Irish jockey loses foot after horrific motorbike accident on Koh Samui

webfact

We wish this guy good luck with his injuries. Also good luck with the Thai hospital accounts receivable people. hope he had travel insurance.

Australian travel insurances do not cover motorcycle accidents in Thailand or elsewhere.

No normal travel insurance covers anything over 50 cc.

Because of this the hospitals instruct the victims to say that they were on the pillion, someone else was driving.

Correct my accident 1 year ago first ting he asked was Where you on bike I said no I only had a bad leg injury he then told me that I was running across road in rain stepped in big pot hole and caused injury to my leg nurses where told same all was good

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We wish this guy good luck with his injuries. Also good luck with the Thai hospital accounts receivable people. hope he had travel insurance.

Australian travel insurances do not cover motorcycle accidents in Thailand or elsewhere.

No normal travel insurance covers anything over 50 cc.

Because of this the hospitals instruct the victims to say that they were on the pillion, someone else was driving.

Correct my accident 1 year ago first ting he asked was Where you on bike I said no I only had a bad leg injury he then told me that I was running across road in rain stepped in big pot hole and caused injury to my leg nurses where told same all was good

Sorry I said yes it was Bike accident (TYPO )

Real shame he picked Thailand and hired scooter, as we know 90+% insurance companies will not pay out on these motor bike accidents, and probably he never had a motto bike licenss. Hope all goes well for him.

We don't know the circumstances of the accident, or who was might have been a fault. But regardless, it's not a pretty thing, and hope he is able to recover as much as possible. As another poster commented, with the advance in prosthetic devices these days, he could easily have an artificial foot and possibly go back to his career.

I don't always agree with Robblok, but what we do have in agreement is safety gear in riding. Prior to my stroke, any trip around town on my CBR was with heavy jeans, combat boots, padded racing jacket, racing gloves, and HJC helmet. And that was just to go to 7/11. lol. For my once a month 4-6 day road trips, shin and thigh protectors went over the jeans, and a full upper body kit was added. My wife took a pic of me one time to show all her friends her "RoboCop" husband. Sitting at a long stop light with all that on could be murder sometimes, but once I was moving I was fine. And I'd rather sit and sweat a bit as opposed to laying in a hospital with potentially broken bones and tons of skin shredded off my body. I was also lucky that I had years of experience on sports bikes long before I ever came to Thailand. But even with that, there were times I barely escaped the ignorant stupidity of Thai drivers.

I barely escaped the ignorant stupidity of Thai drivers. How true, but bad roads are just as dangerous, and there are plenty in Thailand.

Need to know the cause of the accident before any conclusions can be drawn from this. Clearly though, no one else is being blamed - not even bad luck - so the jockey must have screwed up somehow. Pity they didn't frankly explain how it happened - for the edification and future safety of everyone.

Fortunately for this young man he only lost his foot(but probably a career ending injury) and not his life as many others have. I have lost count over the past years how this situation and similar has been played out in Thailand with the common factor being rented motorcycles (plus or minus the appropriate licence). Its a sad and quite unecessary situation set to repeat in perpituity until appropriate action by Thai authorities is taken( probably not likely this century)

Wow I didnt know that. But surely if you have a Australia bike license you would be covered over here?

Wow I didnt know that. But surely if you have a Australia bike license you would be covered over here?

From an Australian friend, who visits me on a regular basis, I know that "any sports activities" and "motorcycling riding" is within his insurance is not covered (unless you have a special insurance, which covers this). You are covered by the Thai compulsory insurance though, in case of an injury up to 50.000 THB. Other forum members mentioned, that hospitals will alter the report, that you rode as a pillion, or "broke your leg" in a different accident, in order to get the coverage from an Australian insurance company. One always has to read the fineprint, to find out, what actually is covered, and what is not covered.If a motorcycle accident is covered, you then must produce an international drivers license.

From an Australian friend, who visits me on a regular basis, I know that "any sports activities" and "motorcycling riding" is within his insurance is not covered (unless you have a special insurance, which covers this). You are covered by the Thai compulsory insurance though, in case of an injury up to 50.000 THB. Other forum members mentioned, that hospitals will alter the report, that you rode as a pillion, or "broke your leg" in a different accident, in order to get the coverage from an Australian insurance company. One always has to read the fineprint, to find out, what actually is covered, and what is not covered.If a motorcycle accident is covered, you then must produce an international drivers license.

Thanks that's a real eye opener. Ive been riding fat dumb and happy knowing I will be okay in an emergency , luckily that hasn't happened but Im going to send an email to my provider and see what they say

Who said "Luck of the Irish"? Tough break for this chap. With prosthetics these days he could be a huge story. With some hard work and physical therapy he could get back in the saddle. Look at the girlfriend killer Blade Runner...

My daughter used to ride track work alongside a jockey with one foot. So there is hope for him. Depends on the indvidual i suppose. I also have a friend in Australia who Breaks, Rides and trains horses. He has only got one leg and one arm, lost the rest in a motorbike accident years ago.

We don't know the circumstances of the accident, or who was might have been a fault. But regardless, it's not a pretty thing, and hope he is able to recover as much as possible. As another poster commented, with the advance in prosthetic devices these days, he could easily have an artificial foot and possibly go back to his career.

I don't always agree with Robblok, but what we do have in agreement is safety gear in riding. Prior to my stroke, any trip around town on my CBR was with heavy jeans, combat boots, padded racing jacket, racing gloves, and HJC helmet. And that was just to go to 7/11. lol. For my once a month 4-6 day road trips, shin and thigh protectors went over the jeans, and a full upper body kit was added. My wife took a pic of me one time to show all her friends her "RoboCop" husband. Sitting at a long stop light with all that on could be murder sometimes, but once I was moving I was fine. And I'd rather sit and sweat a bit as opposed to laying in a hospital with potentially broken bones and tons of skin shredded off my body. I was also lucky that I had years of experience on sports bikes long before I ever came to Thailand. But even with that, there were times I barely escaped the ignorant stupidity of Thai drivers.

Mmmm! clever you !

this is B.S. If you advise the oz travel insurance on the form that you are riding a motorbike then you are covered

What ! without a licence ?

Need to know the cause of the accident before any conclusions can be drawn from this. Clearly though, no one else is being blamed - not even bad luck - so the jockey must have screwed up somehow. Pity they didn't frankly explain how it happened - for the edification and future safety of everyone.

I don't think that even "Roads of Samui" know anything about this accident.

Anybody have any suggestions on how I can start a blog on Samui road deaths? The incompetent and indifferent authorities there refuse to release this info. I heard from a friend who works for Samui Rescue that the number is as high as two per day! I want to call it the Samui Death Chronicle. Something needs to be done to warn people about motorbikes and Samui. Unless you are an expert driver, stay away from bikes on Samui, and always wear an excellent quality helmet. Keep your speeds down and maintain eyes in the back of your head. Beware of cement trucks, jungle jeep tour drivers, taxis, unlicensed speed freak kids on bikes, and too many others. No law enforcement. Samui is a perfect storm for the hospitals and ambulance companies.

might this make world news and be a warning for all

if you don't have a licence in your country, if you don't have experience, why you think you can handle the motosay ?

Where is it said that he had no motorbike license, or no experience riding a motorbike?

Where is it said that it was him who caused the accident?

Try covermore ! they always look for a way out

Anybody have any suggestions on how I can start a blog on Samui road deaths? The incompetent and indifferent authorities there refuse to release this info. I heard from a friend who works for Samui Rescue that the number is as high as two per day! I want to call it the Samui Death Chronicle. Something needs to be done to warn people about motorbikes and Samui. Unless you are an expert driver, stay away from bikes on Samui, and always wear an excellent quality helmet. Keep your speeds down and maintain eyes in the back of your head. Beware of cement trucks, jungle jeep tour drivers, taxis, unlicensed speed freak kids on bikes, and too many others. No law enforcement. Samui is a perfect storm for the hospitals and ambulance companies.

Have you seen "Roads of Samui" on facebook. They do a very good job trying to report exactly what you are talking about.

Travel insurance doesn't cover you if you don't have a motorbike license. Trust me, i learn the hard way sad.png

Did you expect it to be different.. same as insurance will not cover damage to your own car if you don't have a license (Thai friend found out when younger brother loaned his car). Would have even been worse if it was not a one sided accident.

When I drive a car or bike. I always have what my dear old Dad taught me.When driving act like every other vehicle is going to try. and offer you an accident. Drive on the Defense......The Irishman is luck he is still alive.

Have you seen "Roads of Samui" on facebook. They do a very good job trying to report exactly what you are talking about.

Will look for it. Thanks. Something needs to be done, to make unsuspecting tourists aware of the dangers. They are so nonchalant at times. They just do not understand how fabulously dangerous the Ring Road is. It is a deathtrap, for the unsuspecting and unskilled.

I'm so sorry to hear this sad news , I wish him a speedy recovery . Motorcycle are so dangerous " Death On 2 Wheels " !

I can ride very spirited thoroughbred horses , but cannot ride a motorcycle !

It's not the motorcycle in itself which is dangerous,it's either the actions of the rider or the numbskull car drivers whose blatant disregard and idiotic actions towards the biker that is dangerous....I feel very sorry for this young man.Get well soon.

Archived