Dual-pricing in Thailand: Is it time to do away with the ‘farang tax’?

Jonathan Fairfield

Speedtripler, you really think so?

"Charge a rich Thai 10x in the West there would be uproar and legal proceedings..."

A Thai visitor and uproar in the West?

You live in phantasie land!

I think discrimination based on race, gender,skin colour etc is illegal in most if not all western countries already and has been for a long time , if a company is found guilty of it they have to give a significant amount of money to compensate the person who made the complaint....

You must come from a different "West" than me lol

Is it really still OK to charge a Asian or brown looking person 10x the regular price for anything and that would just be acceptable where you come from ??

Edited by speedtripler

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waiter Travolta,

on www, there is a programme called GOOGLE. This is a so called search engine.

There you type in WIKIPEDIA or Wikipedia. Wikipedia is an online free-content encyclopedia.

Google will show you the link to it. It's something like www.wikipedia.com

There, you type in FARANG or farang or fAraNg (up to you) in the "search box". Don't forget to press the "Enter" key now.

And voila, you get the information.

You can get it in 9 different languages.

Or, you go back in this thread a couple of posts and you will find the link.

If you don't understand, ask again on this thread, TVMs will help you.

Aaaawww did someone not get mummys milk today?

If you get your info from wikipedia, then I would advise anyone getting into a conversation with you to take anything you say with a grain of salt ;)

Secondly, I ask on TVF as I would like to get my answers from people in the know. Perhaps someone from Thailand, maybe a fAraNg?

Thirdly, the amount of typing you have done in reply to my post, you could have politely answered my questions instead of being sarcastic?

And lastly, I take it by your lack of answers that you don't actually know the answers? Which begs the question why you bothered to waste not only my time, but your own aswell? Maybe you are just an angry fellow unhappy with life like many more on here who just seem to login to cause arguments coffee1.gif

Oh and it's Walter, not waiter

It would be a good start. I know alot of friends who wont come back ever because they felt cheated and discriminated against. Nothing right about it and it sets the stage for nations rip of the visitor day....

Serious? What, did the 200 baht national park fee break their budget?

Hope they didn't go to Malaysia, Leos, Cambodia . . .

Never bothered me, more to worry about than a few dollars; as per post above, look at it as a discount to the Thai people

Totally agree. I wish the UK would introduce it. So as my tax paid for Windsor Castle why do I need to pay again. And why people moan about paying a few pounds going into these wonderful places in Thailand is beyond me.

It is a little annoying when you live here and they try-it-on. I have gone with my Thai wife and they try to hit me up for 2 farang tickets.

(And she might be offered a secret commission for bringing the farang mug)

It is a form of discrimination plain and simple, and in modern times it has no place,

Walter (sorry for Waiter) Travolta,

if you would have read all posts or e.g. from yesterday 13.23 following, you would have got a glimpse about meaning of farang.

For a deeper search, I recommend Chula library.

So, I am afraid that you would have to put some effort by your own in it.

I am not sure if you get spoon feeding here for a scientific approach.

Speedttipler, please name us one park which you visited and give us the number of staff.

I will then verify it with a good friend of mine in the Department of Forestry.

If you can't, it's just your opinion but not fact.

I don't go to forests , I was referring to overstaffed with security guards the parks around bkk are like :

Rama9 Park

Phrathit Park

Japan-Thai Park

Lumpini park

Jatujak Park

You tell me why they pay more security guards than the central banks do when there is nothing to steal or break anyway?

parks are not the only places it happens, many places would be overstaffed in Thailand if work was evaluated by an effective manager

labour is probably so cheap they never bother to calculate how many staff are required to do x amount of work vs how many are on the payroll doing almost nothing

You will have to visit the above mentioned parks if you want the exact numbers ... I merely observed there are lots of bone idle bodies in uniforms but forgot to count them :)

Like I said, I asked on TVF because I prefer to learn from people here, I dont really think this topic is in any way scientific? If you dont like what people ask, just ignore it and move on. After all, it is a forum where people come for advice or swap ideas/thoughts and experiences. All you do is come across as b!tchy.

Im happy with what I asked and how I asked it. If you're not happy with what you read, keep your thoughts to yourself. It really is that simple biggrin.png

You are formally ignored from here on in, no love lost, stay angry I do not carecheesy.gif

if Thailand ever wants to be favorable for the EU or USA they better lose the whole term "farang" to begin with and treat all people the same.

i know what i wrote,is an open door for trolls ,let me reassure all trolls will be dealt with by the dragon

I never understand why white westerners object to the term farang. It is simply a word for a white non-Thai. If I can live with Americans calling me a Brit, when I am actually English, I can certainly stand Thais calling me a farang.

You are not English,you are a Brit unless you want devolution.Try having a discussion with our colonial brethren i.e. Ozzies and Yanks.I would never give up my nationality in favour of a country that looks down on me ( but not my money ).There are so many deniers here who have been disappointed and not found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and they are very adamant about how great this country is but in the same breath they slang of their mother land.I suspect they know they have no plan "B" and will fight tooth and nail to defend LOS,interpret as you wish.

Just for reference, when referring to Americans, you should not call a southerner a "Yank." Yanks are northerners, and those from below the Mason-Dixon Line are likely to take it very badly indeed. While I understand the history of the use of Yankee by individuals from the U.K. (however you wish to define yourself), given the Revolutionary War, I would still strongly advise you to heed my warning and not call someone from Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, or Texas (and probably not Tennessee or Kentucky either) a "Yank" due to the Civil War. Unless you want a bar fight on your hands. Then, by all means, go ahead.

Edited by Caitrin

if Thailand ever wants to be favorable for the EU or USA they better lose the whole term "farang" to begin with and treat all people the same.

i know what i wrote,is an open door for trolls ,let me reassure all trolls will be dealt with by the dragon

I never understand why white westerners object to the term farang. It is simply a word for a white non-Thai. If I can live with Americans calling me a Brit, when I am actually English, I can certainly stand Thais calling me a farang.

You are not English,you are a Brit unless you want devolution.Try having a discussion with our colonial brethren i.e. Ozzies and Yanks.I would never give up my nationality in favour of a country that looks down on me ( but not my money ).There are so many deniers here who have been disappointed and not found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and they are very adamant about how great this country is but in the same breath they slang of their mother land.I suspect they know they have no plan "B" and will fight tooth and nail to defend LOS,interpret as you wish.

Just for reference, when referring to Americans, you should not call a southerner a "Yank." Yanks are northerners, and those from below the Mason-Dixon Line are likely to take it very badly indeed. While I understand the history of the use of Yankee by individuals from the U.K. (however you wish to define yourself), given the Revolutionary War, I would still strongly advise you to heed my warning and not call someone from Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, or Texas (and probably not Tennessee or Kentucky either) a "Yank" due to the Civil War. Unless you want a bar fight on your hands. Then, by all means, go ahead.

Septic Tank wouldn't go down well then? Edited by Gringogazzer

Septic Tank wouldn't go down well then?

I imagine referring to anyone as a collector of human waste, regardless of region or nationality, would not "go down well," no.

speedtripler, what have these parks to do with dual pricing?

Aren't they for free? I never paid anything e.g. In Lumpini, did you?

When yes, you met a fraudster.

Those city ones are small in comparison to the forrest parks

I suggested maybe the money farang get overcharged goes to pay the staff wages in big parks that require more bodies ?

Not that I agree with it though that maybe a factor in it since nothing runs for free

Septic Tank wouldn't go down well then?

I imagine referring to anyone as a collector of human waste, regardless of region or nationality, would not "go down well," no.

Ok thanks.

Just Cockney rhyming slang. I remember not to use it in the states.

Walter Travolta, I am happy with what and how you asked, otherwise I wouldn't have answered.

It seems, that I'm so far the only one who answered and I think, you got reach a satisfying answer, with a bit of effort by yourself or reading the whole thread.

There is nothing like a free lunch!.

By the way, the thread title
"Dual-pricing in Thailand: Is it time to do away with the ‘farang tax’?"
is already misleading.
It is not a "farang tax" because it would mean that Japanese, Chinese, black Americans, Mexicans etc. would not pay the higher prices.
I leave it up to you to find out why.
Hint: read Wikipedia definition of farang.
Wikipedia isn't good for everything, but in this case, it works fine.
And don't worry, I'm not an angry person but I like to give sarcastic answers to questions which are just placed to keep a thread going.

But I'm very worried that I'm "formally" ignored from here on in, what ever that means.

Overpricing can be a serious amount, especially when you're paying for the whole family:

Siam Ocean World (Siam Paragon, Bangkok)

ADMISSION PRICE/ค่าเข้าชม

Adults/ผู้ใหญ่ –
Thai/คนไทย: 400 Baht
Foreigners/ชาวต่างชาติ: 900 Baht
(125% more expensive for foreigners)

Children/เด็ก –
Thai/คนไทย: 280 Baht
Foreigners/ชาวต่างชาติ: 700 Baht
(150% more expensive for foreigners)

http://www.2pricethailand.com/dual-pricing-is-scaring-tourists-away/

Not the same thing.

I hate the word.

only 2 thing to do if you want thai´s to change this

they need to feel it themself, so all outside thailand must charge 10 times the price to all thai and all going to thailand must turn there back to all places with dual pricing

Sounds simple.

Let's do it.

speedyripler, isn't there not a lot of guessing in your posts and less facts?

I mentioned already, that per definition of "farang", there iecists nothing like farang overcharging in Thailand.

It's non Thai overcharging, but zu don't like the term overcharging as it indicates for me, that it is not legally correct.

It would be a good start. I know alot of friends who wont come back ever because they felt cheated and discriminated against. Nothing right about it and it sets the stage for nations rip of the visitor day....

Never bothered me, more to worry about than a few dollars; as per post above, look at it as a discount to the Thai people

It's not about the money. It's about being discriminated against.

I do not visit any of the local attractions that have dual pricing. Period.

luudee

That's like arguing the fact that Thai people have to pay income tax in Thailand and tourists don't have to is discriminatory.

Supposedly tourist don't earn income while in Thailand, most don't work at all when visiting national tourist sites to have income that'd be taxed.

Double pricing in a way helps me, keeps me in my place literally and figuratively. It has to be a great need or desire before I go someplace that gouges me because I'm supposedly rich. Do your best to attract tourist then gouge them while they are here. I tell my friends back home to visit somewhere else for coconut trees, elephants, or temples.

Srikcir,

isn't that a private enterprise?

A glass of water can be half full or half empty

Same here:

You call it overpricing (rich) foreigners, which has a negative touch,

I call it subsidies for not so poor Thais, which has for me a positive touch.

(for poor Thais with 300 Baht daily wage, it will always be a dream to come here)

So, you will have a much better feeling when you regard the fee structure the second way

speedyripler, isn't there not a lot of guessing in your posts and less facts?

I mentioned already, that per definition of "farang", there iecists nothing like farang overcharging in Thailand.

It's non Thai overcharging, but zu don't like the term overcharging as it indicates for me, that it is not legally correct.

OK,tell us

Why farang pay more?

And what do they do with the extra cash?

Is it spent on the park or beers? :)

Please let me know if I am mistaken, aside from Tourists, but regarding Foreigners who live here, do you not pay the Thai price if you show a Thai driving license or yellow book?

Short answer.... No!! Experience has been, seen as a 'farang'; no exception whether been here long term or not. You're always a 'farang'.

I went to the zoo in Khon Kaen about two months ago and at the ticket boot the ask if I had a Thai driver license, showed it to them and got charged the same amount as the Thai that were with me

speedtripler, why should I tell you?

You made a statement with zero facts.

Guessing is not knowing.

Non Thais, that includes farangs, pay more.

You say overcharging, I say subsidies Thais, so a patt.

Why, simply it is a business model worldwide, like it or leave it - full stop.

Whatever I pay, I still think its cheap, try comparing to prices back home. If the UK government started to charge foreigners more than the its own citisens, would we complain?

Yes, I would.

this one is for vogie,you might have a case in defence of thailand if thailand had a similar heritage and historical places of interest going back thousands of years not only in the uk but europe in general.if it was allowed that they run those historical sites the same as thailand,well i will leave that up to your immagination.i think vogie is a perfect expat apologist for thailand and he is well of out of his home country.he certainly will not be missed.

I am a British citizen but have never worked in England and therefore not entitled to anything. I am regarded as an alien. If I go back I won't receive any help, pension or whatever, yet immigrants arrive from other countries and get looked after.

I have lived in Thailand for so long that I I regard it as my home yet ... I am regarded as an alien.

Also why do you people always say "oh it is so cheap compared with my country"?

One of the reasons that Thais now have dual pricing and charge farangs more is that attitude. Oh I can tip 100 Baht ... that's only XXX in my country. Maybe, but that is what has driven prices up here.

Perhaps you should relies your a 2nd class citizen of the U.K and a 2nd class resident of Thailand. Not nice, but that is the reality.

It's not about the money. It's about being discriminated against.

I do not visit any of the local attractions that have dual pricing. Period.

luudee

When purchasing items - w/out the Mrs. - I do not consider an item if there is NO listed price. When the Mrs. is with... and no listed price she "takes over." lol

The discrimination goes beyond this. As an expat, try to acquire an investment product that pays a good interest rate, you will be refused even if you show long term residence.

I don't understand why our "home countries" don't address these issues. Hell in USA anyone can buy anything e.g. land/house/business/ etc. <deleted>?