what would you do if you were suddenly broke?

VIPinthailand

I 'm asking myself what I would do if one day I was without any money in Thailand , not enough to buy food or rent a room. (even in your home country)

I am not talking about losing your ATM card that can happen to anyone during a week end but I m talking about the guy who has lost all, like these poor guys who have been destitute by their girlfriend... .

this is a very serious question. not trolling!

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The old cliche saying holds true....Don't spend more (invest) in Thailand than you can afford to safely walk away from. The clothes on your back, credit card and passport is all you need to walk or in my case drive away. If you don't abide by this simple rule then Sum num na when it falls apart.

Set up a second bank account, not the one you regularly operate or which is linked to your TGF, sorry I mean ATM card. Sock away enough to get the hell of out of Dodge in 24hrs. Do not ever never ever ever never touch this account before the fat lady sings.

How much do I have? Honestly, I don't know. Because I set it up years ago - I think it was 50K but I forget - and never looked again.

If you have not done so, do this now.

life is short, forget plan B.

if you work too much, you save too much, then married in home country and stuck and cannot come to land of smiles.....lol

learn to live in jungle and eat wild berries...

many, many people are broke in thailand and miserable.....you will be different!!!

Good question, if I end up broke I would hope my wife will support me as I have helped her when she was down and out, I have saved her losing 2 blocks of land, 30 rai of farming land and her 5.7 tonne Hino truck by paying off a debt with the factory she delt with.

Having no money or options in Thailand was the best time of my life. It's what you do in those times defines you.

Is that you Wet Pants Coulson?

Having to teach English at 35 was very humbling. Glad i wet my pants then rather than having to rely on 50k later in life. Good luck with that

Logically, if you have nothing, it all gone, then the only thing you can do is turn to friends or relatives, or charities for help in the short term.

One would hope that if you didnt have the safety net of a "plan-B" then at least you would see the downward spiral and act (bail-out) before it got to desperate measures.

If it happened quickly and suddenly from unforeseen circumstances then you are back to "friends/relatives" etc to at least get you to safety and stability from which to plan the next move.

How old are you when this happens because that probably determines the answer?

Under 45, probably return home and find a job.

45-60 possibly the above and/or, if you have kids maybe they could help.

60+ If you've genuinely lost everything and can't qualify for any of the above, go home and rob a bank on the first day, the government will take care of you, alternatively stay here and take a long walk on a nice beach.

How old are you when this happens because that probably determines the answer?

Under 45, probably return home and find a job.

45-60 possibly the above and/or, if you have kids maybe they could help.

60+ If you've genuinely lost everything and can't qualify for any of the above, go home and rob a bank on the first day, the government will take care of you, alternatively stay here and take a long walk on a nice beach.

Good point....although I think even 45 is a bit old to be starting over back home.

When I was a younger man, all I thought about was being financially secure. I thought about it all the time and worried about it all the time. Consequently, I took steps to ensure that I would be financially secure into my later years. It required years of hard work and sacrifice. So to answer the OP's question, I no longer worry about "suddenly going broke" because it could never happen.

I see younger foreigners in Thailand who don't worry about such things. They tell me they "live for the moment" and just want to enjoy life. They don't worry about their future so much. More power to them....although I could never live like that. Maybe it was my upbringing.

Archived