Army unit helps Isaan folk find 'correct political understanding'

Lite Beer

Army official says Army doing wonderful job.

In other news, dog scratches fleas.

'Dog licks its anus during dinner' would be a more appropriate way of putting it, in my humble opinion...

I believe baboons eat their own (deleted) and seem to enjoy it lol

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some red shirts did need to be educated regarding democracy. They had the idea that democracy involved preventing the opposing party from campaigning in their ridings. They did this by throwing rocks, bricks, potted plants (seriously), home made bombs etc., they used trucks with loud speakers to drown out politicians during rallies. Clearly those people had a misunderstanding of how democracy should work. The PDRC, on the other hand merely blocked access to voting booths which is a much more democratic way to behave. Truth is, most Thais don't understand real democracy, because they have never experienced it.

I guess this has to be an attempt at sarcasm?

I believe the last sentence in the post shows up that it wasn't 'sarcasm'. Given how those making up the 'red shirts' acted during their protests, I have no difficulty in believing this is how they acted during political campaigning. However, the fact that those who 'merely blocked access to voting booths' have the bigger guns and thus ensure their being able to bully the entire nation at will. Remember, it's not just the ignorant farmers who're being suppressed now.

Smedley, you just don't get it do you?

Why is the army doing this? Since when has ANY Army been democratic? What right does the Army have to "educate" people on politics?

Forget what the contents are, they are part of the problem, but you just keep ignoring this fact.

This is like you coming to my house and telling me how I should live my life!!

Why is the army doing this? Since when has ANY Army been democratic? What right does the Army have to "educate" people on politics?

Forget what the contents are, they are part of the problem, but you just keep ignoring this fact.

oh I do get it, corruption rules in this country and when the people are allowed to actually vote without a bribe or intimidation and those in office actually make an attempt to represent the interest of the people and not themselves only then will this country evolve from the dark grip of twisted greed and lies

Also, what QUALIFIES the army to 'educate' people on politics any more than say postal workers or train drivers? 'Guns' is all I can think of...

a well written article from another thread that basically says it all - quote

BANGKOK: -- Rather than complaining from the sidelines, politicians should be preparing for the nobler struggle ahead

Now that it's clear the constitutional reform process will take considerably longer than expected, Thailand's political parties, disgruntled in their enforced dormancy, have two choices. They can either bide their time amid murmurs of undermining the Prayut regime, or they can undergo reform of their own so that, when the time for action finally arrives, they won't repeat the same mistakes.

With rumours circulating that the new Constitution will downgrade the status and role of political parties - and that some might even be nullified - the first option must be tempting, but it would automatically doom Thailand to continue its vicious cycle.

Once an election is held and a fresh civilian government is installed, the only thing preventing a return to military rule will be a complete revamp of politicians' attitudes and behaviour. If they continue offering more of the same action, they invite more of the same reaction. If they don't rehabilitate, they can expect their uniformed "overseers" to step in again and tinker longer with Thailand's strange clockwork version of democracy.

Surely the parties have done ample soul-searching since the coup, but they must take that another step further. Blaming the military is all too convenient, yet it changes nothing. The politicians must instead look deep into the mirror and find out what role they played in the turmoil that led to the coup. Then they must determine what they need to do to bring the turmoil to a halt once and for all.

Two glaring problems with Thai democracy are corruption and the unwavering habit of putting the wrong men in key jobs. Ridding the system of graft requires a thorough cleansing of ethics, wholeheartedly supported by the party leaders. If the parties are honest, swift in punishing wrongdoers and transparent about irregularities that arise, the country will be halfway to the goal of ending its prolonged political strife.

The practice of placing unqualified men in important Cabinet posts has several root causes. Either the prime minister is seeking to protect or broaden his power base, or a coalition partner needs to be mollified, or internal factional bickering forces the matter, catapulting low-minded people into lofty offices.

Corruption and poor Cabinet appointments often feed off each other, leaving our parliamentary democracy marred by graft, hampered by inefficiency and ultimately unable to purge either poison.

The political parties, if they are to return to the playing field and make the game sustainable, must figure out a way to change this unhealthy status quo. Failure to do so would only ensure that the same rusty anchor stymies progress, regenerating the same old vicious cycle of flawed government followed by uprising followed by coup.

Expecting our elected politicians to be able to block military intervention for good is perhaps optimism stretched too far, given the supremacy of the armed forces in the Thai hierarchy of power. But they can certainly make it much harder for the generals and the admirals to find an excuse for a coup.

So this is what the political parties should be doing with their "free time" on the sidelines.

They should be conducting an ethical overhaul and making constructive connections to form a qualified and capable "shadow cabinet". That alone would indeed be a meaningful contribution to the system.

Opposition to the draft constitution has been largely a matter of self-interest. The critics ask what the constitution can do for them, while failing to utter the far more important question of what they can do to make democracy sustainable, healthy and, at last, dignified.

Darker days are drawing near.

If the army is going round the villages pointing out "the error of their (political) ways" to people then dark days are here.

What hope is there for a free election?

since you seem to know all about it maybe you could explain to us all what exactly the people were being told that was so bad, anyone else wants to chip in please do - facts only please, no made up red propaganda

I agree completely -so much bitching and nonsense all seemingly based on nothing at this stage - typical narrow minded let's knock the junta as we are fully aware of their misguided efforts to stamp-out our beloved red ideals. Never mind the red crap that was being promoted on a daily basis under the all loving banner of our upstanding law abiding PM now criminal fugitive ex PM - promoting "if you don't toe-the-line watch-out " and no village loans for you etc.

So before bitching, complaining and pushing your own warped agenda, a few facts might either help you cause or shoot it down.

Thai army manipulating the ordinary majority of Thais by "helping" them to "correctly" understand the political situation. Thi is a shame for Thailand. Taking advantage of the poor by undue influence.

Some red shirts did need to be educated regarding democracy. They had the idea that democracy involved preventing the opposing party from campaigning in their ridings. They did this by throwing rocks, bricks, potted plants (seriously), home made bombs etc., they used trucks with loud speakers to drown out politicians during rallies. Clearly those people had a misunderstanding of how democracy should work. The PDRC, on the other hand merely blocked access to voting booths which is a much more democratic way to behave. Truth is, most Thais don't understand real democracy, because they have never experienced it.

Well I agreed with you for the first part until I read the second one.

This is irony right?

You mean it is a democratic way to prevent democratic vote?

The PDRC supporters would love the same poll they have in North Kora : one guy only to be elected and only one choice "yes".

oh I do get it, corruption rules in this country and when the people are allowed to actually vote without a bribe or intimidation and those in office actually make an attempt to represent the interest of the people and not themselves only then will this country evolve from the dark grip of twisted greed and lies

Some people, actually it seems to be many, just love knocking any effort to sort out the mess that this country had been and is currently in. The junta may well not be ideal group to undertake this task, but they are certainly streets ahead of anyone else currently capable.

It seems many of you conveniently forget the red shirt villages with their education centres where anyone against them were afraid to speak out. It will be interesting to actually get a first hand account from someone who has been to one of the army meetings.

What the he!! has that got to do with what's happening today?? Don't you junta lovers see that everything the junta does is not excused by the existence of the bogeyman in Dubai?? When you were a kid and broke a window did your mother buy the argument that "Somchai did it first so it's OK"?

I don't claim 2 wrongs make a right but none of us here have any idea of what goes on at the army meetings. It is quite obvious your bogeyman is the junta. I don't have one in my closet but I do believe Mr T & his henchmen robbed the country blind at much higher levels than previously seen in this country.

Don't be daft. Read some books. The ones you are not allowed to buy or own here. Clues, immense military and police wealth. Opium, heroin and weapon dealings from the 50's onwards. The list is endless and it all started when Thaksin was still being breastfed as a toddler by his mother.

Call me cynical or whatever but after a few posts worth reading the thread inevitably degenerates into petty bickering.

And we criticize the Thais for their immaturity !

Time to unfollow.

Edited by Oziex1

No doubt the members of the Einsatzgruppen (oops! just a slip of keyboard) will have left the region having been told, with a big smile, exactly what they wanted to hear. Boxes ticked, backhanders given, job done.

The proof of the pudding, however, is in the eating.

This idea of promoting "correct political understanding" is very similar to a Communist Party of [North] Korea's dissertation ON HAVING A CORRECT UNDERSTANDING OF THE POLITICAL, MORAL AND MATERIAL INCENTIVES, A Talk to the Officials of the Science and Education Department of the Central Committee of the Workers, June 13, 1967.

attachicon.gifON HAVING A CORRECT UNDERSTANDING OF THE POLITICAL.pdf

What's next - a Thung Yang Daeng model for the Northeast?

As a Shin apologist, you'd be very familiar with this type of approach. Red Shirt political awareness classes (laughingly called democracy schools - very Mao), Red Shirt TV and radio and of course the village PA systems all spouting Shin propaganda.

Thaksin's dream of a one party state, controlled politically by his dynastic family with himself firmly at the head is very similar to what you describe. And just like most of those who embrace that model he wants all the wealth and riches for himself, family and cronies.

Where do you read this rubbish? Political awareness classes? PA systems spouting propaganda? Complete dross.

If the army is going round the villages pointing out "the error of their (political) ways" to people then dark days are here.

since you seem to know all about it maybe you could explain to us all what exactly the people were being told that was so bad, anyone else wants to chip in please do - facts only please, no made up red propaganda

I agree completely -so much bitching and nonsense all seemingly based on nothing at this stage - typical narrow minded let's knock the junta as we are fully aware of their misguided efforts to stamp-out our beloved red ideals. Never mind the red crap that was being promoted on a daily basis under the all loving banner of our upstanding law abiding PM now criminal fugitive ex PM - promoting "if you don't toe-the-line watch-out " and no village loans for you etc.

So before bitching, complaining and pushing your own warped agenda, a few facts might either help you cause or shoot it down.

When a non elected Junta tell the people they will teach them "good politic", only a fool could believe they really will...

So don't use an argument you will never accept if it was in any other Dict...Junta lead country.

Two wrongs not make a right

So you consider yourself one of the fully informed as to what transpired, so in the interest of clarity could you please inform everyone so we are all batting on on ever pitch.

This idea of promoting "correct political understanding" is very similar to a Communist Party of [North] Korea's dissertation ON HAVING A CORRECT UNDERSTANDING OF THE POLITICAL, MORAL AND MATERIAL INCENTIVES, A Talk to the Officials of the Science and Education Department of the Central Committee of the Workers, June 13, 1967.

attachicon.gifON HAVING A CORRECT UNDERSTANDING OF THE POLITICAL.pdf

What's next - a Thung Yang Daeng model for the Northeast?

As a Shin apologist, you'd be very familiar with this type of approach. Red Shirt political awareness classes (laughingly called democracy schools - very Mao), Red Shirt TV and radio and of course the village PA systems all spouting Shin propaganda.

Thaksin's dream of a one party state, controlled politically by his dynastic family with himself firmly at the head is very similar to what you describe. And just like most of those who embrace that model he wants all the wealth and riches for himself, family and cronies.

Where do you read this rubbish? Political awareness classes? PA systems spouting propaganda? Complete dross.

As one who happened to be in downtown Bangkok during the 2010 'protests', radios were turned full blast spouting vitriol from the Taksin bought and paid for PR men from every predominantly NE worker occupied space along every soi. When I'd pointed it out I'd been told 'No, you not understand', shortly before a rocket was fired at the skytrain.

If one speaks to older Thais, 40+, particularly from Northern Isaan, you will hear of many ordinary people from Isaan being detained, tortured and extrajudicially executed if they were suspected of any form of political activism against the military government of the day. The more things change, the more things stay the same.

Some people, actually it seems to be many, just love knocking any effort to sort out the mess that this country had been and is currently in. The junta may well not be ideal group to undertake this task, but they are certainly streets ahead of anyone else currently capable.

Says who? What qualifies them, an autocratic organisation, to be able to preach and teach democracy?

Says who? What qualifies them, an autocratic organisation, to be able to preach and teach democracy?
Any suggestion who might qualify to do a better job?

When a non elected Junta tell the people they will teach them "good politic", only a fool could believe they really will...

So don't use an argument you will never accept if it was in any other Dict...Junta lead country.

Two wrongs not make a right

So you consider yourself one of the fully informed as to what transpired, so in the interest of clarity could you please inform everyone so we are all batting on on ever pitch.

You should read carefully before hitting the "reply" button.

No one need to be fully informed of the details when a Non elected Junta which previously has acted so well for the freedom of speech, liberty of political choice,want a internet single gateway, use lese majeste law 40 times more than any previous government, tell the press "out of joke" they may be executed if they don't properly do their work, grants itself amnesty for past, present and futur actions it may takes and put in place a "article 44" law....

Should I continue or you REALLY think they teach "good politic" ?

You are correct, corruption is rife, but not at grass roots, it's the CORPORATIONS and their senior management who need to be brought to heel with regards to corruption, and these people are the rich and powerful, the Hi So of this country.

It's the politicians themselves who eventually will be given limited control who need to be brought to heel. So how about rounding them all up, and giving them the "lectures"

It's the likes of the mad monk and Suthep, who stood and prevented voters their democratic rights to vote, brought to heel and taught about democracy.

It's the likes of Juttaporn and Weng who need to be taught democracy,

But come on, the military who have staged 19 coups are the right people to be teaching democracy when they are the biggest problem in the country and at the centre of every political issue since the 1930's ?

You said you get it? No you don't!! to ignore the fact they are in no position to teach right from wrong!! The Army are the biggest obstacle for this country to try and progress.

You don't get it because this is all about culture past and present, you don't get it because you don't see it being about keeping feudalism and a social divide alive.

What you do get is they you view the Army as being better as the PTP, most of us agree to this too, but you also ignore that corruption happens inside the non transparent military every bit as much as it does outside.

Anyone who isn't ruling controlling the masses at the end of a gun would be my choice.

Or any individual/association who has been involved in or been associated with any of the previous coups/constitution attempts or having benefited from them.

I would personally also like to suggest an age limit of 50. The roundabout of geriatric dinosaurs stuck in the 1930's is never good.

Thai Academics who have studied Thai politics would be a good start, also economists, former MPs/senators/judiciary who were not affiliated to either the red or yellow movement.

The Army is a political faction, it's very very obvious on which side of the divide they belong to, and anyway, it doesn't matter who I think would be better, I'm a farang, what I think is irrelevant the mess to clear up can only be cleared up by themselves.

Thai army manipulating the ordinary majority of Thais by "helping" them to "correctly" understand the political situation. Thi is a shame for Thailand. Taking advantage of the poor by undue influence.

Merely blocked access to voting booths?? Are you for real? And that is your understanding of democracy.

Well perhaps we could consider a few things.

1. The army stood by and allowed a largely paid for street mob, some armed, led by an opposition politician, disrupt and in fact prevent an election called in a fully constitutional way. That is a fact, it happened in plain view of the public and the media, domestic and international.The degree to which the army were aware beforehand that the election was to be prevented is unproven, and so cannot be regarded as a fact, although the leader of the aforesaid mob has publicly claimed that the army was very much involved in the planning.

2. The army then used the resulting political stalemate as the excuse to stage a coup. That is a fact. The coup leader claimed that it was a spontaneous decision, coups, like all major military operations require careful planning and the dissemination of full instructions to the key participants. The one thing they are not is spontaneous. That too is a fact.

3. Nearly 18 months later, the army is still in control, the coup leader installed himself (despite his promise he would not) as Prime Minister, the elected parliament is replaced by an assembly largely drawn from the military and therefore answerable to its chain of command, he is effectively ruling by decree, (article 44). The Constitution was thrown away without any form of public consultation, despite the fact that it had been "approved" by the people less than seven years ago.Those are facts are they not?

4. Basic rights and freedoms are denied, freedom of assembly, freedom of political activity, the military are able to detain at will (remember the woman dragged from the street and bundled into a pink taxi),and the press is regularly "reminded" what to report and say. Open dissidents are detained by the military, and told that if they do not change their ways they may face further longer detention,along with confiscation of assets and fiscal penalties.Those are all facts.

5. Now this same Army boasts at its success in deploying troops to help "Isaan folk find correct political understanding" These same "Isaan Folk" whose right to have their opinions expressed by their vote in the election was denied.

Now you may consider commenting on this whole business as "bitching, complaining and pushing your own warped agenda", I would suggest that viewing it with any sort of approval shows utter contempt for the Thai electorate, (among whom I presume you live), a total lack of concern for basic freedoms for the Thais (as long as their absence does not materially impinge on your life); and perhaps even an enthusiasm for a form of government more familiar to South American banana republics from the last century, rather than any interest in this countries admittedly tenuous hold on democracy. I find it an appalling thing to have happened to a country which was taking its first painful steps towards becoming a mature democracy, and that is why I bitch and complain. Feel free to regard the views I have just expressed as a warped agenda if it helps you to ignore the inconvenient truths which they underline.

Edited by JAG

I have no problem with the government making it's case but the opposition must also be allowed to make it's case...and when there is dialogue, that is democracy. When a government is compelled to 'correct political understanding', we have a dictatorship using brainwashing to control the people. It is possible that 'correct political understanding' is a mistaken use of English which is common here and must be allowed for. The true intent is revealed through their actions and behavior...we'll see...

The PDRC merely blocked access to polling booths? They blocked, they bashed, they tortured, they murdered. And still people tried hard to vote. Have you forgotten "respect my vote"?

If u have to wait for a complete lack of intimidation or bribery to allow elections to go on, you of course create the tautology that one can prevent an election completely by setting up a bribe or intimidation.

In your world, are we allowed to have an election and prosecute wrong doing after the event? Or shall minority report style of law enforcement be the order of the day??

You risk treating the Thai people like children, preventing them even the tiniest freedoms. This as with children can lead to a lack of maturity and self control. If you ban kids from doing anything the response can be out of control kids.

Thailand needs to learn the cost of its mistakes. Just as now the junta has stalled the economy, Yinglucks cost to the country would have eventually come out and she would have been voted out.