Motorcycle helmets and bicycle helmets in Thailand

Asiantravel

With the significant increase in popularity of bicycling in Thailand I was wondering if anyone has any interesting theories as to why the majority of cyclists seem much more disciplined regarding wearing a helmet ( almost to the extent that it is trendy to do so) and yet on the other hand it seems almost opposite regarding young motorcyclists who don’t wear a helmet and I can’t help believing many of them regard it as equally trendy not to do so?blink.png

What is it that separates the thinking regarding these two groups of people regarding their attitude to health and safety?

Cycling is trendy. Bicycle helmets do not cover the face. So cyclists can pose in full view.

So after dark/5pm when youngsters of both sexes are out "cruising" on scooters they don't wear helmets because if they did no one could see them.

More worrying is why cyclists pedal around on busy roads after dark. That is asking for trouble?

Edited by VocalNeal

Just a guess, but maybe the Thais, like a lot of people take up cycling after watching something like Tour De France.

As helmets are compulsory in most competitive disciplines, they just see this as the normal attire for cycling.

This is not the case for everyday scooter riding, as they learn this from their parents !

Cycling is trendy. Bicycle helmets do not cover the face. So cyclists can pose in full view.

So after dark/5pm when youngsters of both sexes are out "cruising" on scooters they don't wear helmets because if they did no one could see them.

More worrying is why cyclists pedal around on busy roads after dark. That is asking for trouble?

what I think is asking for trouble is the foreigners you see riding about on motorbikes wearing a bicycle helmet thinking it will provide adequate protection for themfacepalm.gif

Cycling = Fashion - All the gear... look the part.

Motorcycle = Necessity - no thought process, just copy whats been done before.

mmmmmm....so you're attributing it all to appearance and not to the fact that cyclists have given any conscious thought to safety factors?

A sweeping generalisation would of course be inaccurate.. however, when providing a general answer - I'd suggest that many of the cyclists in Thailand are wearing helmets not for the safety, but for the 'cool' factor... appearance.

The reason I am 'guessing' this... involves a number of reasons... For example:

- The amount of people I see driving cars without seat-belts.

- The amount of children I see without a car seat, in the front seat on a lap, standing up in the window etc...

- I see bikes etc on the backs of cars, the drivers inside without seatbelt.

- My Brother in law is an avid triathlete, he has all the gear and a helmet - yet he rarely wears his seatbelt in a car.

When I see all of this its clear that when generalising safety is not a primary concern - I don't see the cyclists being an completely different section of general society where safety is concerned.

Additionally, I know of a couple of 'cool' bicycle 'gangs' (a group of folk who get together to ride their bicycles around town) - some of their bikes look the business, they look like classic time-trial bikes without breaks !!!!... but they look cool !!

So, in answer to your question: am I attributing it 'all' to appearance and not the fact that cyclists have given any conscious thought to safety factors.... No... But I am attributing 'some' of it, perhaps even a 'lot' of the reason that the majority of cyclists wear a helmet is due to appearance rather than safety....

+1. If you pay attention to the folks riding their beater bicycles for basic transportation as opposed to the guys and gals riding decked out show bikes for recreation, I think you'd find that helmet use is even lower on the bicycles than it is on typical scooters.

But sadly, they blend in to the cityscape and it's easy to miss the guys riding for basic transportation. On the other hand, you just can't miss a string of guys all decked out in flaming orange spandex with a blinking LEDs protruding from their helmets...

But I jest. In fact, I am impressed to see the bicycle market in Thailand growing in leaps and bounds. I was amazed and pleased at the number of $$$$ bicycles at Bike for Mom a few weeks back.

Edited by impulse

My view, as a life long cyclist, and member of a cycling team in Thailand.

Firstly, I have noticed what the OP remarks on and given it some thought.

I believe the reason why cyclists in Thailand wear helmets more than do motorcyclist is not to be trendy or fashionable, rather its a statement of being a member of a group.

If you like its a uniform.

I was about to say something about how Thais like to dress up, but then recall that in my youth as an amateur cyclist I had to wear a helmet in road races, but not in time trials. There was at the time something a distinction between racers and testers, so as I moved from testing to road racing, I started, like many other 'road racers' to wear my helmet in time trials.

This was a bit of an odd behaviour, but certainly there were many road racers like myself who would be the only riders wearing helmets in time trials.

The my behaviour flipped again when I got my professional licence - Professionals were not required to wear helmets in 'professional' road races.

So not wearing a helmet was a mark of being a pro, so I ditched the helmet again.

I do of course wear a helmet when out training or racing - but I don't wear a helmet when commuting to work on my Brompton. (Clarification, I am not in Thailand at the moment, commuting on a bike is common place where I am - I would not commute to work on a bike in Thailand).

For sure those imported bicycle helmets are safer than the average Thai motorcycle helmet which I think are designed to just keep the brain matter from going everywhere. That being said my last Arai was close to a thousand dollars.

My view, as a life long cyclist, and member of a cycling team in Thailand.

Firstly, I have noticed what the OP remarks on and given it some thought.

I believe the reason why cyclists in Thailand wear helmets more than do motorcyclist is not to be trendy or fashionable, rather its a statement of being a member of a group.

If you like its a uniform.

I was about to say something about how Thais like to dress up, but then recall that in my youth as an amateur cyclist I had to wear a helmet in road races, but not in time trials. There was at the time something a distinction between racers and testers, so as I moved from testing to road racing, I started, like many other 'road racers' to wear my helmet in time trials.

This was a bit of an odd behaviour, but certainly there were many road racers like myself who would be the only riders wearing helmets in time trials.

The my behaviour flipped again when I got my professional licence - Professionals were not required to wear helmets in 'professional' road races.

So not wearing a helmet was a mark of being a pro, so I ditched the helmet again.

I do of course wear a helmet when out training or racing - but I don't wear a helmet when commuting to work on my Brompton. (Clarification, I am not in Thailand at the moment, commuting on a bike is common place where I am - I would not commute to work on a bike in Thailand).

interesting but some of the replies here have shattered my illusions somewhat. There I was thinking all these new cyclists that are appearing in Thailand had actually chosen to give some thought to safety issuessad.png

And how do you account for the psyche that seems to to be attached to buying the continually increasing size an increasingly brightest flashing rear red lights they attach on the back of their bikes?

In the UK Aldi - German retailer - was selling bicycle helmets with LEDs in the back for a quid - 55 baht. I shudder to think what they therefore must cost to make.

I'll bet a lot of Thais are actually more skillful on a scooter than they are on a bicycle.

Edited by Craig krup

mmmmmm....so you're attributing it all to appearance and not to the fact that cyclists have given any conscious thought to safety factors?

IMO, yes. Just see the number of people who pull out from a side road without any care about merging/oncoming traffic

1, Wrong, people buying and riding bikes tend to be a bit more conscious of health and safety

2, Open face helmets are what? OPEN face.

3, Yes

Open face is yes open face but still not good enough for the rider to be scene while cruising or a motorized version of paseo. Also the police in most towns go off duty at 5pm, so... After that the amount of helmet wearing drops. This can be observed in any Thai town.

In this country middle class cyclists wear all the gear to separate themselves from normal people who just ride bikes. Not primarily ,safety simply affectation.