on advertising, have a huge dealer network and have cultivated a wonderful brand image. None of that necessarily means any given Toyota model is good though.

They minimise risk with conservative design and engineering but still occasionally have problems like everyone else with recalls and dodgy engineering.

One thing Toyota are good at is convincing their customers of their superior reliability. E.G. the numerous posts about owning a Vigo for 5 years and 1xx,000 km with no problem. Most modern cars will do the same, certainly the reliability of the Mitsubishi, Ford and Isuzu pickups we have had has been similar to the Toyota's.

I could be wrong and we have been incredibly lucky. whistling.gif

Toyota are doing great in LOS because they spend a huge amount on advertising, have a huge dealer network and have cultivated a wonderful brand image. None of that necessarily means any given Toyota model is good though.

They minimise risk with conservative design and engineering but still occasionally have problems like everyone else with recalls and dodgy engineering.

One thing Toyota are good at is convincing their customers of their superior reliability. E.G. the numerous posts about owning a Vigo for 5 years and 1xx,000 km with no problem. Most modern cars will do the same, certainly the reliability of the Mitsubishi, Ford and Isuzu pickups we have had has been similar to the Toyota's.

I'm jealous of how you can use 1,000 less words to say the same thing as me :P

Weeeell, mine is heading for 9 years now, not 5...giggle.gif

BUT, this is LOS, in LOS Toyota is a Rolls Royce, why...?

Don't go wrong, sell it and get near your money back in a few years....IF you want to sell it, but we don't..............laugh.png.......I can't........sad.png ............and I want a Revo.....tongue.png

Seriously? Spend some money to get your Vigo detailed (UK=valeted?) so it's just like new again. The amount of money it'll cost you to update to Revo, vs what improvement you'll feel as a result - especially considering things like infotainment and gizmos are low on your priorities list - is just a recipe for buyer's remorse.

BTW: The "Rolls Royce" of Thailand is a Rolls Royce, but maybe down to a Benz in Isaan ;)

Edited by IMHO

Is it not Toyota with one of the largest Recalls this year ??

6.5 million last month..

4.2 million in June...

Was it not Honda with the largest recall ever this year...

I think VW have beat them both now - although, those recalls don't happen until next year :P

Is it not Toyota with one of the largest Recalls this year ??

6.5 million last month..

4.2 million in June...

Was it not Honda with the largest recall ever this year...

I think VW have beat them both now - although, those recalls don't happen until next year tongue.png

Maybe total figures are not in yet for VW... the figures for Honda.. So far this year Airbags + Electric fires -

BBC July 2015..

But Honda, the number three carmaker in Japan, has been hardest hit with 24.5 million cars recalled - more than half of the global total

Lets talk about LOS for once.....LOS folk don't give a shit about a couple of HP, they want prestige in a ride that says it all.

I agree with everything you've said in principle, except this. The previous gen PJS practically went from "zero to hero" when they trumped the segment with the 178HP revised 4D56 lump in 2011.

Thai's like HP just as much as everyone else. Most of them just don't know how far the rabbit hole can actually go, due to the 220HP tax barrier :P

The wife was talking to another Thai genius the other day. He said Japanese cars are good because they will still work if you don't get them serviced but European cars will break down.

Luckily it wasn't me he was sharing his wisdom with or I wouldn't lost face by letting him know what a dick he is.

The wife was talking to another Thai genius the other day. He said Japanese cars are good because they will still work if you don't get them serviced but European cars will break down.

Luckily it wasn't me he was sharing his wisdom with or I wouldn't lost face by letting him know what a dick he is.

I would side with your Mrs friend..When cash outlay comes into the LOS equation they probably are right..smile.png

It just tells me that he's too stupid to get a vehicle serviced and would also miss out on one of their numerous recalls.

I would side with your Mrs friend..When cash outlay comes into the LOS equation they probably are right..smile.png

It just tells me that he's too stupid to get a vehicle serviced and would also miss out on one of their numerous recalls.

So you know who gets proper servicing after warranty on all rides, you keep abreast of all recalls in LOS..?

After warranty? The comment was made with regard to us having a NEW 'European' car and not a sheeple car.

I really believe that I would have been happy with any brand I bought. I think they are all good but like others, I think some are ugly and they came off my list. I do think the Ford is the best looking truck of the bunch. They must be quite popular because I thought the Ford dealer was almost as rude as the Toyota dealer. Both Ford and Toyota were arrogant and acted as though I had no other choice. Only Mazda and Isuzu seemed eager to make a sale. I think the Mazda is ugly so I chose the Isuzu. I suppose dealers in other areas may be better but I insist on buying as local as practical because of service. I had been warned about Isuzu dealers being hard to deal with but they treated me the best. I ordered the top of the line V Cross. The price out the door was 844,400 baht. That included all the extras I asked for including a year of first class insurance and a cash price. None of the other dealers wanted to talk about a cash purchase. After a couple thousand kilometers I am most impressed with the 3.0 liter 4X4 fuel economy, the ride and how tight and quiet it is. Now it is a question of how trouble free the key less ignition and all the other electronic stuff including the traction control holds up. The GPS sucks but so far that is my only complaint. It was included in the Prestige package or I would never never have bought it. The rest of the media package, backup camera, iPod connection, stereo and Bluetooth work fine.

I really believe that I would have been happy with any brand I bought. I think they are all good but like others, I think some are ugly and they came off my list. I do think the Ford is the best looking truck of the bunch. They must be quite popular because I thought the Ford dealer was almost as rude as the Toyota dealer. Both Ford and Toyota were arrogant and acted as though I had no other choice. Only Mazda and Isuzu seemed eager to make a sale. I think the Mazda is ugly so I chose the Isuzu. I suppose dealers in other areas may be better but I insist on buying as local as practical because of service. I had been warned about Isuzu dealers being hard to deal with but they treated me the best. I ordered the top of the line V Cross. The price out the door was 844,400 baht. That included all the extras I asked for including a year of first class insurance and a cash price. None of the other dealers wanted to talk about a cash purchase. After a couple thousand kilometers I am most impressed with the 3.0 liter 4X4 fuel economy, the ride and how tight and quiet it is. Now it is a question of how trouble free the key less ignition and all the other electronic stuff including the traction control holds up. The GPS sucks but so far that is my only complaint. It was included in the Prestige package or I would never never have bought it. The rest of the media package, backup camera, iPod connection, stereo and Bluetooth work fine.

Not sure if you aware, but the D-Max gets a minor change on the 13th of this month - which may have been a factor in getting such a good deal.

Lucky for you, they're only replacing the 2.5L engine (with a new super fuel efficient 1.9L) - the 3.0L engine is a carryover. Other changes to the model you bought are mainly just cosmetic - new lights, grille, new infotainment etc.

Not sure if you aware, but the D-Max gets a minor change on the 13th of this month - which may have been a factor in getting such a good deal.

Lucky for you, they're only replacing the 2.5L engine (with a new super fuel efficient 1.9L) - the 3.0L engine is a carryover. Other changes to the model you bought are mainly just cosmetic - new lights, grille, new infotainment etc.

I read that they were also going to put their new 6-speed auto box in. Also that the CO2 is considerably less than 200g/km ... so that's a plus. That engine has been talked about since 2013 if I recall correctly. A bit of a shake up then ..................is it going in their 4*4 range?

Edited by JAS21

I read that they were also going to put their new 6-speed auto box in. Also that the CO2 is considerably less than 200g/km ... so that's a plus. That engine has been talked about since 2013 if I recall correctly. A bit of a shake up then ..................is it going in their 4*4 range?

The new 1.9L makes 150HP, 350Nm and emits 161 g/KM CO2 - and will be available across the range. Claimed FE improvement over the outgoing 2.5L is 19%.

Thought this new engine DDi Blue power, came in 2 forms ?? or at least that is what the Salesman said last week.

1.9 Turbo replacing the 2.5 ........... the 2.5 Twin Turbo, replacing the 3.0 ......... both engines direct injection pressure systems = more power

Both have the new look front, other odds and end + both faster, lot more fuel efficient and lower C02, then the outgoing models....

Both models due for customer delivery March 2016, test drives and models orders taken from later this month.

Edit: Question..... the 3.0L engine is a carryover ???????

Edited by ignis

Thought this new engine DDi Blue power, came in 2 forms ?? or at least that is what the Salesman said last week.

1.9 Turbo replacing the 2.5 ........... the 2.5 Twin Turbo, replacing the 3.0 ......... both engines direct injection pressure systems = more power

Both have the new look front, other odds and end + both faster, lot more fuel efficient and lower C02, then the outgoing models....

Both models due for customer delivery March 2016, test drives and models orders taken from later this month.

The 2.5L twin turbo has been sold in the EU for several years now, and it was everyone's expectation it would replace the 3.0L. But it didn't. The old 2.5L single turbo is replaced by the new 1.9L engine, and the existing 3.0L carries over - for now at least.

The 2.5L twin turbo has been sold in the EU for several years now, and it was everyone's expectation it would replace the 3.0L. But it didn't. The old 2.5L single turbo is replaced by the new 1.9L engine, and the existing 3.0L carries over - for now at least.

Thanks...... Yes Salesmen/woman even Manager appear to either know nothing or think they know more than the facts on new or update models here..

Edited by ignis

Salesman at both Isuzu dealers told me that the 3.0 liter in a 4X4 was more efficient than the 2.5 liter. Maybe that's why they eliminated the 2.5 liter. I am impressed with the 3.0 liter fuel economy. One thing I didn't mention is that I'm not real happy with the manual transmission gear ratios. 1st gear is too low and second gear is too high. In my old Nissan I never used 1st gear. I always started in 2nd gear. And no, it didn't hurt the clutch. It still had the original clutch at 150,000 kilometers. On a perfectly flat road, I can start the Isuzu in 2nd gear but it's not as easy and smooth because of the higher gearing. Also 5th gear is very high. 2,000 RPM is 110 KPH. It's OK for the highway but too high for old country roads where traffic normally moves at about 80 KPH. I think that if I had it to do over again, I'd have ordered the automatic transmission.

Salesman at both Isuzu dealers told me that the 3.0 liter in a 4X4 was more efficient than the 2.5 liter. Maybe that's why they eliminated the 2.5 liter. I am impressed with the 3.0 liter fuel economy. One thing I didn't mention is that I'm not real happy with the manual transmission gear ratios. 1st gear is too low and second gear is too high. In my old Nissan I never used 1st gear. I always started in 2nd gear. And no, it didn't hurt the clutch. It still had the original clutch at 150,000 kilometers. On a perfectly flat road, I can start the Isuzu in 2nd gear but it's not as easy and smooth because of the higher gearing. Also 5th gear is very high. 2,000 RPM is 110 KPH. It's OK for the highway but too high for old country roads where traffic normally moves at about 80 KPH. I think that if I had it to do over again, I'd have ordered the automatic transmission.

Maybe the new 6 speed one is better gear ratios ?

All my D-Max trucks still had there original clutch when sold around 400,000 KM, as has the BT50 Hi-Racer+ Mazda, coming up to change time [386,000km + near 4 years old]

I do like manual transmissions but if they go to 6 gears, my next one will be an automatic for sure. I don't mind shifting gears but there is a limit. Considering 5th gear as an overdrive, five gears is plenty. Out here in the boonies, 5th gear is not used too much. You have to watch for kids, dogs, cattle, buffalo, cats, chickens and suicidal motorbike riders.

Edited by Gary A

I do like manual transmissions but if they go to 6 gears, my next one will be an automatic for sure. I don't mind shifting gears but there is a limit. Considering 5th gear as an overdrive, five gears is plenty. Out here in the boonies, 5th gear is not used too much. You have to watch for kids, dogs, cattle, buffalo, cats, chickens and suicidal motorbike riders.

You don't have to use all 6 gears. My missus gets by with 4.

• 3 weeks later...