Phuket Veg Fest Day 5: 'Spirit mediums' undeterred by health office warnings about bloody piercings

Jonathan Fairfield

Phuket Veg Fest Day 5: 'Spirit mediums' undeterred by health office warnings about bloody piercings

1445083038_1.jpg

PHUKET: Hundreds of “Ma Song” – spirit mediums – were not deterred by warnings by the Phuket Health Office urging them not to get gruesome piercings in observance of ceremonial rites for the Phuket Vegetarian Festival, taking place this week.

Officials have warned that unsanitized piercings could lead to the transmission of viruses such as HIV, as well death from loss of blood, especially for those fatigued from participating in the strict vegan practices during the nine day festival which concludes on Thursday.

Today was the 5th day of the Vegetarian Festival, and the fourth day for conducting the “Ew Keng” ceremonial processesions, was kicked off this morning by the revellers from the Jeng Hong shrine, who assembled in front of Vachira Phuket Hospital and the Tha Reua Shrine of Thalang, in the area in front of Wat Phutthamonkol Nimit temple in Phuket Town's Talad Yai.

The procession carried on throughout town, as worshipers paraded sacred Chinese emporer deity statues, accompanied by “possessed” Ma Song spirit mediums who drew attention from thousands of onlookers – Thai and foreign – who lined the streets to catch a glimpse of the gruesome facial piercings with sharp objects and weapons including everything from samurai swords to full bicycles.

- See more at: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-veg-fest-day-5-spirit-mediums-undeterred-by-health-office-warnings-about-bloody-piercings-54586.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-10-18

Idiotic photo - just rediculous.

Reading some comments on foreign websites it would seem that many around the world would agree with you.

I know it brings in the tourists but it makes many think Phuket ( and Thailand) is full of "idiots or savages" ( their words not mine).

Personally I love the vegetarian part of the festival but hate the spirit medium part, voodoo and hocus pocus is not something I want to be near or look at.

As for "health warnings" they're wasting their breath, you can't tell these people anything blink.png .