US Embassy notarial service

Believe sealed house sale contract and such would be one charge - but normal paperwork would be per page. Below is Embassy wording.

Acknowledgement of Signature

An Acknowledgement of Signature or Acknowledgement of Execution is a notary which verifies that a particular person signed a given document. It is often used for legal agreements, business documents, etc. It is also used when more than two signatures are required on the document but all of the parties who must sign are not present. We can notarize (or acknowledge) only the signatures of those who are present to sign in front of us or appear in front of us and verify that they have signed the document.

Fee: $50 for each document or seal.

Holy Cow. Those are crazy fees. I see a market for a US notary public service in Thailand.

I had tears in my eyes while paying the cashier.

Actually, I knew what it was going to cost so it wasn't a surprise but I imagine it would ruin your day to show up thinking it was $50 for the whole thing and maybe not even having enough cash with you to get it done.

And real estate contracts are ridiculously complicated. There is no reason a simple refi contract should need seven or eight notarized signatures.

Holy Cow. Those are crazy fees. I see a market for a US notary public service in Thailand.

THat'd be a logical conclusion gk10002000 but unfortunately the only notary seal recognized from Thailand by US institutions is the one provided by the Embassy.

In the US proper, I've had banks provide the service for no charge and I've also had it done places for as little as 10 USD a seal.

I can't remember if the Automobile Club had a fee or not. I believe it was gratis.

But I'm no longer in Kansas.

Just to add my experience, which is a little bit different:

I have had a Thai lawyer notarize a document, and have had it accepted in USA.

Accepted and able to withstand a challenge in court by a conflicting party are 2 separate things.

According to this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostille_Convention Thailand became a signatory member on 1 November 2002 to this convention. Therefor it would seem that a notarization of a document by a legally authorized Thai attorny would be accepted.

Edited by khwaibah

The Wikipedia listing is incorrect. Thailand is not a contracting state to the convention. Here's the official list:

http://www.hcch.net/index_en.php?act=conventions.status&cid=41

In any event, even if Thailand were party to the convention, a notarization alone would not be accepted in another country under the convention; it would have to also bear an apostille.

Edited by taxout

THat'd be a logical conclusion gk10002000 but unfortunately the only notary seal recognized from Thailand by US institutions is the one provided by the Embassy.

In the US proper, I've had banks provide the service for no charge and I've also had it done places for as little as 10 USD a seal.

I can't remember if the Automobile Club had a fee or not. I believe it was gratis.

I get things in the USA notarized now and then. My bank does it for free because of my account standing. One guy at work charged $1 and he did it on the side and the $1 he collected from people just helped him pay his yearly fee. I think the local Postal shop notarized for $10 when I submitted some stuff for work. If memory serves I only needed one seal, so I can't be sure if a document needing more than one seal would cost $10 for each seal on the same document or not.

But I don't quite understand what you wrote. Are you saying a valid US notary seal but not from the US Embassy in Thailand would not be accepted in the US? How could a US institution not accept a valid US notary seal? But I can imagine the legal beagles or company policy having some words about that.

Thanks

"only notary seal recognized from Thailand "

There used to be a US lawyer operating in Pattaya who provided a Notary Public seal on documents. Listed as one of his services on the storefront office window he maintained. His authority was granted by the State of Illinois and it was accepted when I used him a couple of times.

I doubt most "US institutions" have a clue and some low-level clerk pushing papers would be content with anything that looked official. In most cases the fact that you were in Thailand would be irrelevant anyway ... although I think technically the seal shouldn't be used outside the state that granted it. He charged a nominal fee.

In any case he moved elsewhere or left the country.

In some cases people have used Thai notarial services which were acceptable too as shown in this old thread.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/86777-usa-notary-public-in-pattaya/

And for some transactions, a signature guarantee can be had from a bank manager. Really depends on who will get the documents and how fussy they are. When I was living in southern Africa I used a Barclay's Bank Manager to guarantee my signature on a couple of occasions.

Edited by Suradit69