what would you do if you were suddenly broke?

VIPinthailand

Ok, clearly this is heading down hill fast.

CLOSED

Someone on here once posed the question that Members should go home and tell their wives or Girlfriends that they are suddenly broke to see what happens and if true love should prevail. My response was:

JLC to TGF: Sorry honey -- I have gone suddenly broke.

TGF: BS JLC -- you've been reading that silly farang website again, haven't you?

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you have plan b, ok, but if plan b not working, what would you do?

Stupid stupid stupid people don't have a plan be....most normal humans can see it coming if they see the money drying up, most normal humans have friends and family back home who can provide an airline ticket home if there been blinded by reality, most people will recover, it's not death.

Unfortunately many who get caught in the poos are the emotionally immature and mentally ill/ handicapped, they can't be told or taught.

If you were going to be stranded, and broke anywhere in the world, Thailand is not a bad place for it to happen.
Jungles are full of fruit growing wild, seas are full of fish, clams can be picked at low tide, and veggies grow like weeds.

If you eat durian, mangosteen, coconuts, small fish, and tiny clams, you will survive.
Just need some protection from rain and bugs.
Not so hard to do if you have some sense.

I tried that in 2012, while living here in Thailand. Lost everything to a couple of business partners (not Thai) and was left with no money and loads of debts too.

Luckily my sister borrowed me some money to live for a couple of months and my Thai-girlfriend (now wife) spent all her savings and took a loan in the bank, to get a new business up and running. Today, we are back on track and enjoying life again. Not everything Thai is dangerous and not all Thai-women are bad.

I do not know how other countries pensions for old folk work, but a UK pensioner should never be broke, he should always manage to get back to the UK before that happens, unless he has serious health problems.

I would imagine most times, that anyone going broke apart from theft, would be people with drink problems.

Myself, I would do anything just to get my plane fare back home, even if I had to break the law doing it, although I must stress that I would never do anything against ordinary people.

I suppose begging would be an option if really desperate.

Good question, if I end up broke I would hope my wife will support me as I have helped her when she was down and out, I have saved her losing 2 blocks of land, 30 rai of farming land and her 5.7 tonne Hino truck by paying off a debt with the factory she delt with.

Another headline for this topic could be about being broke and not having any family, either in Thailand or your'e home country.

It is obvious that the first thing anyone would do is seek help in some way from their family.

Well gee then I'd have to find a young Thai Girlfriend who was more interested in me than my money since I've so often been advised by the TV Hoi Polloi that it is currently the other way around.

I think it would be almost be impossible to find a young Thai girl if you were broke, even if you are handsome like me.

If you were going to be stranded, and broke anywhere in the world, Thailand is not a bad place for it to happen.

Jungles are full of fruit growing wild, seas are full of fish, clams can be picked at low tide, and veggies grow like weeds.

If you eat durian, mangosteen, coconuts, small fish, and tiny clams, you will survive.

Just need some protection from rain and bugs.

Not so hard to do if you have some sense.

Where's Canary Sun?

Well gee then I'd have to find a young Thai Girlfriend who was more interested in me than my money since I've so often been advised by the TV Hoi Polloi that it is currently the other way around.

I think it would be almost be impossible to find a young Thai girl if you were broke, even if you are handsome like me.

Angst -- I will now lie awake most nights dwelling on that one.

I was born and paid taxes in what some jealous people refer to as a nanny state.

I was born with a plan B.

There is a great deal of truth in what nidieunimaitre says.

Those who moan about the 'nanny state' fail to recognise the opportunities and freedoms that 'nanny' gave them, one of which is the certain knowledge that you can always return home to 'nanny' who will take care of you.

If you were broke, wouldn't you have more pressing priorities than how you were going to pay a young Thai woman to pretend to like you?

Unless of course, like so many, your genitals set policy

We all know that Thailand has no safety net for foreigners, we all know that if you crash and burn in Thailand you are on your own.

But we also know that its not uncommon for foreigners to leave their brains at the airport on the way in.

Worse still, for every person offering good advice, there are those eager to invite others into making the same mistakes as they themselves make - and there are far too many on the hunt for the gullible to relieve them of the burden of their life's savings.

Loosing it all to a Thai woman is a common enough story, but I'm of the opinion that the biggest danger to any foreigner's financial health is other foreigners.

A common response in the answers to this thread is "I'd ask my family for help", this may be their new Thai family or their own family back home.

But there's the rub.

How many are unwise in their choice of a Thai family? And how many burned the real bridge back home, dumping family and friends back home to come to Thailand?

How many stating 'I'm never setting foot back in the old country' have anything to go back for, property, friends or family?

Talk to charities working with homeless people in the UK (Soldier's Off The Streets is my own favourite charity), they'll all tell you the same thing, the common precursor for winding up on the streets is a breakdown of family ties.

Your family should be your plan A, B and C. Likewise you should be their Plan A, B and C.

I'll wager every single foreigner who winds up destitute in Thailand has broken ties with their family back home, either before they arrived in Thailand or sometime soon after they arrived.

If you have broken your family ties, hang on to your money because its only your money keeping you off the street.

Regardless of all that, I would advise anyone moving to Thailand to, at the very least, have emergency health insurance and an account with sufficient funds for a ticket home and the deposit + 3 months rent on an apartment back in the old country. If you ever dip into that account, know you are heading for the street.

In a place with no safety net, you need to be able to get up and go back home when and whenever you need to.

That freedom to take a risk and know you can go home to be taken care of is what the 'nanny state' has given you.

Count your blessings.

I was born and paid taxes in what some jealous people refer to as a nanny state.

I was born with a plan B.

There is a great deal of truth in what nidieunimaitre says.

Those who moan about the 'nanny state' fail to recognise the opportunities and freedoms that 'nanny' gave them, one of which is the certain knowledge that you can always return home to 'nanny' who will take care of you.

For sure, we worked and paid for it...........thumbsup.gif

And we should defend it.

Having no money or options in Thailand was the best time of my life. It's what you do in those times defines you.

Maybe you'd be kind enough to share some of those nuggets for the less fortunate members of this forum.

What nuggets? Losing everything is a wake up call. You can rot or take a spoonful of cement and harden up.

If you were broke, wouldn't you have more pressing priorities than how you were going to pay a young Thai woman to pretend to like you?

Unless of course, like so many, your genitals set policy

When you get to my age age, and she is willing to go to extremes to pretend to like me, I wouldn't really care one way or the other if she is pretending or not although you seem to be the only one who seems to have any concern about whether she is in fact pretending.

Unless of course, like so many, your genitals set poli

You obviously do not know anything about me, and I do agree with your last sentence, I was only being lighthearted.

and by the way, the handsome bit is true.

You obviously do not know anything about me, and I do agree with your last sentence, I was only being lighthearted.

He never knows anything about anyone except for what they choose to write on here but that never seems to impede his cogent observations.

Well I wasn't referring to you personally but I can see why you might have thought I did.

Plan B: "Mom, Dad ?...." :-)

That would be about plan F or G for me

Thing is, if one doesnt have a plan B or a slush fund hidden away when its your money, then all i can say is they are bloody idiots and nothing to do with Thai ladies either wink.png

I'm not admitting to a slush fund or having any backup plan whatsoever. whistling.gif

My gf can read English. tongue.png

Archived