PM slams remarks by an ambassador

Lite Beer

Unfortunately, Thailand has always been, and always will be the small-minded, corrupt and greedy, backwards little culture that it is. Anything else would be a genetic impossibility.

You can throw all the money, education, and laws you want at it...but you can't change a cultures' DNA.

Lying, cheating, and stealing (with a smile) has always been the 'silent' mantra. Any attempt at outside influence is just be a waste of time. We, as 'outsiders' sometimes find it 'cute or amusing' how the locals go about it. But at the end of the day, there is nothing 'cute' about any of it. Facts are...T.I.T. will always be...T.I.T.

Do you think people would have said the same about Germany and Japan in the 1930's? People and cultures can change. China is changing now. Cuba is changing now. Cambodia changed. America is changing. Detroit used to be one of the richest cities in the USA and is now a 3rd world ghetto. I would think the only genetic impossibility is you being open minded.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it mainly the thais & the PM himself who don't understand or reporting incorrectly :-)

How I want to see this Junta & current political opposition crash & burn & someone with substance step into the limelight ...

What would do Obama if the Thai Ambassador has some rant how the political system in USA is rotten and not democratic and they should do a military coup.

I guess he would get the boot into his back side......

Here it is the same.....

Codswallop, you guessed wrongly.

1) The British Ambassador never advocated a military coup.

2) In the US, anyone (Thai Ambassador, John Doe) can criticize the American political system, and will not get kicked. Heck, they can criticize Obama himself, call him names. The media can do the same. Same in the UK, Australia etc.

One day in the future, when Thailand has more enlightened leaders, such freedoms may exist here too.

Okay now I'm worried about staying in Thailand. The situation is getting worst for foreigners. Bombs, lack of human rights, immigration rules changing, borders monitored and now this. Time to get out, before the lynch mobs arrive.

Yes, time for you to go. Your attitude belongs to old-style medieval Thailand which we all hope will be phased out after the reforms.

I will stay because the only lynch mobs I have ever seen here have been red-shirts - and since the coup, they have been kept at home because the people who pay them can't trust the police to protect them now.

Plus I am safe to walk anywhere in Bangkok without fear of a grenade attack and the only people whose rights have been restricted are those intent on taking things back how they were.

The immigration situation will sort itself out once the petulant egos have been satisfied. It's been the same whoever is in charge and always will be with the ridiculous Thai 'Face'.

Oh - you didn't go anywhere. What a surprise.

You seem to be misinformed.It is the old-style medieval Thailand the Junta wishes to preserve.

Nobody knows what reforms have been proposed.None have been implemented.The major challenges have been ducked.

The only clear objective is to rig a constitution that neutralises the Thai majority, and gives a permanent license to brute force to intervene.

The regime (actually any regime) should not be judged on how comfortable middle aged foreigners (many who came to Thailand for the worst of reasons) believe themselves to be.Laughable that these people seem to think the crack down on visa runners is of any significance one way or the other.

I would like to know what the ambassador said. I was taught "Sticks and stones may break my bones will never hurt me"

So if the ambassador was only giving an opinion how was he interfering with Thailands domestic problems? Opinions are opinions actions acting on them is another thing.

Judge for yourself:

http://blogs.fco.gov.uk/markkent/2015/09/15/international-day-of-democracy/

Sounds like Glyn Davies written all over it. If it was him he would have understood exactly what Prayut said in Thai especially since Glyn and his wife and kids did the intense Thai language training. They even introduced themselves to the Thai people on video showing off those new polished language skills.

When one comes from a background like Davies that has seen him meddling in Korean politics he must be forgiven for thinking that it is normal for America to have complete and utter control and manipulation over another country like they have over South Korea.

Maybe Davies should have spent more time studying Thai politics and history and less time studying the language.

It wasn't him, it was Mark Kent that the PM was referring to based on this speech:

http://blogs.fco.gov.uk/markkent/2015/09/15/international-day-of-democracy/

Okay now I'm worried about staying in Thailand. The situation is getting worst for foreigners. Bombs, lack of human rights, immigration rules changing, borders monitored and now this. Time to get out, before the lynch mobs arrive.

Yes, time for you to go. Your attitude belongs to old-style medieval Thailand which we all hope will be phased out after the reforms.

I will stay because the only lynch mobs I have ever seen here have been red-shirts - and since the coup, they have been kept at home because the people who pay them can't trust the police to protect them now.

Plus I am safe to walk anywhere in Bangkok without fear of a grenade attack and the only people whose rights have been restricted are those intent on taking things back how they were.

The immigration situation will sort itself out once the petulant egos have been satisfied. It's been the same whoever is in charge and always will be with the ridiculous Thai 'Face'.

I didn't see a problem with the UK' Ambassadors comment and the PM has every right to say what he thinks about it, the problem is that if others make comment that is not in the party line then it's off too "AA" while having your assets frozen etc.

Is it not his job to comment and report the situation on the ground? What did he say that was reported wrongly?

The country most defiantly needs reform and transparency, change, all sides agree to this, the problem is what kind of changes will there be? ie why the draft constitution was rejected.

As for your comment: "I will stay because the only lynch mobs I have ever seen here have been red-shirts" I haven't seen any "lynch mobs" for many years, but hey

If you have evidence then please show us, You seem to cry murdering red-shirts again and again, and yes there are extremist's that need to be gaoled, but you are not consistent at all as the bias in you red-shirt attacks are leveled at one side only and you lay no charge of violence towards others, that seems to be a major problem for you, non-bias, equality, accountability, regardless of politics.

There is plenty of violence and blame for all sides, the problem is some don't see that and are only willing to point the finger at the other side, remind you of someone you know?whistling.gif

I think it mainly the thais & the PM himself who don't understand or reporting incorrectly :-)

How I want to see this Junta & current political opposition crash & burn & someone with substance step into the limelight ...

What would do Obama if the Thai Ambassador has some rant how the political system in USA is rotten and not democratic and they should do a military coup.

I guess he would get the boot into his back side......

Here it is the same.....

2) In the US, anyone (Thai Ambassador, John Doe) can criticize the American political system, and will not get kicked. Heck, they can criticize Obama himself, call him names. The media can do the same. Same in the UK, Australia etc.

One day in the future, when Thailand has more enlightened leaders, such freedoms may exist here too.

Quite. As if any American president would be so thin-skinned as to lose any sleep over the words of 'Which country did you say he came from again?' in the first place.

A trip away from Thailand every once in a while helps cure Stockholm Syndrome and disabuse the notion that Thailand is this weighty global presence..

"Outsiders do not understand"

yup we 'outsiders', we lowly 'farang' and 'aliens' do not understand about precious Thailand that xenophobic of countries

truth is... most Thais don't 'get it' either... but DAMN you Ambassadors!!! go home !!!!!!!!!!!! I AM THAI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes we do understand. The problem is we don't agree with you simple as that. A big difference. if this man is to become a real PM then he needs to grow thick skin, a backbone and stop offering to have a 'straightener' with anyone who disagrees with him. Very childish IMO.

I often here from Thai that outsiders don't understand Thailand. Many of us have been here long enough to fully understand. It is we just don't agree with you. Please deal with it. I deal with the fact that your views are often different to mine.

I agree.

I'll make a bold - or not so bold - statement that most Thais do NOT understand the world at large; outside it's tiny borders/mindset/experience/education.

What rudeness from a leader, ( abet Un - Elected) , there are certain protocols that should be followed and this matter should be handled by foreign affairs , the Leader of a country is above mud sticking politics , this reminds me of a retired Thai General that actually showed a lot of promise and ended up with symptoms of international pressure paranoia ( IPP ) ( Out of pay grade depth ) ( OOPGD )coffee1.gif

Edited by chainarong

Unfortunately, Thailand has always been, and always will be the small-minded, corrupt and greedy, backwards little culture that it is. Anything else would be a genetic impossibility.

You can throw all the money, education, and laws you want at it...but you can't change a cultures' DNA.

Lying, cheating, and stealing (with a smile) has always been the 'silent' mantra. Any attempt at outside influence is just be a waste of time. We, as 'outsiders' sometimes find it 'cute or amusing' how the locals go about it. But at the end of the day, there is nothing 'cute' about any of it. Facts are...T.I.T. will always be...T.I.T.

Sounds like the place I'd like to be cheesy.gif

Sounds like Glyn Davies written all over it. If it was him he would have understood exactly what Prayut said in Thai especially since Glyn and his wife and kids did the intense Thai language training. They even introduced themselves to the Thai people on video showing off those new polished language skills.

When one comes from a background like Davies that has seen him meddling in Korean politics he must be forgiven for thinking that it is normal for America to have complete and utter control and manipulation over another country like they have over South Korea.

Maybe Davies should have spent more time studying Thai politics and history and less time studying the language.

That's the second time in as many months that you have had a pop at the new US ambassador. What's the problem? You're not usually reticent about letting us know what you think!

The fact is many foreign countries,their politicians, diplomats et al have no idea what the political situation was before the general took control. The so called"democracy" ( which was a corrupt thai version)?was falling apart. Elections will come when the constitution is approved and politicians and parties Know the new rules and laws. Until then YES.... It aint no business of foreign countries. They can go and complain to other "non democratic states"who they have good relations with, China, Cuba etc.

Edited by kingalfred

I think foreign ambassadors not only receive detailed briefings but have lines of contact within all sectors of the country they are dealing with to keep their information current.

To claim foreign ambassadors of developed countries had/have little understanding of the level of corruption in Thailand is a specious argument.

"Outsiders do not understand"

yup we 'outsiders', we lowly 'farang' and 'aliens' do not understand about precious Thailand that xenophobic of countries

truth is... most Thais don't 'get it' either... but DAMN you Ambassadors!!! go home !!!!!!!!!!!! I AM THAI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you really think your incoherent and irrational comment demonstrates understanding and represents something Thais should listen to?

Do you really think that was the point of the post?

Maybe you should refrain from posting if your attempted stinging retort completely fizzles out in to an inaudible and non-smelly fart.

Not only did the Ambassador not understand, but it is very apparent that some of the people in Thaivisa also. It is a problem with some some people want to make the country they are in be like the counter they left. Respect the country and it customs, culture and laws you are in. This is part of the problem in the EU, many new arrivals want there laws to override the laws of the country. If you do not like it plans fly out of Thailand also.

We are all looking for fairness. Although, not necessarily treated fairly, foreigners are actually treated better than Thais. We find what Thais do to each other far more alarming; slavery, attitude adjustments, loan sharking.

The fact is many foreign countries,their politicians, diplomats et al have no idea what the political situation was before the general took control.

The likes of Eritrea and Burundi may or may not, but it is absolutely preposterous to say that in the case of the West, Russia and China. Or prove me wrong - Where is this 'fact'?

Not bad really, outrage at ' wrong reporting ' coming from a country whose officials happily make public statements on behalf of other nations, international organisations etc without any authority.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

" Your attitude belongs to old-style medieval Thailand...."

You mean, as opposed to the progressive military junta regime??

"...which we all hope will be phased out after the reforms."

What reforms? I have seen a lot of talk about lottery and bike lanes but precious little about slightly more important matters like reforming the RTP and the military? Or, since you are a Bangkok resident and more enlightened that the styupid masses in the provinces maybe you could enlighten us?

"The immigration situation will sort itself out once the petulant egos have been satisfied."

You really shouldn't talk like that about the PM. Remember that we do not live in a democracy and that if you don't like it you can go home!

Having surrounded himself with 'yes' men and hysterical opinion polls and reporting all is well to the 'real' power brokers ( it's not him) in Thailand he claims outsiders don't understand.

I think it's you mr general that doesn't understand.

But it's ok, as long as the power stays in the control of the junta all will be well.

Thailand knows best. We understand that a lot of our people are happy to live in the 13th century. They are happy. They like me.

Sorry....but I think not.

There will come a point when it's going to come crashing down and then what?

Will the people you 'care so much about' be free from corruption and incompetence?

Have a look around you mate,

It ain't working.

But there is this growing feeling I think that you don't care if it works or not.

Shame for this beautiful country and the majority if it's people

Ah, I was wondering when the usual drama queen comments would appear. Lynch mobs, lol why<deleted>would you think a mob would be after some anon falang, your more likely to die from a drunk driver or your bar girl / boy than a mob.

All of the points you make have been the situation long before the coup and will always be the case in Thailand.

and anyway they wouldn't get the noose right, they would have to use a machete.

Somewhat true. Just do not try criticizing anyone in the US using non PC language, or try comparing the Gaza strip to a concentration camp.

The fact is many foreign countries,their politicians, diplomats et al have no idea what the political situation was before the general took control. The so called"democracy" ( which was a corrupt thai version)?was falling apart. Elections will come when the constitution is approved and politicians and parties Know the new rules and laws. Until then YES.... It aint no business of foreign countries. They can go and complain to other "non democratic states"who they have good relations with, China, Cuba etc.

Never heard of diplomatic cables from embassies and diplomatic missions to their respective foreign ministries ?

They do sometimes take time off from playing golf.

Prayut is right - Thailand is and remains a Thai only affair. We are guests (even after 30+ years).

Instead of slamming on a head of mission (doing his/her job reporting back to his Minister of Foreign Affairs of the country he/she represents) Prayut or his speakers might though brief the diplomatic corps on what is done to shed some light on what happens in Thailand.

And yes, things are done different here and, unlike Europe kissing everybody's lower end of the spine from early mornings to late evenings without any chance of having a say - the Thais do it their way round. Right or wrong - it's their country and their decisions and they will have to work it out themselves - "alien" involvement is not requested nor desired.

In closing, a diplomat's report back to his/her home country cannot be criticised as much as a diplomat cannot criticise the host country; never forget that a diplomat is trained to tell you to go to hell in such a way that you're looking forward to the trip!