PM pleads with his opponents in the US to think about the country’s image

Lite Beer

Typical propaganda tactic: accuse the enemy of your own crime. The big tarnishing was the illegal seizure of power and the destruction of democracy by Chan-ocha himself.

Democracy? In Thailand? LOL good one. Can you give some examples of the workings of "democracy"; other than a "right to vote"?

The right to vote is where it all starts.

Take that away and you destroy democracy.

It doesn't matter whether you approve or disapprove of the elected government. It should be replaced or retained by the democratic process - the right to vote is the crux of the matter.

The right to vote in a free and fair election is where it starts. There has never been such an election in Thailand yet.

But democracy is more about governing for the good of the country and all it's people. It's what you do with the power that counts!

"The right to vote in a free and fair election is where it starts. There has never been such an election in Thailand yet."

The international community disagree with you but hey, what do they know!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is he not telling those who will rally to give him support the following day, to not do so?

Simple: they traveled to the US with him from Bangkok.

Trump found/paid for cheerleaders its easy. I am sure the PM could find his own glee club who wanted a free trip to the Big Apple. When they are not throwing praises at him they could double as autograph hounds.

Do

Typical propaganda tactic: accuse the enemy of your own crime. The big tarnishing was the illegal seizure of power and the destruction of democracy by Chan-ocha himself.

Democracy? In Thailand? LOL good one. Can you give some examples of the workings of "democracy"; other than a "right to vote"?

It doesn't matter whether you approve or disapprove of the elected government. It should be replaced or retained by the democratic process - the right to vote is the crux of the matter.

The right to vote in a free and fair election is where it starts. There has never been such an election in Thailand yet.

But democracy is more about governing for the good of the country and all it's people. It's what you do with the power that counts!

"The right to vote in a free and fair election is where it starts. There has never been such an election in Thailand yet."

Elections mean nothing if you elect only a parliament that has no power, and then let unelected technocrats rule (like in the EU)

Do

Elections mean nothing if you elect only a parliament that has no power, and then let unelected technocrats rule (like in the EU)

Huh?

Yeah right!

And which election was that?

The 2011 general election was accepted as free and fair both internationally and domestically.

I don't think the fact that you, as a foreigner, dislike the result, counts as international condemnation!

The 2014 general election was never completed, because a mob, led by Suthep, was allowed (with the connivance of the people who subsequently seized power) to prevent voting on a large scale.

Edited by JAG

Yeah right!

Well, try INTERNATIONAL VOTING OBSERVERS of the past two general elections in Thailand who stated quite clearly that the elections were "free, fair and honest". And these observers are "International", not Thai, and have no hidden agenda, and can't be bought off with 500 baht.

In democratic countries it is not unusual for 60 % to disagree with the final result,but in countries such as China, North Korea and Thailand where you have only one person voting for the leader up to 95% can disagree with that.With Thailand, the leader has made it clear he will never ask the people who should lead Thailand., in a democracy, the leader must poll the people at pre defined dates. A democratic leader's terms are always finite but can be renewed by the highest court, ie the people.

Just a matter of personal preference I guess.

In democratic countries it is not unusual for 60 % to disagree with the final result,but in countries such as China, North Korea and Thailand where you have only one person voting for the leader up to 95% can disagree with that.With Thailand, the leader has made it clear he will never ask the people who should lead Thailand., in a democracy, the leader must poll the people at pre defined dates. A democratic leader's terms are always finite but can be renewed by the highest court, ie the people.

But that personal preference is being imposed on a very large number of people who may well prefer to make the choice themselves.

The 2011 general election was accepted as free and fair both internationally and domestically.

I don't think the fact that you, as a foreigner, dislike the result, counts as international condemnation!

The 2014 general election was never completed, because a mob, led by Suthep, was allowed (with the connivance of the people who subsequently seized power) to prevent voting on a large scale.

I don't give a stuff about the result! And I don't understand why foreigners like you get so emotional about the subject, and fall back on accusations without basis to defend or justify your clear bias.

We can agree that 2014 wasn't free and fair.

I assume these international and domestic people that believe the 2011 election was fair are ok with parties handing out cash for votes and that parties cannot freely canvass vast areas of the electorate. That propaganda is preferred over debate so people can hear both sides of the story. Or that a party is allowed to stand on a mandate of populist policies known from the outset to be flawed and to cost the country billions. I could go on.

The best that could be said that it was an improvement to past elections.

Edited by elviajero

But that personal preference is being imposed on a very large number of people who may well prefer to make the choice themselves.

I don't give a stuff about the result! And I don't understand why foreigners like you get so emotional about the subject, and fall back on accusations without basis to defend or justify your clear bias.

I assume these international and domestic people that believe the 2011 election was fair are ok with parties handing out cash for votes and that parties cannot freely canvass vast areas of the electorate. That propaganda is preferred over debate so people can hear both sides of the story. Or that a party is allowed to stand on a mandate of populist policies known from the outset to be flawed and to cost the country billions. I could go on.

You"I don't give a stuff about the result! And I don't understand why foreigners like you get so emotional about the subject, and fall back on accusations without basis to defend or justify your clear bias."

Then you go on to say: "I assume these international and domestic people that believe the 2011 election was fair are ok with parties handing out cash for votes and that parties cannot freely canvass vast areas of the electorate. That propaganda is preferred over debate so people can hear both sides of the story. Or that a party is allowed to stand on a mandate of populist policies known from the outset to be flawed and to cost the country billions.."

For someone who doesn't give a stuff you are quick to come out with accusations which have either been debunked (in the case of vote-buying) or are without any real basis - parties cannot canvass vast areas of the electorate.

It does rather sound to me as if you do "Give a stuff" and are making accusations to "defend or justify some bias"..

I won't go on.

Edited by JAG

You"I don't give a stuff about the result! And I don't understand why foreigners like you get so emotional about the subject, and fall back on accusations without basis to defend or justify your clear bias."

Then you go on to say: "I assume these international and domestic people that believe the 2011 election was fair are ok with parties handing out cash for votes and that parties cannot freely canvass vast areas of the electorate. That propaganda is preferred over debate so people can hear both sides of the story. Or that a party is allowed to stand on a mandate of populist policies known from the outset to be flawed and to cost the country billions.."

For someone who doesn't give a stuff you are quick to come out with accusations which have either been debunked (in the case of vote-buying) or are without any real basis - parties cannot canvass vast areas of the electorate.

It does rather sound to me as if you do "Give a stuff" and are making accusations to "defend or justify some bias"..

I won't go on.

I don't give a stuff about the result just how it's achieved and what those with power do with it. Is that clear enough for you.

And the claims I make apply to all the major players.

Any of us that live with Thais in Thai communities witnessed vote buying first hand, and if you read reports like the ANFREL election report you will get an unbiased view on what actually happened. (The Asian Network for Free Elections).

Yeah right!

Well, try INTERNATIONAL VOTING OBSERVERS of the past two general elections in Thailand who stated quite clearly that the elections were "free, fair and honest". And these observers are "International", not Thai, and have no hidden agenda, and can't be bought off with 500 baht.

Staggering! I'm sure you can back up that with links to the relevant observers making these claims.

"Any of us that live with Thais in Thai communities witnessed vote buying first hand.." - elvajero.

Well I didn't, and as your not giving a stuff about the results, that is clearly because the result was not to your liking.

"Any of us that live with Thais in Thai communities witnessed vote buying first hand.." - elvajero.

Well I didn't, and as your not giving a stuff about the results, that is clearly because the result was not to your liking.

Typo. Should have been Many.

"Clearly". How do you figure that baboon?

Allow elections to be prevented by mob. - check

Take power in a military coup - check.

Abrogate constitution - check

Select and appoint "legislative assembly" - check

Appoint self as Prime Minister - check.

Renove press freedom, freedom of assembly - check.

Introduce "attitude adjustment" aka detention without trial of opponents and critics and threatening them with financial sanctions and long term detention - check

Rule through article 44 - absolute power - check

Persistently find excises to put back possible date of next election - check

Off to New York to mince around as the great leader of the Nation.

And he is worried about people tarnishing the image of the Nation?

Sad to say the coup was probably needed due to the actions of the previous government but that justification only lasts if you make some attempt to improve things. At the moment it looks more like it's worse than before and will end up being a wasted opportunity.

If he wants to achieve democracy in a sustainable way he needs to reach out to moderates on all sides to counter the extremists that are present in varying degrees within the opposing parties. There's not much evidence that I can see that he's doing anything like that.

This poor sap; I almost feel sorry for him. He is so far over his head.

He's such an embarrassment for Thailand.

Maybe he should think about "the country's image" and step down.

Step down? And what then? Let the corrupt/immoral/unethical Shin mafia back in to pillage and plunder the remaining funds and people of Thailand?

Are you for real? Did you actually live in Thailand when Thaksin was running the country?

Because unless you have dementia, you would remember that government debt was reduced during his time in office. He lowered the debt of the country then. And that's pretty amazing considering he introduced 30 baht universal healthcare scheme and build the new airport and developed many of the "mega project" tranportation projects.

Not only that but the economy was performing much better then than it is now.

Edited by Time Traveller

"He said he believed Thai people in the US love Thailand as he does and would not do anything which may ruin the image of the country."

If the Thai government did not ban so many websites and blogs from the Thais in the US, especially places like Thaitown in SF, he might have more useful insight into how much many Thais actually hate the regime and the land they migrated from.

But better to pretend every Thai loves everything about Thailand, because that is what they teach in Thai schools.

The general is not bright enough to work out that the nation's image is already in the toilet internationally and he is the primary reason for that.

It was tarnished years before that.

The U.K. Tabloids were running stories about 5 pound hookers in the mid 90's.

The scandal about AIDS late eighties.

The shootings in 1994 again in 2010.

I have lived here through 5 coups...what's so special about this one..same same..

The murders on Koh Toa..

The Duncan girl..

The Saudi Scam..

Etc..

This poor sap; I almost feel sorry for him. He is so far over his head.

He's such an embarrassment for Thailand.

Maybe he should think about "the country's image" and step down.

Step down? And what then? Let the corrupt/immoral/unethical Shin mafia back in to pillage and plunder the remaining funds and people of Thailand?

Are you for real? Did you actually live in Thailand when Thaksin was running the country?

Because unless you have dementia, you would remember that government debt was reduced during his time in office. He lowered the debt of the country then. And that's pretty amazing considering he introduced 30 baht universal healthcare scheme and build the new airport and developed many of the "mega project" tranportation projects.

Not only that but the economy was performing much better then than it is now.

He got lucky the country was coming out of recession in 2002.

He got "lucky" on the decision about his declaration of assets..how he wasn't disqualified is still in question.

I have Thai business acquaintances..there opinion of that time is corruption became endemic..

The new airport he wanted to cancel initially..and retender.

What mega transport schemes.. The bts and mrt were authorised after the Asian crisis to stimulate the economy..

He did some good no doubt. He helped those who had been ignored, he gave the Thais back their hope after 6 years of depression and some over the top criticism by the IMF , but overall right man right place who became despotic..

How can anyone justify the rice scheme or the unethical way he manipulated the law to benefit his company..which he then sold..

Back at least he recognised the more disenfranchised.