Honda PCX v Yamaha N Max

Just Curious

i've seen a few thai driving the N-Max but they can't put their feet on the ground....gigglem.gif

Guess it won't be a big success here, it's too high for them.

Also it should have bigger wheels imo.

That's odd i've got an NMAX and i wouldn't say the seat height is particularly high. My tgf has a Yamaha Grande Filano whose seat is higher.

i've seen a few thai driving the N-Max but they can't put their feet on the ground....gigglem.gif

Guess it won't be a big success here, it's too high for them.

Also it should have bigger wheels imo.

That's odd i've got an NMAX and i wouldn't say the seat height is particularly high. My tgf has a Yamaha Grande Filano whose seat is higher.

Bigger wheels and the seat would be even higher,

and even less successful?

good idea

• Like 1

Just bought a nmax 155 and got say very good scooter, the balance of the scooter is excellent and even two up is very good, I am 6ft and very comfy, still running it in so not really opened it up.

It's an automatic scooter, you can't red line it, so I don't think you have to worry about opening it up. There's no need for a run in or break in period.

• Like 1

If i wasn't sold on ABS i certainly am now. I was riding behind a PCX yesterday on 3rd road, we were going slowly about 30kph. A car pulled out about 10 metres in front of the PCX. He must have braked hard because his bike went down in an instant, presumably locked front wheel. The NMAX stopped with no problem. Luckily no one hurt, just some scratches on the PCX but just shows how useful it can be.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I haven't seen the N-Max in real yet, but from the broschure it looks great.

Presently I am riding a Yamaha Exciter 150 cc, very happy with it but want to have the seat altered.

The Exciter is a bit more like a bike than a scooter

The PCX is great as all Hondas are. What I don't like about the PCX is the seating position.

Don't decide on either one before you had the chance to test ride them.

I would like to see the difference in fuel economy between the two bearing in mind that the Yamaha Fino

is very poor on fuel consumption.

I do have a PCX 150, and as has been already pointed out, the fuel consumption is brilliant.

I have been renting the PCX and NMAX (2016 models) while on holiday in Thailand and enjoyed both but they have some major issues that should be considered before purchase

1.The new keyless smart remote on PCX seems like a gimmick bit it works well in reality, however new bikes only come with one remote and Honda dont seem to want to sell a spare

2. PCX rear suspension bottoms out when riding two up from new, a known issue that can be sorted with aftermarket shocks but Honda should have fixed it on the 2016 model!

3. The mirrors are far superior on the PCX (bigger, more clear, better adjustments and dont suffer with vibration like NMAX does

4. The PCX is quicker from traffic lights but the NMAX has a higher top speed

5. As other posters have said the resale value of PCX will be better than the NMAX

6. I preferred the brakes on the NMAX especially the rear hydraulic disc, good progressive power with good feel and feedback

Edited by yoda01
  • Like 2

the reality is that the PCX and the N Max are cheap, efficient little scooters - which ever you buy, i'm sure you'll be pleased....

But making up tales that as a new N Max owner, you've seen a PCX owner skid, is absolute tosh in my book....

i've had a PCX since they came out - currently on my 4th..if someone took it away and gave me an N Max, i'm sure i'd be happy with it, but please stop keep harping on that the N max is infinately superior to the PCX, when it obviously isnt.....

• Like 1

the reality is that the PCX and the N Max are cheap, efficient little scooters - which ever you buy, i'm sure you'll be pleased....

But making up tales that as a new N Max owner, you've seen a PCX owner skid, is absolute tosh in my book....

i've had a PCX since they came out - currently on my 4th..if someone took it away and gave me an N Max, i'm sure i'd be happy with it, but please stop keep harping on that the N max is infinately superior to the PCX, when it obviously isnt.....

Lol

I can assure you it wasn't made up. Sorry i didn't have a helmet cam to prove it. Are you calling me a liar?

• 4 weeks later...

I committed to Honda, owned 2 PCX 1st and 2nd gen , now on a Forza, rented PCX 3rd gen and Nmax and have to say I am impressed by the Nmax

pros Nmax: more modern design, 2 color scheme looks nice, ABS, powerful engine, very good balanced suspension - far superior to PCX and especially Forza, more leg room, feeds can be put far up, relaxed seating position

cons Nmax: cheaper looking and feeling materials as cockpit, switches, mirror, seat, smaller fuel capacity, no fiddling stop, no charger, no lockable small storage, 3/4 helmet doesn't fit below the seat

pros PCX: appears more premium in optic and quality of the material better re sale, longer on the market - more approved, better milage/gas consumption, bigger storage, better seat, smother engine with less vibration

really close race, perfect for me would be a redifinded FORZA - I am 100% with HeyNow

"On a related note, I'd love to see Honda rework the Forza for 2017 or 2018. I think that bike has tons of potential, but it needs a rethink. Everyone's got different tastes, but in my eye the design is very bloated and the lines are bland and uninspiring. I'd like to see Honda slim it down, shave off some weight, give it a sharper look and beef up the suspension. Bump up the engine's power and responsiveness and add the same "idling stop" feature from the PCX along with LED lighting. That'd get my attention."

• Like 1

I have done 70000 km on my 2012 pcx and about to get the new one ... great bike and perfect for Thailand. Combined breaking caused a few issues going down big mountains when the breaks failed but apart from that been perfect

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

I have done 70000 km on my 2012 pcx and about to get the new one ... great bike and perfect for Thailand. Combined breaking caused a few issues going down big mountains when the breaks failed but apart from that been perfect

I had just that problem down a mountain on Koh Chang this week - thought the surface was the problem or oil.....was really close as I had to release the brakes and went straight in a corner.......ok in Pattaya are no such mountains but this is a situation I don't forget and now even more as you pointed out that this is a PCX issiue

just bought the N Max in red/silver at Watcher Pattaya for 79K incl. paperwork, very nice bike and ride

orderred rack for e.g. Givi box as well original Yamaha for 2.2K but high quality , anybody can recommend a good and not ugly box which can be easily removed if not needed?

Thx

just bought the N Max in red/silver at Watcher Pattaya for 79K incl. paperwork, very nice bike and ride

orderred rack for e.g. Givi box as well original Yamaha for 2.2K but high quality , anybody can recommend a good and not ugly box which can be easily removed if not needed?

Thx

All the givi boxes remove at the press of a button, around 4/5k but top quality, boxes come with the needed base plate, I have the red and black coocase box on mine again around the 5k mark.

C

Edited by Badrabbit
  • Like 1

What i don't like about Givi boxes is the way they close. It's too much work and you never know if it's locked, always have to test it.

Givi boxes are hard to close? mine is simple, press the catch shut and lock, to open unlock and press the red button, how is this difficult? Coocase is even simpler.

I am looking for Saddle Bags - of various designs and materials for my NMAX ... I just can't handle the Pregnant Pod look ... a sleek design ruined by a beach ball stuck on the back ... not on my scooter.

I got my Shad box at the local Yamaha dealer. It was being sold as an accessory to the Yamaha Filano. Has the Yamaha logo on it.

The base plate will screw onto any rack and then you have a lockable quick-release box. I use it on my Keeway TXM200.

Works great! Good quality. I don't remember the price.

I am looking for Saddle Bags - of various designs and materials for my NMAX ... I just can't handle the Pregnant Pod look ... a sleek design ruined by a beach ball stuck on the back ... not on my scooter.

Can't say having a top box Is much of a problem, it serves a purpose, it's not a beauty contest! each to there own of course.

thanks for the replies - just checked out some boxes and tending to Shad as they open and close easier 33 liter 4.8K THB

also don't like the mirrors as they are to slim and are shaking during driving wich leads to unclear pictures - anyone have upgraded them? any advice where to get decent accessories, not the smallish toy ones - proper mirrors with good quality and views?

thanks for the replies - just checked out some boxes and tending to Shad as they open and close easier 33 liter 4.8K THB

also don't like the mirrors as they are to slim and are shaking during driving wich leads to unclear pictures - anyone have upgraded them? any advice where to get decent accessories, not the smallish toy ones - proper mirrors with good quality and views?

For the mirrors shaking i would call yamaha, or check the tire pressure first. This shouldn't happen on a new bike.

As long as you buy original honda or yamaha parts it should be good quality, mirrors fit from other models i guess. go to a shop with much stock so you can see it first.

I had just that problem down a mountain on Koh Chang this week - thought the surface was the problem or oil.....was really close as I had to release the brakes and went straight in a corner.......ok in Pattaya are no such mountains but this is a situation I don't forget and now even more as you pointed out that this is a PCX issiue

If ever in this situation best to pump the braeks and hold for 10 seconds or so then release and let cool them again. Brakes get too hot when they are used too long and overheat.

If ever in this situation best to pump the braeks and hold for 10 seconds or so then release and let cool them again. Brakes get too hot when they are used too long and overheat.

Or just change the brake fluid because it's hygroscopic oil which attracts water. If it's too hot the water becames vapourbubbles in the brakelines.

But of course in Thailand they don't need to change their brakefluid. Mai pen lai.

For the mirrors shaking i would call yamaha, or check the tire pressure first. This shouldn't happen on a new bike.

As long as you buy original honda or yamaha parts it should be good quality, mirrors fit from other models i guess. go to a shop with much stock so you can see it first.

tire pressure is 22 front and 36 rear as recommended by Yamaha (on delivery 18 and 28!) - I think is just a constructing mistake as the bike is very new, can happen, hoping will find a solution (the mirrors/glass are very small as well) but dont expect anything by the dealer.

Or just change the brake fluid because it's hygroscopic oil which attracts water. If it's too hot the water becames vapourbubbles in the brakelines.

But of course in Thailand they don't need to change their brakefluid. Mai pen lai.

It happened with brand new brake fluid too

tire pressure is 22 front and 36 rear as recommended by Yamaha (on delivery 18 and 28!) - I think is just a constructing mistake as the bike is very new, can happen, hoping will find a solution (the mirrors/glass are very small as well) but dont expect anything by the dealer.

Just look at the mirrors of other bikes and if they would fit. If nothing fits your needs then look for another handlebar. Mirrors are very important since they come from the back here.

• Like 1

What size top boxes are you guys using? I'm about to order one without seeing it in person.

I'd like the smallest size that will take a large full face helmet. Leaning towards the givi 26 liter.

Shad boxes are better looking but not available in my neck of the woods.