"not to lump everyone together who has a weight problem"

Jingthing

So dear Rob, you didn't read my post or the link at all?

I read it but most of us don't take anti depressant.. also much of this can be avoided if you cook your own food.

Sure there are things working against us but they are not so bad they cant be overcome.

Also I can find research stating the opposite.. remember this is just the opinion of someone not accepted fact.

Seems some people need to blame outside influences without examining themselves.

I can agree that its harder.. but still eat worse as back then and we move less as back then. So what does that mean.. that we should take control of our own food and move more.

I can arrange to come and stay with (Near) you and I'll pay my way, you feed and exercise me, monitor what you like and show how you can control my weight. I'm up for that - are you?

Does sound interesting.. but the reason why i can't do it is that this is not a 4 week thing or even two months.. loosing weight you have to plan for many months and some you don't even see progress. It does not go linear. But I can help you a bit with advice and other things. As I posted before.. don't take it personal.. I am not saying that there are not people for who its real hard.. im saying the majority can improve on their situation.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Methinks thou dost protest too much.

Yes I am quite a bit older, it doesn't stop me climbing five or six flights of stairs whilst carrying a rucksack full of groceries weighing 20 Kg or more.

My missus worries that I am overdoing it!

Maybe I am?

But it says I'm not lazy, I do exercise, I eat salad and stir fried veggies, no bread, rice spuds, milk, cheese and and, it's still nearly impossible to get slim!

It's really more about not doing. You don't need to go upstairs with 20kg packs, and you can eat what you like. It's just about eating less, and then less frequently. It doesn't involve any heroic willpower or effort, which is counterproductive in the long run as you have already found out. You can get used to feeling a bit hungry quite easily, and after a short while it probably won't bother you at all, you may even get a strange kick out of it.

Once or twice a week try skipping breakfast when you wake up, go for a walk, then see if you can last a couple of more hours. Suck on some boiled sweets or load up with tea/coffee. Then eat a couple of eggs first.

Don't avoid great tasting food, let alone spuds and bread. If you like oats so much the better. High fibre foods will lessen your appetite naturally.

Yes I am quite a bit older, it doesn't stop me climbing five or six flights of stairs whilst carrying a rucksack full of groceries weighing 20 Kg or more.

Maybe I am?

But it says I'm not lazy, I do exercise, I eat salad and stir fried veggies, no bread, rice spuds, milk, cheese and and, it's still nearly impossible to get slim!

It's really more about not doing. You don't need to go upstairs with 20kg packs, and you can eat what you like. It's just about eating less, and then less frequently. It doesn't involve any heroic willpower or effort, which is counterproductive in the long run as you have already found out. You can get used to feeling a bit hungry quite easily, and after a short while it probably won't bother you at all, you may even get a strange kick out of it.

Once or twice a week try skipping breakfast when you wake up, go for a walk, then see if you can last a couple of more hours. Suck on some boiled sweets or load up with tea/coffee. Then eat a couple of eggs first.

Don't avoid great tasting food, let alone spuds and bread. If you like oats so much the better. High fibre foods will lessen your appetite naturally.

He he, you make it sound so simple.....

When the lift broke, I managed the 20Kg pack.

I wake up about 8 a.m., drink green tea, go for a bike ride half an hour whilst it's still cool.

Have breakfast any time after 11 a.m. And it will be stir fry veggies with maybe a tiny few shreds of chicken.

The oil used is coconut oil.

Tea time more veggies as before, or salad using balsamic vinegar and coconut oil or olive oil.

Green tea as needed.

The odd mandarin or other fruit.

I eat an onion omelette from time to time.

Evenings, occasionally peanuts and a bottle of Leo.

Bed at about 11p.m.

Should I mention that my hip joints are shot so for the last year I have not done squats or similar and have lost muscle, I never had much anyway - a DNA problem?

Note, no bread, potatoes, rice, cheese, milk, cakes, sweets, sugar or processed foods, all cooked at home.

I am on holiday in Chiang Mai and going out to eat every day with friends so for a week the diet is shot and I can feel the fat pounding on because of the extra calories.

Another problem is that I told my wife I was too fat and wanted to get back to the size I was when we met 4 years ago.

Her reply was, Oh no, too thin - ugly!

It is not easy is it?

I wonder how much antibiotics is in the chicken?

That makes you fat just like the animals they give them to and that's why they give them.

Do my BP meds bugger thing up as well?

What's in the beer?

If I eat nothing on rising I can easily go to 3 or 4 p.m. before I eat anything.

However, at what ever time I start to eat, it's a heroic effort to stop and has been for as long as I can remember.

Why is that I wonder?

Edited by laislica

Maybe I am?

Actually your right about the being a bit hungry part, though I can't have it when I am working (distracts me too much) However when I was on a holiday i had less problems with feeling a bit hungry as there were plenty of distractions. (lost quite a bit of weight in that holiday).

Maybe I am?

I wake up about 8 a.m., drink green tea, go for a bike ride half an hour whilst it's still cool.

Have breakfast any time after 11 a.m. And it will be stir fry veggies with maybe a tiny few shreds of chicken.

Tea time more veggies as before, or salad using balsamic vinegar and coconut oil or olive oil.

Green tea as needed.

Bed at about 11p.m.

Should I mention that my hip joints are shot so for the last year I have not done squats or similar and have lost muscle, I never had much anyway - a DNA problem?

Note, no bread, potatoes, rice, cheese, milk, cakes, sweets, sugar or processed foods, all cooked at home.

I am on holiday in Chiang Mai and going out to eat every day with friends so for a week the diet is shot and I can feel the fat pounding on because of the extra calories.

Another problem is that I told my wife I was too fat and wanted to get back to the size I was when we met 4 years ago.

It is not easy is it?

That makes you fat just like the animals they give them to and that's why they give them.

What's in the beer?

If I eat nothing on rising I can easily go to 3 or 4 p.m. before I eat anything.

However, at what ever time I start to eat, it's a heroic effort to stop and has been for as long as I can remember.

Why is that I wonder?

Its true that some people have less muscle as others but in general those who gain muscle easy (me) gain fat easy too.. and those who don't gain muscle easy don't gain fat easy. You seem to have worst of both worlds.

Yes not being able to do squat sucks (but if your body cant do it you just cant) as most of the muscles are in the legs.

I also have found it hard to keep weight off when eating out.. just go for as much salads and meats as you can but less carbs and sugars (im sure you do that already)

And if your wife said she wanted it it would have been good.. but in the end its your body and you must do with it what you want (being fat or lean or whatever.. should never be to please others but only for yourself)

Just finished a two zone holiday, with friends each time and ate and drank more than was good for me but it had to be done to be sociable.

What else can you do?

It was also great fun.

Now back home for a few days and will get back to veggies and salads.

Then guess what. Off for another holiday with friends.

This time in a part of Thailand that we have not visited before so I guess we will be trying Thai food and flavours as is found across the river from Lao. Fun fun and to hell with the %fat he he!

In Chiang Mai we did stair climbing and more walking than you can imagine so although my weight is about the same as at the start, my waist size is a bit smaller, so not bad news at all.

I just brought the exercise plate downstairs again so the chances are that it will actually get used.....

We'll see lol

We need to be happy in our own skin, not obsessed, relaxed but on guard with goals to be maintained in the long term.

What struck me about this thread is how some folks think that there is a blame to be placed on the unfortunate fat person, that it is their fault.

Of course, in a way it is, they allowed the lousy diet to wreck their hormones and become addicted. But hey, once addicted.......

If I saw someone with a problem I'd like to help them with it.

I have a severely long term alcoholic friend and I do my best to encourage him to regain control.

I could just tell him that he is stupid and he brought it on himself and all he needs to do is simply stop drinking.....

But hey he is the way he is and boy he needs help.

He does not need anyone reminding him of his problem, he is all too aware of that. Good news is that he now has acknowledged that he is an alcoholic, can talk about it without shame and is finally starting to try to take control.

It may be a hard road but I will be there for him.

I hope someone will be there for me and the OP in our struggle with our addiction......

I KNOW TOO WELL I AM PART OF THE PROBLEM!

I am one of the unlucky ones who is unable to take 100% control.

I am pleased that so many on this thread are able to be slim, with apparently little or no effort. Good luck to you!

Maybe you could stop blaming and bashing people like me and give us tips, encouragement, empathy and support.

If you cannot do this, perhaps keep the bashing to yourselves - cos it really don't help!

Maybe I am?

Green tea as needed.

Bed at about 11p.m.

It is not easy is it?

What's in the beer?

Why is that I wonder?

Its true that some people have less muscle as others but in general those who gain muscle easy (me) gain fat easy too.. and those who don't gain muscle easy don't gain fat easy. You seem to have worst of both worlds.

spot on there rob,

Yes not being able to do squat sucks (but if your body cant do it you just cant) as most of the muscles are in the legs.

I also have found it hard to keep weight off when eating out.. just go for as much salads and meats as you can but less carbs and sugars (im sure you do that already)

INDEED I DO.

And if your wife said she wanted it it would have been good.. but in the end its your body and you must do with it what you want (being fat or lean or whatever.. should never be to please others but only for yourself)

Ah, now as you know I am almost twice you age and been through two long term relationships and in this "last, she is the one" relationship, I am finally ready to make it work.

I reflected to my wife on how wonderful it would have been if we had met 10 or 20 years earlier, what bliss, but I wasn't ready for her yet.

I didn't know what to do to compromise so we both get the best out of our lives together and at the same time satisfying our own needs.

Well the hard lessons of life have taught me well enough to be able to acknowledge that in every life problem - I am part of that problem.

Therefore, whilst I think I understand what you are trying to say, I do not accept that I should only " only please myself ".

We are two in one, the left and the right, the good and the bad.

If I would do something that was in my interest but harmed her any way - that would be wrong - as I have learned.

The same if she would take care of herself over me!

I said that wrong but I think you know what I mean.

I have no idea about your relationships so I cannot comment more, except that I took me failed relationships, something like an apprenticeship, to become a skilled artisan LOL

It's good to hear that you can gain muscle, wish I could but hey, at 74, ....... I met a young lady the other day, she was 23, thought i was 50.... And it happens all the time that folk are amazed that I am such an old fart!

All good ?

Green tea as needed.

Bed at about 11p.m.

It is not easy is it?

What's in the beer?

Why is that I wonder?

spot on there rob,

INDEED I DO.

Ah, now as you know I am almost twice you age and been through two long term relationships and in this "last, she is the one" relationship, I am finally ready to make it work.

I reflected to my wife on how wonderful it would have been if we had met 10 or 20 years earlier, what bliss, but I wasn't ready for her yet.

I didn't know what to do to compromise so we both get the best out of our lives together and at the same time satisfying our own needs.

Well the hard lessons of life have taught me well enough to be able to acknowledge that in every life problem - I am part of that problem.

Therefore, whilst I think I understand what you are trying to say, I do not accept that I should only " only please myself ".

If I would do something that was in my interest but harmed her any way - that would be wrong - as I have learned.

I have no idea about your relationships so I cannot comment more, except that I took me failed relationships, something like an apprenticeship, to become a skilled artisan LOL

It's good to hear that you can gain muscle, wish I could but hey, at 74, ....... I met a young lady the other day, she was 23, thought i was 50.... And it happens all the time that folk are amazed that I am such an old fart!

All good ?

I understand what you are saying, my point is that motivation should come from yourself. When you do something for someone else it often fails. I would of course do things for a wife / gf but what I do with my body is my decision. I would not force a GF to do things with her body that she would not like. Anyway that is my view you got an other view and as its your life and relation then who am I to say what you can and cant do.

We all learn from failed relations (or we should at least).

I have seen pictures of older bodybuilders so everything is possible. You can always improve on what you have (or at least slow the degradation) It all depends on your starting point.. if your already at your max from weightlifting before then you cant improve just slow the degradation.. if you are newbie then even at advanced age you can gain some muscle. But if like you your body does not allow it (hip problem) it will be quite hard. Because most muscle is in the legs (and back)

Green tea as needed.

Bed at about 11p.m.

It is not easy is it?

What's in the beer?

Why is that I wonder?

spot on there rob,

INDEED I DO.

All good ?

I understand what you are saying, my point is that motivation should come from yourself. When you do something for someone else it often fails. I would of course do things for a wife / gf but what I do with my body is my decision. I would not force a GF to do things with her body that she would not like. Anyway that is my view you got an other view and as its your life and relation then who am I to say what you can and cant do.

We all learn from failed relations (or we should at least).

I have seen pictures of older bodybuilders so everything is possible. You can always improve on what you have (or at least slow the degradation) It all depends on your starting point.. if your already at your max from weightlifting before then you cant improve just slow the degradation.. if you are newbie then even at advanced age you can gain some muscle. But if like you your body does not allow it (hip problem) it will be quite hard. Because most muscle is in the legs (and back)

Rob, you just hit the nail on the head!

Motivation SHOULD come from yourself.

But it doesn't, what do you do then?

That's the whole point, when something is out of control, what to do?

About your first paragraph.

For me it is not about forcing someone else to do things they don't like.

It's about me doing things and excluding them.

As mentioned, it's a partnership.

On the topic of motivation, sometime to get things started, you got to do without it.

My experience about motivation, I started running and I did not like it at the beginning, did not see the point to run from point A to point B, without kicking a ball. The "inner" motivation came after.

And as I wrote in a different post, do you need motivation to brush your teeth in the morning? No, you just do it.

For the rest, I'm not sure what you exactly mean.

Are you saying your commitment to losing weight is in conflict with your other social obligation and your partner relationship?

Having to go with friends and being respectful of the wife by not excluding her from your activities?

Then you should read this:

http://www.amazon.com/Immunity-Change-Potential-Organization-Leadership/dp/1422117367

It's talk about competing commitments and how it prevents us from changing.

Maybe finding someone to help you clearly identify those competing commitments would help?

Not over-eating with friends does not mean you are anti-social.

Taking take to exercice or change your diet, does not mean you are neglecting your partnership.

Be creative, there are plenty of solutions out there for you to find and try.

As for me, I just found another person to inspire me:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_Buder

I'm not a strong swimmer and don't particularly like cycling, but if she can still do it in her 80, I sure should be able to do it in my 40 ...

@laislica,

I understand what you mean about partnership.. my point was more that its best if motivation comes from one self, about things concerning the body I have always been selfish.. doing what i wanted with my body and letting my partner do what she wanted. But that does not mean its the only way.

Motivation.. hard if you don't have it.. i sometimes get motivation from competition (usually with myself that is why i have goals as i told you in PM). My rowing machine can be hooked up to a laptop and / or big tv then I can row against myself (with a rower representing myself in a previous row) or a fictive one or even connect online to a real person (last thing I did not do as that would mean having to really suit my program to someone else). But my point is that things like new fitness toys.. a heart-rate monitor.. a garmin forerunner (i dont use it but some who do say it helps motivation). to keep better track of what your doing and compete a bit with yourself.

About the weights and muscle.. it is said that everyone especially beginners can gain muscle.. the first year of lifting is an amazing year... progress like never again. So even older lifters can gain muscle... its all going down after that and at some point you hit your max (I have) Then you need other motivation. But even someone like you could build a bit of muscle.. but then you should go to a gym as you cant squat you need a machine to help you.

But I am not always motivated to exercise.. there are quite some days i don't want too but like singa-traz says.. you don't need motivation for brushing your teeth (tropo also said that) and you just do it. I think that is a major difference between us (singa-traz, tropo, me) and others we do stuff even if we don't always feel like it. Because above everything else consistency wins out. You don't need to be extreme in diet or exercise.. but if your consistent you will win (turtle and hare).

You could buy a book, it might help. But seriously even us "dedicated / obsessed / crazy" people mess up and have periods we drop a bit.. thing is getting back up and doing the right thing again. I believe motivation for exercise can be learned, i just make it a rule to almost never skip sessions because if I skip one.. its so much easier to skip the next.. but if i do it all the time it becomes a routine.

On the topic of motivation, sometime to get things started, you got to do without it.

My experience about motivation, I started running and I did not like it at the beginning, did not see the point to run from point A to point B, without kicking a ball. The "inner" motivation came after.

And as I wrote in a different post, do you need motivation to brush your teeth in the morning? No, you just do it.

For the rest, I'm not sure what you exactly mean.

Are you saying your commitment to losing weight is in conflict with your other social obligation and your partner relationship?

Having to go with friends and being respectful of the wife by not excluding her from your activities?

Then you should read this:

http://www.amazon.com/Immunity-Change-Potential-Organization-Leadership/dp/1422117367

It's talk about competing commitments and how it prevents us from changing.

Maybe finding someone to help you clearly identify those competing commitments would help?

Not over-eating with friends does not mean you are anti-social.

Taking take to exercice or change your diet, does not mean you are neglecting your partnership.

Be creative, there are plenty of solutions out there for you to find and try.

As for me, I just found another person to inspire me:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_Buder

I'm not a strong swimmer and don't particularly like cycling, but if she can still do it in her 80, I sure should be able to do it in my 40 ...

Thanks, great tips and I will read them.

As I mentiuoned before, it's been a life long struggle and has been for all the members of my family.

It feels as is my body has a set point, knows about my %fat and then does all it can to gradually increase it!

If so, I would probably survived better than others who had bodies that were not able to extract every gram of energy from their food?

Of course, such a body is a curse in this modern age.....

Having sore hips from years of keep fit jogging etc and Dupuytren’s contracture don't help either.

Thanks again your post reflects exactly what I was talking about, no bashing, just good solid advice.

@laislica,

I understand what you mean about partnership.. my point was more that its best if motivation comes from one self, about things concerning the body I have always been selfish.. doing what i wanted with my body and letting my partner do what she wanted. But that does not mean its the only way.

Motivation.. hard if you don't have it.. i sometimes get motivation from competition (usually with myself that is why i have goals as i told you in PM). My rowing machine can be hooked up to a laptop and / or big tv then I can row against myself (with a rower representing myself in a previous row) or a fictive one or even connect online to a real person (last thing I did not do as that would mean having to really suit my program to someone else). But my point is that things like new fitness toys.. a heart-rate monitor.. a garmin forerunner (i dont use it but some who do say it helps motivation). to keep better track of what your doing and compete a bit with yourself.

About the weights and muscle.. it is said that everyone especially beginners can gain muscle.. the first year of lifting is an amazing year... progress like never again. So even older lifters can gain muscle... its all going down after that and at some point you hit your max (I have) Then you need other motivation. But even someone like you could build a bit of muscle.. but then you should go to a gym as you cant squat you need a machine to help you.

But I am not always motivated to exercise.. there are quite some days i don't want too but like singa-traz says.. you don't need motivation for brushing your teeth (tropo also said that) and you just do it. I think that is a major difference between us (singa-traz, tropo, me) and others we do stuff even if we don't always feel like it. Because above everything else consistency wins out. You don't need to be extreme in diet or exercise.. but if your consistent you will win (turtle and hare).

You could buy a book, it might help. But seriously even us "dedicated / obsessed / crazy" people mess up and have periods we drop a bit.. thing is getting back up and doing the right thing again. I believe motivation for exercise can be learned, i just make it a rule to almost never skip sessions because if I skip one.. its so much easier to skip the next.. but if i do it all the time it becomes a routine.

Thanks Rob, another good non bashing post with great edeas gaind from you own experience.

Thanks for your support.

• 1 month later...

Not sure how well this article fits on this thread, but the article is worth sharing and didn't want to start a new thread just to do that:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/02/12/the-crippling-thing-about-growing-up-poor-that-stays-with-you-forever/

In my view, there are three topics of interest in the article.

First, the assertion that growing up poor impacts relationship to food for life.

Poverty has a way of rearing its ugly head, slipping into the cracks in people's lives when they're young and then re-emerging later in life. Sometimes it happens in ways that are easily observable—what poor babies are fed, for instance, has been shown to alter what they crave as adults, creating life-long affinities for foods that might be better left uneaten. But sometimes the influences are hidden, and all the more insidious as a result.

Secondly, the discussion of the negative impact of chronic "dieting" --

As the years go by, we tend to lose this ability to some extent, forcing us to rely on other cues—like memory. Certain people, however, lose the ability faster and more broadly than others. A perfect example are people Mann calls "chronic dieters," who are constantly restraining what they eat. By depriving themselves of calories, they end up triggering biological changes in their bodies that actually make it harder for them to resist food. And this, she says, is likely what's happening with those born into lower socioeconomic statuses.

Third, the attempt in the article to link those two things.

I KNOW TOO WELL I AM PART OF THE PROBLEM!

That's just it. You're not part of the problem, you're all of the problem. You.

Take some personal responsibility and limit the amount of calories you intake and do some exercise. Not for one day, week or month. Forever.

You will lose weight. It's not complicated.

Thanks for that gem of advice - it is so easy now you have helped me so much!

Not

BTW, how goes it with your problems?

I will try not to be specific, but you know the ones I mean?

The answer is easy because:-

you're all of the problem. You.

Take some personal responsibility and limit the cause of your problems.

Not for one day, week or month.

Forever.....

I trust this helps you resolve your problems.

Oh, and good luck with them.

Next!

However, if you would like to discuss your problems - feel free - there will be plenty of advice on TVF.

Where would you like to start?

Well, how about we start with .....

No, after you, you start.

• 1 month later...

Some more science!
I know.

Thrilling!

How fat cells work and why it’s impossible to “burn” them off
To a certain extent, our weight is related to both the number and the size of our fat cells: When we gain weight, we store the extra lipids we don’t use in our fat cells, which make them grow in size. As we lose it, we shrink these cells, but never disappear. This means that two people with similar body shapes could have drastically different numbers of fat cells, depending on how many lipids are stored in those cells.
In light of Spalding’s team’s discovery, this means that it can be difficult to keep weight off once we’ve lost it. “If you can’t get rid of these cells, you’re just going to have these cells sitting there, constantly saying they want to be bigger,” she said.

http://qz.com/654647/everything-you-need-to-know-about-fat-cells/

I basically knew this already.

If you've ever been obese, especially if you were OBESE when a child or young (then you know you're stuck for life with an abnormally number of fat cells) you've got a LIFETIME STRUGGLE on your hands. When you lose weight, and most obese people do multiple times, you have not permanently beat it. You can't ever do so while still alive. Whatever your weight currently, you've got a chronic condition. I compare it to an alcoholic who has stopped drinking but in same ways harder, because we all have to eat.

Will power is very important and it's needed for weight control and most things in life. But with weight control, your stubborn BODY (the fat cells) has a WILL POWER of their own.

Don't let anyone who doesn't have this problem say this is EASY. It might be EASY for them because of the biological situation in THEIR body. Great for them but arrogant to assume it's the same for others with real struggles.

Edited by Jingthing

Nice one, thanks.

Strangely enough, I had read before that empty fat cells are unhappy and multiply.

That say your "cell count" was 100 at the start of a diet, by the end the "count may have increased many times the starting value.

500 to, 1,000 might be the new count. (The numbers are arbitary, it's the change that is important.)

All empty and ready to grab any extra calories you may eat.

That in addition, the body had a "set point" of the "cell count" and it was at a point in time about 18 months before.

That the "cell count" is set to steadily increase a little over time.

That after menopause, women have more fat cells because they need extra fat to store the less hormones that are able to make.

Whatever the scientific truth, it would suggest that the body is programmed never to starve!

I agree with you - keeping slim is never easy for the average body.

There will always be a few for whom it is easy, in former days, they would probably have starved?????

Removing then from the gene pool???

This year in Thailand we have been on many trips to visit different parts and the partying had been strong.

I gained a huge amount of belly fat, 4-6 inches! nothing would fit and more clothes had to be purchased.

We had a bloody good time though and I wouldn't have missed it for anything!!!

Since then and for the last almost 2 months, I have cut out alcohol, eat mostly veggies, lightly stir fried and a little chicken and some fruit.

No bread, rice, potatoes etc. and the oil used is coconut oil.

The fat is finally reducing but my wife was using proprietary sauces to make the food tasty and guess what.

MSG, Sugar and all the things I was trying to avoid.

I have asked for nothing more than a little salt in my veggies and will see if that makes a difference.

Fingers crossed.

A great thread, cheers

• 4 weeks later...

@JT,

There are only a few ways to kill of fat cells.. liposuction is one. I have read about others too but I am not that convinced of it.

One thing that does help is HRT when you get older (injecting testosterone under doctors supervision). Its proven that testostorone helps against belly fat. You can also try to increase it naturally with lifting weights.

@laislica

Its hard to eat healthy and stick with it, but I have noticed that once you start after a week the cravings slowly go away especially if you get all the things you need from your diet. But its an uphill struggle. I too got periods that I gain a bit of weight 1-3 kg, then i notice it and clean my diet up again.

@JT,

There are only a few ways to kill of fat cells.. liposuction is one. I have read about others too but I am not that convinced of it.

One thing that does help is HRT when you get older (injecting testosterone under doctors supervision). Its proven that testostorone helps against belly fat. You can also try to increase it naturally with lifting weights.

@laislica

Its hard to eat healthy and stick with it, but I have noticed that once you start after a week the cravings slowly go away especially if you get all the things you need from your diet. But its an uphill struggle. I too got periods that I gain a bit of weight 1-3 kg, then i notice it and clean my diet up again.

Thanks Rob but add another 20 or so years and see how it goes then 555

I too got periods that I gain a bit of weight 1-3 kg, then i notice it and clean my diet up again.

This is entirely normal. Everyone eats a bit too much now and again. Whether it is due to the holidays, a vacation, or even stress, there are times when people are going to increase their caloric intake. But the important thing is that you take take appropriate action and accept responsibility. You don't compound the problem by just giving up and looking for excuses.

If others would do the same, society wouldn't have so many of the health related issues it's facing today.

Eat less.

Exercise more.

Be responsible for your actions.

Problem solved.

@JT,

@laislica

Thanks Rob but add another 20 or so years and see how it goes then 555

I know.. i know .. still a lot of time to go.. but the point I am making is that when i eat crap.. i want loads of carbs sugars and other bad things.. then after going back to salads and veggies and healthy food it takes a week to adjust and I like them again. Then my cravings are gone and I can live with a lower caloric intake. I assume that its similar for most people that there is a bit of adjustment period.

Have you ever considered HRT ? even with patches it can be done.

I too got periods that I gain a bit of weight 1-3 kg, then i notice it and clean my diet up again.

This is entirely normal. Everyone eats a bit too much now and again. Whether it is due to the holidays, a vacation, or even stress, there are times when people are going to increase their caloric intake. But the important thing is that you take take appropriate action and accept responsibility. You don't compound the problem by just giving up and looking for excuses.

If others would do the same, society wouldn't have so many of the health related issues it's facing today.

Eat less.

Exercise more.

Be responsible for your actions.

Problem solved.

I have been fat, and I never want that again.. that is what keeps my guard up. But its so easy to just go for all the nice foods (bad) in periods of stress. In general, I eat healthy and exercise a lot and am in great shape however I do know that how hard it is to stay in shape varies per person. There are many things that make it harder for some people as for others.

I believe that people can be overweight a bit outside of their control. Obese.. that is an other story nobody has to be obese (health issues excluded).

Rob, I eat low carb and very healthy with mostly veggies and many salads.

Almost nothing processed.

I do less exercise than I would like due to worn out joints....

I do agree, the spirit's willing but the body is week 555

post-155756-0-56458200-1462568200_thumb.

If only - well I did at that age....

@flaislica,

Have you thought about swimming ? not much stress on the joint. Only problem is to find a pool. We had one in the village but the maintenance was not done and people did not like to pay for it so it got neglected and is beyond repair. Not that I would do much swimming but i loved going in the water once in a while and enjoy the sun. I am a water person.

Its amazing how the body can change at times, hunger wise. I have yet to find the secret but yesterday I only had one meal (5 egss / 3 slices of bacon and some cheese no bread) and 2 shakes just proteins with water. I was not hungry and I did a good workout. Might have been too much because after that I became real tired. Normally I eat more of course but I gained a bit and want to get rid of it. But the strange thing is yesterday I was not hungry at all.

Today will eat more but I wish I could find out why sometimes I require a lot less food and get a lot less cravings as other days. I must say in general just eating veggies.. salads eggs chicken ect helps a lot against hunger. Once i start eating ice-cream and pizza I am hungry all day and eat double. I love my icecream but eat it rarely. But swensons. haagendaz, coldstone are my Kryptonite.

Last month i had a lot of work.. some stress and other problems so i skipped working out for 2 weeks and ate a lot more. The problem is now that i start working out again I am sore all over the body. But I know after a few weeks I won't get sore anymore unless I go to extremes. But right now I feel like an old guy. But I am happy again.

Ol' Trans eats once a day now, been doing it for about 5 years...Strangely I don't get any hunger pains, nothing..I drink coffee, lot's of it in the morning, then have a few beers during the day. Evening l eat what l want, farang stuff with bread...

I lost a lot of weight, which is great, and l have no problem doing weights at the gym where l go twice a week. Can't do much cos of my age and the heat, but for someone who perhaps should be in a box, am OK..Best thing is, I feel great.....thumbsup.gif

In the UK the populous at their healthiest was during WW2, everything was rationed, you could not stuff yourself with food....smile.png

Anyone can shape up if they have the will, that is if you don't have the dreaded thyroid problem...

The quality of the food was also much better then, not so chem pesticides and fertilisers etc. The soil was mostly organic, antibiotics not invented yet nor growth hormones etc.

Not to mention the orange juice we were dosed with and cod liver oil and malt.....

Overworked soil with no boron....

At 37 (just half my age 555) I was jogging and working out but my genes would never allow me a muscular frame.

With an extended period of extended working out, I could grow a little muscle but ease off the work out and the muscle was gone fast.

Low muscle, low metabolism and harder to burn calories.

Viscious circle.

Rob, The bacon here in Spain is better than Thailand but nothing like as good as Danish or English, but,

If I have three eggs and 70 g of bacon and mushrooms to soak up the fat, I also feel full for longer.

The problem is that once I start eating, it's hard to stop.....

I can go all day without food, then at teatime eat something, anything.

That kicks in my "need"to eat.

I have a wife that brings me delicious fruit, and other food - what am I to do when faces with a plate of chips 555

Current morning weight is 76.5 Kg but BP is high again and meds are needed.

I know that if I can reduce the fat by 2 Kg, BP will normalise and that is my goal.

I take Lopress to help the Prostate and that also reduces BP, so lose a little fat and Lopress alone is all I need

Growing old is a bitch!

Head full of knowledge I wish I had 50+ years ago 555

How to put old heads on young shoulders.....

Shaming people in general seems pretty bad. Trump is an expert in that. Why aren't you rich? Shaming people over biological things seems pathetic. You could say that people should be abstaining from sex especially when they are paying for it or doing it with one-night-stands. If you can't, by the shamers standards, you are weak. And smokers and drinkers are weak. All these things hurt your body.

If it's a matter of willpower, you have to say the most of the developed world is overweight due to a lack of willpower too. Have we all changed that much? Look at the stats about the number of people overweight and obese these days. Is it really willpower? Food is as much a drug as anything and drugs affect people differently. Why do diabetics need insulin when all they have to do is just eat right? It's a fact, a fact, that insulin is not needed if diabetics eat a low carb diet for life. I guess if you take insulin , you've got no willpower. If you take aspirin, you really should stop because most of us don't get headaches because we live right. If you get headaches you are weak and causing them yourself. And sunscreen is a joke too. If you burn in the sun, it's because you don't take care of your skin properly. You are to blame, always, by shamers standards. Stop being a weak person and be as healthy as me.

Of course, I agree with Jingthing than nothing is simple. Just seems if you want to stretch the argument, it can really go places.

Shaming people in general seems pretty bad. Trump is an expert in that. Why aren't you rich? Shaming people over biological things seems pathetic. You could say that people should be abstaining from sex especially when they are paying for it or doing it with one-night-stands. If you can't, by the shamers standards, you are weak. And smokers and drinkers are weak. All these things hurt your body.

If it's a matter of willpower, you have to say the most of the developed world is overweight due to a lack of willpower too. Have we all changed that much? Look at the stats about the number of people overweight and obese these days. Is it really willpower? Food is as much a drug as anything and drugs affect people differently. Why do diabetics need insulin when all they have to do is just eat right? It's a fact, a fact, that insulin is not needed if diabetics eat a low carb diet for life. I guess if you take insulin , you've got no willpower. If you take aspirin, you really should stop because most of us don't get headaches because we live right. If you get headaches you are weak and causing them yourself. And sunscreen is a joke too. If you burn in the sun, it's because you don't take care of your skin properly. You are to blame, always, by shamers standards. Stop being a weak person and be as healthy as me.

Of course, I agree with Jingthing than nothing is simple. Just seems if you want to stretch the argument, it can really go places.

We have not changed that much, its more that bad food is available everywhere. When I was younger it was a lot harder to get all the junk food that we get now (and I am not that old but I am from the Netherlands and lived in the countryside). When I was young my parents made sure I did not drink coca cola all the time but water and tea. Everything was with moderation.. now.. I see a lot less moderation.

Shaming can help, it has helped my brother when i teased him with his weight. I would not do so with others that I don't know and that my parents told me I was getting fat was good too. I rather hear that I am going the wrong way then have nobody say a word about it and end up obese.

But in the end however you look at it if your obese you did it to yourself.. i can make an argument for overweight.. that some people are more at risk than others. But obese.. really without health issues its 100% diet and willpower. People can overeat a bit.. but not to those levels.

One could also make an argument that because there is no fat shaming and its so accepted that people just let go because there are so many others who look just the same. Its human to conform to the norm.

Personally I don't fat shame strangers.. in my own family.. sure but more as a wake up call and to help. Not to destroy someone's self esteem. But in my family it has worked.. it got me back lean. My dad lost loads of weight too and brother made sure he did not get any heavier even lost a bit. I think not mentioning it and acting like there is no problem is just as bad as fat shaming.

But maybe I have the wrong idea of what people mean with fat shaming.. i mean joking about it at times and telling them how bad it can be for health and what to do about it. That is something that can be done with family.. not total strangers. I would never mentally try to hurt my family.. so it would be done in a more positive way. Also with family you know what the basis of the problem is (overeating or real health issue)

We have not changed that much, its more that bad food is available everywhere. When I was younger it was a lot harder to get all the junk food that we get now (and I am not that old but I am from the Netherlands and lived in the countryside). When I was young my parents made sure I did not drink coca cola all the time but water and tea. Everything was with moderation.. now.. I see a lot less moderation.

Shaming can help, it has helped my brother when i teased him with his weight. I would not do so with others that I don't know and that my parents told me I was getting fat was good too. I rather hear that I am going the wrong way then have nobody say a word about it and end up obese.

But in the end however you look at it if your obese you did it to yourself.. i can make an argument for overweight.. that some people are more at risk than others. But obese.. really without health issues its 100% diet and willpower. People can overeat a bit.. but not to those levels.

One could also make an argument that because there is no fat shaming and its so accepted that people just let go because there are so many others who look just the same. Its human to conform to the norm.

Personally I don't fat shame strangers.. in my own family.. sure but more as a wake up call and to help. Not to destroy someone's self esteem. But in my family it has worked.. it got me back lean. My dad lost loads of weight too and brother made sure he did not get any heavier even lost a bit. I think not mentioning it and acting like there is no problem is just as bad as fat shaming.

But maybe I have the wrong idea of what people mean with fat shaming.. i mean joking about it at times and telling them how bad it can be for health and what to do about it. That is something that can be done with family.. not total strangers. I would never mentally try to hurt my family.. so it would be done in a more positive way. Also with family you know what the basis of the problem is (overeating or real health issue)

I was born at the beginning of 1942, antibiotics had not been invented, neither had much of today's technology, GMO and special pesticides etc.

Once these technologies became available food production was changed forever.

BTW, the world's population was then only about 2 Billion so the land was not stressed as much as it is today.

We now need more than 3 times the quantity of food to feed 3 Billion compared to when I was born.

Nutriments in the soils are depleted and the qualtiy of food direct from the growers is not so high as it was.

Then the raw food is processed into something that is as addictive as possible, fibre is removed along with other vital stuff just to increase the shelf life.

The world has allowed itself to "need" instant gratification at all times.

We have become total addicts and lazy ones at that.

To food, booze, drugs, iPhones, iGames, Xbox, TV, anything that can provide instant satisfaction.

Everything has been engineered fo convenience and to make life as easy as possible.

Social networks have taken over the need to actually speak to anyone, just send a text!

So I think that "we"have changed massively over just the last 70 or so years.

My father was born in 1908 and he could talk about the many changes he had observed by the time he was only 20!

Change has been accelerating exponentially and continues to do so.

We all like things to make life "easier" and thus, over time we become lazier.

Back in my day, Mum's stayed at home to take care of the family.

The second world was changed that.

Mum's now work and many are too tired after a days work to take on all the work of shopping and preparing good wholesome meals.

Since instant dinners can be purchased, why not?

So it goes on.

Mum's also become overweight due to many factors, not the least of which is stress and tiredness.

Fat Mum's tend to produce children with a trend towards being fat.

Those children grow up to be obese as you both mentioned.

Their children are fatter and so it goes on. The way their genes are expressed changes too.

If only it was simply willpower that was needed - but IMO it is the whole environment that has to change.

I Googled for "what percentage of people are obese".

and this was the first result:-

More than one-third (35.7 percent) of adults are considered to be obese.

More than 1 in 20 (6.3 percent) have extreme obesity.

Almost 3 in 4 men (74 percent) are considered to be overweight or obese.

The prevalence of obesity is similar for both men and women (about 36 percent)

So how does willpower have anything to do with ones weight?

EDIT

I added just a couple of interesting Obesity links

http://stateofobesity.org/obesity-rates-trends-overview/

http://voxeu.org/article/100-years-us-obesity

Edited by laislica

Laislica,

Willpower has something to do with it in healthy adults (not ) sick people. I always thought that obese was 20 or more kg overweight. But I just found out that I am obese too. My BMI is too high over 29. So I would be counted with those obese even though i got visible abs. So I guess there might be a definition problem.

I have always gone against BMI (and so do many others now) but seems that obese is based on BMI. Then I was wrong I was talking about people who are more as 20 kg too heavy.

It still means that two thirds are not obese.. and willpower comes into play when you eat. Sure I can understand people being overweight.. that is normal now. But 20 kg or more.. at that point i really start to blame the person not the environment.

I read something that our grandfathers had a lot higher testosterone as we did. So we did change a bit .. but mainly the environment.

I am not your age, but I seen changes too. When i was 12-16 we biked to school 20km a day. Now many kids consider that too far. When I was younger it was rare to go and eat at a snack bar and stuff like that. Now kids go there a lot.

Maybe I should not have written willpower, but its willpower plus education (plus some money as cheap foods are usually bad). Point is that if your getting fatter and fatter at some point the blame can't be just the environment. Otherwise 100% would be obese. Some people just abuse foods a lot more as others. When your 20 kg or more too heavy your certainly doing something wrong yourself.

Up to 20 kg.. genetics, environment ect. People should take charge of themselves at some point. Weight does not magically appear especially not with young people. Your age.. good excuse, but that is not really what I am talking about.