The Best Ways to Cook Duck

NaRangsit

I have a freshly slaughtered duck that needs to be cooked, I am at a loss of the best way to cook it without access to an oven.I'm thinking of making a duck curry. Any tips on this? Will the way the duck met it's demise effect the quality of meat? I killed it with a blunt instrument due to it's incessant quacking late at night. The joys of farm life? My concern is that its violent death may have made the meat dull, stringy and unpalatable. This is why a think I curry would be best.

Duck curry is nice.

A fast death is a good one as far as meat quality is concerned. I hope you bled it out quickly.

If I were you, I would pluck and clean it, then wrap in a moist cloth and leave in the fridge for several days to "hang".

Then cut it up and make an Indian style curry.

The Thais seem to be really keen on duck but I don't like it that much.I find the meat can be a bit rubbery, a bit like the Gai Baan.

My sister in law cooked a duck last night, she boiled it in Pa Lo sauce. It had a nice flavour but a bit tough. I much prefer the chicken from the supermarket.

Duck curry is nice.

A fast death is a good one as far as meat quality is concerned. I hope you bled it out quickly.

If I were you, I would pluck and clean it, then wrap in a moist cloth and leave in the fridge for several days to "hang".

Then cut it up and make an Indian style curry.

Good advice.

Or perhaps try a mussaman curry.

damn, a dead duck and no oven... IMO duck skin that isn't grilled or roasted is going to waste.

Maybe one way to prepare it without an oven would be to cut off the outer layer of meat with the skin and make these in a pan and use the rest for a curry.

And buy an oven!

It's useful also for chicken, not only grilled chicken but also baked chicken wings, a welcome change from the usually disgusting fried chicken wings they serve here.

Ducks can be nasty little creatures and some are not nice to eat especially the older ones due that they are tough...in my professional opinion a curry is the right choice ore just give to some Soi dogs those poor souls will appreciate it...

In addtion to be nasty i thing you will find the meat of an old duck tastes rancid and even bitter if that the right word i agree feed old duck to the soi dogs

Ducks can be nasty little creatures and some are not nice to eat especially the older ones due that they are tough...in my professional opinion a curry is the right choice ore just give to some Soi dogs those poor souls will appreciate it...

In addtion to be nasty i thing you will find the meat of an old duck tastes rancid and even bitter if that the right word i agree feed old duck to the soi dogs

Old duck make good duck soup thumbsup.gif

The annoying duck who used to plague my days with incessant dribble I injected with barbiturates one day and watched him froth at the mouth and die a horrible tortuous death while I listened to some Beethoven at full volume.

A quick taxidermy course and he is now stuffed and takes pride of place as my toilet brush....any time anyone has a bout of diarrhoea you can hear his beak give off a faint squeak.

Its a delightful memory.

On to the cooking of duck...there is only hoi sin sauce and pancakes for me....delicious!

The annoying duck who used to plague my days with incessant dribble I injected with barbiturates one day and watched him froth at the mouth and die a horrible tortuous death while I listened to some Beethoven at full volume.

A quick taxidermy course and he is now stuffed and takes pride of place as my toilet brush....any time anyone has a bout of diarrhoea you can hear his beak give off a faint squeak.

Its a delightful memory.

On to the cooking of duck...there is only hoi sin sauce and pancakes for me....delicious!

What a waste of perfect good drugs....both barrels from a Purdy would have been better...but then again you wouldnt have a toilet brush..my preferred for an annoying duck of any species is a 12 bore

Adrenaline also affects some meat. Making it more tender.

It's why in China, they often set dogs on fire and let them panic before killing them.

The panic based adrenaline rush affects the meat in a positive manner.

So perhaps setting it on fire, before killing it would have given it extra flavor. Plus perhaps crispened up the skin and juiced up fat.

Edited by DLang

Adrenaline also affects some meat. Making it more tender.

It's why in China, they often set dogs on fire and let them panic before killing them.

The panic based adrenaline rush affects the meat in a positive manner.

So perhaps setting it on fire, before killing it would have given it extra flavor. Plus perhaps crispened up the skin and juiced up fat.

Good heavens. Such a method would absolutely ruin venison. I have never taken a deer I couldn't get with a single shot to the head for precisely that reason. The last thing you want is a shot of adrenaline coursing through the meat.

On the other hand, I can see some merit in setting fire to a live duck that quacks all night. smile.png

I see these convection ovens all over the place for 1000 baht. They seem to be a pretty good size. I wonder if they would work well for duck.

0000000007_1.jpg

A also see the frozen duck parts at Makro and have wondered if they'd be any good roasted in one of those ovens. Maybe use breasts and render the skin down first in a hot pan?