Another arrest warrant issued for fugitive Thaksin Shinawatra

webfact

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the current government really wants him back. His presence would be a huge distraction and cause multiple problems. He would be in the news every day while he either fought in the courts for his freedom and his minions were energized,to take to the streets. This would cause a reaction by the military that may not be so easy to handle without violence., Should he come back there would be his own security issue. If you remember what happened to Aquino in the Philippines- his arrival at Manila airport was greeted by violence.

I don't think the current government really wants him back. His presence would be a huge distraction and cause multiple problems. He would be in the news every day while he either fought in the courts for his freedom and his minions were energized,to take to the streets. This would cause a reaction by the military that may not be so easy to handle without violence., Should he come back there would be his own security issue. If you remember what happened to Aquino in the Philippines- his arrival at Manila airport was greeted by violence.

I think you are 100% correct. It does however make a bit of a mockery of those fanbois who love to harp on about him being on the run. Can you be on the run if no-one is attempting to catch you and would in fact prefer you to stay away?

Lawsuit Filed by the "ARMY".... Its like they're afraid to put anyones name in...

Even worse, the charges are vague like in all defamation cases due to reporting defamation evidence being defamation under LOS' convoluted system of selective enforcement.

Have you personally actually read all the charges in Thai and have read up and understood all the laws appertaining to the subject?

If you have please post a literal word for word transcript on TVF.

To do that you must be fluent in reading and writing Thai, have studied Thai law for a few years and passed the examinations and are a fully qualified lawyer and be allowed to practice law in Thailand. Which university did you graduate from?

Wow. Amazing arrowsdawdle. I am impressed.

Interpol would never act just like other countries would never extradite because they're not "real" crimes other than political charges brought on by upset politicians from the opposing parties. All the other countries know that and therefore ignore any attempts as just hot air from disgruntled politicians.

If they were not "real" crimes then why did Thaksin flee after being found guilty.

You would think that with all his money he could afford the best lawyers in the world to defend him.

Also if they were not "real" crimes then why would he need an amnesty?

These people are absolutely shit scared of Taksin or utterly stupid. They are clearly not going to get him in a jail anytime so maybe their fear has led to blind stupidity.

Well there's a substantive post with some nice structured comment.

Lawsuit Filed by the "ARMY".... Its like they're afraid to put anyones name in...

Even worse, the charges are vague like in all defamation cases due to reporting defamation evidence being defamation under LOS' convoluted system of selective enforcement.

Have you personally actually read all the charges in Thai and have read up and understood all the laws appertaining to the subject?

If you have please post a literal word for word transcript on TVF.

To do that you must be fluent in reading and writing Thai, have studied Thai law for a few years and passed the examinations and are a fully qualified lawyer and be allowed to practice law in Thailand. Which university did you graduate from?

Wow. Amazing arrowsdawdle. I am impressed.

Your point is well-taken, but you went a little off the deep end. A farang is not allowed to apply for membership to the Thai Bar Association nor is a farang allowed to render any legal advice to clients or appear in court. While foreigners with permanent residency may engage in the "prohibited occupations", this exception does not apply to the practice of law. So, to ask if he has done so is unnecessary.

Personally, I have a real degree in law, not a bachelor's of law, which is all that is required to practice law in Thailand. That means 3 additional years of university work after earning a 4-year bachelor degree and I passed bar examinations in two states in the U.S. I work at one of the largest law firms in Thailand as a consultant. I know Thai law better than most of the Thai lawyers at my firm, and the majority of them earned a 1 year LLM in the States. There's just no comparison between what is expected of a lawyer in a common law jurisdiction, and what Thai law students learn by rote-memorization of their codes. There's a bare bones reporting system for Thai Supreme Court cases, and most of the decisions are not certified to be precedents.

In Thailand, all of the codes were drafted by people who lacked training in precise writing. Moreover, the actual language, particularly Thai legal phraseology, prevents the laws from possessing the specificity which would be required in English speaking jurisdictions. Vague laws, particularly criminal statutes, are invalid in English speaking jurisdictions whereas they are the norm in Thailand. And the powers that be like it that way, because it gives judges unbridled discretion to render decisions to conform to their personal bias.

I am currently studying Thai legal writing from a Thai lawyer. I am intermediate level in spoken and written Thai, but legal writing uses different vocabulary, just like in English.

Therefore, to properly understand Thai legal language, doesn't require attendance at a Thai university or being accepted as a member of the Thai Bar Association or the Law Society of Thailand. Instead, it requires learning how to properly read and write Thai legal language.

The laws of defamation in Thailand are incredibly vague. Almost any offense can be prosecuted as long as the plaintiff can plead the defendant used "bad words", or published something that put the plaintiff in a bad light. Truth is a defense to a civil defamation case, but not a defense to a criminal defamation case. For that reason, defamation cases are filed willy-nilly by those who can afford the legal fees to do so. You can read a fairly good summary here: http://www.thailandlaw.org/defamation-in-thailand.html Frankly, it's a joke.

Defamation in Thailand is defined as a false statement that is generally classified as intentional and harmful and made by a person against another whether orally or in writing. Civil defamation is a statement made contrary to the truth which is asserted or circulated as a fact which is injurious to the reputation or credit of another or his earnings or prosperity in any other manner. Criminal defamation is a statement made by a person who imputes anything to another in a manner which is likely to impair the reputation of the latter or to expose him to hatred or contempt.
Edited by zaphod reborn

Thank you for your explanation regarding Thai laws and how they are interpreted and written. It leaves an incredible amount of power in the hands of Thai judges and without precedents to follow - it seems somewhat difficult to maneuver through the legal system.

RE zaphod reborn post #102

I think all that legal training you have had missed out on or overlooked gentle sarcasm.

Out of curiosity why are there so many legal firms, some advertised here on TV with farang lawyers if they are not allowed to practise law?

So how many arrest warrants are now in force?

Any country, other than Thailand would be investigating ways / methods of extraditing a criminal - especially when you know where the bolthole is and said criminal is flitting around the world more than likely into countries that have extradition agreements with Thailand.

Another slow news day.

if you have enough money you can do anything thumbsup.gif

The junta sure do seem to be keeping Thaksin very much in he public eye, despite telling the press otherwise!!

Citing he damaged their reputation 555555

They had one to begin with? The clown show continues, they really are such a sensitive bunch this Army, how they'd ever cope in a time of real conflict amuses me.

"Stop shooting bullets at us, they hurt"!!

I'm all for Thaksin being brought to court but not for rubbish like this.

If he doesn't appear in court, suspend his passport and freeze any of his remaining assets in Thailand until he does appear. If he feels he is not guilty as charged, he can appear and fight the charges. Fairly simple I would have thought.

If he doesn't appear in court, suspend his passport and freeze any of his remaining assets in Thailand until he does appear. If he feels he is not guilty as charged, he can appear and fight the charges. Fairly simple I would have thought.

I think his assetts are well beyond the reach of confiscation or the general would have taken them already....

I think his assetts are well beyond the reach of confiscation or the general would have taken them already....

Unfortunately I would have to agree sad.png

It seems that wherever there is corruption involving money, those suspects never have their assets frozen and therefore have a chance to hide them before any trial. coffee1.gif