Thai man massively overcharged at national park because he looks like a farang

webfact

I don't particularly care if I'm charged double or triple Thai price at tourist attractions, although I must admit a ten-fold increase is a bit steep.

Why didn't the OP demand to see the manager? He presumably speaks fluent Thai.

It's not all that hard - if you think you're being ripped off, mai ow krap.

I've tried my Thai driving licence and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I thought a tambien baan would also allow you access at Thai prices, but in truth, at the moment, I can't be bothered to jump through all the hoops to get one. So, the facts of the matter are that when we are asked to pay the 'farang' price we either pay or we don't visit. A simple choice at the moment, which, although unfair, is a fact of life here in Thailand. In general terms, although maybe not in the case in question, I bet if you spoke fluent Thai you would get a much more favourable response on production of your Thai driving licence, but unfortunately that is beyond me at the moment.

I lived in Hawaii for a couple decades. Many tourist attractions have the local price and the tourist price. It's a perk for people who are already paying a premium to live there. I don't see a problem with tourist attractions being priced different for locals.

• Like 2

I had to pay the falang price with my Filpina wife on Koh Samed this past weekend, the ranger said I can pay local price if I showed him my work permit! I don't carry that booklet around with me in Thailand. Never been asked for it before. Guess I will now. Normally my Thai driving license gets local price in most places, though not all. Mimosa Pattaya still charges the rip off price, so, even though there is a good restaurant in there, I will never eat there again!

Well, he does look like a foreigner smile.png

Joking aside, the article didn't mention if he did show the ID card or not..

Just try to read the article again, slowly.

However, despite Mr Grittapohn, who has a Thai ID card, explaining to the attendant he was in fact Thai the attendant insisted on him paying the 200 Baht.

Saying you have one and showing are two different things. One you can get in trouble for showing and the other depends

Edited by silent
  • Like 1

1.. of course i do not like to pay an inflated price..

2.. of course it may not be good for the tourist industry..

but.. i must admit that my country..australia...and most western countries also have dual pricing systems..

wait... wait.. before you shout me down..

when back in australia..i ride for free in the public transport system because i am over 60.. students and the unemployed also get reduced rates.

many other venues i get a reduced rate even at some coffee shops.

i.e. those whi have pay extra.

sorry..jyst pinting out a fact

Yeah mate,but it's not racist,agist maybe.When you pay more, or less because of your colour,this is the thin edge of the wedge and must be stamped out,or at least rejected.Where will it stop.

• Like 1

My post referred to your comment about "locals", by which you meant UK locals - your post was clear on that, since the quote is from a passage about UK.

My "What is a local?" is not about Thais, but about 'locals' anywhere in the world.

As for the 'goon' bit - I'd use that description for anyone in a position of authority, however little that authority might be, who applies personal prejudices in the course of their work wherever in the world they might be.

So you're using a derogatory term to describe someone that appears to have been doing the job he's instructed and paid to do!

He has not applied prejudice. His job is to charge foreigners 200 baht and Thais 20 baht. Regardless of what you think of the pricing system you cannot accuse this attendant of being prejudiced when charging someone that looks western and can't prove otherwise.

Stop trying to introduce Thais into my post which didn't refer to Thais and had no connection with Thais.

clap2.gifcheesy.gif Ok so when you talk of goons in ticket booths I will assume it has nothing to do with the Thai ticket attendant in the OP and that when you refer to "goon" it only applies to goons of other nationalities.

Well done, that man!! The penny finally drops!! I was referring to goons of any nationality whatsoever - what do you think " ...wherever in the world they might be ..." means?

I think we need the fire brigade for you, Mister.

Edited by MartinL

good on you farang lookin' Thai man and welcome to the club.

Keep gettin' the word out on social media. Together we can shut down the entire Thai tourist industry.

This guy must be popular with the Thai ladies.

Can we get this story translated to Chinese?

Do chinese also have to pay the farang-price?

mao set up a official 2 price policy ... kinda went the way of the dodo & mao , but some will still try to cheat you . but all prices are marked on almost everything . it is interesting the 2 price setup is still enforced to make " other " province peeps pay more at national shrines . oh yea ...country side people take a beating if not with locals . it seems the more backward a race is , the more they take from there own people that can afford it least . no asian people except the japanese seem to have gotten their social shxt together .

Publicity seeker! Having 5,000 "friends' tells us that!!

He does look farang and if he didn't (unknown) show his ID card to prove otherwise the attendant had every right to charge him the going rate.

I've visited many parks in this country and if I show my Thai drivers licence I get in for the Thai price!

And whats the problem with dual pricing anyway. Western tourists can afford to pay more. Would the foreigner still visit if Thais were made to pay the same? It's 200 baht, take it or leave it.

You think it is ok to rip off tourists? I would love you to come to my country and be told you have to pay 10 times the price of a local. The only reason this story has been reported is because it happened to a Thai. A reality check is called for

I think that in business people charge as much as they think their product or service is worth and that the consumer has the choice. Tourists get "ripped off" in every country.

If Thailand is pricing foreigners out of visiting these places they will soon know and will pay the consequences or change. My guess is that foreign tourists will still visit. 200 baht = $5. Is a tourist on holiday honestly going to quibble over such a small amount! Reality check back at you.

It isnt the amount that is questioned here it is the principle. Evidently you dont understand tat

Evidently you don't understand that people have the choice to pay or not and that Thailand has the right to charge whatever she wants.

Those of you that are so principled that you can't bring yourselves to pay because you're paying more than a Thai can exercise your right and sit in the car or stay at home. I have no problem with that.

• Like 1

While I can understand the problem, I refuse to whine about it. No one put a gun to my head and FORCED me to move here. I did it because I felt Thailand offered the most for my retirement dollar. Complaining will do no good and it MIGHT make things worse. Thais resent us as it is and the problem isn't improving.

How about a rational approach, and consider on what basis might there be any form of tiered pricing.

Some points to consider:

- modern world, modern values: no discrimination based on nationality; but ok to discriminate based on circumstance. For example, differentiate between "tourist" and "resident", or, as in some countries "OAPs" have various reductions, or free, for various things.

- tax paying residents subsidise nation subsidised bodies, like parks etc. So might be a case for non tax payers to pay more. On the other hand, tourist bring in foreign currency, which some economists would argue brings additional boost value to the nations economy, more than just the coin face value.

- there are mechanisms such as voluntary tiers (basic minimum, but encourage donations); engage third party business, such as shops, restaurants etc, and charge space rental for added income, ...many more!

Bottom line:

-Needs rational justified policy, consistent and enforced.

-"Circumstance" must be provable at the point of entry, eg non-Thai resident tax payer has to show their tax ID card.

-Balance the tier values; a factor of 10 is perhaps too much.

It's not rocket science.

The tax system here is different from the Western way (i believe)

Anyone spending money here be a tourist, an ex-pat or a Thai person pay most tax through what they spend. Not on what they earn.

So by default we can pay a lot of tax just on our monthly expenses. Where as a Thai person on a minimum wage pays very little.

But we can be looked down on due that we don't work and pay no (earnings) tax.

Where in any country's tax law does it state that there has to be a provision for perceived equity? Ludicrous!

Tax has always been about the ability to leverage the fee at an opportunity. The politics comes afterwards.

I dislike the penny-ante farangs grumblings here as most have run from other places which they either owe tax or are just unable to afford that home life. Need more to do.

I have no problem with Thais paying far less to get into public attractions. Tourists should pay more, considering our average income is 10 times the average Thai. Thais should not pay anything to enter Wats, etc that are sacred to Buddhists, whereas tourists who are just there to gawk and snap selfies should pay. It is not racism, it is just logical.

It happens all over the world. Local residents of Southern California can get drastically reduced season passes to Disneyland not offered even to Northern Californians. Students from out of state or other countries pay much higher tuition at US universities, because local residents pay taxes to support the institutions, and they are there for the greater good of the US. Thais who have higher incomes pay taxes to fund national parks etc and Buddhists support their local and regional temples, wats, etc with donations of whatever they can afford, so they should not be expected to pay additionally to worship.

I am so sick of Thai Visa old farts complaining about such inequities, those who complain the most deserve to pay the most, to pay for your bad karma (no I don't believe in karma spiritually, but sociologically it works). We relatively rich bastards should be happy to spend more than Thais to live in the country.

Get over it!!!

I was over it before you were born sonny.If you can't understand blatent racism,you need re-education.

This has been going on for decades, and the tourist industry is making a fortune. How much is the kick back to tour agents for taking a group to the Grand Palace? There are some very beautiful old weapons stored in the Armory there that are rusting, because of lack of maintenance. It is an indicator that some of the persons responsible for maintaining the artifacts there, do not acre. I have seen security guards asleep, not doing their jobs.

How about a rational approach, and consider on what basis might there be any form of tiered pricing.

Some points to consider:

- modern world, modern values: no discrimination based on nationality; but ok to discriminate based on circumstance. For example, differentiate between "tourist" and "resident", or, as in some countries "OAPs" have various reductions, or free, for various things.

- tax paying residents subsidise nation subsidised bodies, like parks etc. So might be a case for non tax payers to pay more. On the other hand, tourist bring in foreign currency, which some economists would argue brings additional boost value to the nations economy, more than just the coin face value.

- there are mechanisms such as voluntary tiers (basic minimum, but encourage donations); engage third party business, such as shops, restaurants etc, and charge space rental for added income, ...many more!

Bottom line:

-Needs rational justified policy, consistent and enforced.

-"Circumstance" must be provable at the point of entry, eg non-Thai resident tax payer has to show their tax ID card.

-Balance the tier values; a factor of 10 is perhaps too much.

It's not rocket science.

The tax system here is different from the Western way (i believe)

Anyone spending money here be a tourist, an ex-pat or a Thai person pay most tax through what they spend. Not on what they earn.

So by default we can pay a lot of tax just on our monthly expenses. Where as a Thai person on a minimum wage pays very little.

But we can be looked down on due that we don't work and pay no (earnings) tax.

Speak for yourself, I pay tax and I also have a WP, furthermore I pay taxes for my staff and my company.

There's a lot of farrang paying taxes here, some more, some less but we still pay taxes most of us, if not work related, by import goods, by buying a property/condo or whatnot.

There's at least +7000 farrangs paying their taxes in Phuket as there equally many having a WP.

Publicity seeker! Having 5,000 "friends' tells us that!!

He does look farang and if he didn't (unknown) show his ID card to prove otherwise the attendant had every right to charge him the going rate.

I've visited many parks in this country and if I show my Thai drivers licence I get in for the Thai price!

And whats the problem with dual pricing anyway. Western tourists can afford to pay more. Would the foreigner still visit if Thais were made to pay the same? It's 200 baht, take it or leave it.

When was the last time you used you driving licence?

The charge to most if not all national is 40 for a Thai national and 400 baht if not.

Are you really so daft to accept a 10 fold increase? Well you already stated you use your licence, so you are not! Slightly hypocritical!

Khao Yai Park and most now won't accept the driving licence, although some of the smaller ones still do if you ask politely in Thai.

The point about the driving licence was that even a foreigner that shows a form of Thai issued ID pays the Thai price. So if this Thai had shown his Thai ID he would probably have been treated the same.

Thais rarely leave home without ID. A western looking Thai visiting a place known to charge more for foreigners is either setting himself up for a story or should accept that with no proof of his nationality and looking like he does means he might be charged the higher price. My guess is the former!

I would only pay 400 baht if I thought If I felt the place I was visiting was worth it. The fact that Thais pay less doesn't bother me.

I have more self respect than to ever think it's worth paying a rip off price just cos I'm white