Honda PCX v Yamaha N Max

Just Curious

You tested the ABS with firm but not full force braking

on a clean dry road?

At 50 ?

Not stuttering?

Your brakes are okay of course, but those conditions will not activate the ABS technology.

50 to 17 in three seconds?

My Nouvo can brake better.

I consider what I tested to be a good demonstration of the braking system on the NMAX ... yes the road was mostly dry. And it doesn't matter that the ABS system was engaged or not. What I felt and experienced was superior braking. Also readers should consider that my Thailand bike experience has been a year of renting small 125 cc Hondas and Yamahas and the brakes on these were mostly horrible... And those bikes do exhibit what I call stuttering in hard breaking - that is successive moderate to hard grabbing of the brakes And yes I tested at a speed of about 50 kph as I do not normally drive at speeds much above that - as I have no need to. Regardless of whether the ABS systems engaged or not -- what happened in my braking tests showed a wonderfully balanced system between the front and rear brakes.

I was not foolish enough to go out on a wet road with a new and heaver bike than I and used to - one that I have only ridden for 10 kilometers and do stunt driving and braking. I will leave that for the foolish. It doesn't matter what your Nuovo can do - many bikes could probably do as good or better. What I was describing was excellent braking that would simulate the need for a sudden slowdown due to an unexpected road situation such as coming up in the back of a traffic jam or a child in the road. That is slow down quickly and under full control to allow dealing with the situation.

In short I was just telling the readers here what my first experiences with the NMAX had been in the first two days of ownership. I am sure some biking blog or on line magazine will fully road test the NMAX for braking and rounding tight turns and such under normal and hazardous road conditions.

Are your mirrors better than mine too?

• Like 1

Looks like this thread is turning into "mine is bigger and better than yours" oh dear.

Yes but the topic is called PCX v N Max so not really surprising.

When guys are discussing bikes/cars they are like small kids and will almost always defend their own choise very hard.

I have a 1st gen pcx150 and I have been very happy with it for what it is; a city hopper, not enough grunt for me out on the highways.

I ride a Versys 650 when going further away but it's not pratical at all downtown, so don't use it for that.

@properperson; you wrote that you are on your 4th PCX, how come you change them out all the time?

• Like 1

Any tall lanky guys ride one of these N-Max's? The dealer by me doesn't have one yet. At 194cm I don't fit on a PCX but a Nouvo is fine... Probably due to the more upright riding position.

This N Max looks much more roomy judging by the pics. Higher handle bars and more leg room.

I'm 6' 3" long legs, NMAX is great.

• Like 2

Any tall lanky guys ride one of these N-Max's? The dealer by me doesn't have one yet. At 194cm I don't fit on a PCX but a Nouvo is fine... Probably due to the more upright riding position.

This N Max looks much more roomy judging by the pics. Higher handle bars and more leg room.

I'm 6' 3" long legs, NMAX is great.

Perfect! Patiently waiting for them to show up here in Vietnam. I like how you can ride with your feet up on the higher floor boards. Stretch out and cruise.

post-246366-0-12437700-1447410551_thumb.

One thing I don't like about the NMax is the air box is very loosely fitted, it feels like you could easily pull it off when washing, can't think of anything else bad to say, thought there was something wrong with the fuel gauge today, filled it up a few days okay and 80kms later still showing full, went down a bar shortly after 80kms.

Edited by Badrabbit

Update on my NMAX after a whole 200 kilometers of riding it ... It is smooth riding to Krabi Town - some 23K... The strong acceleration and braking are doing just what I had hoped for ... it provides quick get away ability to get away from the reckless drivers and the smooth strong brakes provide another way of avoiding the same problems... It is a pleasure to ride the NMAX on the open road.

Most everything is good... few minor complaints ... such as the mirrors still vibrate when accelerating. This causes a blur of the mirror image. The only way to see clear is to pause acceleration for a few seconds. I am going to talk to the dealer but doubt I will get any satisfaction.

One other minor thing is the twist grip to increase engine speed... as with many bikes - at slow speed it is too sensitive - a slight movement causes a bit of lurching (too much acceleration for the slight effort applied) -- it needs to be metered down at slow speed in some way. It is not easy to move the twist handle grip just a few millimeters to maintain slow speeds... because a few millimeters of movement do not equate to a slow movement around a parking lot - rather it is a series of lurches -- I am getting better with practice - but the mechanism needs to be improved. I have ridden many rental bikes with this problem and several that did not ... so it can be done.

I got the USB and Power Outlet device. The dealer sold me an after market device and installed it ...

post-135557-0-55896300-1448076983_thumb.

post-135557-0-52374000-1448077134_thumb.

• Like 1

Update on my NMAX after a whole 200 kilometers of riding it ... It is smooth riding to Krabi Town - some 23K... The strong acceleration and braking are doing just what I had hoped for ... it provides quick get away ability to get away from the reckless drivers and the smooth strong brakes provide another way of avoiding the same problems... It is a pleasure to ride the NMAX on the open road.

Most everything is good... few minor complaints ... such as the mirrors still vibrate when accelerating. This causes a blur of the mirror image. The only way to see clear is to pause acceleration for a few seconds. I am going to talk to the dealer but doubt I will get any satisfaction.

One other minor thing is the twist grip to increase engine speed... as with many bikes - at slow speed it is too sensitive - a slight movement causes a bit of lurching (too much acceleration for the slight effort applied) -- it needs to be metered down at slow speed in some way. It is not easy to move the twist handle grip just a few millimeters to maintain slow speeds... because a few millimeters of movement do not equate to a slow movement around a parking lot - rather it is a series of lurches -- I am getting better with practice - but the mechanism needs to be improved. I have ridden many rental bikes with this problem and several that did not ... so it can be done.

I got the USB and Power Outlet device. The dealer sold me an after market device and installed it ...

attachicon.gifP_20151121_093611.jpg

attachicon.gifP_20151110_125644.jpg

I also have the mirror vibration but I also had it on my Honda Click, it's something you just have to get used too, had the foot plates and hand guards fitted the other day, foot plates look very good the hand guards look a bit odd but again something to get used too, waiting for the tall screen to arrive, my 12v outlet is under the seat, I think the NMax is even better than the Forza just slightly smaller.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1448087056.983252.jpg

Not really needed but it was one of 5 accessories available so I thought I would get, makes the bike look funky lol

At some point I may get the tall wind screen... the knuckle guards ... not needed for what I do...

Oh and the Foot Plates ... do you have a photo of those installed? ... Never heard of them ...

Edited by JDGRUEN

Not really needed but it was one of 5 accessories available so I thought I would get, makes the bike look funky lol

At some point I may get the tall wind screen... the knuckle guards ... not needed for what I do...

I do quite a few 1500km plus trips a yr so the knuckle guards made sense also the tall screen will I am sure make a difference.

Oh and the Foot Plates ... do you have a photo of those installed? ... Never heard of them ...

post-225670-14481111518492_thumb.jpg

I don't understand anybody would want a tall windscreen on a slow scooter?

Yes when going over 120-130 km/h the wind factor can really be felt but below that I prefer the wind in my face.

I am looking forward to see the Yamaha in the flesh soon when finshed working overseas next friday.

Yes when going over 120-130 km/h the wind factor can really be felt but below that I prefer the wind in my face.

I am looking forward to see the Yamaha in the flesh soon when finshed working overseas next friday.

The wind will still be in your face as the screen is not higher than your head( don't think it's higher than your head) it just makes the wind less of a discomfort over a long distance especially when you are doing 700kms in a day! Edited by Badrabbit
  • Like 1

The wind will still be in your face as the screen is not higher than your head( don't think it's higher than your head) it just makes the wind less of a discomfort over a long distance especially when you are doing 700kms in a day!

Well I guess we all got our personal preferences in that regard.

When I rode HD, I bought a screen to snap on as sometimes we were doing 140 when no traffic.

How fast do you ride when doing touring? My pcx150 can perhaps go app 110 but the engine fells less strained at app 80-90km/h and fuel cons also much lower at that speed.

Perhaps the new N Max can go around 100 for long distances?

On my Versys the screen is very good (adjustable) and I can go app 150-160 without felling too much pressure from the wind for longer periods if I want.

Looks like this thread is turning into "mine is bigger and better than yours" oh dear.

Yes but the topic is called PCX v N Max so not really surprising.

When guys are discussing bikes/cars they are like small kids and will almost always defend their own choise very hard.

I have a 1st gen pcx150 and I have been very happy with it for what it is; a city hopper, not enough grunt for me out on the highways.

I ride a Versys 650 when going further away but it's not pratical at all downtown, so don't use it for that.

@properperson; you wrote that you are on your 4th PCX, how come you change them out all the time?

started out with one of the first 125's to come out - silver with brown plastics....

Honda then came up with the black plastics and common sense said to me that a red/black plastic one would have a much better re-sale value than a silver/brown plastics one....so part ex'd it (went for red / black plastics)....

Kept that one for a couple of years and a ltd edition matte black 150 came out....so part ex'd the red one for the matte black one....

Few weeks ago went to look at the new pearl white one with red plastics - part ex'd the matte black one ...

so 4 PCX's under my belt and still reccon they are the best small scooter out there.....

• Like 2

500kms now completed, seat and riding position very comfortable, knuckle guards look okay, foot plates also look good, plenty of room under the seat and with the top box there is enough space for my long trips(I recommend getting the Yamaha top case bracket, 3k but it looks part of the bike unlike the aftermarket bracket) the tall screen will be a great addition on long trips(out of stock told maybe middle of December)

New You tube video we just shot at Watchara Marine which should show everyone some really good views of the new Yamaha Nmax (and our comments of this bike versus the PCX). https://youtu.be/EeQv1OWsnuo

In this video we discuss and show several Triumph models as well as the KTM 200 Duke, KTM 390, the Yamaha Bolt, the Yamaha R-3, Yamaha MT-3, Yamaha SR 400, and the new Yamaha MT-7. So far I've been unable to find a rental N-Max I could road test, so this will have to do, for now.

Edited by jackcorbett
  • Like 2

New You tube video we just shot at Watchara Marine which should show everyone some really good views of the new Yamaha Nmax (and our comments of this bike versus the PCX).

In this video we discuss and show several Triumph models as well as the KTM 200 Duke, KTM 390, the Yamaha Bolt, the Yamaha R-3, Yamaha MT-3, Yamaha SR 400, and the new Yamaha MT-7. So far I've been unable to find a rental N-Max I could road test, so this will have to do, for now.

Love it "don't drive a big bike in Pattaya unless you are a winker" awesome reporting!! Edited by Badrabbit
  • Like 2

So far I've been unable to find a rental N-Max I could road test, so this will have to do, for now.

Where are you located? In Pattaya I could tell you a place where you can rent the NMAX.

I'm in Naklua on Soi 16

Now all the winkers know where you live!!

Mrs.Trans PCX is now 6 years old, sweet as a nut. New battery at 5 years old. Just wish it had a kick start in reserve.

I'm not saying the PCX is bad in fact I know it is very good, for me being very tall the NMax is better as it is very similar to the Forza where you can stretch your legs out further than on the PCX, thought about buying the PCX many times but whenever I sat on It comfort was an issue, glad the NMax has come out its perfect now for my long trips.
you said the same about your new Honda click about a month ago ,then again the same about your Honda nc 700 and again with your z1000,but then I'm sure a few weeks back you said bikes are not for you and you want to travel safe and in comfort. The bike dealers must love you.....they do say variety is the spice of life.......what happened to the green Nissan car you had.