Advice on Buying a Kindle.

NoshowJones

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have has a Kindle DX - the larger Format model - for nearly 5 years and love it, however I am dreading the day it eventually goes toes up because they no longer make the large Format version (apparently not enough demand) but I am a voracious - and quick - reader and I would read a page on the 6" model in a few seconds so I'd be constantly "turning" a page which would be a little irritating.

Patrick

Everything I need to do I do with my 5.5 inch phone. Don't have to buy books from Amazon, the web is full of books.

I am very happy that I never have to carry a second device, and my books are always with me.

Glad for you that you are happy with what you have. However, I have a feeling that many of the people who claim to be happy with their tablet or phablet (big phone, Samsung Galaxy Note etc) have never actually used a kindle for 1/2 an hour. But each to his own.

Edited by The Deerhunter

Everything I need to do I do with my 5.5 inch phone. Don't have to buy books from Amazon, the web is full of books.

I am very happy that I never have to carry a second device, and my books are always with me.

Glad for you that you are happy with what you have. However, I have a feeling that many of the people who claim to be happy with their tablet or phablet (big phone, Samsung Galaxy Note etc) have never actually used a kindle for 1/2 an hour. But each to his own.

I get that the reading is a more pleasant experience on a Kindle. But the convenience of having just the one device always with me, and not having to go through Amazon for books, trumps the pleasant experience for me. Not to mention having a fully functional smartphone in the same unit for internet lookups and note taking to enhance the experience

I get that the reading is a more pleasant experience on a Kindle. But the convenience of having just the one device always with me, and not having to go through Amazon for books, trumps the pleasant experience for me. Not to mention having a fully functional smartphone in the same unit for internet lookups and note taking to enhance the experience

It all depends on whether you are a serious reader or not. I can read for hours (actually weeks) on my Nook without my eyes getting tired or having to recharge batteries.

It all depends on whether you are a serious reader or not. I can read for hours (actually weeks) on my Nook without my eyes getting tired or having to recharge batteries.

Like you when reading, I will read for hours, and a kindle or similar has far better battery life and of course the paper white is so much better as the screen of a phone or tablet. To each his or her own I understand that some people don't want to carry 2 devices. When I go on my holidays I always take the kindle and when home and I want to read I can easily go through a book on a day (if I have the time).

Kindle and similar are for the serious readers who like a bit of comfort, i can still remember how I when I went to the islands had to carry a big load of books with me. Now no need at all.

Exactly. You simply cannot compare a phone or a tablet to a Kindle. Kindle is for reading! Phones and tablets are used primarily for other purposes and yes you can read on them too.

But the reading experience on a Kindle is far superior to reading on a tablet or a phone. Battery life is better. Etc. Etc. as others have mentioned.

We need to compare Apples to Apples. Comparing Kindle to other devices is like comparing an apple to an orange.smile.png

I have has a Kindle DX - the larger Format model - for nearly 5 years and love it, however I am dreading the day it eventually goes toes up because they no longer make the large Format version (apparently not enough demand) but I am a voracious - and quick - reader and I would read a page on the 6" model in a few seconds so I'd be constantly "turning" a page which would be a little irritating.

Patrick

Yes DX beats all 8.9 inch screen

Kindle means stuck with Amazon if not aware of Calibre,book from there will include amazon but include other sources ie same book,same author can come in far cheaper than amazon. For one the BBC history magazine 12 month download from Calibre ..excellent ,so is the daily UK newspaper download

Hate paying more than £2 for kindle book,not a novel reader,so book choice limited,remove copyright with calibre app from more expensive books to share will incur the wrath of Amazon and clear your on line library in your kindle

Patrick

Kindle means stuck with Amazon if not aware of Calibre,book from there will include amazon but include other sources ie same book,same author can come in far cheaper than amazon. For one the BBC history magazine 12 month download from Calibre ..excellent ,so is the daily UK newspaper download

Hate paying more than £2 for kindle book,not a novel reader,so book choice limited,remove copyright with calibre app from more expensive books to share will incur the wrath of Amazon and clear your on line library in your kindle

Are you sure your statement below is correct? I have many non Amazon books on my kindle as well as Amazon books and this has never happened to me. Are you scaremongering?smile.png

"Hate paying more than £2 for kindle book,not a novel reader,so book choice limited,remove copyright with calibre app from more expensive books to share will incur the wrath of Amazon and clear your on line library in your kindle

Patrick

Are you sure your statement below is correct? I have many non Amazon books on my kindle as well as Amazon books and this has never happened to me. Are you scaremongering?smile.png

"Hate paying more than £2 for kindle book,not a novel reader,so book choice limited,remove copyright with calibre app from more expensive books to share will incur the wrath of Amazon and clear your on line library in your kindle

Search for this subject on the 'net, its there. the fact you have non-Amazon on it means nothing,its when the copyright is removed

Patrick

Search for this subject on the 'net, its there. the fact you have non-Amazon on it means nothing,its when the copyright is removed

Therefore this will happen on all Ebook readers I would assume? I use Calibre all the time and have never had an issue. Are you telling us that Amazon know what non Amazon books with copyright removed are on our Kindles?

Therefore this will happen on all Ebook readers I would assume? I use Calibre all the time and have never had an issue. Are you telling us that Amazon know what non Amazon books with copyright removed are on our Kindles?

Look,have had Kindle for years and used Kindle for donkeys years, I download from Calibre too,quite frequently but when copyright is stripped I presume from one of their books ,which is easily done and I guess shared yes they have systems in place to detect.

Made aware of it through this or other web site a fair while ago,and the books on your kindle are stripped,or use Calibre to stack them there. am not searching the subject in depth but look it up