Border Run Alternatives

1 hour ago, aldriglikvid said:

I arrived in the kingdom 1/18/2020 and according to this calculator my SETV + Extension would end 4/15/2020

My calculator says April 16th.

1 hour ago, aldriglikvid said:

Is it correct that my Visa Exempt + Extension will reach me to June 14th? 

Yes

As for the Ban Laem crossing, I read on a forum in quite another langauge from someone who wanted to do his regular borderrun with his Thai wife, that since 1/1 or so there has been a new boss/higher one who has set (or enforced previously forgotten) new rules, that includes having to stay at least 24 hrs in MY or even 2 nights. This couple (he was 2 days before expiry) decided not to go over, as unprepared for this and followed the advice also given in Thai to the wife; use Padang Besar and there its stil possible. This indeed proved to be the case-on the last and final day of his stay with same day return back to Thailand.

As for the quoted ferry to Langkawi: if you use the later one you must overnight there, as its the ferry homebase and Langkawi is notably lacking in decent transport-its taxi only in practice.

14 minutes ago, asanee said:

As for the Ban Laem crossing, I read on a forum in quite another langauge from someone who wanted to do his regular borderrun with his Thai wife, that since 1/1 or so there has been a new boss/higher one who has set (or enforced previously forgotten) new rules, that includes having to stay at least 24 hrs in MY or even 2 nights. This couple (he was 2 days before expiry) decided not to go over, as unprepared for this and followed the advice also given in Thai to the wife; use Padang Besar and there its stil possible. This indeed proved to be the case-on the last and final day of his stay with same day return back to Thailand.

As for the quoted ferry to Langkawi: if you use the later one you must overnight there, as its the ferry homebase and Langkawi is notably lacking in decent transport-its taxi only in practice.

Isnt ban laem a border to Cambodia?  Why would one instead go all the way to Malaysian border when both the Northern borders and Burmese border is closer. 

Also Langkawi ferry is ok if you want to spend some time over there, otherwise it's better to use the landborder that is also located in Satun. Did my last one there about a week ago without any issues as usual. The first time i did it there my wife asked the officer in departure if i could just jump in/out and he said that it was OK since i have a non-o, done it for about a year now and it's very smooth and the officers are very nice.

Edited by Okis
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2020 at 1:36 PM, lovesthespicy said:

Is the Cambodian border near Siam Reap ok to reenter from?  I've got a METV was gonna go over there and check some stuff out for a day and come back with GF if it was. 

The word on the street is that they will force you to stay at least an extra night if you use that border. So if you need a quick same-day bounce, don't go there.

• Thanks 1

On 1/28/2020 at 7:00 AM, elviajero said:

No, but the border has a history of being difficult in the past. Local rules can and do change from time to time.

Maybe they asked. These land borders see visa runs all the time.

Semantics. By re-entering you are extending your stay in the country.

The bottom line is that Non O ME visas are not meant to be used for long term stays, and it’s practice will be ended at some point. Reports like this will become more frequent this year.

That is pure speculation. The Non O ME can be used for residence in Thailand but some borders don't want people to come back the same day, especially if they exit on day 90 and have been doing this continuously for years.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 12:51 PM, BritTim said:

A couple of years ago, when through trains ran between Malaysia and Thailand, Padang Besar was an excellent place to enter Thailand (at the station). More recently, immigration clearance at the station has ceased, and you have needed to walk to the nearby road crossing for immigration. Unlike at Poipet, Padang Besar is not exactly lawless, but the woman in charge will look for any possible legal excuse to deny entry. It is an unpleasant experience. In contrast, while Sadao has at times in the past been a horrible, corrupt crossing, reports in the last couple of years have been mostly positive (though there was a single bad report recently).

Vientiane and Myawaddy are, indeed, excellent places to enter Thailand, as are the other crossing points from Laos.

It is important to stay current on the status of land crossings, airports and embassies/consulates. They can become better or worse than previously.

I concur. A few years ago (around 2012-13) Mae Sot wasn't the most pleasant place to do visa runs due to an unpleasant immigration lady but more recently it's become very straight forward. Vientiane/Nong Khai, although busy, is also very easygoing. So is pretty much every Thai/Lao crossing. BTW there's also a new one now - although a little isolated, open since Feb 1, Ban Huak in Phayao.

On 12/3/2019 at 5:47 AM, jacko45k said:

In it's early days it was Had Lek border, and I remember using it a couple of times. The old name tends to stick in one's head. 

I've noticed that all the Thai immigration stamps refer to either the district the border is in, or the province (if there's just one border crossing in that province). For example, Had Lek is referred to as "khlong yai" on stamps because it's in that district. However, there's no "Mae Sot" only "Tak". Whether this will change once the 2nd bridge opens for foreigners (currently it's only open to trucks) or another border crossing opens in the province remains to be seen. Ditto for Phu Doo (referred to as "Uttaradit" though when it first opened it said "Nan" because immigration was operating out of Huay Kon in Nan). On the Lao side it's just "Phou Dou" (French style spelling).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, drbeach said:

That is pure speculation. The Non O ME can be used for residence in Thailand but some borders don't want people to come back the same day, especially if they exit on day 90 and have been doing this continuously for years.

Speculation based on following immigrations every move for the past 15 years.

Once the visa application process is fully online it will be the end, but I suspect it will be sooner as the last few places are stopped from issuing the ME visas.

10 hours ago, drbeach said:

I concur. A few years ago (around 2012-13) Mae Sot wasn't the most pleasant place to do visa runs due to an unpleasant immigration lady but more recently it's become very straight forward.

Unfortunately this has changed again. What was once a nice quiet and simple border crossing is now absolutely heaving with Chinese crossing into Burma there to visit or work at the new Chinese investment zone over the bridge in Burma. It is very big with buildings going up all the time.

My last two crossings here ( December 2019 ) have taken longer than before. The queue of Chinese on the Thai side was about 40 people but at least you are outside. Once over the bridge the little Burmese immigration room is packed like sardines with the queue dribbling out the door. All these Chinese are applying for visas on entry and Burmese immigration are stressed out. To avoid a two hour wait I had to push to the front of the queue and collar an immigration officer to explain I only wanted an entry and exit stamp. Initially he was confused and did not understand. Only by persisting did he consult his busy superior and when the coin dropped , issue the required stamps.

As a footnote, Mae Sot was on the news yesterday as some health and safety big wig in the Thai government expressed concern at the lack of any anti virus measures in place at this border which is still very busy with Chinese coming and going. Best to avoid altogether given the current situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello, guys!

I have a question. Now I have a second ED visa for Thai language which will expire on 13th of March. 

I'm going to border-run on 13th with the agency and they told me that I have to cancel my visa at the immigration first even if it's expire the same date. And I've heard that for russians only Cambodia is ok for border-run.

But my school told me that Cambodia isn't good for that and better go to Laos without agency.

Does anyone know smth about it?

Where better to go for russians? 

Edited by Sashulkaexa
Mistakes

It appears only immigration at some border crossings to Cambodia are requiring that a extension be canceled before leaving the country.

It is for all nationalities.

Ask the school for a letter stating your studies are ending on the day you plan on leaving the country. Then go to immigration to have your extension canceled and they will post date the cancelation to the day on the letter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EMMAS said:

When getting WP and extension of stay cancelled at CW, would they give me a 60 day visa there and then if I have proof of an onward flight?

Unless you have a Thai spouse or child, all you can get is seven days to leave the country after your application for an extension of stay is denied.

[Immigration does not issue tourist visas. They grant extensions of your permission to stay if you qualify under one of the criteria specified in the relevant Police Orders. They can issue Non Immigrant visas under some special circumstances, but they would not apply here.]

1 hour ago, pdtokyo said:

Reading a biker site thread (2015 so a bit dated) and came across mention of Thai-Lao border crossing at Phu Du (also spelled Phu Doo) as convenient for Uttaradit residents.

Beats me if i can get Google maps to find the place, can someone help out with a better search name? Of course any current info would be appreciated too.

The most common names used are "Phoudou checkpoint",  "Phou Dao checkpoint" and "Ban Na Kra Seng Border". The last is the one that is recognised by Google Maps. I have never used the crossing myself, but can remember a few threads about it here on ThaiVisa.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The most common names used are "Phoudou checkpoint",  "Phou Dao checkpoint" and "Ban Na Kra Seng Border". The last is the one that is recognised by Google Maps. I have never used the crossing myself, but can remember a few threads about it here on ThaiVisa.

image.png.6ec8a2c52f2f4ba78bd64559f8459a5b.png

GPS 18.1033313707, 101.159767759

No Visa on Arrival from 1st January 2020.  Phu Du (Uttaradit -T) / Phu Dou (Xayaboury – L) No Lao visa on arrival, but exit from Laos is ok. Closed to motorbikes – entry & departure – in September 2016. Then 1st October 2017 “open” again for exit & entry (only if you enter via a Lao tour company.)
Edited by khwaibah
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

In view of latest restrictions can the following passport holders do visa or border runs?

South Korea, Italy and Hong Kong,

Will this list expand?

As I understand it, they will not be able to do border runs for visa exempt entry, but will be able to do an in/out if they have a multiple entry visa.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 8:51 AM, pdtokyo said:

... spot-on BritTim and khwaibah thank you both.

Yes it was GTRider where i saw it but i'd missed that quote ... which looks a bit gloomy. This visa bounce stuff is new to me but i gather each crossing is likely to have different and ... er ... interesting rules ... like the year-long motorbike ban apparently in force at this particular crossing 2016-17. True?

... and that “open” again for exit & entry (only if you enter via a Lao tour company.)  confuse me ... do you all think that means (1) "only motorbikes allowed in as part of a group" or (2) "only tourists allowed in as part of a group" or (3) something else?

I understand why they may or may not decide to dish out a visa on arrival, but a motorbike ban ... is that a smuggling deterrent?

Sorry to spawn three more questions from one answer but that's the way threads and viruses thrive ...

Any of the bordercrossings from Thailand into the Xayabouri province of Laos have been a nogo for thai plated motorbikes for some years now. If I remember correct there were some riders that did something that upset the head of immigration in that province, ran away from an accident or something like that. 

Actually the only bordercrossings Thailand to Laos thats doable for the moment for thai plated motorbikes are Chiang Khong-Huay Xai or Nong Khai-Vientiane (friendship bridge 1) If youre bike is in the system and you meet a custom officer in a good mood you might be able to enter Laos though a few other bc but thats quite accidental. 
But these things change ever so often so to get the very latest news about this its better to ask on GTRiders forum or Rideasia forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2020 at 3:52 AM, BritTim said:

As I understand it, they will not be able to do border runs for visa exempt entry, but will be able to do an in/out if they have a multiple entry visa.

and coming back in on a new tourist visa - with medical cert????

On 3/12/2020 at 12:26 PM, Mangkhut said:

Any of the bordercrossings from Thailand into the Xayabouri province of Laos have been a nogo for thai plated motorbikes for some years now. If I remember correct there were some riders that did something that upset the head of immigration in that province, ran away from an accident or something like that. 

Actually the only bordercrossings Thailand to Laos thats doable for the moment for thai plated motorbikes are Chiang Khong-Huay Xai or Nong Khai-Vientiane (friendship bridge 1) If youre bike is in the system and you meet a custom officer in a good mood you might be able to enter Laos though a few other bc but thats quite accidental. 
But these things change ever so often so to get the very latest news about this its better to ask on GTRiders forum or Rideasia forum.

I've crossed all these places in a car, but I believe the rule is they won't let bikes cars bridges.....go figure

My plan is:

fly in from US to Ch Mai middle of April & receive 30 days (I'm a US cit)

Before that expires, fly to Udon, then go to Vientiane, Lao for a tourist visa.

I've been out of Thailand (in the States) for a couple of years

Does that sound OK?    AND  how strict are they about a paid ticket out? Thank you.

Edited by cubism001
information

2 hours ago, cubism001 said:

My plan is:

fly in from US to Ch Mai middle of April & receive 30 days (I'm a US cit)

Before that expires, fly to Udon, then go to Vientiane, Lao for a tourist visa.

I've been out of Thailand (in the States) for a couple of years

Does that sound OK?    AND  how strict are they about a paid ticket out? Thank you.

It is too early to say for sure, but I think you would be wise to apply for a tourist visa in the US. By mid April, there may be thousands of Covid-19 deaths in the US with visa exempt entry for Americans into Thailand suspended. Also, you should be prepared for possibly being obliged to self quarantine for 14 days on arrival.

im on multi-o need to do a visa run in a month or so, most land border won't let you return within a day must stay over night, im thinking flying out and in in the same day, like a day trip, question is would that be a problem would they give me trouble, has anybody done this, would like to hear some opinion or advise 

14 hours ago, clorox said:

im on multi-o need to do a visa run in a month or so, most land border won't let you return within a day must stay over night, im thinking flying out and in in the same day, like a day trip, question is would that be a problem would they give me trouble, has anybody done this, would like to hear some opinion or advise 

Phu Nam Ron near Kanchanaburi does not require an overnight stay on the Burmese side. Just as well because it is a shanty town on that side with no hotels anyway. I was there last Monday and the whole turnaround took two hours.

@Denim, how many hour from bangkok to Phu Nam Ron do you know, did you use service van or how did you get there if you don't mind me asking, the last time i went to Pong Nam Ron Cambodia border take me 4hr from Bangkok, just check the map seem like Phu Nam Ron is closer than Pong Nam Ron 

Edited by clorox

14 hours ago, clorox said:

@Denim, how many hour from bangkok to Phu Nam Ron do you know, did you use service van or how did you get there if you don't mind me asking, the last time i went to Pong Nam Ron Cambodia border take me 4hr from Bangkok, just check the map seem like Phu Nam Ron is closer than Pong Nam Ron 

Not more than three hours right to the border from Bangkok.

2 hours to Kanchanaburi then another 50 minutes to the border.

More details here :

From You Tube :

Edited by Denim

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

It is too early to say for sure, but I think you would be wise to apply for a tourist visa in the US. By mid April, there may be thousands of Covid-19 deaths in the US with visa exempt entry for Americans into Thailand suspended. Also, you should be prepared for possibly being obliged to self quarantine for 14 days on arrival.

Thanks for this advice. My biggest worry was giving up my apt., buying a ticket & not being allowed into Thailand. (resulting in homelessness in the US)..so 14 days of self quarantine in Ch Mai would be okay.  I guess I should apply for the tourist visa asap.