Chalk talk: Take the muzzle off our children

webfact

CHALK TALK
Take the muzzle off our children

CHULARAT SAENGPASSA

BANGKOK: -- NOT MANY hands get raised in typical Thai-style classrooms. Not many teachers will provide time for question-and-answer sessions either.

Critics have attacked Thailand's educational sector for encouraging rote learning, blocking children's analytical thinking and discouraging freedom of expression and creativity.

They also complain that students are naturally reluctant to raise questions, a step more often than not needed to help them acquire knowledge.

Just as efforts to stage educational reform in the country started a decade ago, relevant authorities have again promised to make a change.

But what have children got today?

Earlier this month, Parit Chiwarak - a Mathayom 5 student - showed up at an event where Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-Cha delivered a special address.

As soon as Prayut asked whether anyone would like to ask a question, Parit stood up and produced a banner.

Parit was quickly surrounded by men, who reined him in and brought him to a police station.

He did not have a chance to really speak up, raise his concerns about the country's educational sector, let alone deliver the letter he intended to hand over to Prayut.

As the security guards surrounded the boy, Prayut said: "What's happening? He's still young. Please take good care of him and please understand the security officers, they have had to watch over me carefully lately."

He then jokingly asked if the student was on "his side" and told the security guards to be gentle with the boy.

Parit, who was released the same day, said that he understood the officials involved just carried out their duty in detaining and interrogating him.

In an open letter addressed to Prayut, he apologised for his attempt to deliver a letter without prior notice. The letter also raised the point that he wanted to discuss with Prayut on the day of his detention - a request that the subject civil duties be replaced with philosophy and ethics, which he believes are more effective in nurturing ethics and virtues.

He ended the letter by saying: "I hoped that in the future there will be the right for everyone to express what they believe from the innermost of their heart."

Will Prayut give an assurance to youths like Parit that they can express their opinions?

Such expression of opinions, after all, promotes children's creativity and their contribution to society.

Don't make children feel too intimidated to speak up. Don't look at those who have the courage to express their opinions with suspicion and doubt.

Doing so will trap Thailand where it is now, no matter how many years pass.

The educational sector won't be able to produce graduates with sharp analytical thinking and creativity.

Subjected to a muzzle culture, most children only learn to keep quiet and refrain from stepping outside the box and experimenting with new ideas.

Wanpen Khunna, a Mathayom 4 student in Loei, admits that she was shocked and cried when a village head suddenly showed up at her house on September 4 and took a photo of her ID card over a mining company's complaint about her being a citizen TV reporter.

Thung Kham Ltd complained that the girl's report affected public confidence in its operation.

Wanna reported on contaminated water sources in her hometown, and the company is worried people might link the contamination to its operation.

It has threatened to file a complaint against the girl and the persons who convinced her to do this report.

It has suggested Wanna tell police that she was ordered to produce the news report that way.

"But I don't think I did anything wrong about joining the citizen reporter project. So, I haven't filed a report with police," Wanna said.

The girl is not the only student who has had to face much pressure, and even intimidation, for expressing an opinion and trying to push for change.

A Mathayom 5 student recently lamented how a teacher hit him in the head when he gave a speech in front of his school's flagpole. The boy is leading efforts to scrutinise the school's collection of money for extracurricular activities.

"At first I got angry. But now my anger has subsided," he said. "I only focus on hearing a clear answer from the school. To me, the fee charged by the school is too expensive and the school's executives need to explain, not just stay silent."

These students had good intentions when they expressed themselves.

What did they get in return? Intimidation and criticism.

So, how can we expect to see children speak up and express their ideas confidently?

In fact, a school teacher has even suggested that one of her students has mental problems after she handed over a blank civic duties exam paper in protest over the restricted freedom of expression in the country.

How can expression, creativity and active participation thrive in society under such circumstances?

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Take-the-muzzle-off-our-children-30268726.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-14

There's more to fostering critical thinking than just encouraging students to ask questions or express themselves in class. You need teachers who actually understand how to cultivate and test critical thinking skills. You also need teachers who aren't lazy, overburdened with recreating countless reports requested by administrators and never reviewed, or more focused on their second jobs than student learning. It's never going to happen in Thailand, sorry. It would require removing all of the worthless administrators and MOE personnel who are siphoning billions of baht from the system, then funding intensive teacher reprogramming using foreign consultants, substantially increasing salaries for teachers, and de-emphasizing the teaching of Thai culture, Thai morality and Thai history so that useful life skills and academics can be learned.

We need more of this, going straight to the heart of the problem and demonstrating how utterly unresponsive the system is to the needs of young learners. Young people are naturally inquisitive and thoughtful - the unique contribution of the Thai education system is the way it seeks to hammer every last bit of criticality and originality out of its students.

To start with, there would need to be a manitory retirement of all thais 40 and over having anything to do with education that ran for 5 years to clear out the deadwood and the dinosaur trained. You can't teach an old dog new tricks and the old dogs don't know any of the new tricks to teach the young ones.

"The educational sector won't be able to produce graduates with sharp analytical thinking and creativity."

The good news is that Thailand won't have to worry about a brain drain to neighboring countries. And no one in the ASEAN Community will care about an education in Thailand.

"The educational sector won't be able to produce graduates with sharp analytical thinking and creativity."

The good news is that Thailand won't have to worry about a brain drain to neighboring countries. And no one in the ASEAN Community will care about an education in Thailand.

Similar articles appear irregularly in the Thanh Nien Daily and Sunday papers, in Vietnam, about their own education system.

When I lived over there, I thought that the concept of rote learning (and unquestioning acceptance) was confined to that country due to the reluctance of questioning authority, brought about by communist (and previous French) rule. Many students also fostered the fear of standing out and bringing attention to themselves, hence, they would quietly sit in the classroom and 'unthinkingly' absorb what the teacher dealt out.

The same situation was apparent when I started training personnel in our industry. When I stated that any of the staff could bring forward their own ideas of how a task could be performed, the response was always the same, "You are the boss. You tell us how to do it and we will do it the same."

The fear of authority is slowly changing (as can be seen from articles and videos of Vietnamese citizens standing up against police) and so is the attitude of being 'part of the crowd' (customising vehicles is one example of this).

The OP subject is not just confined to Thailand and seems to be the situation in several of the ASEAN countries.

Edited by Stray

When I taught in Bangkok I encouraged questions from my students. At first they were hesitant to do so, but they soon warmed up to it. After awhile I couldn't shut them up. Just kidding. You need an atmosphere that promotes discussion in a classroom and most Thai teachers are not willing to give up their superior position and rather enjoy instilling fear in their students.