Buying 2nd hand car with engine trouble... what can I do?

streboris

I see, it was one of those mysterious type leaks with no symptoms whatsoever? coffee1.gif Yep...........rolleyes.gif

Other than the disappearance of water from the radiator.

Many moons ago I had a similar problem with a petrol engined vehicle. It became bad enough that water was obvious emerging from the exhaust, but of course that wasn't visible when driving.

I see, it was one of those mysterious type leaks with no symptoms whatsoever? coffee1.gif Yep...........rolleyes.gif

If there were no symptoms, there wouldn't have been a problem...

It was a hairline crack letting a tiny amount of exhaust gases into the water. The water was going from the rad to the expansion pot, but not syphening back.

The pipe to the expansion pot was then whisping a tiny amount of steam into the water, in the expansion pot.

A/C got warm when the level in the rad got too low

No other obvious symptoms...

No water in the oil

No oil in the water

No foam or bubbles in the rad

No smoke or steam from the exhaust

With the A/C condensor being in front of the radiator, it ws difficult to tell if it was a cooling problem effecting the A/C or an A/C problem effecting the cooling.

The previous owner had just spent a few quid on the A/C system including a new compressor, so maybe his mechanics were having the same difficulty diagnosing the problem.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

It's good you found the problem ...... but do yourself a favor !!

go find the nearest cliff edge and slowly push it over, you'll feel so great for the experience !!

then head down to the Chevrolet dealership and get a new Colorado with all the bells & whistles, you will be ecstatic ....clap2.gif

It's good you found the problem ...... but do yourself a favor !!

go find the nearest cliff edge and slowly push it over, you'll feel so great for the experience !!

then head down to the Chevrolet dealership and get a new Colorado with all the bells & whistles, you will be ecstatic ....clap2.gif

You should have added that the OP should jump out before the truck starts getting airborne for a few seconds.

A visit at Mitsubishi might change his mind as well. There're some really nice new Triton available.

Toyota, the poor man's choice? thumbsup.gif

No smoke either

When looking at you Avatar, you seem to enjoy smoking? Could be the reason that you didn't see the other smoke coming out of your exhaust....

Best of luck for your lady killer truck. Don't forget to install some fancy lights under the truck, please........biggrin.png

post-158336-0-35965100-1445180703_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan

No smoke either

When looking at you Avatar, you seem to enjoy smoking? Could be the reason that you didn't see the other smoke coming out of your exhaust....

Best of luck for your lady killer truck. Don't forget to install some fancy lights under the truck, please........biggrin.png

Don't smoke... never have...

Lady killer truck? lol. You think a flash car, to attract the ladies, would be a good investment?

Well got distracted by my son in the midst of my edit so lost my reply.

But in essence what I said was that it should have had evidence of water overflowing where the tank overflow is then since water has to be displaced somewhere and there would have been bubbles in the tank too, so like I said there is ALWAYS visible symptoms. But good you found it after the fact, now I'd consider what some of the other posters have said and think about reselling it on as you've no idea how long this has been an issue and how much damage it's already done but based on other clues you've provided it sounds like it's been an ongoing issue for possibly some time.

In regards to Crossy's post, it is true that seeing smoke out the back is sometimes not possible from inside the cab which is why you should always have someone in the cab while you watch it from outside when they throttle up.

the next problem will be a broken flux capacitor. I bought a car in BKK and they told me the fix was new tires. didn't work. so then they said new windshield to fix the broken tail light. when i left, the cracked timing belt went into the heads and the car exploded......

luckily i was on the roof drinking...

coffee1.gif

i'm guessing no lemon law in Thailand....no way...i think in America you have to take it back three times...

i'll check back...

good luck

Get your radiator and the rest of the cooling system checked (and parts replaced as necessary) as well. A lack of adequate cooling is a common cause of a cracked cylinder head.

The thermostat had been gutted, so i'm presuming it had failed and the engine overheated, probably when the head cracked... somebody did a quick fix by cutting the guts out of the thermostat...

I replaced the thermostat, but now I'm wondering if engines really need a thermostat in this climate. Was it better to leave the gutted, permanently open thermostat in, so there's no chance of it failing again? In this climate there's no real need to bypass the rad to warm the engine.

Leave your thermostat inside. Winter's coming soon.

Taking a thermostat out, that’s working, is plain stupid,even in Lost Of Smiles Land. facepalm.gif

It’s there for an important reason; it’s role is to maintain an even and correct engine temperature. Without it in place this vital aspect is not possible and things go wrong.

The basics are that if it’s taken out, the cooling fluid takes the path of least resistance and is allowed to bypass the rear part of the engine. All of this fluid gets cooled down quickly by the radiator. The front part of the engine runs cold and the rear part runs hot. Metal does not like being at dissimilar temps and to make things worse, most engines are made of dissimilar metals. All expanding and contracting at different rates.

The temp gauge sender being on the front part of the engine sends a cold signal to the gauge. Generally nothing will be noticed until the gasket that seals the head to the block (normally dissimilar metals) fails! There is a reason why temp gauges have a middle, NORMAL temperature position.

Edited by lostinisaan

the next problem will be a broken flux capacitor. I bought a car in BKK and they told me the fix was new tires. didn't work. so then they said new windshield to fix the broken tail light. when i left, the cracked timing belt went into the heads and the car exploded......

luckily i was on the roof drinking...

coffee1.gif

i'm guessing no lemon law in Thailand....no way...i think in America you have to take it back three times...

i'll check back...

good luck

No lemon law in the states for used vehicles and to have it honored on new it has to be the same issue more than thrice.