Border Run Alternatives

On 11/29/2019 at 5:00 PM, ubonjoe said:

Or the crossing in Hat Lek in Trat province.

Is that the Khlong Yai - Cham Yeam crossing? 

Cham Yeam is shown as an evisa entry and thinking of doing a border run to there, used the Chantaburi crossings in the past which are more convenient but not listed as evisa.

Also used Poipet in the past and said never again.

40 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Is that the Khlong Yai - Cham Yeam crossing? 

Cham Yeam is shown as an evisa entry and thinking of doing a border run to there, used the Chantaburi crossings in the past which are more convenient but not listed as evisa.

Also used Poipet in the past and said never again.

Yes, it is Cham Yeam (Koh Kong province) on the Cambodian side, and Hat Lek (Khlong Yai district of Trad province) on the Thai side.

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

Yes, it is Cham Yeam (Koh Kong province) on the Cambodian side, and Hat Lek (Khlong Yai district of Trad province) on the Thai side.

Google maps shows it as Khlong Yai Border Checkpoint, wouldn't be better to call it that, what happened to the pedantic terminology brigade.

6 hours ago, sandyf said:

Google maps shows it as Khlong Yai Border Checkpoint, wouldn't be better to call it that, what happened to the pedantic terminology brigade.

You have a point. Since you asked for being pedantic, let's lose the "h" in "Khlong". Thai Immigration's stamps at this border post read "Klong Yai", so that's as official as it gets. ????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sandyf said:

It will not usually matter whether you ask to go to the Khlong Yai border crossing or to Hat Lek. The only danger is that someone who does not know English very well might direct you to Khlong Yai town (about half an hour from the border). If you ask for Hat Lek, there is no possibility of misunderstanding. On the other hand, if searching for information about the border crossing online, it is advisable to try all the different ways the crossing is sometimes referred to.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sandyf said:

In it's early days it was Had Lek border, and I remember using it a couple of times. The old name tends to stick in one's head. 

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

In it's early days it was Had Lek border, and I remember using it a couple of times. The old name tends to stick in one's head. 

Thanks, and I would agree with the sentiment.

Something people should remember then taking others to task over how things are said.

Hello. I hope you are all doing good.

I read the last 10 pages of this subject and I was thinking that it would be easy to leave the country and come back with visa on arrival (?) but i am kind of confused so i would like to learn what you suggest me to do....

Turkish Passport

First arrival to Thailand: 15th of July 2019 (visa on arrival) - (30 days visa exemption)

First visa extension: 08th of August (Pattaya Immigration) - Got an extension valid till 12th of September

Found a 3 months contract job on August 14th in Chachoengsao, got my Non-B without leaving the country on 10th of September (3 months Nonb valid until 8th of December).

I left my job (They didn't cancel the contract but I have an official paper from the school stating that I left the company because the contract was for 3 months).

I want to stay for another month and travel in Thailand and then off to USA. 

The last time I was in Thailand was 2015 July and only stayed 15 days, came with visa on arrival.

Before I visited Thailand on 2011, 2013 and 2015 (as mentioned above), never overstayed or extended visa or did border-run, or flied to another country and came back with another visa/extension etc. My passport is totally clean and didn't receive any refusals. 

So this is my question for you and I hope you can help me to make a decision cause I need to do it in 2 days?:)

I was planning to take a minivan (or bus) from Pattaya to Cambodia border and come back the same day. Today I went to the Pattaya Immigration and there is an visa agency there. The expat guy working there told me that if I go to Cambodia border, they will only give me 2 weeks of visa (?) when I re-enter Thailand. And he said 'better prepare 2000 baht to pay them'. I was reading the posts and I heard that now even the Non G7 countries can get extra 30 days if they leave the country and come back (is it called border run?). I thanked him and walked away.

Saw another office with visa-run sign outside and talked with the lady. She called someone and talked on the phone and asked if my passport (Turkish) can go to Cambodia border with a bus and then do the border-run and come back to Thailand with 30 days (exemption?visa?). The man told her 'No, he can't.' She was not trying to sell me anything and even told me to fly and save some time and money and advised me to book online for cheap tickets. Or she told me to go to the border one way from Pattaya and from there find a way to fly back to Thailand.... So i am kind of confused now.

Some of the posts you posted suggesting to skip the well-known airports because they are stricter then before. Some of the posts were stating that the border-run 15-days thing is now 30 days. So please help me out and tell me what do you suggest me to do?

I have never done border-run before in Thailand. My passport has 2011, 2013, 2015, 2019 entry stamps of Thai customs at the airport. And there is a nonb visa from September to December 8th 2019.

Question:) What do you suggest me to do? My nonb expires on 8th of December and I want to stay another 30 days in this country.

Your answers are appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

1 hour ago, visaissueboy said:

Hello. I hope you are all doing good.

I read the last 10 pages of this subject and I was thinking that it would be easy to leave the country and come back with visa on arrival (?) but i am kind of confused so i would like to learn what you suggest me to do....

Turkish Passport

First arrival to Thailand: 15th of July 2019 (visa on arrival) - (30 days visa exemption)

First visa extension: 08th of August (Pattaya Immigration) - Got an extension valid till 12th of September

Found a 3 months contract job on August 14th in Chachoengsao, got my Non-B without leaving the country on 10th of September (3 months Nonb valid until 8th of December).

I left my job (They didn't cancel the contract but I have an official paper from the school stating that I left the company because the contract was for 3 months).

I want to stay for another month and travel in Thailand and then off to USA. 

The last time I was in Thailand was 2015 July and only stayed 15 days, came with visa on arrival.

Before I visited Thailand on 2011, 2013 and 2015 (as mentioned above), never overstayed or extended visa or did border-run, or flied to another country and came back with another visa/extension etc. My passport is totally clean and didn't receive any refusals. 

So this is my question for you and I hope you can help me to make a decision cause I need to do it in 2 days?:)

I was planning to take a minivan (or bus) from Pattaya to Cambodia border and come back the same day. Today I went to the Pattaya Immigration and there is an visa agency there. The expat guy working there told me that if I go to Cambodia border, they will only give me 2 weeks of visa (?) when I re-enter Thailand. And he said 'better prepare 2000 baht to pay them'. I was reading the posts and I heard that now even the Non G7 countries can get extra 30 days if they leave the country and come back (is it called border run?). I thanked him and walked away.

Saw another office with visa-run sign outside and talked with the lady. She called someone and talked on the phone and asked if my passport (Turkish) can go to Cambodia border with a bus and then do the border-run and come back to Thailand with 30 days (exemption?visa?). The man told her 'No, he can't.' She was not trying to sell me anything and even told me to fly and save some time and money and advised me to book online for cheap tickets. Or she told me to go to the border one way from Pattaya and from there find a way to fly back to Thailand.... So i am kind of confused now.

Some of the posts you posted suggesting to skip the well-known airports because they are stricter then before. Some of the posts were stating that the border-run 15-days thing is now 30 days. So please help me out and tell me what do you suggest me to do?

I have never done border-run before in Thailand. My passport has 2011, 2013, 2015, 2019 entry stamps of Thai customs at the airport. And there is a nonb visa from September to December 8th 2019.

Question:) What do you suggest me to do? My nonb expires on 8th of December and I want to stay another 30 days in this country.

Your answers are appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Usually, you should be able to get a visa exempt entry at a land crossing. However, I am aware that some nationalities can have problems at certain crossings. The visa run companies may be aware of problems for Turkish nationals at the crossing they use.  Although more costly, your safest bet might be to travel to a land crossing with Malaysia or Laos for your border bounce.

Just now, BritTim said:

Usually, you should be able to get a visa exempt entry at a land crossing. However, I am aware that some nationalities can have problems at certain crossings. The visa run companies may be aware of problems for Turkish nationals at the crossing they use.  Although more costly, your safest bet might be to travel to a land crossing with Malaysia or Laos for your border bounce.

Thanks. What you mean is fly to Malaysia/Laos and take the land crossing back to Thailand?

And what if i follow a plan like that; fly to malaysia/indonesia/laos/cambodia - spend 1-2 days

and then fly to another country near by and then fly back to thailand (bangkok?). would that work too? airplanes are expensive but at least not complicated as land crossings (land crossings probably are not complicated but i have no idea what to do so it looks a little complicated to me now).

thanks for your feedback btw 

Thanks. What you mean is fly to Malaysia/Laos and take the land crossing back to Thailand?

And what if i follow a plan like that; fly to malaysia/indonesia/laos/cambodia - spend 1-2 days

and then fly to another country near by and then fly back to thailand (bangkok?). would that work too? airplanes are expensive but at least not complicated as land crossings (land crossings probably are not complicated but i have no idea what to do so it looks a little complicated to me now).

thanks for your feedback btw 

Some land crossings can be complicated, but most are not too bad. The main issue you can run into is the scams that must sometimes be avoided.

A rather uncomfortable option (but making things really simple) is to use a visa run company going to Savannakhet, Laos. The downside is that you will need an overnight stay in Savannakhet as most are going for visas.

A better option is to fly to Vientiane, return via the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai in Thailand, take a van to Udon Thani airport, and fly back via Bangkok or U-Tapao (nearer to Pattaya).

15 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Some land crossings can be complicated, but most are not too bad. The main issue you can run into is the scams that must sometimes be avoided.

A rather uncomfortable option (but making things really simple) is to use a visa run company going to Savannakhet, Laos. The downside is that you will need an overnight stay in Savannakhet as most are going for visas.

A better option is to fly to Vientiane, return via the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai in Thailand, take a van to Udon Thani airport, and fly back via Bangkok or U-Tapao (nearer to Pattaya).

Thanks Tim. So are you telling me that this is an option? fly to Vientiane, return via the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai in Thailand, take a van to Udon Thani airport, and fly back via Bangkok or U-Tapao (nearer to Pattaya).

is this option better than just flying to another country nearby and then fly to another country nearby and then come back to thailand (with a flight)? Or there is still a risk of me being rejected if i do these flights? I am talking about flying to singapore and stay 1-2 nights and then fly to malaysia and stay 1-2 nights and then fly back to thailand... don't you think it would look like i am doing some travels? Or am i talking non sense here?

thanks for your support.

Thanks Tim. So are you telling me that this is an option? fly to Vientiane, return via the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai in Thailand, take a van to Udon Thani airport, and fly back via Bangkok or U-Tapao (nearer to Pattaya).

is this option better than just flying to another country nearby and then fly to another country nearby and then come back to thailand (with a flight)? Or there is still a risk of me being rejected if i do these flights? I am talking about flying to singapore and stay 1-2 nights and then fly to malaysia and stay 1-2 nights and then fly back to thailand... don't you think it would look like i am doing some travels? Or am i talking non sense here?

thanks for your support.

Flying in for a visa exempt entry will probably be OK. The number of countries you visit outside Thailand is almost certainly irrelevant, but staying out a few days may be prudent when returning by air.

I suggested the land crossing because I am not sure how Immigration views Turkish nationals arriving by air. I wanted to suggest what my instincts tell me is safest.

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

I just checked a border run company's website and there is not mention of those from Turkey having a problem entering Cambodia and entering Thailand visa exempt.

Entering Laos without a visa is not a option for you since you do not qualify to get a visa on arrival. You have to apply at a embassy or consulate for a tourist visa.

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

Flying in for a visa exempt entry will probably be OK. The number of countries you visit outside Thailand is almost certainly irrelevant, but staying out a few days may be prudent when returning by air.

I suggested the land crossing because I am not sure how Immigration views Turkish nationals arriving by air. I wanted to suggest what my instincts tell me is safest.

thanks a lot. i will go to Pattaya tomorrow and talk with some agencies. I am planning to try the Cambodia option. I heard that they ask for 2000 baht on the border (thai side i assume). If they won't give me 30 days thing, i will go to an airport and fly to another country and try another option. 

one question: for cambodia, do you suggest an online visa or pay on the border? Or let the agent do it?
second question: do i have to show them a flight ticket from thailand after my holiday ends here?

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I just checked a border run company's website and there is not mention of those from Turkey having a problem entering Cambodia and entering Thailand visa exempt.

Entering Laos without a visa is not a option for you since you do not qualify to get a visa on arrival. You have to apply at a embassy or consulate for a tourist visa.

Thank you. Laos provides visa on arrival for Turkish citizens for 30 days so it might not be a problem. I will try the Cambodia border run on 8th of December. Wish me good luck ????

59 minutes ago, visaissueboy said:

Thank you. Laos provides visa on arrival for Turkish citizens for 30 days so it might not be a problem.

That must be fairly new. If is on still a list of prohibited countries on a site I normally use for info (https://www.laos-guide-999.com/laos-visa-on-arrival.html).

But it does show Turkey of the e visa fee list now. Their immigration website doesn't have a list on it.

4 hours ago, visaissueboy said:

one question: for cambodia, do you suggest an online visa or pay on the border? Or let the agent do it?

If travelling with a visa run company, they will usually handle the Cambodian visa for you as part of the price. 2,000 baht is too much if you are doing it yourself or using an agent. I can usually get the official price of US$30 if doing it myself and paying in US currency. There will often be an additional fee (about 200-300 baht) for same day return. This is not a scam, but a bribe to circumvent a genuine Cambodian immigration regulation. An e-visa has the advantage of saving space in your passport, but do not consider getting one until you know the border crossing used by the visa run company. The crossing you use will probably not allow e-visas.

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That must be fairly new. If is on still a list of prohibited countries on a site I normally use for info (https://www.laos-guide-999.com/laos-visa-on-arrival.html).

But it does show Turkey of the e visa fee list now. Their immigration website doesn't have a list on it.

thanks. yes these things change rapidly. i will eventually comprehend soon ????
thanks for the feedback

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

If travelling with a visa run company, they will usually handle the Cambodian visa for you as part of the price. 2,000 baht is too much if you are doing it yourself or using an agent. I can usually get the official price of US$30 if doing it myself and paying in US currency. There will often be an additional fee (about 200-300 baht) for same day return. This is not a scam, but a bribe to circumvent a genuine Cambodian immigration regulation. An e-visa has the advantage of saving space in your passport, but do not consider getting one until you know the border crossing used by the visa run company. The crossing you use will probably not allow e-visas.

thanks. i think he was trying to rip me off. but maybe he was trying to tell me 'better make 2000 baht ready cause u never know whats gonna happen there'. border visa is 30 dollars, heard of it. 35 dollars if i want to get it online. i will talk with visa run companies tomorrow to get the best offer.

can you also answer this question please? 

second question: do i have to show them a flight ticket from Thailand after my holiday ends here?

2 hours ago, visaissueboy said:

second question: do i have to show them a flight ticket from Thailand after my holiday ends here?

Technically, you can be asked to show proof of onward travel out of Thailand within 30 days. It is very unlikely Immigration will ask to see this when entering at the land crossing used by the visa run companies.

Hi Everyone. I took a flight to Siem Reap, stayed there 4 nights (Angkor Wat!) and flied back to Bangkok (Suvar. Int'l Airport). No one asked any questions about my visa, no one asked me if I have enough capital or not, no one asked any question about a flight ticket (from thailand to XX country). I just got 28 days visa on arrival. I thought you might wanna know ????

21 minutes ago, visaissueboy said:

Hi Everyone. I took a flight to Siem Reap, stayed there 4 nights (Angkor Wat!) and flied back to Bangkok (Suvar. Int'l Airport). No one asked any questions about my visa, no one asked me if I have enough capital or not, no one asked any question about a flight ticket (from thailand to XX country). I just got 28 days visa on arrival. I thought you might wanna know ????

Thank you for trying to add to our knowledge of Immigration policy at Suvarnabhumi. However,

1. The visa exempt entry you received was for 30 days (29 nights).
  2. Your experience is meaningless without knowing your history of visits to Thailand, especially over the last year or two.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BritTim said:

Your experience is meaningless without knowing your history of visits to Thailand, especially over the last year or two.

It's very limited -- from the previous page:

One visa exempt plus extension, arriving July, 2019

Non-Immigrant B for a contract job thru Dec 8.

Hadn't been to Thailand since a two week stay in 2015.

Glad it worked out for the poster, but his chances of getting back in w/o hassle were pretty good from the start. For longer stayers, it doesn't seem to represent any shift in policy at the Bangkok airports or elsewhere.

17 hours ago, BritTim said:

Thank you for trying to add to our knowledge of Immigration policy at Suvarnabhumi. However,

1. The visa exempt entry you received was for 30 days (29 nights).
  2. Your experience is meaningless without knowing your history of visits to Thailand, especially over the last year or two.

my experience is actually meaningful if you read my first post, i have it written there....

maybe you missed reading...

let me sum up; My first time in Thailand was 2011, and the last one was 2015. Hadn't been to Thailand since a two week stay in 2015. 

2019: Had arrived to Thailand July 15th, got an 30 days extension on August 2019. I found a job on August, didn't leave the country and got the Non-Immigrant B on September 2019 (valid for 3 months). 

December 7th, left the country by air, stayed in Cambodia (SiemReap) for 4 nights, flied back to Suvarn. Airport. Got a visa on arrival for 30 days.

I think I was lucky. He checked the visas on my passport, there was only 1 Thai Visa (NONB) and previous ones were from 2015,2013,2011....  

4 hours ago, Scott3000 said:

It's very limited -- from the previous page:

One visa exempt plus extension, arriving July, 2019

Non-Immigrant B for a contract job thru Dec 8.

Hadn't been to Thailand since a two week stay in 2015.

Glad it worked out for the poster, but his chances of getting back in w/o hassle were pretty good from the start. For longer stayers, it doesn't seem to represent any shift in policy at the Bangkok airports or elsewhere.

Thnx. 

Thank for your ideasi will fly out to Penang want to stay a week and then go back you post not to go to sado if I take a van to hat yai or by train what's the easiest option not to have problem to get a 30 days entry. Have 2 this year border run by bus try to start with the new year go get 2 new 

Hi guys.

After being denied entry on a valid ED visa 2 months ago (apparently my school was blacklisted and they didn't believe I was studying) in Suvarnabhumi, I'm planning to return with a Tourist Visa in January. I'm currently in the Philippines and my plan is to get the Tourist Visa in Manila, then fly to either Laos/Cambodia and enter via land crossing.

However my question is this: I see most people recommending Nong Khai as the easiest crossing, but I have read they have fingerprint scanners and thus will see the entire history, which is not ideal (I have a new passport, the previous one was quite full already and it had the denial stamp, so I made a new one... But if they see the entire history, there may be problems again) (Also note that this is the first time I ever had any sort of trouble with immigration: not even one day of overstay previous to this.)

I also hear that Poi Pet is no good, but as far as I know they dont have fingerprint scanners. So I'm wondering what would be the best course of action for me, meaning what crossing would be the best. Maybe another one (not Nong Khai nor Poi Pet)?

Any feedback appreciated!