Coffee Shops Chiang Mai 2015 ?

freedomnow

There's a great coffee shop across the street from Chiang Mai Gate, at that very busy intersection where Wulai Rd takes off on a diagonal. There's a big coffee cup outside looking like it's steaming. They roast their own beans, that they grow themselves in a family operation out in the hills. Good people, local, not expensive. And the coffee is very good. They also sell their own beans.

Haven't seen any "nomads" there.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HaHa.

How do you guys know they are (the much hated by retirees on TV) 'digital nomads' ?

Why can't they just be people with computers emailing instead of digital nomads building their evil empires of freedom from workplace enslavement before age 50 ?

As a coffee heathen (English tea is so much nicer to me), I tend to enjoy iced coffee more. Restr8to do make a lovely drop but one of my local places has recently changed hands and their iced mocha coffees have gone from being poor to superb. Can't remember the name, but its on Sirimangkalajarn, just a few steps away from Soi 13.

As a coffee heathen (English tea is so much nicer to me), I tend to enjoy iced coffee more. Restr8to do make a lovely drop but one of my local places has recently changed hands and their iced mocha coffees have gone from being poor to superb. Can't remember the name, but its on Sirimangkalajarn, just a few steps away from Soi 13.

Getting someone to make a proper iced mocha here is as bad as going to a dentist with a toothache. They make extra, extra drawn out, very long shots of coffee to fill the cup (after 22 seconds of a double shot, your just then just raping the coffee and making dishwater slosh) and then they add 'chocolate' sauce instead of proper chocolate.

Not too many shops here can make a good Mocha and then I have seen some use that "Dutch Chocolate" from Tesco with carnation milk that is just pure rubbish.

While we're discussing Mocha coffee drinks and though I've never had the pleasure to enjoy one I'd like to point out that often here Mocha coffee bean blends are not flavored coffee beans but beans that are recommended for making Mocha Coffee.

It took me years to figure this out when buying Hillkopf's Mocha beans which I rather like but I don't particularly care for added flavor anything including Pumpkin Beer and Teriyaki Pretzels.

While we're discussing Mocha coffee drinks and though I've never had the pleasure to enjoy one I'd like to point out that often here Mocha coffee bean blends are not flavored coffee beans but beans that are recommended for making Mocha Coffee.

It took me years to figure this out when buying Hillkopf's Mocha beans which I rather like but I don't particularly care for added flavor anything including Pumpkin Beer and Teriyaki Pretzels.

You don't like wasabi peanuts??

I get my beans bought down from Chiang Rai and roast myself.

What's wrong with the beans grown at Doi Pui and Doi Saket?

(100bht/Kg unshelled, 120bht/Kg shelled)

Better terroir in Chiang Rai. Doesn't everyone know that?

Photo of a group lever enclosed...

I think they're getting more common. The new coffeeshop on Charoen Prathet Road (just up from the Iron Bridge) also has one.

Alti coffee is the best I've had, and the best price. Arabica grown at altitude area Doi Inthanon. English owner, Albert.

3 levels of day roasting: clear, brown and dark.

400b kilo.

Also sold at YOK supermarket.

post-234089-0-50906000-1450956306_thumb.

Edited by happy Joe

How many decent coffeeshops are there in CM city?

No-one can obviously answer that as it is so subjective....but I found about a 1 in 20 hit rate for great barista brews before....and price is not an indicator of quality.

So I hate getting an awful one and pouring it away if I take-out, hence the shared pool of info here.

Only ever been to the Santitham branch, and it's still the same, same top quality coffee, no change at all, it's gone from 500 baht to 600 baht a kilogram. Still much cheaper than anything half as good.

I prefer to buy my coffee by the cup ........ and they used to charge 25-30bht/cup.

Which is the topic of this thread.

Off topic

If I want beans, 120bht/kilo for shucked green beans at the HMong Village beyond Doi Suthep.

Had a great coffee at Khun Bee's up at Mae Win. 10 baht

Alti coffee is the best I've had, and the best price. Arabica grown at altitude area Doi Inthanon. English owner, Albert.
3 levels of day roasting: clear, brown and dark.
400b kilo.
Also sold at YOK supermarket.

Correction: Dutch owner. Albert