Govt orders great firewall of Thailand

webfact

Govt orders great firewall of Thailand
Don Sambandaraska

BANGKOK: -- Thailand’s military government has ordered the creation of a great firewall of Thailand to control the flow of information on the Internet.

General Prayuth’s cabinet ordered the ICT and Justice Ministries and the National Police Department to set up a single internet gateway in order to control inappropriate websites and to control the flow of information into the country from overseas via the internet.

A subsequent cabinet resolution ordered the agencies to report back with any laws that would need to be enacted or amended prior to setting up the single gateway.

The order was quietly given by the Cabinet on 30 June and the follow-up order for the agencies to report back with any laws that needed amending was given by the cabinet on 4 September.

The cabinet resolution was just unearthed on social media by someone browsing the official government cabinet resolution repository.

Full story: http://www.telecomasia.net/blog/content/general-happiness-orders-great-firewall-thailand

-- Telecomasia 2015-09-23

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just amazed how some people think they have a moral right to tell others what to think and do.

Restricting right to information is one of the worst abuse of the powers.

Post removed due to the following forum rule:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com
In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

The fanbois are going to have a tough time selling this turd. When will they have an inkling that they have backed the wrong horse?

Still, this will be good....

Why would someone in favor of the junta agree with everything they do. Did you agree with Thaksin letting his guys bomb and kill people ?

This is just crazy and should not be done. However a simple VPN and you can access all the sites you want, or you just use the tor network.

I hope someone in the IT sector has the backbone to tell these people the drawbacks to this line of thought and show them the error of their ways.

IMO, in this case, this great firewall will burn.............................wink.png

The fanbois are going to have a tough time selling this turd. When will they have an inkling that they have backed the wrong horse?

Why would someone in favor of the junta agree with everything they do. Did you agree with Thaksin letting his guys bomb and kill people ?

This is just crazy and should not be done. However a simple VPN and you can access all the sites you want, or you just use the tor network.

Hooray! The first 'But, but Thaksin' post of the thread: A thread which is nothing to do with him or his family. Couldn't leave him out, now could we?

Not actually Sparky. They can block VPNs very easily if they are really serious. Contrary to popular belief, VPNs can be blocked.

Then our company can't function here anymore, so we 'll have to move to Singapore.

What's next? Thai government telling us where we can fly to and where not?

Thai even can't read english so why do they have to ban them? This will set back Thailand into the stone-age and they will loose competition with Malaysia, Indonesia, Myanmar and all other Asian country's.

Up to you Thailand.whistling.gif

Also the USA won't be happy with it.......

Hooray! The first 'But, but Thaksin' post of the thread: A thread which is nothing to do with him or his family. Couldn't leave him out, now could we?

No it was an example of something I thought you would not have supported even though you support the red cause ? I just gave an example but I guess it went way over your head.

Did you agree with everything the previous government did ? I guess you did not.. Same goes for me I don't agree with everything the junta does.

I don't even agree with everything the government did that I voted in back in my home country.

But go on trying to score cheap points, I had expected more of you.

I know little about these things but the article went on to say VPN's and such like will be next thing to be banned.

This can only be good for Thailand. Stop any immoral or negative information on the internet. Get the kids back on the streets to make real immoral and negative events occur! They spend too much time on the net now anyway!

You must be a thai government infiltrator

Oh dear.......!

A single gateway will be a disaster for Thailand....this just when they "announce" they want to enter the digital arena.

Additionally,

This will certainly put a stop to any thoughts of Thailand becoming a "silicon" state.....no-one in their right mind would venture into a country that has such an controlled data system!

Archived