Coffee Shops Chiang Mai 2015 ?

freedomnow

Had a quick search but could not find any up-to-date info on new or OBSCURE QUALITY independent coffee places.

If you have found any new ones please add to the list...

Best I've found in 3 years living here in Fabulous Coffee Roasters under Baan Ramida guest house on Moon Muang Soi 7.

Pacamara was a staple of my living here for long enough due to their unique blend of Thai/South American beans....the place is small, but the barista won the same national competition as Pacamara and Ristr8to....difference being his cups range from 25-35 Baht....he prices for locals not touristas....

Unfortunately, I've passed the place a million times and it is just so unassuming that I've missed it until now. facepalm.gif Killer Piccolo Lattes..

Better late than never.

Any other obscure places with magic beans ?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All a matter of personal taste.if you were to sample a coffee at every outlet in CM these days might take you a few months.

The coffee shop explosion is just absurd.We buy our beans at Alti way south on Hang Dong roasted on the premises.

Probaly on fb or Mr Google.You can sample at the Pancake House behind Mae Hia market

Best coffee in Chiang Mai if not all of Thailand.

http://www.akhaama.com

Must have had a bad one, went to both shops and nothing special.

Used to be good 2 or 3 years ago in Santhitham.

But since then they tripled their prices and halved their quality.

The one near Wat Phrasat was never any good.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I like this place.

coffee.jpg

Went last weekend. Loud, bad service and crazy prices... They think they are in the center of Paris or what???

Also they had construction all around...

Thais are queued up sometimes 12 people to buy the coffee there....

I like this place.

coffee.jpg

Went last weekend. Loud, bad service and crazy prices... They think they are in the center of Paris or what???

Also they had construction all around...

Thais are queued up sometimes 12 people to buy the coffee there....

Service and coffee was great when I was there.

What I liked about Fabulous Coffee Roasters is I could dial in my blend of in particular, Piccolo Latte...vs 1-size fits all house blends..

P_20151010_154718.jpg

Bean on the left is going towards African style sour (Old School), bean on right is chocolately (Crack Down)...after multiple experiments I found 30% sour / 70% chocolatey had it nailed for ME...and best thing is I can get 3 of them (dead cert. insomnia?) for the price of a Ristr8to at Central Festival !

It matches Pacamara's South American/Thai blend for full taste, but in a different way...nice !

Edited by freedomnow

What I liked about Fabulous Coffee Roasters is I could dial in my blend of in particular, Piccolo Latte...vs 1-size fits all house blends..

P_20151010_154718.jpg

Bean on the left is going towards African style sour (Old School), bean on right is chocolately (Crack Down)...after multiple experiments I found 30% sour / 70% chocolatey had it nailed for ME...and best thing is I can get 3 of them (dead cert. insomnia?) for the price of a Ristr8to at Central Festival !

It matches Pacamara's South American/Thai blend for full taste, but in a different way...nice !

is Fabulous on Nimmanheiman at Suthep? their facebook page says "permanently closed"??

Fabulous Coffee Roasters under Baan Ramida guest house on Moon Muang Soi 7....inside moat north-east corner.

P_20151010_154718.jpg

is Fabulous on Nimmanheiman at Suthep? their facebook page says "permanently closed"??

Best coffee in Chiang Mai if not all of Thailand.

http://www.akhaama.com

Must have had a bad one, went to both shops and nothing special.

Used to be good 2 or 3 years ago in Santhitham.

But since then they tripled their prices and halved their quality.

The one near Wat Phrasat was never any good.

Only ever been to the Santitham branch, and it's still the same, same top quality coffee, no change at all, it's gone from 500 baht to 600 baht a kilogram. Still much cheaper than anything half as good.

Only ever been to the Santitham branch, and it's still the same, same top quality coffee, no change at all, it's gone from 500 baht to 600 baht a kilogram. Still much cheaper than anything half as good.

I prefer to buy my coffee by the cup ........ and they used to charge 25-30bht/cup.

Which is the topic of this thread.

Off topic

If I want beans, 120bht/kilo for shucked green beans at the HMong Village beyond Doi Suthep.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

FABB on the Canal Road is pretty good (though very expensive and a bit touristy)- they use frozen coffee cubes in their iced drinks, which is a nice touch as they don't get watery.

https://www.facebook.com/fabbcoffeeroasters

Sounded interesting I thought, but must be for the vips only. My "american" ice coffee was just the same as any other american ice coffee, apart from costing double++.

FABB on the Canal Road is pretty good (though very expensive and a bit touristy)- they use frozen coffee cubes in their iced drinks, which is a nice touch as they don't get watery.

Sounded interesting I thought, but must be for the vips only. My "american" ice coffee was just the same as any other american ice coffee, apart from costing double++.

Well, I did say 'very expensive'.;)

I like their lattes and their atmosphere, but it's not a place I head to daily due to the price- it's one of the nicer shops I've seen in CM, though.

Hey- they gave you a cookie, didn't they?:)

Well, I did say 'very expensive'.wink.png

I like their lattes and their atmosphere, but it's not a place I head to daily due to the price- it's one of the nicer shops I've seen in CM, though.

Hey- they gave you a cookie, didn't they?smile.png

Nope, no cookie either. Perhaps they didn't like me.

The intensified competition within a saturated market tends to open up new and inventive ways of selling or marketing the same old product...

check out this coffee shop that opened last Dec. on Canal Road(121) - Mao Coffee - After a slight south bound curve (easy to blow by) about 1km before the Mae Hia intersection.

post-129987-0-93817700-1445576066_thumb.

post-129987-0-85714000-1445576078_thumb.