Hero Thai fisherman rescues Norwegian couple from sinking mud

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another example of the kindness and graciousness of the Thai people. After witnessing so many times Thai's being mistreated and trying to be taken advantage of by greedy and selfish Westerners, it is a wonder there are so many Thai's that still have that amazing and endearing demeanor of friendship, good natureship, and respect for other people.

I'm a westerner and I never tried to take advantage of a Thai. I am sure that many Thais have a good memory of me, my wife and my son. I've also met lots of of westerners volunteering in Thailand.

You are painting a bad picture of westerners. We are not all the same.

Done more for the image of Thailand in 6 minutes than the TAT or the government have domne in decades.

I agree with you all the way,......! he's name should be mentioned in many post on TV....Respect !!!...Mr Chat Ubonchinda ...!!!!!!

Best regards.

The fisherman didd what the vast majority of working class people , who understood the problem and a solution would have done . Thailand has lots of good people as does the rest of the world, give credit where its due. Good on fisherman, he gets several attaboys for helping.

On the other hand the people who walked out into deep mud need some local help to cross a busy street if this is their normal approach to the unknown.of nature they follow. (If this had been quicik sand or the depth of mude had been deeper, buth could have died.). Some people seem to get into situations that indicate they need a full time minder after the leave the security of their parents home and guidence.

Agree on all counts.. i watched the vdo, note , the Thai guy is just walking on the mud, quickly, not to get trapped. Note, how the light-weighted lady is easily rescued, while the old, overweight man takes quite some effort to get out.

Had it been quicksand, probably a rope would have been thrown to the couple, but obviously the locals know it's just mud.

Hero is a bit exaggerated IMHO, nice gesture though.

We have the person filming this and probably other spectators that only see this as entertainment, that also could have waded in and assisted the couple.

I think if not for the fisherman, the others would have waited for the demise of the couple and then uploaded the footage onto utube and facebook in the hope of archiving the most views and likes. Its become a sad world.

We have the person filming this and probably other spectators that only see this as entertainment, that also could have waded in and assisted the couple.

I think if not for the fisherman, the others would have waited for the demise of the couple and then uploaded the footage onto utube and facebook in the hope of archiving the most views and likes. Its become a sad world.

Really?

Edited by wooloomooloo

I wouldn't go so far as calling him a "hero", but Ubonchinda deserves a standing ovation nevertheless. It's selfless people like him who still give me hope for this country.

'I wouldn't go so far as calling him a "hero"'

Yes, that's the important thing to take away from the story ... whether or not the semantics meet your approval,

" ...people like him who still give me hope for this country. "

How patronizing and egocentric.

The man is a hero, one in a million, any of you armchair pundits who disagree are brain dead.

Looking at the photograph in the lead story, I get the impression the Norwegian man and his Thai wife (?), who were struggling in the mud, are talking to the man who rescued them, some time after the actual rescue.

Or have I got the wrong impression?

The video taken on this whole scene raises some questions with me. Seems professional.

The operator was more interested in the shot than giving a hand,

In case it is a true story kodos to the fisherman.

I'm sorry to disappoint you but I know this guy is Norwegian and it is not staged .

Please stop the Thai bashing and read the published articles .

The Norwegian gave the fisherman 10000 baht , first he refused but they insisted he should keep it , the latest story is here:

http://www.thairath.co.th/content/532927

I wouldn't go so far as calling him a "hero", but Ubonchinda deserves a standing ovation nevertheless. It's selfless people like him who still give me hope for this country.

Would you have done what he did and take the chance you might also get stuck? If not, then either he's a hero or you're a coward.

well done bravery thai style i bet his wife is kicking his ass now you did what for zero baht???

Congratulations on being the first clown to try to put a negative and derisive slant on this report of two people probably having their lives saved.

What is "bravery Thai style"?

yeah right

So you agree he's right then.

Tourists thank Krabi man for rescue

KRABI:-- A NORWEGIAN couple, whose rescue by a local man in Krabi province after being stuck in mud was recorded in a video clip that went viral, Saturday met and thanked their rescuer.

The tourists were brought by Krabi provincial governor Pinit Boonlert and Muang Krabi municipality mayor Kiratisak Phukaoluan to meet Chat Ubonjinda, 44, a worker who sets foundation pillars, to thank him in person at his home in Muang district yesterday morning.

Chat encountered and helped the tourists, who were stuck in knee-deep mud, while sailing his boat for fish in the Krabi River. According to the clip that was first posted on the Facebook page of Theerasak Saksritawee, Chat let the couple step on him to get out of the mud.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-18

Krabi fisherman widely praised for helping a couple of foreign tourists

KRABI:-- A good Samaritan who voluntarily came to the rescue of a couple of elderly Norwegian tourists who got stuck in deep mud in Krabi was widely praised after his a video clip of his heroic act was posted on the social media.

The Samaritan, Mr Pichit Ubonchinda, a fisherman in Krabi, left his small fishing boat to rush to the rescue of the couple stuck in the mud beside the Krabi river in Tambon Paknam, Muang district of Krabi on Friday.

Pichit initially relieved them of their backpack, a camera attached to the tripod and then tried unsuccessfully to pull the couple, one after another, out of the mud.

Then he threw himself face down on the muddy floor to allow, firstly the female tourist, to climb on his back to free herself from the mud and, later on, for the other to do likewise. When the two tourists managed to walk by themselves to safety, Pichit left the scene without asking for anything in return.

However, Pichit’s heroics were video-recorded by Teerasak Saksritawee who eventually posted the clip in his Facebook page. The clip registered several tens of thousands views and likes.

Krabi governor Pinit Boonlert on Saturday led the tourist couple to see Pichit at his home and awarded him with cash and a bouquet of flowers as a gesture of appreciation for his good deed.

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-10-18

The Norwegian gave the fisherman 10000 baht

Well, that's a lot better than the typical 200 baht that tight-ar*ed tourists give to taxi drivers who have just returned their missing 500,000 baht coffee1.gif

Always someone willing to turn an all round feel good story into westerner/tourist bashing.

Why wouldnt you? He put his own life at risk to help them. Maybe you have different requirements for the word Hero but I think he was.

well done bravery thai style i bet his wife is kicking his ass now you did what for zero baht???

Congratulations on being the first clown to try to put a negative and derisive slant on this report of two people probably having their lives saved.

What is "bravery Thai style"?

Personally, I find your comment more negative.

Here is a guy making a humorous comment in TV which is renowned for humour and you are trying to get 5 minutes of fame by slagging him off.

Get a life.

The same thing happened to me and my Thai girlfriend in Krabi.the mud was above our knees and I couldn't free myself.for about 30 minutes we were stuck.i managed to lift my girlfriend up and then she help get me out.a few Farang onlookers that offered no help.i ,m sure if a Thai had seen us we would have been out quicker.Well done Thai man.