Stranded villagers rescued from flooded homes

Rimmer

Stranded villagers rescued from flooded homes

Huay-Yai4.jpg

Huay Yai:--Heavy rain has caused Klong Pai Lake to overflow, ripping up roads and causing streams of floods through the communities of Huay Yai

In the early hours of the 17th of September, updates on the damage caused by tropical storm Vamco showed the true extent of the damage it havocked the night before.

Local authorities, police and soldiers joined volunteers from the Sawang Boriboon Rescue Team set out on a mission by boats to rescue as many villagers as possible. They found more than 40 homes in Baan Rongnamtan Kao were under waist-high water.

More than 20 residents were trapped in their homes, including a 7 day-old infant who was with her 72 year-old grandmother Mrs. Surin Petchkaew. On being rescued the shaken but relieved woman told authorities that as she was taking care of her new grandchild in her home, the waters gushed through in. “Everything happened so fast that I had no time to think or even escape” she lamented. “So I grabbed the baby and held her close to my breast high above the water to keep her safe.” It was more than 3 hours later that the rescuers reached her and pulled the elderly woman and the infant to safety.

Fortunately there have been no reports of any injuries or loss of life and all villagers stranded in their homes have been rescued.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/stranded-villagers-rescued-from-flooded-homes-51378#sthash.hfwbKPTy.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2015-09-17 footer_n.gif

I'm going to post this again. These guys are really good. Saved our butts today. From the Pattaya Flooding thread:

Well, we're completely flooded. Everybody in the village has been evacuated. And for good reasons.

A HUGE shout out to the Thai rescue squad. What an amazing group of dedicated professionals. I've got my 90 year old mother with late stage Alzheimer's. They were fantastic dealing with her. Which is not easy. A group of about 7 came to our house, in waist deep water, head lamps on, and carried her out. Took my wife, me and the care giver out also in their huge (and high) truck.

I can't describe how emotional it is to see your beautiful house flooded about 10 inches deep. Everything ruined. We worked our butts off trying to keep things dry. But to no avail. Others are in even worse shape with water over the beds.

I've read about people dealing with floods over the years. It's a horrible thing to experience. Yesterday at my friend's house in Pattaya till late. Today at my house...all day. I'm beat and at a local "no tell motel" down the road. Me, my wife and the dog. Dog was not allowed at the Ambassador, but mom is there with the caregiver. Actually, quite a nice room for 2,200B!

What a fricking nightmare.