Can I choose where I extend my retirement visa.

What criteria dictates where I have to extend my Thai retirement visa in Thailand?

First option is on a property that I have a 30 year Lease.

Second choice a rented property different province that has a year round rental agreement.

Usually there is only a document check of address for retirement extension (other than marriage extension).

So if you have a reasonable proof of address for either of the places you can do your choice.

Is it your first extension? (change of address needs explicit form to be filled)

Just curious: what are the two immigration offices to choose from?

"Usually": following reports in the forum there are extreme offices that do home visits even for retirement extensions.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Usually there is only a document check of address for retirement extension (other than marriage extension).

So if you have a reasonable proof of address for either of the places you can do your choice.

Is it your first extension? (change of address needs explicit form to be filled)

"Usually": following reports in the forum there are extreme offices that do home visits even for retirement extensions.

Now this is interesting what you are saying here, as my friend has indeed had a home visit.

But it has not ended there.

Now in spite of him successfully extending his retirement visa with 800,000 Baht in his bank account for three months, they are now asking him for his pension details.

The requirement is that you have to do the extension at the immigration responsible of your residence. How/where you choose your residence is of course up to you.

Given for instance the chaotic situation at Chiang Mai immigration it would make sense to rent an apartment in Bangkok and do your extension there.

Now this is interesting what you are saying here, as my friend has indeed had a home visit.

Now in spite of him successfully extending his retirement visa with 800,000 Baht in his bank account for three months, they are now asking him for his pension details.

That is odd

Which immigration office does your friend use and why are they asking for pension details after he has already received his extension?

How does immigration know about any pension your friend may receive? If his extension was made on the basis of 800,00 properly "seasoned" in a Thai bank there is no requirement to disclose any further financial information.

• Like 2

That is odd

Which immigration office does your friend use and why are they asking for pension details after he has already received his extension?

How does immigration know about any pension your friend may receive? If his extension was made on the basis of 800,00 properly "seasoned" in a Thai bank there is no requirement to disclose any further financial information.

Very odd in fact.

He has no idea why they are asking for his pension details.

As for the immigration office concerned, I would prefer to leave that blank if you don't mind.

Did the bank manager's letter and your friend's bank book show that deposits were being made from a foreign source? They may want to know if he's living off money coming in from outside Thailand or if it appears it's just domestic deposits, which might raise the suspicion that he's employed in Thailand.

Did the bank manager's letter and your friend's bank book show that deposits were being made from a foreign source? They may want to know if he's living off money coming in from outside Thailand or if it appears it's just domestic deposits, which might raise the suspicion that he's employed in Thailand.

Another good point you raise.

He already had to supply a letter from his bank confirming he had deposited 800,000 Baht for three months.

They may well have also confirmed that these funds were deposited from outside of Thailand.

As it was all in Thai he has no idea what it stated.

Someone mention here recently that they are also holding Retirement Visa's back for a 30 day approval, but not at all offices yet. Not sure how true that is as I am here on a Married Visa but if it is true it may mean they will start to check your residence before approval and like they do for Marriage Visas.

There are a lot of "Ifs" in all that but if I was you I would go to the office that is where I live. At least until you find out for sure if they have this 30 day waiting period and what that is for.

Someone mention here recently that they are also holding Retirement Visa's back for a 30 day approval, but not at all offices yet. Not sure how true that is as I am here on a Married Visa but if it is true it may mean they will start to check your residence before approval and like they do for Marriage Visas.

There are a lot of "Ifs" in all that but if I was you I would go to the office that is where I live. At least until you find out for sure if they have this 30 day waiting period and what that is for.

Kap Choeng immigration is doing a 30 day under consideration stamp for retirement extension so they can verify your residence.

Udon Thani also but no residence check.

Just got mine from Nonthaburi based on 800k in the bank. Two-week call back after application accepted, received with no problem, and no residence check (though I did need the form from the landlord for the application). It was the same for my mother-in-law 6 months ago at the same office.

Immigration [in its variable by location entities] have understood for some time that aliens/foreigners play 'games' to conform with the rules in their location; whether the written rules are reasonable or correctly interpreted by their local office being an irrelevance. Arranged marriages appear to be of primary concern, and therefore a marriage extension has become more onerous. Next would obviously be those who choose the retirement extension where funds have been 'moved around' for many a year to meet the qualification. Why would Immigration not be looking to check this on whatever basis they feel fit? If you 'have all your ducks in a row' [ http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/get+ducks+in+a+row ] there should be nothing to worry about

• Like 1

As for the immigration office concerned, I would prefer to leave that blank if you don't mind.

A wild guess - if it's the first time for a retirement extension, then perhaps the IO is "just checking" - even though it does seem to be ridiculous to be asking about his finances, when he already has the necessary 800K in the bank.....

That is odd

Very odd in fact.

It's not that odd. If you have the 800k on an account which you otherwise don't use, most I.O. like to see from where the money is that your expenses are paid off.

• Like 1

That is odd

Maybe they want to see another source of money if fixed account is static.

They come to house to check what exactly.They have my passport,so i can't show how old i am,they have a bank letter that i have required funds,seasoned.What else is required,a word from pooyai and neighbors to say what a keeneeaw i am.When it is my turn next Feb.it will be me asking the questions.not them.

Kap Choeng immigration is doing a 30 day under consideration stamp for retirement extension so they can verify your residence.

What would it matter where you live on a retirement extention.Smells like a fishing expedition to me.Imagine doing this in Ch Mai or Bangkok,fulltime job for somebody.

They come to house to check what exactly.They have my passport,so i can't show how old i am,they have a bank letter that i have required funds,seasoned.What else is required,a word from pooyai and neighbors to say what a keeneeaw i am.When it is my turn next Feb.it will be me asking the questions.not them.

cheesy.gif

This "brave" person wishes to leave the LOS!

• Like 1

Immigration [in its variable by location entities] have understood for some time that aliens/foreigners play 'games' to conform with the rules in their location; whether the written rules are reasonable or correctly interpreted by their local office being an irrelevance. Arranged marriages appear to be of primary concern, and therefore a marriage extension has become more onerous. Next would obviously be those who choose the retirement extension where funds have been 'moved around' for many a year to meet the qualification. Why would Immigration not be looking to check this on whatever basis they feel fit? If you 'have all your ducks in a row' [ http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/get+ducks+in+a+row ] there should be nothing to worry about

What you have said above certainly goes on a fair bit.Checking where you live on a retirement extention will not solve the above.Is this particular to KCI as this the only place it is happening.Maybe they want to ask the neighbors if i work,the same neighbors i sell eggs to,bugger me,my chicken is cooked.

I never touch the money in my 800,000 baht account and one year the I/O did ask me about my source of funds for living expenses. I guess he was just checking that wasn't working or something. I simply said my husband's pension is adequate to support both of us, would he like to see and pulled out the bankbook for our joint Bangkok Bank account, which is a very active account. He just glanced at one page and waved it away. So yes, it is a fair question for them to ask someone with an 800,000 baht account about their source of funds for the living expenses in Thailand.

Also, I know people who play games with 800,000 baht, sharing it between two or even three people. That could be another reason for asking. (Incidentally, this isn't a good idea, I know of a three-party sharing situation where one party conveniently developed a case of dementia and "misplaced" the 800,000 baht)

• Like 2

What would it matter where you live on a retirement extention.Smells like a fishing expedition to me.Imagine doing this in Ch Mai or Bangkok,fulltime job for somebody.

Actually, they are checking up on people on retirement extensions in Chiang Mai. It's not as organized as doing a "30 day under consideration stamp", but in the past month or two CM Immigration has been visiting retirees in remote villages in District V and talking with their neighbors (not them directly) and visiting condo building in the city to talk with condo management about the foreign retirees. It's not clear if they plan to check on everyone with a retirement extension, but this is one explanation for why there's only one I/O doing retirement extensions at the new Imm. office vs. 2 or 3 before. More officers are out doing enforcement now.

Edited by NancyL

cheesy.gif

This "brave" person wishes to leave the LOS!

Are you the person that wai's them at every opportunity.Only asking questions mate,that's not a crime yet,is it.2nd in charge gave me her phone number to ring anytime i have problems,not Feb. yet.I don't get my Immi info from bar room banter,i get it from the source.

Actually, they are checking up on people on retirement extensions in Chiang Mai. It's not as organized as doing a "30 day under consideration stamp", but in the past month or two CM Immigration has been visiting retirees in remote villages in District V and talking with their neighbors (not them directly) and visiting condo building in the city to talk with condo management about the foreign retirees. It's not clear if they plan to check on everyone with a retirement extension, but this is one explanation for why there's only one I/O doing retirement extensions at the new Imm. office vs. 2 or 3 before. More officers are out doing enforcement now.

The real question NancyL, is what has precipitated the sudden surge of interest.

A rhetorical question I know but my experience here tells me there is a reason behind this and it is not related to any "incident" in Bangkok

I have always needed the letter from the bank.

That the bank book is updated just before the letter is written.

I must show my bank book with all the other "ducks".

However, as it is a static account, I always have another bankbook available and that shows loads'o money coming in from outside.

I keep the 800,000b as an emergency fund should something unforeseen arise.

I am married to a Thai but have always gone for the retirement extension because it used to be that

if you have the correctly seasoned funds etc., the extension was granted on the spot.

I do hope they don't over complicate things.

We spend about 5 months or so in Thailand each year, so if they increase the difficulty

I will drop that to tourist 90 day visa and spend less time and money in Thailand.

A friend of mine has a boyfriend whose brother is deputy headman of his village; he lives some of the time in his boyfriend's house along with the deputy headman and his family. Apparently there's no formal rental agreement. The village is in Surin province but less than an hour's drive from Sisaket which (according to other threads) has a tolerably efficient Immigration office

Can my friend renew his visa in Sisaket, and would something signed by his boyfriend's brother as deputy headman carry any weight with respect to place of residence? Can he do his reporting at Sisaket?

Edited by SaintLouisBlues

The real question NancyL, is what has precipitated the sudden surge of interest.

A rhetorical question I know but my experience here tells me there is a reason behind this and it is not related to any "incident" in Bangkok

Well, in this case you would be wrong. The check ups here in Chiang Mai and surrounding provinces started as a direct result of the bombing in Bangkok and by order of Bangkok police. Some have reported being visited by a mix of Immigration and local police, but here in the boon-docks where I live we were only visited by local police. The police were supplied with a list of foreigners living in their area, and had to go check up on all of them. The list included a column with the header (in Thai) "RISK" that they had to fill out.

Before this order came down from Bangkok Chiang Mai Immigration have never shown any interest in visiting people on retirement extensions, and I suspect that once the heat dies down they will revert to their old ways.

Sophon

• Like 1