Bangkok blast: Thailand's police say they consider case solved, receive cash awards again

Lite Beer

Bangkok blast: Thailand's police say they consider case solved, receive cash awards again

36208324_-_28_09_2015_-_thailand-blast_.

Thai national police chief Somyot Pumpanmuang holding up a reward before a news conference about the Bangkok blast which killed 20 people, including foreigners, at the Royal Thai Police headquarters in central Bangkok, Thailand, on Sept 28, 2015. The reward of fat wads of cash in front of journalists was the second time ‘’award’’ money has been given to police teams working on the case.

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's police have said they consider the Erawan Shrine blast case solved, as they awarded themselves with cash, but will continue to investigate a potential domestic political angle to the bomb blast that killed 20 people on Aug 17 at the popular shrine in Bangkok.

At a press conference in Bangkok on Monday (Sept 28), Thai police chief Somyot Poompunmuang, who is serving his last days in office before retiring, reiterated that the bomb attack was revenge by a gang that was smuggling ethnic Uighurs out of China and had been damaged by a police crackdown.

But he said one of two Thai suspects in the case had also been involved in a bomb blast at an apartment in Nontahaburi on the outskirts of Bangkok in 2010.

"We have yet to establish these (political) links. It might have been a contract crime. A group might have hired another already bent on taking revenge to commit the crime, so both got what they wanted," he said.

The police have also again been awarded fat wads of cash in front of journalists for their efforts.

The cash comprised donations from private businessmen as well as Gen Somyot's personal money, the chief said.

It was the second time "award" money has been given to police teams working on the case.

Read More: http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/bangkok-blast-thailands-police-say-they-consider-case-solved-will-probe-political-angle

--TheStraitsTimes. 2015-09-28

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One thinks that the reward should be paid following a successful conviction.

This pantomime is making Thailand look like a complete joke. And a dirty one at that.

Interesting to know the bogeyman is still a suspect : I sense we are being fed the Uighurs line to keep both sides of the political divide quiet.

This pantomime is making Thailand look like a complete joke. And a dirty one at that.

Interesting to know the bogeyman is still a suspect : I sense we are being fed the Uighurs line to keep both sides of the political divide quiet.

Yes they are a complete joke, i read the article in the Dutch press did not look good. But its crazy that they get money to do their job and there is not even a conviction.

At least chief Wiggum has comic relief in spades. Somyot has nothing, not even shame. How is the case solved exactly. This case has more chance of kicking off reforms if it proves to be a set up. I honestly can't see these confessions sticking if a semi decent defence team gets its teeth into the RTP's handy work.

Even by the gutter standards that have been a hallmark of his tenure, this is a breathtakingly low low. Shame on everybody involved in this charade.

EJ,, It's not often I agree with your comments, but credit due when credit is due.

Your first 2 lines I agree with but the open ended following lines I'm not to sure I'm able see what you mean??? ie "the bogeyman"

Who is the "bogeyman"?? and who do you lay the blame with? Let me take a wild guess,,, Thaksin the man that buy's the world?

There should be NO FINANCIAL REWARD.

This is exactly what exacerbates, accelerates and breeds corruption. Rewarding a police force with cash for doing their job, is like giving a kid a fancy treat every time they say "thank you".

The reward is an inner sense of satisfaction knowing that you worked hard to solve a heinous crime - and, moreover - the gratitude of the public for helping them feel safer in an unstable environment.

Disgusted is too soft a word in this case.

So case solved just days before Somyot retires. Money handed out with big smiles to celebrate the huge success and he leaves basking in glory and 'face' gone through the roof.

Except the glory is all self-imposed and he fails to see that the smiles are people laughing at him for how obvious and shallow it is.

@aussieinthailand: it's pretty straightforward if you care to think about it. A political connection is virtually certain to mean the only group who has already committed terrorism in Bangkok on numerous occasions - and people of that group would never dare to do such a thing without the permission from the man in charge. I don't know if you are unable to work it out or hypocritically refuse to acknowledge it. I expect you argued the protesters fired grenades at themselves right up until the red-shirt was caught. Who do you think ordered that ?.

No arrest of the mastermind.

No arrest of the financer.

No acknowledgement of this being an act of terrorism even though this was a brutal attack on innocent civilians.

I think that the government should order a couple of million buckets of sand so that all the officials can stick their heads in them.

If you cannot accept you have a problem then you will never accept that you have to find a solution for it.

If you don't try to fix what is wrong you will never progress as a nation or as a people.

You do not solve a problem by pretending it doesn't exist.

Face it and deal with it - logically - not with loss of FACE or emotions.