Trees have killed my Airnet connection. What options do I have?

The Deerhunter

We have no telephone wires in our road in the North East of Chonburi province so we have been using AIS Airnet internet broadband for two years very happily. It is a mast to mast, line-of sight service but the recent rains have caused a growing spurt in a rubber plantation between us and the local Airnet mast. It is a big plantation and we don't own it and our 12 metre mast just does not give us a connection any more. The serviceman has recommended a 20 -25 metre tower for the aerial as the best solution and we are on the verge of proceeding to have one constructed. Materials & labour will cost 10,000 to 15,000 baht and additionally involve a crane for erecting it, and of course long term maintenance and safety concerns. In the meantime we use mobile phone data via a mobile phone hotspot for our broadband. As the area is not wonderful for cell phone coverage either, the phone-based data signal is weak and the broadband is really REALLY slow. We are situated off the Pattaya - Korat Highway 331 in the vicinity of Na Roek and Ko Chan. Before we leap into the construction of this 20-plus metre tower solution what other options do we have that we should look at? I am thinking that other Internet service providers may have a mast on a high point with a clearer line of sight, Also wondering about satellite coverage and the possibility of adding a repeater to another local (family relative) user's system who DOES have a clear line of sight with no tall trees intervening. I cannot live here without broadband. I am not particularly DIY techo so I need names of companies who may have ready solutions of any of the above, or other cost effective long term solutions. Thanks in advance for any help.

Forget satellite!

It's worth talking to TOT about their WiNet service, similar to AirNet but may be on a different tower.

Otherwise how far away is the relative? A point to point repeater may do the trick.

Another alternative is to investigate creating your own point-to-point link with a nearby neighbor who can get wired Internet.

In this scenario, you find a willing neighbor

within line-of-sight range of your current antenna pole

preferably has a tall building

can subscribe to Fiber Optic, ADSL or Cable Internet

willing to allow you to mount a private point-to-point radio link directed to your house

Yes, yes, this is more of a DYI project, but I'm sure if you searched hard enough you could find someone willing to sell it to you as a service and support it (for a big, big markup).

Otherwise, inquire with TOT or CAT and see if they can provide similar AirNet/WiNet-like service.

Also, installing a 3G Router with external directional antenna will improve your, hopefully temporary, 3G connection.

I am on satellite and while I can get a connection most of the time it is very slow and video download is just not an option. We have asked TOT to look into extending the landline (only about 300m) but they never get back to me so I am watching this with interest.

I had exactly the same problems cause by growing trees and lost connection with my dish and went to tethering with my mobile phone . Usable for non streaming but never over 3 mbps . I pestered TOT for a few months and finally have got fiber optic installed at 20 down and 7 up . They wanted 5000 baht to install it because of the longish cable run but reduced it to 4000 baht as they overestimated .

How far are you from a possible connection to the fiber optic as it may be more viable and reliable in the long run even if double the cost and especially if you plan to stay at your present home . I have a friend who lives in a remote area but not so far from the main road and had fiber optic installed . Have you spoken with broadband companies at office level ?

Good luck

We do not even have copper wire in our street so I am sure fibre optic is a dream here.. This is a difficult situation as phone data is so weak here on DTAC 36 that it is much slower than old fashioned dial up. I don't think My'Samsung Note 3 will take a 4G sim. The lack of internet prevents me looking at web pages to even get contact phone numbers. I am going crazy trying to work out a fix. Not having broadband is unbelievably restricting. It is like living in 1960 but not having a phone book or a library handy.

I found the CAT home page but it looks like it is business focused. I could not see a phone number or a contact link.

What I really need is a list of internet suppliers alternative to AIS Airnet who might have a mast in a different direction that I can get a line of sight to connect to.

Phone numbers would be handy too as browsing is almost impossible for me. I live 1 hour from Chonburi or Chacheongsao and further from Bangkok. If I did drive to one of these centres I would not know who to go to for help without getting dicked around. I have been paying I think 600 or so baht a month but would pay a few hundred a month more for a good connection. I do not even have a list of the broadband companies or where their offices are.

My wife had the steel delivered for a 20 m mast plus the 6 meter pole on top, but I have doubts about my builder doing a good/safe job. I do not want it falling on my house or other similar outcomes,obviously.

So I could go back to Airnet as an alternative if i had a decent mast. A one off payment for a professionally installed safe mast would be acceptable as long as it was not outrageous and it was the only solution.

I need broadband to live here and am hamstrung to even find a solution without it. (Catch-22.). This is a serious request for help..

Edited by The Deerhunter

We do not even have copper wire in our street so I am sure fibre optic is a dream here.. This is a difficult situation as phone data is so weak here on DTAC 36 that it is much slower than old fashioned dial up. I don't think My'Samsung Note 3 will take a 4G sim. The lack of internet prevents me looking at web pages to even get contact phone numbers. I am going crazy trying to work out a fix. Not having broadband is unbelievably restricting. It is like living in 1960 but not having a phone book or a library handy.

I found the CAT home page but it looks like it is business focused. I could not see a phone number or a contact link.

What I really need is a list of internet suppliers alternative to AIS Airnet who might have a mast in a different direction that I can get a line of sight to connect to.

Phone numbers would be handy too as browsing is almost impossible for me. I live 1 hour from Chonburi or Chacheongsao and further from Bangkok. If I did drive to one of these centres I would not know who to go to for help without getting dicked around. I have been paying I think 600 or so baht a month but would pay a few hundred a month more for a good connection. I do not even have a list of the broadband companies or where their offices are.

My wife had the steel delivered for a 20 m mast plus the 6 meter pole on top, but I have doubts about my builder doing a good/safe job. I do not want

So I could go back to Airnet as an alternative if i had a decent mast. A one off payment for a professionally installed safe mast would be acceptable as long as it was not outrageous and it was the only solution.

I need broadband to live here and am hamstrung to even find a solution without it. (Catch-22.). This is a serious request for help..

here you go

Cat telecom contact number : 1322

True online: 1686

3bb:1530

AIS: 1185

tot:1100

If cabled internet (ADSL/Fibre/DOCSIS) isn't an option then I think Crossy's suggestion of TOT WiNet might be the quickest and easiest solution.

If that isn't possible then a Wireless Bridge to the neighbour's unobstructed connection is a viable option. I have done it myself and it works flawlessly. It does require at least some knowledge to set up but anyone reasonably "techie" should be able to do it. It can be done quite cheaply.

To save me typing again, here is the link to a previous post: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/839522-wifi-antennas-longest-range/#entry9607650

Just to add. The slightly "techie" bit that I referred to is only configuring the 2 devices to talk to each other and enable security. The devices could be configured from anywhere and sent to you.

Then they just need to be mounted with line of sight and the cables connected. Most local contractors could manage that part.

<...>

I live 1 hour from Chonburi or Chacheongsao and further from Bangkok. If I did drive to one of these centres I would not know who to go to for help without getting dicked around.

<...>

I would have you or your wife ask other people living in your area (<6km) and see if any of them have good Internet service.

Ask them for the ISP and contract speed.

You'd then have two options:

Contact that ISP and ask them if they will provide service direct to your residence;

If not directly to your residence; then what nearby locations? Because maybe you can install your own DYI wireless bridge from a qualifying location.

Qualifying Location:

Has a person willing to play host to both an Internet service contract *and* a point-to-point wireless bridge

So, negotiating with someone who owns a tall building or tall mast with electrical and is in line-of-sight of your existing mast

I've also found some of my best information options come direct from the ISP service installers wandering the area in their service trucks. If you are with a Thai that can help translate you can ask them questions.

Thanks shariq607 for the phone numbers. Several are no already. TOT only wanted to talk about copper & ADSL and want 2 weeks before they even will consider it. WInet was not mentioned so we have to go back to them again on that. We met a lady coming out of TOT and she says pays 1,800 baht a month for a phone line & ADSL which sounds expensive. Also she has to drive 20km each way, every to pay TOT in cash as they will not to it by auto bank payment. Wife talked to CAT & she thought they wanted her to do something in LINE but I am sure they mean on-line. Will try and look at that again too.. Still waiting for AIS to call back & hope they have a different service option than Airnet which is what just failed for us because of trees. The repeater stations are beyond my DIY capabilities.

Two other possibilities:

(1) Is there any company who operates as a troubleshooter for no particular ISP who specializes in advising people with difficult connections?

(2) Names or phone numbers of companies who will supply and erect/set up a 20 metre mast for a reasonable figure.

(2a) What would a reasonable figure be?

Edited by The Deerhunter