WHY live in thailand

big carl

I moved from Australia 5 years ago mainly because the wonderful country seemed to becoming over regulated and expensive. I also took a heavy hit from the GFC with effected my lifestyle there. In Thailand I now live stress free with the best view in the world from my condo.

Please check out my web cam here for my view 24/7, http://fivestarvagabond.com/pattaya-webcam/

I travel extensively, and by living in Thailand in comparison with Australia I'm halfway to anywhere I want to go. smile.png

post-213922-0-18136700-1442376450_thumb.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all can find things to complain about in life - nobody has a perfect life… but it seems both silly and futile and frankly often crosses a line into mean and mostly rude to complain about some of the things I see on this forum.

RUDE - is the key word. We are their guests. The qualifications to live here are far far less stringent than for them to live in Western countries. And yet people complain about that. As the OP makes a point, guests can leave - and that would be more polite than to stay and complain.

To come to Thailand and complain that Thai people have Thai customs and don't know how to properly, in their estimation, serve the soup and salad to their particular liking and do not have the language skills to ask for it to their particualr liking does not sound like a Thai fault to me… as so many of the things complained about here…

I admit, I have a strange way to compare countries but I compare the metro. I once took the dirty full of graffiti metro in Paris, dominated by gangs scaring and ripping off other passengers. Same in London, less in Moskou ( probably the most beautiful one in the world). In Bangkok the metro is clean, the people friendly, never felt a threat whatsoever. Sure things are not perfect and yes there are many things to criticize but for me the Thai scale still tips to the positive side.

The gangs are there, the threats are there, you just don't have the knowledge to see them.

Many foreigners have a false sense of security in Thailand, but the houses all have bars on the windows, and the younger women never go out alone at night.

Statistically,

You are 20x more likely to die on a trip to Thailand, than a trip to Europe.

It all depends on where you live and how you get on with your neighbours and the local people in the village.

I live here so I can read "How Much I Love Thailand...How Can I Ever Count The Ways!" Posts on TV...over and over...

Rarely do all people agree on anything...much less the value of living in Thailand...not everyone has the most wonderful of experiences here...

Allow them to have a voice without being harassed by Thai apologists...

If everyone posted the same thing on every post...this forum would die of boredom...

Thank goodness people feel free to express their disapproval of Thailand...

This makes for an interesting, honest, and healthy debate...IMHO

You make some very valid points.

Moderation is not up for discussion, but I shall observe that this site has rules against hate speech and inflammatory posts, rules that are applied when things get out of hand - In general this forum has a very liberal attitude to people expressing different opinions provided they do so with reasonable respect.

What is very clear is that while I have asked the OP to give us an example of someone who 'only Thai bashes', he has failed to do so.

He has made the claim such people exist and started a thread based upon the existence of such people, but has not produced evidence that they exist.

What does exist, and there are many examples on this forum, is people who moan about others expressing their concerns about aspects of life in Thailand.

I go further than gtt's statement that diverse opinion avoids boredom. I believe this forum is one of the only places that expats can express their opinions on almost any matter relating to their life in Thailand (or indeed their dreamed of life in Thailand).

I've been a member her for a long time now, I have many years experience living in Thailand and tick most of the boxes on why I ought to have a good understanding of what goes on in Thailand. Regardless, I still frequently come across posts on this forum that open my eyes to issues of which I was not previously aware.

Many of the these issues are good news stories, most are neutral, neither good nor bad, some are negative and often warn of traps I myself might have easily walked into.

Open discussion of the good the bad and the ugly is not just a matter of keeping this forum interesting, its a service to all of us.

We can all of us learn from the experience of others. Their good experiences and their bad experiences.

I'm still waiting for the example of someone who only 'Thai bashes'.

As I point out above, I've been a member here for many years, I can't think of anyone one who posts on this forum who fits that description. Other members who have been here for a while now know my posting history and they are aware that my response to the accusations made against 'Thai bashers' is always the same.

• Show us who the Thai bashers are - never gets a response.
  • If you are happy with your life in Thailand, why does the opinion total strangers have about life in Thailand matter so much to you? - Seldom gets a response
  • The existence of this forum and the acceptance of a wide spectrum of views is an invaluable service to all expats, the breadth of views expressed needs to be defended - Never seen an argument against this.
  • The forum rules are very clear on abuse, hate speech and inflammatory posts, use the report button (I often do) - Complaining about people who don't seem to exist is apparently easier.

Have a good day, and don't let the opinions others have of you having a good day spoil it for you.

I admit, I have a strange way to compare countries but I compare the metro. I once took the dirty full of graffiti metro in Paris, dominated by gangs scaring and ripping off other passengers. Same in London, less in Moskou ( probably the most beautiful one in the world). In Bangkok the metro is clean, the people friendly, never felt a threat whatsoever. Sure things are not perfect and yes there are many things to criticize but for me the Thai scale still tips to the positive side.

The gangs are there, the threats are there, you just don't have the knowledge to see them.

Many foreigners have a false sense of security in Thailand, but the houses all have bars on the windows, and the younger women never go out alone at night.

Statistically,

I think that would depend on what sort of trip, on a road trip in Thailand driving a car or motorbike, I would agree, but on a backpacker trip, or using public transport and staying over night in hotels, then I would not agree.

Thailand gets savaged when one bad incident occurs, but bad incidents happen in every country in the world.

When I go back to Scotland I carry a weapon with me when I go out, I don't care about the law as my personal safety comes first.

No matter where I go in Thailand, whether it's Bangkok or Pattaya etc, there is no need to carry any weapon, as my safety has never been compromised.

When all you can do is Thai bash why don't you leave?

Can you give me an example of someone who only 'Thai bashes'?

I've been a member here for a while now and I can't bring any such a person to mind. I'm not even sure what Thai bashing is.

Since you seem to have discovered such people doing nothing else but 'Thai bashing' help me out with an example.

The biggest causes of me Thai bashing is the dreadful road fatalities. Then there is the different Immigration Offices, Public Offices, and Banks making up their own rules and getting away with it. Oh! and the carry on at Songcran.

All the positives out weigh what I have just mentioned.

I live here so I can read "How Much I Love Thailand...How Can I Ever Count The Ways!" Posts on TV...over and over...

Rarely do all people agree on anything...much less the value of living in Thailand...not everyone has the most wonderful of experiences here...

Allow them to have a voice without being harassed by Thai apologists...

If everyone posted the same thing on every post...this forum would die of boredom...

Thank goodness people feel free to express their disapproval of Thailand...

This makes for an interesting, honest, and healthy debate...IMHO

Excellent post, how right you are ggt.

What ever gave you the idea I was concerned. I am interested in the reasons they stay here. Never know when some information will come in handy. You two are like all but one of the posters. You avoid the question. When all you can do is Thai bash why don't you leave? I am not asking for a list of all Thailand's good points or bad points. Just what is keeping you here when you feel that bad about Thailand. I am a curious man and am now wondering why so many people avoid the question.

Thank you for answering my question. It scared most people off.

I live here for the cheap slim women, your question didn't scare me off, I answered it, but you didn't like my answer.

Countries with cheap women are usually a bit iffy (actually mostly downright dangerous).

If I may suggest a few others where I know there are cheap women,

Brazil ..... you ever been there? really, really dangerous.

Columbia ....... if you can avoid the kidnappings and drug war shoot-outs in the streets, it's a fine place.

Philippines ......... almost every shop has a guard with a shotgun sitting outside, there is a reason for this.

Cambodia ....... populated by all of Pol Pot's former henchmen, they killed everyone else.

Now I'm prepared to put up with a lot of aggro in order to access the cheap slim women,but there are limits.

Thailand has now become borderline acceptable, once it slides a bit more down the Junta's slippery slope, I'll be living in Spain and to hell with the cheap slim women.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Keep coming on here on Thaivisa, Thai bash or praise, bash or praise my home country, tell me I'm wrong in any of my opinions, your opinion will always be respected.

As has been mentioned already on this topic, this is what keeps Thaivisa always interesting.

I have lived in Bangkok now for two years. Retired from America (Hawaii). I have a good life. Planned it well. Not married and never will. 66 years old. Good health. Gym 5 days a week. Massages 4-5 times a week. I don't take the Thai women seriously. Catch and release. The main reason I stay here is the cheap cost of living especially compared to my home state of Hawaii. This reason is compounded by the strong US$. I must say that I am very comfortable the longer I live here. But one thing for sure, I will go back within a year. Time for a new adventure. Life is short.

I've been a member here for a while now and I can't bring any such a person to mind. I'm not even sure what Thai bashing is.

Since you seem to have discovered such people doing nothing else but 'Thai bashing' help me out with an example.

I don't believe the rules allow me to make such open ended accusations. I wonder how you can get so many posts and not know what a Thai basher is? You seem to want to stay away from it for some reason. I see that now there are some people commenting on the question. Carry on dodging it.

I moved from Australia 5 years ago mainly because the wonderful country seemed to becoming over regulated and expensive. I also took a heavy hit from the GFC with effected my lifestyle there. In Thailand I now live stress free with the best view in the world from my condo.

Please check out my web cam here for my view 24/7, http://fivestarvagabond.com/pattaya-webcam/

I travel extensively, and by living in Thailand in comparison with Australia I'm halfway to anywhere I want to go. smile.png

You know what, here is another reason why I live in Thailand, the smiling faces I come into contact with every day.

Try stopping a lady with her 2 children in the street in Australia or America and ask to take there photo, the cops will be there in 2 minutes.

Try taking a photo of workmen on a building site and see what reaction you get. Then in your local coffee shop ask the staff to pose for a photo and see how they react. smile.png Well here is what happens in Thailand.

post-213922-0-96262400-1442386242_thumb.

post-213922-0-03445000-1442386290_thumb.

post-213922-0-29525000-1442386364_thumb.

post-213922-0-89484000-1442386557_thumb.

I suspect a lot of the naysayers came to thailand as sort of Utopian dream, shacked up with some slapper, threw all their money in the pot and are now trapped for all intents and purposes, then there are those on here who came to Thailand "failed" for some reason went back to farangistan, and now spend their time on Thailand related forums slagging the place off

And finally there are those miserable<deleted> who would whinge where ever they are as they are just not happy unless they are complaining

And so ends post number 4

I don't believe the rules allow me to make such open ended accusations. I wonder how you can get so many posts and not know what a Thai basher is? You seem to want to stay away from it for some reason. I see that now there are some people commenting on the question. Carry on dodging it.

You are right Carl. GH is being rather disingenuous. Thai bashers are pretty easy to spot in just about every thread, including this one. There are herds of them grazing in the Thailand News section in particular. I can easily post a list of names, but it would be deleted post haste. Surely GH knows this.

When you live in a place for almost 50 years like I have you can see the progression of a country from when you came to the present. In addition, as one ages and has more and more experiences- you judge life and things based upon those experiences. I will always remember my first wife's words when first married. I would go on and on about how wonderful Thailand was and I could find nothing I disliked. She said: "Once you learn to speak and understand Thai, You won't like Thailand as much." And she was partially right. In addition, length of time and becoming more familiar with the culture and how things really work, change one's perspective. In fact, when we lived in the United States, she actually liked America better than Thailand. She perceived America as having a way of life that was based on fairness and equity, something she never found in Thailand. I, on the other hand, as the years passed, found America to be a land of greed, huge corporations living off the misery of the poor and a failed political system. I actually feel more comfortable in Thailand probably because I am frustrated by things in the States and not in Thailand, where I don't have to deal with the same issues.

I honestly do not like Thailand as much as I did when I first came, but one thing has always remained constant- the majority of Thai people are great to deal with; will go out of their way to help someone, and don't take life so serious. Most of the things I complain about in Thailand I cannot change so I grin and bear it.

Many of the things people complain about on the Board, I also complain about but usually not in public nor to any Thai people. I try to remember I am still a guest and a good guest tries to adjust to the surroundings.

However, some of those that complain use very uncomplimentary terms and use invective that is personal. There are a lot of angry people in the World now and this board has its share. They might want to adopt a more Mai Pen Rai attitude.

When you live in a place for almost 50 years like I have you can see the progression of a country from when you came to the present. In addition, as one ages and has more and more experiences- you judge life and things based upon those experiences. I will always remember my first wife's words when first married. I would go on and on about how wonderful Thailand was and I could find nothing I disliked. She said: "Once you learn to speak and understand Thai, You won't like Thailand as much." And she was partially right. In addition, length of time and becoming more familiar with the culture and how things really work, change one's perspective. In fact, when we lived in the United States, she actually liked America better than Thailand. She perceived America as having a way of life that was based on fairness and equity, something she never found in Thailand. I, on the other hand, as the years passed, found America to be a land of greed, huge corporations living off the misery of the poor and a failed political system. I actually feel more comfortable in Thailand probably because I am frustrated by things in the States and not in Thailand, where I don't have to deal with the same issues.

I honestly do not like Thailand as much as I did when I first came, but one thing has always remained constant- the majority of Thai people are great to deal with; will go out of their way to help someone, and don't take life so serious. Most of the things I complain about in Thailand I cannot change so I grin and bear it.

Many of the things people complain about on the Board, I also complain about but usually not in public nor to any Thai people. I try to remember I am still a guest and a good guest tries to adjust to the surroundings.

However, some of those that complain use very uncomplimentary terms and use invective that is personal. There are a lot of angry people in the World now and this board has its share. They might want to adopt a more Mai Pen Rai attitude.

Sir, very nicely put regarding references to Thailand above, i would have great difficulty disagreeing with any of it.

If i ever make it to living here for 50 years, i hope my opinions will reflect on yours above.

I still havnt a clue, An I've been here 8 years.

No seriously, I left my home in London UK in 2008 just before the crash. I was self employed working on contracts for a music company looking after certain artists,(I won't name them, I'm too modest) as personal advisor and driver taking them to concerts, arranging their hotels an staying there with them, making sure security was in place, all the PR duties. After parties an interviews. Loved the work but long hrs an away from home quite a bit. I was with them 12 years so had a good time overall.

Anyway work started to get a bit slow, contracts eased off quite a bit coz of cutbacks within the co. Also I had to supply my own vehicle to the co's specification (7 series BMW). And it had to be renewed every 3 years. I also had my house up for sale for the last 6 mths, but managed to get a buyer just in time before the chaos, so I decided to finish my contract work, sell the car still quite new top of the range got good price for it from my dealer, Then thought I would take the plunge an move to Thailand as I had been coming here for a few years previously anyway. I had not long finished a relationship also, so that woz a factor too.

I enjoyed my trips here so once my house was sorted an payments, I booked a one way ticket to Los. And here iam still today. I have a business here (not bar,restaurant) which is doing ok,getting by.

Anyway hope I didn't bore u all with the story, its the longest post I've ever written on here. Woz getting bit bored today wot with the poxy weather in Patts.

Statistically,

Totally not true, 20 times more than Europe. Haha.

Wot planet u from?

I´ve lived here full time in over 3 years now and I like it, BUT,, there is a lot of things I don´t like.

Ex today I was at IM office for renewal of my permit to stay, after the officer was done with my passport and put all the stamps etc in it I had to sit and wait one hour coz 4 other officers should have a look at it, and there was only me and 2 other guys waiting.

I love Thailand but often LOS for me means Land Of Stupid rather then Land Of Smile, they just don´t know how to do thing effectively here and that´s a pain in the ass.

Edited by pbonline

What ever gave you the idea I was concerned. I am interested in the reasons they stay here. Never know when some information will come in handy. You two are like all but one of the posters. You avoid the question. When all you can do is Thai bash why don't you leave? I am not asking for a list of all Thailand's good points or bad points. Just what is keeping you here when you feel that bad about Thailand. I am a curious man and am now wondering why so many people avoid the question.

Thank you for answering my question. It scared most people off.

I live here for the cheap slim women, your question didn't scare me off, I answered it, but you didn't like my answer.

Countries with cheap women are usually a bit iffy (actually mostly downright dangerous).

If I may suggest a few others where I know there are cheap women,

Brazil ..... you ever been there? really, really dangerous.

Columbia ....... if you can avoid the kidnappings and drug war shoot-outs in the streets, it's a fine place.

Philippines ......... almost every shop has a guard with a shotgun sitting outside, there is a reason for this.

Cambodia ....... populated by all of Pol Pot's former henchmen, they killed everyone else.

Now I'm prepared to put up with a lot of aggro in order to access the cheap slim women,but there are limits.

Thailand has now become borderline acceptable, once it slides a bit more down the Junta's slippery slope, I'll be living in Spain and to hell with the cheap slim women.

What ever gave you the idea I didn't like your answer. I thanked you for it. You were one of the very few who had the guts to answer the question.

Most of them were to scared to answer it.

Many gave reasons for staying and some did every thing in their power to dance away from it.

Not you.thumbsup.gif

Edited by big carl

Of topic I know but one hears so much about corruption in your experience 50 years I believe you said has

it got worse, better or just the same. I have nine years experience and have seen it up and down.

At the present I see a real effort at slowing it down.In my short period of time I feel more peace than at any other time.