Stallions: Any owners out there what to share their experience?

bottledwater

Hi!

I think Stallions (any model) are really cool looking bikes. But, like many, I'm afraid of non-Japanese brands as far as quality goes. Stallions has had the 150cc models out for a couple years now, and I'd really like to hear from an owner of one as to what they think about the quality. Have you put many kilometers on it? I know Stallions is "made" in Thailand, are the engines made in Thailand as well, or are they made by Lifan or some other big Chinese company? Are parts hard to get?

Any time now Stallions is coming out with a 400cc (there is a thread on that) motorcycle. Its look and price, make Stallions mighty interesting. The 150cc models are about 60k baht, the 400cc will be about double that, I guess.

Thanks in advance

Edited by bottledwater

The thing is if you want as manufacturer get good quality aluminum alloy metal die casting molded engine parts you will look for a company or partner in China. Harley-Davidson, Aprilia, Vespa, Moto Guzzi, Piaggio and many even Ducati order parts from one company called Zongshen.

Zongshen also makes parts for Stallion, but Stallion has not an exclusive contract with Zongshen, for the Stallion Centaur CT400 they did the development with Shineray (a company also known to use Zongshen for engine production, and sometimes linked as a Zongshen side-job-company).

I not see any problem with engine parts being bought from Zongshen, currently everybody riding a modern motorcycle is using some parts from large Chinese companies or some Chinese technology was used to produce the motorcycle...

Edited by Richard-BKK

For the Stallion Centaur 150, it looks great, and you should not think of it as a 150cc motorcycle… I'm not sure if it's intended, but the engine give a very realistic feeling of a early 80's motorcycle, what basically means if you're looking for 150cc performance you should not look at the Stallion Centaur 150… it barely outperforms a Honda Wave 125….

On fuel consumption and road handling… yes it's good a very relaxed motorcycle, with two up the suspension could be a bit better… but again you buy it for that you should look elsewhere…

You can buy a modified Stallion Centaur 150, which fixes all the major problems and looks super cool. It's sold by Zeus Customs, I'm not allowed to post links so search Zeus Customs Thailand…

Also you should balance, why you need a motorcycle and how much you want to pay…. If you not really need one and it's just for fun you maybe more willing to go for custom build, if your daily commute depends on it you maybe want to look at what Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha or even what Keeway and Lifan is offering…

I bought a centaur 150 about a month or so ago. The bike is second hand about 18 months old and had done around 9000kms when I picked it up. Apparently a repo and had sat idle for about 6 months prior to that.

I have not ridden a manually geared bike for about 25 odd years and know nothing about mechanics but wanted something to get me back on two wheels to muck around on for a year or so to gain confidence before upgrading to something bigger (pending approval of course from she who must be obeyed). I will only get the opportunity to ride the bike one day a week due to work so will not be putting big mileage on it.

First impressions are very good. Not a mark on the bike and no surface rust that I can see. Nothing fallen off yet and feels solid enough. I won't be breaking any land speed records on it but for mucking around town on a Sunday so far it is good fun. Certainly looks the part for an old fart like myself.

I have a question...I want to replace the tires. Front 110/70-17 and rear 130/70-17. Can anyone suggest a good brand of readilly available tyre in a style in keeping with a retro styled bike?

better buy a real Stallion:

stallion.jpg

with this, sure you can go faster, better handling and less consumption. it will also give you a very retro and cool look:)

also a real stallion is more reliable i am sure than a Chinese metal one.

anyway, joking aside, i see many Stallions on the roads, some look cool after modifications.

what i know, it has some poor welding, suspensions, brakes and materials and 60 000 baht is too much for such a Chinese bike.

'duro' have that retro tires, check it out: http://29tire.tarad.com/product-en-1084935-6333561-Duro+Classic+tire++15+inches.html

I bought a centaur 150 about a month or so ago. The bike is second hand about 18 months old and had done around 9000kms when I picked it up. Apparently a repo and had sat idle for about 6 months prior to that.

I have not ridden a manually geared bike for about 25 odd years and know nothing about mechanics but wanted something to get me back on two wheels to muck around on for a year or so to gain confidence before upgrading to something bigger (pending approval of course from she who must be obeyed). I will only get the opportunity to ride the bike one day a week due to work so will not be putting big mileage on it.

First impressions are very good. Not a mark on the bike and no surface rust that I can see. Nothing fallen off yet and feels solid enough. I won't be breaking any land speed records on it but for mucking around town on a Sunday so far it is good fun. Certainly looks the part for an old fart like myself.

I have a question...I want to replace the tires. Front 110/70-17 and rear 130/70-17. Can anyone suggest a good brand of readilly available tyre in a style in keeping with a retro styled bike?

Michelin M62

better buy a real Stallion:

stallion.jpg

with this, sure you can go faster, better handling and less consumption. it will also give you a very retro and cool look:)

also a real stallion is more reliable i am sure than a Chinese metal one.

anyway, joking aside, i see many Stallions on the roads, some look cool after modifications.

what i know, it has some poor welding, suspensions, brakes and materials and 60 000 baht is too much for such a Chinese bike.

'duro' have that retro tires, check it out: http://29tire.tarad.com/product-en-1084935-6333561-Duro+Classic+tire++15+inches.html

This link no hab 17"tires.

• 4 months later...

In Korat yesterday I showed them the internet show price ad for 109,900 and they said that was the show price only. They said 120,000 and I offered 115,000 baht and they accepted.

Looks and feels great in the show room. Sounds great on You Tube.

Has built in oil cooler. Nice price for a 400cc bike. Comfortable too.

Met a Thai chap a few days back, briefly, who had one, he said it was great, sounded good as he took off up the road.

I bought a Chinese bike a month ago and aside for a couple of small issues now resolved for no money, the bike is great too, good fun and at 1/3 price of it's rivals I am well chuffed. I came to the final decision when I heard so many bad stories about Jap bikes with really serious problems. Big bucks straight down t'toilet, thought, I can get a whole brand new engine and gearbox for £190, also everyone I know who has one says good things.

I think the tide is changing and with the Jap economy about to go titsup, well think about it. "The moving finger writes and have writ moves on and every dog has it's day."

Bit more than £190, but not a lot. Still, quite a bargain :-

New 200cc Lifan OHV engine, chain drive, boxed, RRP 14,000 baht. c/w starter motor, carb, cdi.

Add 2000 baht for shaft drive version c/w transfer box with fwd/reverse. No, i'm not joking.

As for myself, I'd rather buy a used Honda Steed or Honda Shadow than anything Chinese. Same money. For me it boils down to self respect. The thought of riding a China bike makes me cringe.

Hey, I have a right to post my opinion.

Don't be so defensive Sailor, of course you have right, trouble with people like me who ride a Lifan Cross, I have no class....Have a shit load of fun though and biking without fun, well it ain't biking.

Isn't a Steed pretending to be a Harley, but with it's gonads removed? Self respect eh, mmm?blink.png

Off topic - i hate Steeds and anything similar. The people who ride Steeds and suchlike ideally want a Harley... but cant afford one. Nothing wrong with Harleys, if you want one, save up and buy one, but don't buy a copy, and a poor one at that...

As for myself, I'd rather buy a used Honda Steed or Honda Shadow than anything Chinese. Same money. For me it boils down to self respect. The thought of riding a China bike makes me cringe.

Hey, I have a right to post my opinion.

iphones are made in china.... no one seems to mind having those

personally i dont care what country something is made in... judge the product on its own merits, not where it originated..... the stallion is an incredibly cheap entry level affordable bike that has a cool style and probalby a lot of fun for zipping around town.. accept it for what it is.

steed or a shadow?... completely different style... looks like theyre for old grandpas

Off topic - i hate Steeds and anything similar. The people who ride Steeds and suchlike ideally want a Harley... but cant afford one. Nothing wrong with Harleys, if you want one, save up and buy one, but don't buy a copy, and a poor one at that...

Used harley 1200 "48" 600,000baht easy, used Steed 100,000baht. People who ride Lifans x-cross don't buy them because they're the better bike, nor is the Stallion better than SR400. They buy them because they're cheaper.

For many having the money isn't the problem, it's paying double what it costs in the states.

Used harley 1200 "48" 600,000baht easy, used Steed 100,000baht. People who ride Lifans x-cross don't buy them because they're the better bike, nor is the Stallion better than SR400. They buy them because they're cheaper.

For many having the money isn't the problem, it's paying double what it costs in the states.

That doesn't make sense, or do you think we are masochists, we deliberately don't buy a Steed because they are good bikes?

Have you ever ridden a Steed, have you ever ridden one off road? If so I would like to see you ride 10 metres just on simple loose dirt and stay on. On my Lifan I dance across the local roadworks almost every day on a different assault course and it's a real gas.

A Steed is 29hp and weighs a 5 1/2 tonnes (my NV400 is 43hp), as much as I dislike Harleys, I would suggest their power to weight ratios and performance are all a shit lot better. In fact, and back on topic, I would suggest the subject matter would see off your grandfather Steed, it is a whole lot of nothing.

Judging by the faces of the guys who ride them and their mates and me, these little bikes are a whole lot of fun, a Steed isn't... unless you just love cleaning chrome.

That doesn't make sense, or do you think we are masochists, we deliberately don't buy a Steed because they are good bikes?

Have you ever ridden a Steed, have you ever ridden one off road? If so I would like to see you ride 10 metres just on simple loose dirt and stay on. On my Lifan I dance across the local roadworks almost every day on a different assault course and it's a real gas.

A Steed is 29hp and weighs a 5 1/2 tonnes (my NV400 is 43hp), as much as I dislike Harleys, I would suggest their power to weight ratios and performance are all a shit lot better. In fact, and back on topic, I would suggest the subject matter would see off your grandfather Steed, it is a whole lot of nothing.

Judging by the faces of the guys who ride them and their mates and me, these little bikes are a whole lot of fun, a Steed isn't... unless you just love cleaning chrome.

Whoa Hoss, I'm a couple of years from buying a large bike. Problem with bikes similiar to NV400 is they're a bit top heavy. I've owned a virago and a vulcan and they were top heavy. As for having fun, my Raider is a blast. Giddee up.

Whoa Hoss, I'm a couple of years from buying a large bike. Problem with bikes similiar to NV400 is they're a bit top heavy. I've owned a virago and a vulcan and they were top heavy. As for having fun, my Raider is a blast. Giddee up.

Top heavy compared to what? They are Harley knock-off low riders.

They are relatively heavy compared to similar capacity bikes, but the C of G is lower and the rider who can be 1/3rd of weight of the bike has his arse on the floor.

There aiin't a lot of leaning going on either, you don't see many HA's with their knees down, maybe they have the titanium on their backsides instead............but we are a little off topic now.

Edited by AllanB

You mean Suzuki Raider? Top little bikes to wizz around on they are.

• 1 month later...

i bought a second hand keeway superlight 200 nearly 1 year ago. i'm certainly not going racing/cruising on it. i bought it to get around my local area instead of taking the car out into the horrendous rama 2 rd traffic. after a bit of tinkering and making/changing sprockets (cost peanuts), it now purrs down the road instead of roaring its poor little head off. I'm as happy DELETED with it. the only thing thats let me down so far is a dead battery (3 years old, thats normal). I'm looking at upgrading to the stallions ct400. i think i'll be happy again and i'll have 120,000 baht in my pocket after purchase compared to the SR400. makes sense to me.

Edited by seedy
language

I share this hate.

• 1 year later...

I saw a Stallion CT400 in Big C in Chiangmai yesterday for THB 89000. I am impressed but sales rep was dumb. He could not tell me if or where there was a showroom/dealer in Chiangmai Nor could he gve me any infomation beyond " 400cc, 5 speed". Of course there are no brochures

I would like a lot more information before I proceed. Where is the nearest dealer to Chiangmai?

19 hours ago, Maybole said:

I saw a Stallion CT400 in Big C in Chiangmai yesterday for THB 89000. I am impressed but sales rep was dumb. He could not tell me if or where there was a showroom/dealer in Chiangmai Nor could he gve me any infomation beyond " 400cc, 5 speed". Of course there are no brochures

I would like a lot more information before I proceed. Where is the nearest dealer to Chiangmai?

I think that price is for the 250 cc model. The 400cc models are going for around 115,000 baht. The 400cc model just got BIG BIKE of the year award......not sure what that means but I am very happy with my Stallion 400.

CT 400.jpg

pricing.jpg

Big Bike award.jpg

I had a Stallions CT400 for 8 months.

I had a lot of issues with the bike and had to pay a visit to the factory in Samut Prakarn 3 times, 4 times to the dealer in Bang Kapi, and they were not really able to fix it. The quality of materials is also not good and will rust easily.

For the price it's not a bad deal. Still, I'd recommend buying something of higher quality such as the SR400, unless it's the first time you try a "bigger" bike and mainly as a transition bike into something larger and of quality.

Stallions is not a quality bike, but I'm sure everything realizes that given the price.

4 hours ago, bkksteve123 said:

I had a Stallions CT400 for 8 months.

I had a lot of issues with the bike and had to pay a visit to the factory in Samut Prakarn 3 times, 4 times to the dealer in Bang Kapi, and they were not really able to fix it. The quality of materials is also not good and will rust easily.

For the price it's not a bad deal. Still, I'd recommend buying something of higher quality such as the SR400, unless it's the first time you try a "bigger" bike and mainly as a transition bike into something larger and of quality.

Stallions is not a quality bike, but I'm sure everything realizes that given the price.

Must have been a lemon. I had my Scrambler 400 for 6 months and the only problem was a faulty ECU which was replaced under warranty. I ride with a guy who has over 20,000km on his CT400 and has only had the same problem with the ECU. The replacement ECUs were new models now on all the 400s.