Water Filtration

AmericanSafety

I bought a ro filter system

Superb

I have had it for about 4 years

When I bought it they said NO installation so I said forget it.

Then they decided that they would install it free.

It cleans down to 4 ppm.

Bottled water is about 28ppm.

Its saved me a small fortune.

If you want any details you can pm me.

I agree,my tap water is 135ppm & when filtered it is 8ppm. I have measured bottled water at 25ppm so my measurements are not far off the above quoted.

Mine has 5 filters & cost 8,000 installed with a spare set of filters. We have had it for just over 2 years & still on original filters & same readings as when installed.

I would hate to think about how many litres go through the filter, worth every baht.

What are you folks talking about, ppm? Iron, manganese, calcium, particulates? Every chemical or metal contaminant can be measured in parts per million, and I am not sure to which specific contaminant this conversation is referring. Bacteria, like E. coli, are normally measured in numbers of bacteria per ml.

Filters do not usually state filtering down to some certain number ppm. Normally they are stated in particle size, measured in microns. Bacteria can be rather large and will get caught where very small viruses may slip through.

What, exactly (specifically) are you folks measuring when you refer to ppm?

Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) which is measured in PPM by electric conductivity (pure water is an insulator as unbelievable as it sounds). This is a very good measure of how clean the water is although there is no world standard - in practice the lower the better. Meters are actually quite inexpensive and work well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291410058187?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=590512740930&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

LKD204.JPG

Thanks. I have and iron and manganese colorimeter, but do not have a TDS meter. Need to pick one up. The Thai government lab water test I had done on my raw water showed TDS at 98 ppm. Iron and manganese were my main nemeses, but I got rid of them

RO systems have a motor as they pump in/out through the membrane in the filtration process. Just a very small unit about the size of a Coke can.

Ah. The units I looked at did not have that, even the ones with many different filters, presumably because they did not have RO. I will have another look the next time I go to Tai Watsudu.

thanks for that! Might be better deal than the stuff from HomePro.

Actually seems to be more expensive than the HomePro powder. I used to use Cascade from US and bought in Foodland and it worked well - they then only Finnish became available and did not appear to clean well at all so shifted to the tabs (and last four years dispenser did not work so tabs much better choice). Having to buy a new unit now so may give the HomePro power a try.

I installed this system in Bangkok several months ago when water was starting to taste like the sea. Have been very happy with it and testing with TDS meter shows PPM of tap water in 150-155 range down to 12-14 range. This does not have UV - RO is the key filter system.

http://www.lazada.co.th/colandas-ro-50g-459200.html

colandas-ro-50g-8751-002954-1-product.jp

Lopburi3,

Thanks for the imput. I researched this particular unit a year ago and although there is an American flag on it is manufactured by a Chinese company in China. Made me cringe.

I can't imagine how you could possibly use 5,000 baht worth of bottled water per month. If you are buying the big 20 liter bottles at15 baht a pop, you'd be talking 6,666 liters a month! It must be a typo. If t is not, even taking baths in it would not account for that volume. You must be using it to water the lawn as well.

In any event, I put in a filtration system. Not the one you want; my needs were different, so I won't go into what I did. But I did do A LOT of research and looked high and low. What I determined is that ALL Thai "water experts" are uneducated cretins. If you really get into questioning them, you will find that everything they profess to know comes from 100% rote memory and zero understanding. They know absolutely nothing about water chemistry. So, as with most things here, never trust ANYTHING they say. Do your own homework. It's all on the Internet if you just make the time.

Finally, after examining the equipment available here I concluded it's all a bunch of very expensive junk. I decided that if I wanted trouble free equipment that would give me years and years of problem free service, I would have to bite the bullet, purchase from a reputable Western company and import it. That's what I did and I have not regretted it.

There will be an ample number of people on this forum that will jump up and say I am a fool. My only answer is that after over eight years here, I have grown very disenchanted with what they get away with selling in this country. I like high quality equipment. To each his own.

Thanks PattayaClub-

From my online research, knowledge of water and speaking with our water experts here at the job site I am on, I have been leaning heavily in the direction of importing as well. I am just hoping to find something in Thailand that is truly reputable. I got 2 young daughters who have to drink it and if its crap, I'll never forgive myself.

We use one of these. 2nd of these i have bought. One was in Bangkok, and when I moved down here, another here that I saw in Tesco for 2000 baht (it had the power adapter cable missing which cost 800 baht to replace from the PURE shop). It just screws straight onto your kitchen sink tap with a 2 way valve so that you can have normal tap water for washing etc, and turn the little tap for drinking water. We then use glass jugs for keeping water cool in the fridge. Highly recommend it. Getting a hole house filter seems a bit of a waste because I don't drink water from toilet sinks etc and the water from the water pipe is more of less drinkable (chlorinated). The filter just removes the crud from the pipes, and most of the chemicals as well so you end up with nice clean water.

purekt001-uv-300x300.jpg

http://www.bkwater.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_68&product_id=365

I Ordered a reverse osmosis filter (5 stage) from Lazada C.O.D 2850฿...came a day early than said which was a nice surprise ...Fitted it this morning anyone can fit it with just basic DIY skills and a few tools ....but be warned the instructions came in Thai ....but saying that which man ever reads instructions anyway :-) ..

Now on the second flushing of the system ..then it should to ready to drink ( hopefully ) .

post-108215-0-51439200-1442896868_thumb.

A post of a commercial nature has been removed:

12) You will not spam in any way, shape or form, through mail, PM, forum post, or any other method. Thaivisa.com considers any method of actively, or passively promoting a commercial entity, that you have an interest in, including websites or personal blogs, and is not a sponsor, as spamming. (Including third parties acting on your behalf.) This is to ensure the integrity of reviews, and advice given to/by our members. Spamming is using the forums to advertise or promote a business for commercial gain.

If you want to become an advertiser on ThaiVisa and enjoy the benefits of having a business name and the ability to post then please contact our Marketing department. http://marketing.thaivisa.com/contact-us/

I may get one of those anyway, just to try. It's certainly not much to lose and at worst it should be good enough for cooking water.

As I mentioned, the main thing that puts me off with these domestic systems is that even the big shops that sell them (Home Pro, BigC etc) often dont seem to stock the replacement cartridges. Maybe Thai buyers just dont replace them?

Local stores seem to stock very few replacement parts - try finding vacuum bags and air filters after you buy the units. Most people just re-use forever. sad.png

Our unit provides much better tasting water and the TDS tests confirm.

I bought a dishwasher. Keep in mind, I do not live in Pattaya Farangland. Imagine my angst when I went out and could not even find dishwasher detergent. I finally found it at HomePro -- for a very premium price.

I spend half of my life trying to find things. Like medium sized screw-in hooks. Never have found them here.

We bought a dishwasher also. Used it a lot before we got the full time maid. Now, rarely. DW detergent use to be super expensive here, but Makro has it for a very reasonable price.

It is very frustrating trying to locate stuff here. Sure miss places like Lowe's and HomeDepot!!!

RO systems have a motor as they pump in/out through the membrane in the filtration process. Just a very small unit about the size of a Coke can.

Ah. The units I looked at did not have that, even the ones with many different filters, presumably because they did not have RO. I will have another look the next time I go to Tai Watsudu.

I'm still using the 50B big, clear bottles of water. Back in the US, we had a RO system. Worked fine, but that replacement filter was EXPENSIVE! How much are the replacement filters here? Aren't they suppose to be changed every year? Or so????

We've got 5 adults in our house. And use about 4-5 bottles a week. We use it for cooking also. The local water is just too dirty. I see sand coming out fairly often...or even a dirty brown/black. We've got a whole house filter that keeps the big stuff out, but does nothing for the smaller nasties.

Considering how much water we use, I'm not sure an RO could keep up???? We had problems with that in the US. Just ran out of water sometimes. And we didn't use it for cooking. Only for drinking water, ice tea, etc. For a family of 4-5.

I'm still using the 50B big, clear bottles of water. Back in the US, we had a RO system. Worked fine, but that replacement filter was EXPENSIVE! How much are the replacement filters here? Aren't they suppose to be changed every year? Or so????

We've got 5 adults in our house. And use about 4-5 bottles a week. We use it for cooking also. The local water is just too dirty. I see sand coming out fairly often...or even a dirty brown/black. We've got a whole house filter that keeps the big stuff out, but does nothing for the smaller nasties.

Considering how much water we use, I'm not sure an RO could keep up???? We had problems with that in the US. Just ran out of water sometimes. And we didn't use it for cooking. Only for drinking water, ice tea, etc. For a family of 4-5.

The RO system I bought will filter about 50 gallon per day ..but the pressurised holding tank only holds about 1 1/2 gallon that is were the problem is ...I can only suggest that you decant water into one of the large 20 litre bottles and just keep topping it up as the system fills....

as for the replacement filters for the RO system they can be bought at Lazada for around 900b .. the filter can last anywhere from 6 month to 2 years it all depends on the water source quality and amount run through the filter......A TDS meter can determine when the filters need replacing

you might find this web link useful.

http://www.waterfiltersonline.com/tds-sources.asp

For the last 4 year, we have use a Mazuma water purifier.

I like this product, Plus it have a Thai phone number on it, We call it every 12-13 month.

They send a person to come to our home, To change the filter and test the water.

It cost 500 baht for them to send a person to our home.

Plus the price for the filters.

They tell us every time, we can wait 3-5 month before change filters.

But i like to be on the safe side, So we change them every 12-13 month.

Hey, what happened to the post by Bagwain where he states he offers a whole house system that filters down to point 2 of a micron, with low maintenance and gives safe potable drinkable water to every faucet in the house and has fitted dozens of these systems around Pattaya.

I wanted to ask him more about it, specs, etc and whether he can supply references. It sounds like a good way to go if not too expensive. If you see this, Bagwain can you tell us more about it?

I Ordered a reverse osmosis filter (5 stage) from Lazada C.O.D 2850฿...came a day early than said which was a nice surprise ...Fitted it this morning anyone can fit it with just basic DIY skills and a few tools ....but be warned the instructions came in Thai ....but saying that which man ever reads instructions anyway :-) ..

Now on the second flushing of the system ..then it should to ready to drink ( hopefully ) .

attachicon.gif2015-09-22 08.17.39.jpg

Update :- My system has now been up and running for 2 weeks ....and I am still alive lol .....TDS reading of the RO water is reading daily at about 0.012 ppm (0.00 to 50 is considered good for drinking ) and the membrane at about 99.98% ....so the water is near as pure as you can get it without distilling it .....I am really impressed with the waters taste and purity ..I would recommend this system now .....BUT it was a giant leap of faith to start drinking the water though :-)