what would you do if you were suddenly broke?

VIPinthailand

The question here is what would you do if you had no money. Not what is your plan B.

Some people fall so helplessly in love plan B goes out the window and they give their trust to the girlfriend or wife along with every penny they have.

What would I do in such a case. What could you do ? Rely on the goodwill of friends, but then most of your friends would have told you not to give everything you had to the woman in the first place, so they are unlikely to help.

You'd have to hope someone felt pitty on you.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only an Idiot gets suddenly Broke,

I went from being able to cycle 10 miles in under 21 minutes, to not being able to climb a flight of stairs - the decline in my health took less than a month.

I was fortunate to be in a job that provided me with first class health insurance, a guaranteed income over the whole period of my illness and to own my home outright.

Most people faced with such a sudden health problem who do not own their own homes and have access to secure income would very quickly fall into debt, perhaps loose the roof over their head.

Nothing about idiots at all.

Only very fortunate people are able to weather catastrophe in their life.

They do so by maintaining something to hang onto,

• their job/income
  • their home
  • their family
  • their health

Loose one of those and you need the others to survive, loose any two of those and your stuffed.

Only an Idiot gets suddenly Broke,

I went from being able to cycle 10 miles in under 21 minutes, to not being able to climb a flight of stairs - the decline in my health took less than a month.

I was fortunate to be in a job that provided me with first class health insurance, a guaranteed income over the whole period of my illness and to own my home outright.

Most people faced with such a sudden health problem who do not own their own homes and have access to secure income would very quickly fall into debt, perhaps loose the roof over their head.

Nothing about idiots at all.

Only very fortunate people are able to weather catastrophe in their life.

They do so by maintaining something to hang onto,

• their job/income
  • their home
  • their family
  • their health

Loose one of those and you need the others to survive, loose any two of those and your stuffed.

So you were just lucky?

So you were just lucky?

Very much luckier than most.

I've had a good life, I've worked hard and had some great opportunities. Often opportunities handed me by chance or by people who took a chance on me.

I don't hold with the 'self made man' cr@p we hear so often - everyone needs a bit of luck.

You can of course set things up to play against you, which is why we need to plan for failure. Why we need a Plan B.

Don't know what I'd do without good parents. They've bailed me out numerous times when I was down and out. Thankfully, they're rich. If I lost them, I'd be in a world of doodoo.

Then I suggest you prepare yourself for the inevitable.

I am broke. My problem would be if i suddenly got rich!!! I'd do a wee dance!!

I won 13 swiss francs in the Euromillions lottery on Friday. So i am, slowly, climbing the ladder to the 21 million to be had on Tuesday. And when i win that i shall buy a house with a garden and pool and adopt lots of animals. Like a miniature pig.

I also have a rather rich parent, who bails me out occasionally. Not just me, but her other children too. She huffs and puffs but i know that she would never leave me out on the street.

you land at Heathrow Airport, 1 bag of clothes for 3 or 4 days, UK passport in hand, no cash (lost all in a Thai house or Thai business) , totally broke(1£ in your pocket that you found when exiting the plane) , you are 50 or 60 years old so no retirement benefits , what next? where you go? no friend, no family, ...only 1£.

You go down to the benefits office, you are a British citizen they have to help you get back on your feet.

Jeez, if they can give foreign refugees three bedroom houses and money, they can do the same for you.

I'm on benefits here in Switzerland, ok not a lot of money. But enough to get by. And i'm not Swiss.

I have never had a credit card. Ever. It's always been the hole in the wall bank. If there is no money in there, i'm buggered. I am good at sorting out the money i get - pay bills, get bus pass and then budget.

It's all about budgeting, you know how much cash you have and you live with that. And my bank does not let me go overdrawn.

I can eat pasta for a week with just a bit of butter. My only expense, that should be given up are cigarettes. If i gave them up i would be 10 quid richer a day.

But, i don't go out and eat in restaurants or go to bars daily. I live frugally.

I have free wifi where i live, i call my friends and family on Skype. And sometimes i treat myself to a pizza or i buy a bit of salmon for my tea.

Tomorrow i am going to a course on how to live with what you've got. I don't really want to go - especially as it starts at 8.30 in the morning!! But if i don't go, my benefits will be cut off. So i shall potter there. And i will probably enjoy it - meet people in my same situation, and get some good advice.

Having no money or options in Thailand was the best time of my life. It's what you do in those times defines you.

Maybe you'd be kind enough to share some of those nuggets for the less fortunate members of this forum.

Yes, that would make a good topic, I will wait to see if anyone starts a topic about about have you ever been broke in Thailand.

I have had a lot lately on the Pub forum and thought I would give someone else a chance.

only an idiot would give a thai gf any money never mind all their money.

however i know this happens and anyone lacking enough intelligence to give money to thai gfs is likely to be stupid enough not to manage their finances effectively.

as i a) dont need to pay a thai female to be my gf and B) manage my finances effectively i will never be 'suddenly' broke.

steps gently down from pedestal rolleyes.gif

"you land at Heathrow Airport, 1 bag of clothes for 3 or 4 days, UK passport in hand, no cash (lost all in a Thai house or Thai business) , totally broke(1£ in your pocket that you found when exiting the plane) , you are 50 or 60 years old so no retirement benefits , what next? where you go? no friend, no family, ...only 1£."

There is a "Social Care" office located within Heathrow Airport, they would take over immediately and help sort things out. Starting with paperwork chain, hostel accomadation and food.

http://www.heathrow.com/airport-guide/terminal-facilities-and-services/social-care

you land at Heathrow Airport, 1 bag of clothes for 3 or 4 days, UK passport in hand, no cash (lost all in a Thai house or Thai business) , totally broke(1£ in your pocket that you found when exiting the plane) , you are 50 or 60 years old so no retirement benefits , what next? where you go? no friend, no family, ...only 1£.

You're a parasite...I'd send you to Calais. :D

You're a parasite...I'd send you to Calais. biggrin.png

I hear Germany and Sweden are most welcoming these days.

I was born and paid taxes in what some jealous people refer to as a nanny state.

I was born with a plan B.

I was born in the US. Yes, I am jealous as hell! In the US, it seems that the best of plan B's are never quite enough (unless, of course, you are born into the ultra-wealthy class).

This question to me is a very strange one, really strange one!!

a - First of all if you do not have the "age", than it is just to go back from where you come from in falang-land!!

b - Secondly if you have the "age" and you have worked so little in your home-country so you do not have any pension,

than it is just to hopp back from where you come from....

c - Thirdly if you have worked like a normal human being (falang) having your pension, than you are NOT broke,, even if you have lost your precious saving-money, you are not broke, you have your monthly money anyhow...

So this is just a matter of staying on pension-money or go back home to mama again, and stop blaming the usual Isaan-girls for your own naiv stupidity, where you let horny rules over brain!!

Glegolo

Archived