Border Run Alternatives

19 minutes ago, ELLHNAS said:

Is the Nong Khai border still ok for a 90 day reset (pop in and pop out on the same day) for a multiple entry O visa holder?

Yes

19 minutes ago, ELLHNAS said:

Have to stay in Laos overnight?

No

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, cubism001 said:

My plan is:

fly in from US to Ch Mai middle of April & receive 30 days (I'm a US cit)

Before that expires, fly to Udon, then go to Vientiane, Lao for a tourist visa.

I've been out of Thailand (in the States) for a couple of years

Does that sound OK?   

Thanks for this advice. My biggest worry was giving up my apt., buying a ticket & not being allowed into Thailand. (resulting in homelessness in the US)..so 14 days of self quarantine in Ch Mai would be okay.  I guess I should apply for the tourist visa asap. 

I strongly advise reconsidering this trip. Even if your current plan is to stay in Thailand less than 90 days.

-You will be spending an awful lot of time on more than one airplane, congregating at airports.

-Go back to the posts on this thread from early January and read my update about return to Thailand after 6 months away. In particular, Chiang Mai Immigration is back to their old inefficiencies on ALL extensions: They now make you go all the way to the end of the building and wait for 1-2 hours for your extension in a crowded indoor space. In early 2019, by sharp contrast, you were in and out in 15 minutes or less, and you could wait by the large doors at the entrance. You could even wait outside and hear your number called. Now, you have to wait deep inside the building, among many people close together.

-If you need to do a visa run, you're stuck in a bus for 10-11 hours round trip, and the songtaew drivers at the Mae Sai bus station now sardine pack those vehicles before heading to the border, as well as on the return to the bus terminal.

I've been doing quasi-isolation for about 6 weeks, and right now my two biggest concerns are visa extension and visa run, if I end up staying for another 60 days after my current entry expires. I have also cancelled my annual medical and dermatological check-ups that I normally have done in Chiang Mai -- I want to get my exams, but the last place I want to go is a hospital!

If you're registered on this forum, you get the emails and you have an idea of how things are being handled in Thailand -- also a consideration. I reckon the virus is being handled better than in some places, worse than in others, but it's something to consider and draw your own conclusions.

• Like 1

I'm currently on a SETV that was extended today (pjuh!) and I'm in need of a border run at the 16th of april. Fingers crossed things have settled down by then. 

With the downturn of tourists I have a fear that border-run agents would stop their tours (I'm in Pattaya). So, is it "difficult" to do one by myself? Is there any documents that I need? Rent a taxi/private driver? 

- Swedish

- No border entry this year

- No Visa Exempt this year

- 1 SETV (applied for in Sweden) 

If I may be so rude to do a follow up question that is slightly off topic: is it correctly understood that Vieantiene is strict/will decline a SETV application if you just recently had one, or is that something that I heard wrong? 

• Like 1

From Pattaya, doing a border run yourself via Chanthaburi is time consuming, but will be possible (assuming visa exempt entries and public transport are still available). You need only your passport, visa photos for the Cambodian visa on arrival and cash.

4 minutes ago, BritTim said:

From Pattaya, doing a border run yourself via Chanthaburi is time consuming, but will be possible (assuming visa exempt entries and public transport are still available). You need only your passport, visa photos for the Cambodian visa on arrival and cash.

Assuming the Camb side will give a visa.  They have barred entries from much of Europe and USA and it is not clear if that will be enforced based on passport or travel history (and if the latter, how that would be determined).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Assuming the Camb side will give a visa.  They have barred entries from much of Europe and USA and it is not clear if that will be enforced based on passport or travel history (and if the latter, how that would be determined).

Good points. If the passport shows he has been in Thailand for over 14 days, one would hope they would admit him, but that is far from certain.

21 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Is it official that they have banned US citizens from entering?

thakns in advance ????

It is official that they have banned people coming from the US from entering, also many other countries. 

It is unknown how this is being applied by Imm officers at border entry points, whether based on nationality or travel history (and if on travel history how that would be determined given that there are few direct flights anyhow).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WoW, page 109 ... may be more than time to freeze it and start a new TOPIC about the same theme ????

Can anyone say which borders are still open?
I just heard that Malayia its closing its borders tonight (?) so its not possible to ride to Penang or KL
and Myanmar since a couple of days already which makes it impossible riding to Ranong

anyone certain info?

I am kind of stuck here now. I had a flight on 30th of March from Singapore but my Airline just informed me yesterday not to come to S´pore since they have cancelled all flights to Germany. My Visa is finish on April 2nd.

I read yesterday there is an addition to the police order regarding VISA extensions for a month. If the Embassy give you a paper stating the flight is cancelled, Immigrations will give you an unbureaucratic extension of a month (for 1900.-Baht ???? )
unfortunately German Embassy never heard of it and Phuket Immigration obviously neither

On 3/12/2020 at 12:26 PM, Mangkhut said:

Any of the bordercrossings from Thailand into the Xayabouri province of Laos have been a nogo for thai plated motorbikes for some years now. If I remember correct there were some riders that did something that upset the head of immigration in that province, ran away from an accident or something like that. 

Actually the only bordercrossings Thailand to Laos thats doable for the moment for thai plated motorbikes are Chiang Khong-Huay Xai or Nong Khai-Vientiane (friendship bridge 1) If youre bike is in the system and you meet a custom officer in a good mood you might be able to enter Laos though a few other bc but thats quite accidental. 
But these things change ever so often so to get the very latest news about this its better to ask on GTRiders forum or Rideasia forum.

That applies for any motorcycles coming across from Thailand - they could be from Malaysia or anywhere. Lao plated motorcycles have never been allowed into Thailand and the Thai-Lao transport agreement doesn't cover them to begin with...it's only for cars, trucks and buses.

On 3/17/2020 at 9:22 AM, Sheryl said:

It is official that they have banned people coming from the US from entering, also many other countries. 

It is unknown how this is being applied by Imm officers at border entry points, whether based on nationality or travel history (and if on travel history how that would be determined given that there are few direct flights anyhow).

There have never been any direct flights from the USA to Cambodia.

I suspect the officials will ban you based on your passport. Cambodia isn't exactly known for being very friendly to westerners at the moment. Hun Sen never banned Chinese, but he quickly banned Americans and some European nationalities. Says it all really...despite Anutin's racist rant, at least Thailand isn't treating European travelers worse than Chinese...

I just heard that Malaysia is closing its borders tonight Wed March 18th (?) so its not possible to ride to Penang or KL
and Myanmar since a couple of days already which makes it impossible riding to Ranong

anyone certain info?

I am kind of stuck here now. I had a flight on 30th of March from Singapore but my Airline just informed me yesterday not to come to S´pore since they have cancelled all flights to Germany. My Visa is finish on April 2nd.

I read yesterday there is an addition to the police order regarding VISA extensions for a month. If the Embassy give you a paper stating the flight is cancelled, Immigrations will give you an unbureaucratic extension of a month (for 1900.-Baht ???? )
unfortunately German Embassy never heard of it and Phuket Immigration obviously neither

I'm a newbie and really need your help!

I'm a US citizen living in Bangkok with a 1 year Multi Entry Visa. Per immigration I must leave Thailand before mid April and come back in to get another 90 days stamp on my Passport upon entry.

Given coronavirus and many borders closed or closing, what are the best/easiest options now? Help!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, phungo said:

I'm a newbie and really need your help!

Hi phungo,
unfortunately it looks like ppl not reading here anymore or at least no ppl having a clear advise what to do and which borders are still open. I am having kind of the same problem.
Since you are in Bangkok, i would suggest go to the USAmerican Embassy, tell them what happend and that you dont want to have any problems here with the Authorities, may be they give you a letter of support, if not or anyways you should just visit the ThaiEmbassy and ask what to do now, if there are still any humans working, they should understand our concerns and help you unburocratical...
just a suggestion i am not a professional, just living here since 20 years and my ticket was just cancelled yesterday ???? my Visa is finish on April 2 nd

You can try to ask on the FaceBook THAIVISA page... seems to be the new forum there

Edited by moskito

5 hours ago, moskito said:

I just heard that Malaysia is closing its borders tonight Wed March 18th (?) so its not possible to ride to Penang or KL

anyone certain info?

Ranong Grand andaman harrbor i open, i read this today on Facebook hd Visa

HD Visa อยู่ที่ HD Visa

After talking with the officials at the border today we decided to make another trip on Friday.

Attention: This trip is mainly for those that will not get the mentioned letter from the embassy to extend their visa here at the Samui immigration and booked a visa trip with us that had to be postponed. You will receive a 30-day stamp on re-entry.

Please book with our offices in Maenam or Nathon, both are open tomorrow 8.30am to 12.30pm and 1.30pm to 5pm. Meeting (you need a voucher, don't come without a valid booking) is Friday, at 4.20am at the HDVisa office in Nathon.

The price is 2.990 THB.

For everyone that already booked a now postponed visa tour with us, the price is 2.750 THB (the price for bookings 30 days in advance). Your visa tour booking stays valid and we will contact you as soon as we are able to go to Kota Bharu again.

After Friday's trip, we won't go on border bounces until at least the end of the month. Malaysia itself is closed until 31st of March pending further extension, so we won't go on visa tours either.

Screenshot_20200223-081958.png

• Like 1

https://www.tatnews.org/2020/03/tat-update-thailand-public-health-ministry-updated-covid-19-control-measures-for-travellers/

The article discusses the 3 types of country groups, w. the US in #2, or 

ongoing local transmission areas:

France, Spain, the United States of America. Health insurance, medical cert.

This is straight from the govt. website.  Pls give your own reference clearly; I'm sitting here in the states holding a ticket that is, or is not, worthless. I can't find anything like what you've described ('banned.) But if it's out there, I need to read about it & make plans.'Thank you.

7 hours ago, cubism001 said:

https://www.tatnews.org/2020/03/tat-update-thailand-public-health-ministry-updated-covid-19-control-measures-for-travellers/

The article discusses the 3 types of country groups, w. the US in #2, or 

ongoing local transmission areas:

France, Spain, the United States of America. Health insurance, medical cert.

This is straight from the govt. website.  Pls give your own reference clearly; I'm sitting here in the states holding a ticket that is, or is not, worthless. I can't find anything like what you've described ('banned.) But if it's out there, I need to read about it & make plans.'Thank you.

1. I do not think an in/out by air between Thailand and the US is what most people would term a "border run alternative".
  2. Unless you are planning to fly today or tomorrow, it is impossible to predict your reception on arrival (I assume) at an airport in Thailand.
  • Haha 1

Hi I am living in Chiang Mai on a 2 month tourist visa and i already did the 1 month extension. My visa runs out on the 22nd so i have to do a border run as i think visa runs are out of the question. I was just at the immigration office where they told me that the Laos border is closed (i think they were misinformed and it is closed for visa on arrival...) and you now need an entry visa for Mae Sai (or is it all Myanmar border crossings).

In addition i have heard that Thailand will be closing its borders today, March 19th. If so anyone leaving would not be able to return i assume. 

If anyone knows the best place for me to go on a border run ASAP please let me know. Mae Sai or Mae Sot presumably. 

Many Thanks

2 minutes ago, sammael said:

Hi I am living in Chiang Mai on a 2 month tourist visa and i already did the 1 month extension. My visa runs out on the 22nd

If anyone knows the best place for me to go on a border run ASAP please let me know. Mae Sai or Mae Sot presumably. 

Many Thanks

UNFORTUNATELY ThaiVisa Forum seems not to be the right place anymore to go for REAL INFORMATION about your or my question.
It always WAS for years the non plus ultra for good informations.... i am having no idea what happend here  but it seems to sale comercial in the lower right corner on my screen here is more important to them now.
:
I cant understand that many people HEARD somthing but nobony really KNOWS anything regarding Borders and if they are  open or not.
I checked all day yesterday and HEARD Phuket Airport goes into shut down on 25th of January... hear a lot, know NOTHING ????

If ANYONE here KNOW something please let us know about OPEN BORDERS. 
ATM i am only 95% sure Malaysia Borders are closed...because i HEARD something ????

1 hour ago, sammael said:

Hi I am living in Chiang Mai on a 2 month tourist visa and i already did the 1 month extension. My visa runs out on the 22nd so i have to do a border run as i think visa runs are out of the question. I was just at the immigration office where they told me that the Laos border is closed (i think they were misinformed and it is closed for visa on arrival...) and you now need an entry visa for Mae Sai (or is it all Myanmar border crossings).

In addition i have heard that Thailand will be closing its borders today, March 19th. If so anyone leaving would not be able to return i assume. 

Many Thanks

What's the difference between a visa and border run I thought the terms were used synonymously.

1 hour ago, sammael said:

Can you still fly into and enter Malaysia? because at this point id rather enter and stay there with the 3 month free visa without worrying i have to leave again before this virus craziness is over.

no idea of KL Airport but if you find out, pls let me/us know.
I just read in THAIGER  news Malaysia and Thailand have shut their borders to foreigners

He PLANS ... so lets hope he DO something too ????

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/thai-tourism-minister-plans-help-for-tourists-stranded-and-worried-about-overstaying-visas

Edited by moskito

1 hour ago, stament said:

What's the difference between a visa and border run I thought the terms were used synonymously.

he wrote he DID his extension VisaRun ALREADY ... so now he want to do a border run, may be not everybody is perfect in English here, sometimes i wish also my English is better but i bet its better as most of the English ppls German, Spanish or Thai ????
:
BTW ... Malaysian Borders are now close for foreigners

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/thai-malaysia-border-sealed

Edited by moskito

2 hours ago, stament said:

Visa run means you get a new visa, so you would need to go to a consulate or embassy......a border run just requires you to leave the country and come back in - normally on a visa-free entry stamp.

Edited by Airbagwill
  • Thanks 1