Bangkok blast: Confusion over the identity of suspect

webfact

BANGKOK BLAST
Confusion over the identity of suspect

THE NATION

30268963-01_big.JPG?1442439709470

Lawyer to seek Turkey Embassy's assistance; Jakthip returns from Malaysia with 'useful info'

BANGKOK: -- THE LAWYER for Bilal Muhammed, one of the first men to be arrested in connection with the Bangkok bomb blast last month, will call on the Turkish embassy tomorrow to verify information given by his client.

Deputy national police chief General Jakthip Chaijinda returned from Malaysia yesterday, saying he had useful information to track down accomplices of those involved in the attack.

Lawyer Chuchart Kanpai said on Nation Channel that he plans to seek the help of the Turkish embassy to confirm statements made by Muhammed.

Earlier identified as Adem Karadag based on his fake passport, Muhammed was captured at an apartment in Bangkok where some bomb-making materials were also seized on August 26.

Thai authorities believe these materials were related to the recent blasts in the capital.

"But he told me that he entered Thailand on August 21," the lawyer said.

The bloody bomb attack on the Erawan Shrine took place on August 17, killing 20 people and wounding more than 100. The following day, an explosive blew up harmlessly under Sathorn Pier.

Chuchart said he did not believe everything that Muhammed has told him.

"I will try to find the truth. If he violated laws, he will be punished," he said.

Muhammed was cited as saying that he was born in China, is of Uighur origin and had migrated to Turkey in 2004 along with his family.

His family has already obtained Turkish citizenship, though he has not yet received his Turkish passport, so he had to use a counterfeit one to travel to Vietnam in the hope of finding a job in Southeast Asia.

"He said he had US$4,000 [bt143,840] in his pocket when he left Turkey. In Vietnam, he met a man known as Abdullah who provided him with a new fake passport for $1,200," Chuchart said.

Abdullah took Muhammed from Vietnam to Laos and then Thailand.

"He said he expected to travel to Malaysia to seek a job there," the lawyer said.

Chuchart was quoted in earlier reports as saying that the suspect had insisted he was at the wrong place at the wrong time, and that he did not play any role in the bomb plot.

The Abdullah referred to by Muhammed is most probably Abu Dustar Abdulrahman, or Izan, who flew out of Bangkok on August 16 to unclear destinations and is one of the 12 suspects wanted by Thai authorities. Police reportedly asked Turkey for cooperation to trace his whereabouts.

On Tuesday, the Turkish embassy issued a statement saying it has not yet been contacted by Thai authorities to verify any information about Izan and that it has no information concerning the investigation.

A police source said officials from the Turkish embassy had come to the Metropolitan Police Headquarters yesterday to help check more than 200 passports that police had retrieved from the apartment where Muhammed was nabbed.

Jakthip refused to confirm whether any of the three suspects in Malaysian custody were the yellow-shirted suspect seen in footage before the Erawan Shrine blast or the blue-shirted suspect accused of the Sathorn Pier blast.

"We need to investigate further," he said.

He added that either he or another senior Thai police officer might be allowed to interrogate the three suspects in Malaysia today.

Police has already gained a lot of information on the yellow-shirted man, he said.

National police chief General Somyot Poompanmuang dismissed reports that the recent Bangkok bombings were in retaliation for Thailand's deportation of Uighurs to China.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Confusion-over-the-identity-of-suspect-30268963.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-17

"BANGKOK: -- National police chief Pol Gen Somyot Poompanmoung admitted on Tuesday that the twin bombings at the Erawan Shrine and Sathorn pier on August 17-18 were linked to Thailand’s decision to send 109 Uighur illegal migrants back to China and the crackdown on human trafficking gang in Thailand."

The above in the Nation Tuesday.......

"National police chief General Somyot Poompanmuang dismissed reports that the recent Bangkok bombings were in retaliation for Thailand's deportation of Uighurs to China."

The above in todays Nation........

My guess is they are nowhere where they should be!

Preposterous Thai diatribe of denial of responsibility.

Not sure what you think should be happening?

Not sure how this is an attack on anyone?

What's interesting is the police are both confirming and denying the Uighur connection.

However, extradition of suspects - even with known ID's is a long winded process.

Tack onto that the international terrorist wanting to hide their ID and change their names, and the multiple ID's immigrants can adopt, it becomes a Gordian knot.

Reading this report, and following the reports of current arrest, I'd say they are doing an excellent job.

At least no-one is saying the investigation is x% completed.

Am I reading this so-called news report correctly that the accused's lawyer has said he doesn't believe everything his client has said etc. Pleased he isn't representing me in court, sounds like he must be working for the opposite side.

"BANGKOK: -- National police chief Pol Gen Somyot Poompanmoung admitted on Tuesday that the twin bombings at the Erawan Shrine and Sathorn pier on August 17-18 were linked to Thailand’s decision to send 109 Uighur illegal migrants back to China and the crackdown on human trafficking gang in Thailand."

The above in the Nation Tuesday.......

"National police chief General Somyot Poompanmuang dismissed reports that the recent Bangkok bombings were in retaliation for Thailand's deportation of Uighurs to China."

The above in todays Nation........

My guess is they are nowhere where they should be!

Would have been better for Somyot to have quoted anon...

"I'm never wrong. I once thought I was wrong, turns out, I was mistaken."

Am I reading this so-called news report correctly that the accused's lawyer has said he doesn't believe everything his client has said etc. Pleased he isn't representing me in court, sounds like he must be working for the opposite side.

"I will try to find the truth. If he violated laws, he will be punished," he said.

Did the Junta hire this lawyer to be the defense attorney? Blessed Buddha wai2.gif

Just wondering if this is related to the reports I remember reading that the Thai police had paid the 3 million Bht reward to themselves a while ago....

if the reward was paid, then why? if it is suspects only or those responsible are unknown or unconfirmed?

maybe I am wrong, this is not a troll post.... but when the reward was supposedly paid, a lot of people were incredulous at the news!

It now seems that mostly things are still unknown.... is this really the case?! facepalm.gif

Just wondering if this is related to the reports I remember reading that the Thai police had paid the 3 million Bht reward to themselves a while ago....

if the reward was paid, then why? if it is suspects only or those responsible are unknown or unconfirmed?

maybe I am wrong, this is not a troll post.... but when the reward was supposedly paid, a lot of people were incredulous at the news!

It now seems that mostly things are still unknown.... is this really the case?! facepalm.gif

Jumping to erroneous conclusions on the basis of wishful thinking is what they do best.

Publicity opportunity - big money involved (for low ranking police anyway) - someone in custody who fits the preferred profile, i.e. foreigner - why wait to see if its real thing? Give me the money right now!

Jumping to erroneous conclusions on the basis of wishful thinking is what they do best.

Publicity opportunity - big money involved (for low ranking police anyway) - someone in custody who fits the preferred profile, i.e. foreigner - why wait to see if its real thing? Give me the money right now!

This debacle is proof enough as far as I am concerned that the Immigration people are more concerned with retired farangs and their bank accounts and other such petty matters when they should be looking at the real dangers to Thailand wandering through the porous borders.

"A police source said officials from the Turkish embassy had come to the Metropolitan Police Headquarters yesterday to help check more than 200 passports that police had retrieved from the apartment where Muhammed was nabbed."

Has this been checked with the Turkish embassy? Seems one cannot trust any police statement in this investigation anymore. Stupidity in it's purest form. What do those guys think when they tell the press they are working together with Turkish authorities, while they are not??? Or are the Turks lying?

And why only now check those passports? How long since they have them? Indeed Koh Tao all over again!!!

It is for our Thai family that we will not finish with the country. But it feels very relieved that we sold out Thai business and Phuket home. And the sods actually believe they can lure quality tourists to go Thailand. Foreigners are free game in the Kingdom. If something happens you're on your own.

Edited by EricBerg

As Srikcir pointed out, the only juicy bit in this article is that the suspect has been given the world's worst lawyer.

If he truly was just wrong place, wrong time - which is entirely possible given the complete clusterf*** the case has been - then the poor bastard is truly screwed.

Ban entry to anyone showing a Turkish passport. Ban anyone wearing a Burkka. Ban anyone wearing a veil.

We tried to make plans where to go on holiday without running into Muslim terrorists and you know it's quite difficult. The ONLY country in North Africa that is safe ish is Morocco and even that lovely country is changing.

The Eastern EU countries are getting more and more troublesome SO WHERE TO GO

I've got it !!! The Isle of White UK South Coast. Boring but safe ISH

Preposterous Thai diatribe of denial of responsibility.

Unless I missed something Abduhlah took Mohumad from Vietnam to Laos, then Thailand ----- Abduhlah left Thailand on the 16/2015

So how come he arrived in Thailand after the Bomb blast, his maths is bad.

Where is his forged passport and arrival stamp???coffee1.gif

Infact where is his only current chinese passport ?