Honda PCX v Yamaha N Max

Just Curious

Mrs.Trans PCX is now 6 years old, sweet as a nut. New battery at 5 years old. Just wish it had a kick start in reserve.

I'm not saying the PCX is bad in fact I know it is very good, for me being very tall the NMax is better as it is very similar to the Forza where you can stretch your legs out further than on the PCX, thought about buying the PCX many times but whenever I sat on It comfort was an issue, glad the NMax has come out its perfect now for my long trips.
you said the same about your new Honda click about a month ago ,then again the same about your Honda nc 700 and again with your z1000,but then I'm sure a few weeks back you said bikes are not for you and you want to travel safe and in comfort. The bike dealers must love you.....they do say variety is the spice of life.......what happened to the green Nissan car you had.

Are you a private dick? what's this about a green Nissan car?

Mrs.Trans PCX is now 6 years old, sweet as a nut. New battery at 5 years old. Just wish it had a kick start in reserve.

I'm not saying the PCX is bad in fact I know it is very good, for me being very tall the NMax is better as it is very similar to the Forza where you can stretch your legs out further than on the PCX, thought about buying the PCX many times but whenever I sat on It comfort was an issue, glad the NMax has come out its perfect now for my long trips.
you said the same about your new Honda click about a month ago ,then again the same about your Honda nc 700 and again with your z1000,but then I'm sure a few weeks back you said bikes are not for you and you want to travel safe and in comfort. The bike dealers must love you.....they do say variety is the spice of life.......what happened to the green Nissan car you had.
Are you a private dick? what's this about a green Nissan car?
no just have good memory sometimes.

N max has small place under the seat. and mirror are too small. no idle stop.

only good thing is the disc break in the rear. I think the pcx is better.

PCX is obviously a great bike, I see many many everyday, PCX is not a good bike for a tall rider, plenty of room under the NMax seat, mirrors are adequate, rarely use Idle stop, ABS and rear disc brake a good addition and at the same price as the PCX, NMax is so comfortable from standard I'm thinking many PCX owners change the standard seat, both bikes are great, it's down to personal choice.

• Like 1

So far I've been unable to find a rental N-Max I could road test, so this will have to do, for now.

Where are you located? In Pattaya I could tell you a place where you can rent the NMAX.

I'm in Naklua on Soi 16

here you can rent the NMAX per day for 150 Baht

Momento Resort

Telephone: 038-422-114

Address: 143/117 Moo 12, Soi Daeng-Dum, Thepprasit Road Soi 8

• Like 1

So far I've been unable to find a rental N-Max I could road test, so this will have to do, for now.

Where are you located? In Pattaya I could tell you a place where you can rent the NMAX.

I'm in Naklua on Soi 16

here you can rent the NMAX per day for 150 Baht

Momento Resort

Telephone: 038-422-114

Address: 143/117 Moo 12, Soi Daeng-Dum, Thepprasit Road Soi 8

That's well cheap, new PCX here 500 bht a day!

Now all the winkers know where you live!!

But I never called them, Winkers. PlOne did. (I now see what's behind his continued unwillingness to stay out of all pictures and video). And they haven't the slightest clue where he lives.

Edited by jackcorbett

But I never called them, Winkers. PlOne did. (I now see what's behind his continued unwillingness to stay out of all pictures and video). And they haven't the slightest clue where he lives.
Yea that is true, and off course they don't know where he lives, not something I would have said inside a motorbike dealers shop, so is he saying that all who ride a big bike in a busy city are winkers? have a drive of the NMax it's awesome!

Look forward to your NMax review.

Edited by Badrabbit

Yea that is true, and off course they don't know where he lives, not something I would have said inside a motorbike dealers shop, so is he saying that all who ride a big bike in a busy city are winkers? have a drive of the NMax it's awesome!

I am not sure where PlONe draws the line between Winkers and non-Winkers. Perhaps he secretly thinks I am a Winker for driving the SR400. But perhaps he draws his line at the 650 level. That is those who drive bikes up to 650 cc's are okay and those who choose larger bikes are Winkers. I know he has a low opinion of PCX's and those who drive them, an opinion I do not share with him. But he does some terrific camera work and he does come up with some really great off the wall comments.

• Like 1

I am not sure where PlONe draws the line between Winkers and non-Winkers. Perhaps he secretly thinks I am a Winker for driving the SR400. But perhaps he draws his line at the 650 level. That is those who drive bikes up to 650 cc's are okay and those who choose larger bikes are Winkers. I know he has a low opinion of PCX's and those who drive them, an opinion I do not share with him. But he does some terrific camera work and he does come up with some really great off the wall comments.

Anyway, have a drive of the NMax and let us know what you think.

• 2 weeks later...

More on my NMAX... Time flies... it has only been a few weeks since I bought it... but am so used to the comfort and reliability that it feels much longer... Compared to rental 125s the NMAX is heavy but I am already used to it ... nimble and agile are good descriptive words for it... and I am way over age 60. To me the lines of the NMAX have incorporated certain style treatments of the MAXSYM and Forza without the overweight look... The brakes have already saved me when I failed to see a very small car hidden from view by shrubs in the median ... In the seconds it took to realize my mistake ... rear brake application stopped me in less than a meter ... I was greatly relieved and took the event as a lesson learned rather than an accident.

Upon purchase I was not given any license plates... so I made my own red one... The Yamaha staff were amused ... Two days ago I was handed a white plate by the Dealer staff... no red one was ever issued. To conclude with my NMAX ... LG ... Life is Good...

Where do you live? In Bangkok they dont issue red plates....

Krabi Province... I have no experience - except reading about red plates being issued here on TVF... I was just surprised that I did not get any temporary plates for the month or so it took to get the real ones ... And my friends were surprised that red plates were not issued... So .... ???

I tried to educate the Yamaha Dealer staff about the usefulness of the Dealer issuing a temporary plastic plate with the Dealer Name on it -- Free Advertising on it ... but the chief guy didn't get it and thought I should have put a color photocopy of my main passport page on it ... My laughing caused him to understand that it was not a good idea.. The red plastic plate I made got lots of attention around town - most thought it a bit amusing ...

• Like 1

My pcx150 can perhaps go app 110 but the engine fells less strained at app 80-90km/h and fuel cons also much lower at that speed.

Perhaps the new N Max can go around 100 for long distances?

On my Versys the screen is very good (adjustable) and I can go app 150-160 without felling too much pressure from the wind for longer periods if I want.

Indications are that N Max will top out at about 120+, similar to Forza 125. But one can get that out of a PCX with an aftermarket variator which then makes cruising at 100 less hassle.

In January i will have available variators for the N Max, so will be quicker in the midrange, will cruise at lower RPM and hill climbing will be better. No figures yet for improved top speed but maybe 130 as Forza hits 128 already.

One other minor thing is the twist grip to increase engine speed... as with many bikes - at slow speed it is too sensitive - a slight movement causes a bit of lurching (too much acceleration for the slight effort applied) -- it needs to be metered down at slow speed in some way.

JD.

PCX has a" built in delay" at parking lot speeds but some of the guys on model specific forums don't like it. It is difficult to please everyonesmile.png

• 4 weeks later...

I don't understand anybody would want a tall windscreen on a slow scooter?

Yes when going over 120-130 km/h the wind factor can really be felt but below that I prefer the wind in my face.

I am looking forward to see the Yamaha in the flesh soon when finshed working overseas next friday.

The wind will still be in your face as the screen is not higher than your head( don't think it's higher than your head) it just makes the wind less of a discomfort over a long distance especially when you are doing 700kms in a day!

If you are a lady, and it is raining, and this is your regular transportation the windscreen is most desirable, no need to change clothes or redo wind and rain marred make up.

I like wind in the face, but have a memphis shades removable cowling to make it a bit less on long faster drives. But generally never take it off for around town. But for the wife, the taller windscreen will please her a lot.

I saw the PCK150 was sold out, but one coming and but no test drives were offered. I did talk to an owner of 2 years of a PCX150 and his wife and both were very happy. W e test drive the NMax tomorrow.

My mrs. has had a Yamaha Spark135 for 10 years, It has been beaten mercilessly for a decade and still goes fine.

But a recent fall from being cut off by an idiot on a wet road, grabbing the front brake too hard,and then having another idiot hit her bike while it was down, trashing his front wheel badly, along with his knees, made me decide to get her an ABS bike.

It is down to the PCX150 and the Nmax155.

Yamaha is significantly close to our place than Honda, and we know them. 2km vs 15 km

NMax requires learning to use left hand rear brake, but it's full ABS disk. In an emergency stop, 10 years of habit would be pull the front lever and then go for there at pedal on right, which won't be there.... habit to break and relearn.

PCX has same basic lever for brakes, right hand, but is combi- ABS 70% rear, 30% front. No relearning and she is less likely to be thinking use the rear first on wet anyway (as much as I have said to).

PCX has slightly more carry room inside. But not a deal breaker. and dashboard charger plug and phone drawer.

NMAX has optional under seat charger plug

Nmax has nice optional tall windscreen

PCX not sure.

Both can have Givi type boxes added.

I like the fatter tires on the Nmax, even if the wheels are smaller. More rubber on the road and I don't really care how many turns is needed to go the same distance. Maybe a slight loss in tire wear, but more rubber on the road is a plus especially with great brakes.

So could be a toss up broken by her preference. I had a Honda here for 8 years, 4 different ones over 50 years, and also a Yamaha or two, Norton, Harley et al.

She's had on Yamaha for a decade and likes it, but time for more modern.

Forza is just too big, Suzuki Burgman also and not here. So PCX150 vs Nmax155. Which will she like?

Edited by animatic

I don't understand anybody would want a tall windscreen on a slow scooter?

Yes when going over 120-130 km/h the wind factor can really be felt but below that I prefer the wind in my face.

I am looking forward to see the Yamaha in the flesh soon when finshed working overseas next friday.

The wind will still be in your face as the screen is not higher than your head( don't think it's higher than your head) it just makes the wind less of a discomfort over a long distance especially when you are doing 700kms in a day!

If you are a lady, and it is raining, and this is your regular transportation the windscreen is most desirable, no need to change clothes or redo wind and rain marred make up.

I like wind in the face, but have a memphis shades removable cowling to make it a bit less on long faster drives. But generally never take it off for around town. But for the wife, the taller windscreen will please her a lot.

I saw the PCK150 was sold out, but one coming and but no test drives were offered. I did talk to an owner of 2 years of a PCX150 and his wife and both were very happy. W e test drive the NMax tomorrow.

My mrs. has had a Yamaha Spark135 for 10 years, It has been beaten mercilessly for a decade and still goes fine.

But a recent fall from being cut off by an idiot on a wet road, grabbing the front brake too hard,and then having another idiot hit her bike while it was down, trashing his front wheel badly, along with his knees, made me decide to get her an ABS bike.

It is down to the PCX150 and the Nmax155.

Yamaha is significantly close to our place than Honda, and we know them. 2km vs 15 km

NMax requires learning to use left hand rear brake, but it's full ABS disk. In an emergency stop, 10 years of habit would be pull the front lever and then go for there at pedal on right, which won't be there.... habit to break and relearn.

PCX has same basic lever for brakes, right hand, but is combi- ABS 70% rear, 30% front. No relearning and she is less likely to be thinking use the rear first on wet anyway (as much as I have said to).

PCX has slightly more carry room inside. But not a deal breaker. and dashboard charger plug and phone drawer.

NMAX has optional under seat charger plug

Nmax has nice optional tall windscreen

PCX not sure.

Both can have Givi type boxes added.

I like the fatter tires on the Nmax, even if the wheels are smaller. More rubber on the road and I don't really care how many turns is needed to go the same distance. Maybe a slight loss in tire wear, but more rubber on the road is a plus especially with great brakes.

So could be a toss up broken by her preference. I had a Honda here for 8 years, 4 different ones over 50 years, and also a Yamaha or two, Norton, Harley et al.

She's had on Yamaha for a decade and likes it, but time for more modern.

Forza is just too big, Suzuki Burgman also and not here. So PCX150 vs Nmax155. Which will she like?

In the real world there's <deleted> all in it - both bikes are good and whichevery one you buy, you'll be pleased with it....

If the Yamaha dealer is nearer to you, and you know tham anre happy with their service, that may well tip you over into the Yamaha camp...

I had one of the first PCX's when they were first released.....on my 4th now, never had a problem, will prob keep with PCX's as i'm comfortable with them....