Jingthing

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

rogeroc, on 05 Jan 2016 - 13:26, said:snapback.png

You keep making the same mistake everyone makes in assuming everyone has the ability to exert freewill choice like you do. They don't. And you will make it worse with that sort of attitude.

I agree with your first sentence but the question is why do some people have that inability to make a sensible obvious choice. I am inclined to disagree with your second sentence, i think if it were considered much more unacceptable to be overweight then less people would be obese.

Why?

The more acceptable being overweight becomes the easier it will be to justify being overweight. If less acceptable harder to justify. Sorry i did not make my point better.

To be objective about this, and I try to be, the Japanese GOVERNMENT has had modest success with keeping obesity rates in check with a very aggressive program of intervention when people get to even moderate overweight levels. I think it's one model (among many, including Mexico's sugar tax) worth looking at for many countries. But bottom line, the crisis now in so many countries is with the children. If children become obese, it is known the vast majority will have a lifetime problem, "will power" or not. So bang for the buck, PREVENTION in children is the most important thing at a societal level.

I approve of aggressive government policies especially directed at children and parents but there are many things that need to be looked at, including the recipes used for low cost mass market food industry products. They won't change unless they're made to change. Talking about the food corporations.

http://mic.com/articles/84521/japan-has-cut-obesity-to-3-5-in-a-controversial-way-that-wouldn-t-fly-in-america#.RpokU9Cib

But even aggressive government policies are no kind of panacea.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, I would hope everyone does, rather than talk about what should be.

Whilst I found it alarmingly easy to lose weight, though quite depressing, many of my friends and family are overweight and even obese, and simply can't help themselves.

I read up about it, and listened to some medical podcasts, and discovered it is a very complex situation.

The long and short of it is low self esteem, despair, pain, sheer habit, and damaging life events can lead us to a situation where we simply lose our moral compass. It is not the simple greed, and laziness most on this forum like to portray.

I don't agree with you sure people get in those situations because of depression and other stuff. But that depression does not last a lifetime at some point they can help themselves. I got there too because of bad choices and some problems and pain but at some point you look in the mirror and want to make a change.

I agree that getting into the situation has its reasons other then greed and laziness, but getting out of them once the underlying problem is cured is laziness and the unwillingness to change. (only a real small portion of people has a valid medical problem)

We can all do with our lives and body whatever we want, nothing stops us but our own will to change.

I guess we can only see what we can see, and I accept you and many people on this board genuinely want to help. What I mean is that it does no good to simply rationalise the problem away like it is a simple mathematical equation and problem solved.

One common error is that we tend to view people in general as if they have the same insight and abilities as ourselves. If we can't accept that this is not the case, then we just end up 'chasing the pea around with our nose', always coming back to the same conclusion and same game plan.

Clearly it doesn't work. I mean one simple logic check : if it is that easy to lose weight, why haven't they done it already?

Everyone should be kind to each other and being fat is not a crime. As long as you don't bother someone or take away their rights or increase their expenses I have no problem with how heavy people are. Many Fat people however I find to be lazy and wanting special treatment and that does bother me. They need to do what ever it takes to get to a manageable weight. I think Health insurance, airline seating, all you can eat places etc etc should adjust their prices to reflect weight so those who stay within normal weight don't have to pay for those who don't. The more pounds the more expense. I mean really, why do they let someone weighting 130kg book a normal seat on a plane, they should have to fly business class or take a boat, train or drive. You pay for extra baggage weight when you fly so you should also pay for extra body weight. I am sure some people have medical reasons for being over weight but for those who just let themselves go perhaps they need to be shamed and pay more.

Why is it that every time I see a fat person they are eating or drinking something.... no self control.

Sorry if I offended anyone but I am just saying what I hear almost everyone say and think and I agree too.

i so agree! many good points made. ever spent a long distance flight next to an obese human? put up with his/her bulging body infringing on you paid for space? not to mention body odors!

there is NO reason to be fat other than lack of self control. eat less - weigh less. no ifs, no buts.

fat people impose a self - created burden on society.

Everyone should be kind to each other and being fat is not a crime. As long as you don't bother someone or take away their rights or increase their expenses I have no problem with how heavy people are. Many Fat people however I find to be lazy and wanting special treatment and that does bother me. They need to do what ever it takes to get to a manageable weight. I think Health insurance, airline seating, all you can eat places etc etc should adjust their prices to reflect weight so those who stay within normal weight don't have to pay for those who don't. The more pounds the more expense. I mean really, why do they let someone weighting 130kg book a normal seat on a plane, they should have to fly business class or take a boat, train or drive. You pay for extra baggage weight when you fly so you should also pay for extra body weight. I am sure some people have medical reasons for being over weight but for those who just let themselves go perhaps they need to be shamed and pay more.

Why is it that every time I see a fat person they are eating or drinking something.... no self control.

Sorry if I offended anyone but I am just saying what I hear almost everyone say and think and I agree too.

i so agree! many good points made. ever spent a long distance flight next to an obese human? put up with his/her bulging body infringing on you paid for space? not to mention body odors!

there is NO reason to be fat other than lack of self control. eat less - weigh less. no ifs, no buts.

Do you have a weight control issue? Have you ever? Are you a scientist or doctor? If no to all of those, why are you posting on a HEALTH FORUM which was designed to be supportive and HELPFUL in a COMPASSIONATE way to people dealing with those problems? All I hear from you is hostility and meanness. In my view, this is how this forum has been RUINED. So much of it is the same as the COMMENTS SECTION on the internet whenever obesity topics are raises. Again: THIS IS A HEALTH FORUM. What do nasty comments offer to people actually seeking helpful advise on this forum? People who are obese already know it. They already know that much of society views them in a negative way. Why would they come here for this same basically ignorant hate speech about their health problem?

Edited by Jingthing

Whilst I found it alarmingly easy to lose weight, though quite depressing, many of my friends and family are overweight and even obese, and simply can't help themselves.

I read up about it, and listened to some medical podcasts, and discovered it is a very complex situation.

The long and short of it is low self esteem, despair, pain, sheer habit, and damaging life events can lead us to a situation where we simply lose our moral compass. It is not the simple greed, and laziness most on this forum like to portray.

I don't agree with you sure people get in those situations because of depression and other stuff. But that depression does not last a lifetime at some point they can help themselves. I got there too because of bad choices and some problems and pain but at some point you look in the mirror and want to make a change.

I agree that getting into the situation has its reasons other then greed and laziness, but getting out of them once the underlying problem is cured is laziness and the unwillingness to change. (only a real small portion of people has a valid medical problem)

We can all do with our lives and body whatever we want, nothing stops us but our own will to change.

I guess we can only see what we can see, and I accept you and many people on this board genuinely want to help. What I mean is that it does no good to simply rationalise the problem away like it is a simple mathematical equation and problem solved.

One common error is that we tend to view people in general as if they have the same insight and abilities as ourselves. If we can't accept that this is not the case, then we just end up 'chasing the pea around with our nose', always coming back to the same conclusion and same game plan.

Clearly it doesn't work. I mean one simple logic check : if it is that easy to lose weight, why haven't they done it already?

Who says losing weight is easy ? I certainly don't, it means a change and a commitment without those two you will fail.

People don't have the same abilities (or resources) but we can all make changes if we really want too. It is all about priorities and choices. Nobody says it will be easy. I know for a fact that its not easy and that its far more enjoyable to eat whatever you want (faster reward ect).

I am just going against those who say its impossible, I am saying its possible for everyone who want to really make a change and will take the steps to do so.

There is this side of the story too ! On a personal level I find it very difficult to deal with the situation you portray, especially when it leads to my own discomfort and expense. I guess its human nature to get angry. What rotten luck ! I remember once being on an airplane in the same position. I tried to reclaim a bit of space simply in order to gain enough comfort space to sleep. The bloke complained to the stewardess who took his side. Such is life.

Do you have a weight control issue? Have you ever? Are you a scientist or doctor? If no to all of those, why are you posting on a HEALTH FORUM which was designed to be supportive and HELPFUL in a COMPASSIONATE way to people dealing with those problems? All I hear from you is hostility and meanness. In my view, this is how this forum has been RUINED. So much of it is the same as the COMMENTS SECTION on the internet whenever obesity topics are raises. Again: THIS IS A HEALTH FORUM. What do nasty comments offer to people actually seeking helpful advise on this forum? People who are obese already know it. They already know that much of society views them in a negative way. Why would they come here for this same basically ignorant hate speech about their health problem?

mate, with due respect, how does 'health' have anything to do with self - indulgence? do you really feel that if people accept your fat - making lifestyle, offer apologies, seem supportive... will that help you? are you seeking a wayto slim down or are you asking us to support your fat problem?

and, yes, i have addiction problems, and yes, i have been over - weight, and no, i am not any more... it is a matter of self control. nothing else.

Fat shaming is hurtful. Not helpful. Statistics show that. Obese people who experience a lot of social shaming tend to gain more weight. Being compassionate does not mean saying being obese is a healthy way to be. Welcome to my ignore list. Not interested in reading comments from members who sound exactly like the hate speech you can get everywhere on the internet. Health forum means people who recognize they have a health issue and are seeking practical medically based help with that. NOT MEAN SPIRITED MORALITY LECTURES.

I would suggest ONE fat shaming thread where people obsessed with useless morality lectures can just post their poison and SEGREGATE it from actual threads dealing with more practical/medical aspects of this for people who actually want to discuss these issues in a SUPPORTIVE COMPASSIONATE space.

People who are dealing with weight issues, do you imagine your thoughts are original, that they don't see such hateful rude insults all the time? What makes the morality lecturer obsessives think that one more simple minded insult directed at such people is going to help anyone, except if they get some kind of cathartic benefit themselves from releasing their meanness on others, like BULLIES presumably do?

I know hopeless. This forum is totally dominated by the fat shamers / simple minded morality lecturers.

Imagine if this was allowed on an Drink Too Much forum. I don't read that but I'm sure it isn't.

Edited by Jingthing

Who says losing weight is easy ? I certainly don't, it means a change and a commitment without those two you will fail.

People don't have the same abilities (or resources) but we can all make changes if we really want too. It is all about priorities and choices. Nobody says it will be easy. I know for a fact that its not easy and that its far more enjoyable to eat whatever you want (faster reward ect).

I am just going against those who say its impossible, I am saying its possible for everyone who want to really make a change and will take the steps to do so.

The secret is do not be a fat person. I can lose my 4kilo overweight in a week, then continue with my smaller clothes, feels much better, so god knows what you obese people are like, must be terrible to do anything during the day, so sit down and have another burger.

My best guess (from observations and reading) nothing scientific:

Fat Shaming won't work

Acceptance and encouragement won't work

Enforcement is most likely to work (as in Japan) and in my opinion should be adopted for obese children (even if it means taking them away from their parents if the parents are being irresponsible). I guess it would be relatively easy to to identify the children at high risk at a very young age. Take away the choice and the problem will diminish.

Fat shaming is hurtful. Not helpful. Statistics show that. Obese people who experience a lot of social shaming tend to gain more weight. Being compassionate does not mean saying being obese is a healthy way to be. Welcome to my ignore list. Not interested in reading comments from members who sound exactly like the hate speech you can get everywhere on the internet. Health forum means people who recognize they have a health issue and are seeking practical medically based help with that. NOT MEAN SPIRITED MORALITY LECTURES.

I would suggest ONE fat shaming thread where people obsessed with useless morality lectures can just post their poison and SEGREGATE it from actual threads dealing with more practical/medical aspects of this for people who actually want to discuss these issues in a SUPPORTIVE COMPASSIONATE space.

People who are dealing with weight issues, do you imagine your thoughts are original, that they don't see such hateful rude insults all the time? What makes the morality lecturer obsessives think that one more simple minded insult directed at such people is going to help anyone, except if they get some kind of cathartic benefit themselves from releasing their meanness on others, like BULLIES presumably do?

I know hopeless. This forum is totally dominated by the fat shamers.

Imagine if this was allowed on an Drink Too Much forum. I don't read that but I'm sure it isn't.

dear fellow poster.

i would be totally compassionate if you had a hare - lip, be mongoloid, schizophrenic, 'kontagan' dis-formed, or what ever else you could have been inflicted with without your own doing.

but you are not. your weight problem is something you consciously created yourself. do not seek compassion, stop eating today and don't eat again until this day next week - and write to me about how much better you feel than.

it is easy, you'll see.

The secret is do not be a fat person. I can lose my 4kilo overweight in a week, then continue with my smaller clothes, feels much better, so god knows what you obese people are like, must be terrible to do anything during the day, so sit down and have another burger.

I think your barking up the wrong tree, im probably leaner and more muscular than you. But that was not the case 5 years ago.

Just saying that its not easy to loose weight and keep it off, it requires commitment. I know that if I say goodbye to my healthy lifestyle I would get fat again.

Edited by robblok

I am not sure many of the obese kids have too much of a choice and i agree with the OP this is where the wider societal problem needs most importantly to be addressed. It is not a crime to be fat but it is a crime to be a parent letting your child get fat. A parent who does that is making their child sick on purpose !

The purist morality / free will choice model is more like an irrational belief system like blind faith in a religion. The modern scientific approach rejects that. Rationality vs. knee jerk true believer-ism.

What science? All of the studies you have shown us so far on this forum, indicate that "calories intake surplus" is the main/principal factor for obesity, and others have a minor impact, if any.

And we are not believer ... we are do-er. We make it happen. It does not come from the sky, or from any magic fruits/pills.

But I understand, you don't feel like it (Change your habits), you don't want people to push you to do it and the motivation will come from within.

BS.

You have the same mentally as a procrastinator ... waiting for the motivation to come magically, which will allow you to start doing some work.

I'm quite annoyed that someone who apparently spend so much time (read "too much time") posting on this forum, dare to claim "it's a complex issue, you don't understand."

What I understand is that if you were to convert a fraction of that "internet time" into "exercice time" and/or "healthy cooking time" you would look very different.

Yeah, I understand, it's easier to post a review on one more restaurant you visited.

But I can't say that, "it would be bullying". [ The OP can't read my response, since he self-censored any of my responses]

Every day you can make choices, good or bad, and if you make more good choices than bad, overtime you will regain control of your weight, as well as get better at making good choices.

When do you start?

Before I started taking care seriously of my health, I was buying and drinking 2-3l of Coca Cola a day. I thought I needed it, kind of give me an energy boost.

Total for 2l: (http://www.fatsecret.com/Diary.aspx?pa=fjrd&rid=2079335)

• 840 Calories
  • 208 g of Sugar

Do those numbers look good to you?

I made up my mind, stopped buying it and started drinking more water or tea, instead.

Don't tell me you can't make simple choices like this, one at a time.

If believing that I have "the power to make decision on my own" is a religion ... then hell yes, I'm a religious person.

I know hopeless. This forum is totally dominated by the fat shamers / simple minded morality lecturers.

We already had this discussion, if displaying "Compassion" is actually helping people to decide to make changes in their life?

I fail to see how it does help them in anyway, in making the tough decision.

It does not mean that bullying is the alternative, but reminding people that they have the capability to make better food/health choices, is not bullying.

Asking why they are not making those choices, is not an insult.

Counterarguing that exercices and smart food choices is a better alternative than any magic pills or any other promising but futuristic and not yet proven scientific method, is not fat shaming or simple minded morality lecturing.

Label "us" as bullies, is really convenient, it avoid asking the painful question on "why I am behaving (over eating) like this" and "What can I do to change it".

com·pas·sion·ate

kəmˈpaSHənət/
adjective
  1. feeling or showing sympathy and concern for others.
    synonyms: sympathetic, empathetic, understanding, caring, solicitous, sensitive,warm, loving; More

I just showed you how I removed 800 Calories from my diet. Was it hard, not to go the supermarket and buy those 2 bottles of Coca Cola?

People have different reasons why they can't, or think they can't change.

"Why?" is the right question, but only to them.

What is stopping them from implementing the basic steps we keep repeating?

If you want to help them, ask them Why ... multiple times, Why, Why and Why?

What is stopping them from exercising more? Time, capability, motivation ...

What is stopping them to make better food choices? Convenience, Cooking capability, time ...

The process to lose weight is easy, implementing it requires skills.

I just showed you how I removed 800 Calories from my diet. Was it hard, not to go the supermarket and buy those 2 bottles of Coca Cola?

People have different reasons why they can't, or think they can't change.

"Why?" is the right question, but only to them.

What is stopping them from implementing the basic steps we keep repeating?

If you want to help them, ask them Why ... multiple times, Why, Why and Why?

What is stopping them from exercising more? Time, capability, motivation ...

What is stopping them to make better food choices? Convenience, Cooking capability, time ...

The process to lose weight is easy, implementing it requires skills.

Obviously then it isn't a simple matter of willpower. That is my point.

Exercise perhaps is not the answer, what you eat or drink is.....Exercise just burns off stuff, to be honest it takes a lot of work to burn off stuff.

What goes in your mouth is the key....Up to you....We live in a world of flavours, designed by those who make money out of it. Of course they don't give a shit if you die from it, same as most stuff we like. Ones head decides where we want to go, many don't give a shit, croak when your god calls... I am OK with that..

Exercise is not the answer to counter a bad diet.. its impossible to out-train a bad diet. First of all you need to have a healthy diet and then when you add exercise it just goes faster. But as a stand alone cure exercise fails and just watching what goes in your mouth works far better.

Those 2 liters of cola mentioned earlier would take almost 2 hours of exercise to come off. Its far easier not to drink them.

Obviously then it isn't a simple matter of willpower. That is my point.

Maybe we have a different definition/understanding of WillPower.

For me, not researching to acquire a skill that is necessary to achieve your goal, is a demonstration of lake of willpower.

An interesting book about Self-Resistance to change:

http://www.amazon.com/Immunity-Change-Potential-Organization-Leadership/dp/1422117367

will2

wil/
noun
  1. the faculty by which a person decides on and initiates action.
    "she has an iron will"
    synonyms: determination, willpower, strength of character, resolution, resolve,resoluteness, single-mindedness, purposefulness, drive, commitment,dedication, doggedness, tenacity, tenaciousness, staying power
    "the will to succeed"
    • control deliberately exerted to do something or to restrain one's own impulses.
      noun: willpower
      "a stupendous effort of will"

Every thread that people actually post to here on this subforum is pretty much the same, regardless of what it's about. It's an endless "debate" about the morality/free will aspect of obesity.

I recently started a thread asking for people to contribute their TIPS AND TRICKS for dealing with weight control issues, losing or maintaining. So far, no responses. Kind of interesting. Of course if people do respond, you can bet the house it will transform into the same "MORALITY" debate broken record (mixed with ABUSIVE bullying insults often from people who have never dealt with these issues and no medical background) before long at all.

Edited by Jingthing

Every thread that people actually post to here on this subforum is pretty much the same, regardless of what it's about. It's an endless "debate" about the morality/free will aspect of obesity.

I recently started a thread asking for people to contribute their TIPS AND TRICKS for dealing with weight control issues, losing or maintaining. So far, no responses. Kind of interesting. Of course if people do respond, you can bet the house it will transform into the same "MORALITY" debate broken record (mixed with ABUSIVE bullying insults often from people who have never dealt with these issues and no medical background) before long at all.

Since you blacklisted me, how would you see my responses?

Come on ... buying underwear too tight as motivation tools ... it's a bit early for April's fool.

I really don't know what to think about the contribution from this joker, but I said it before, his rhetoric is dangerous to other people, and his constant self-victimization unhealthy.

Fat shaming is hurtful. Not helpful. Statistics show that.

I see lots of examples in the press where ugly fat, unhealthy slobs have been called out then done something about it and shed loads of weight. Lets not pretty it up or start calling it a disease, never saw any pics of any fatties in concentration camps, fat is the result of greed and laziness.

Edited by jacky54

Fat shaming is hurtful. Not helpful. Statistics show that.

I see lots of examples in the press where ugly fat, unhealthy slobs have been called out then done something about it and shed loads of weight. Lets not pretty it up or start calling it a disease, never saw any pics of any fatties in concentration camps, fat is the result of greed and laziness.

Show some links and show us how they're doing a year later and what percentage in keeping off this weight loss long term. Otherwise, I call out total BS.

Your concentration camp reference is disgusting. Sick sick sick. Yes of course force starvation and you will lose weight and likely die of that. That's not something worthy of discussion here on a HEALTH forum.

Edited by Jingthing

What about initiating a real discussion thread solely for people who are overweight or obese?

Or even better a self help group in your area. You could meet at McDonalds (just a joke JT).

It's not really about tips and tricks. The best advice seems to be mini fasting to me, that way you don't have to give up any particular food, least of all the ones you like. Go to bed a bit hungry, don't eat for 3 or 4 hours after waking, ideally after having done some light exercise, and resume eating with no carbohydrates until the evening.

JT, many moons ago l was involved with body building...It was very difficult.....It was changing ones whole aspect about what one thought about changing lifestyle to achieve a goal.......Most folk cannot change.....It's true....I for one cannot blame them... It's difficult...........

I am an older guy that ain't fat..Not perfect but anyone can PM me to just talk, just to point in a direction........You will have no probs with Trans and what we talk is just with me........guaranteed......smile.png .....

Change is hard and there are so many nice foods out there.. i could go for a Haagendash or Coldstone ice-cream every day (and multiple) if I knew they were not bad for me. Truth is many really nice foods are bad and if you want to stay lean you can't eat them all the time. Beer and alcohol something many love .. you have to cut out. Staying lean and healthy is not fun it takes effort. That is why many people don't change.

Change is really hard and it takes a long time before you see good progress, while those foods give instant gratification.

What about initiating a real discussion thread solely for people who are overweight or obese?

Or even better a self help group in your area. You could meet at McDonalds (just a joke JT).

It's not really about tips and tricks. The best advice seems to be mini fasting to me, that way you don't have to give up any particular food, least of all the ones you like. Go to bed a bit hungry, don't eat for 3 or 4 hours after waking, ideally after having done some light exercise, and resume eating with no carbohydrates until the evening.

I'm struggling to MAINTAIN previous weight loss as I was an obese child and face this as a lifetime thing. I don't agree with you about tips and tricks being irrelevant. In my view, losing and maintaining weight loss is about combining MANY small things. For example for years I was stupidly buying the street roasted Thai chicken not thinking that it was loaded with weird fats. So I stopped doing that, still use a lot of chicken, but only Chinese boiled style in water. I don't think I would have even been able to lose weight eating so much of that Thai street chicken. So that's just one thing. But there are many things. You need to be conscious of as many details as possible and then the sum total of those can make a bigger difference. It's never a matter of just eating less. It's so much more about exactly WHAT you eat, not only the portions, but the types and what's in those types. As I've said before eat all the broccoli you want!

Edited by Jingthing

There are no tips and tricks, eat less exercise more, how difficult is that to understand? There are however an endless torrent of excuses by the greedy and lazy with no will power and who blame others or their childhood for being over weight.