i-Mobile IQ II

Maestro

I'm looking to get a new smartphone for Christmas, and don't want to spend a silly amount for the privilege.

I've been looking at the IQ II, but have been a bit put off by various of the issues raised here -- only 1 GB of RAM, so-so-camera, poor GPS, no compass, gyro or NFC, and, to a lesser extent, its absence of any 3G or LTE frequency bands other than the few key ones used in Thailand (850-2100 Mhz 3G, and 2100 and 1800 Mhz LTE).

As an alternative, I've been looking instead at the newly released ASUS Zenfone 2 Laser KE500KL, which currently can be found new for under 5,000b. The listing below from GSMArena is correct for this model in terms of specs, except for (for some reason) the battery for this model actually being a lesser 2070 mAh, and not the 2400 mAh GSMArena lists.

http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_zenfone_2_laser_ze500kl-7474.php

http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_ifa_2015_hands_on_review-review-1292p6.php

Everything I've read says its a nice mid-level specs LTE phone (6 LTE bands vs. 2 on the IQ II) for a bargain price: 5 inch IPS display at 294 ppi with a Gorillla Glass 4 screen, 16 GB ROM, 2 GM RAM, SD card up to 128 GB, dual SIM, removable battery, 13 and 5 Mpx cameras, Lollipop OS with Marshmallow coming, these latest ASUS models now use the Snapdragon processor instead of their Intel predecessors, and GPS with A-GPS and GLONASS.

The only downsides I've read are the issue of ASUS loading up the OS with their own Zen UI apps (which hopefully is offset by this model having 2 GB RAM), and then questions about whether the 2070 mAh battery is enough for the 5 inch display in terms of making it thru a full day of use. But the battery is removable, so that partially mitigates the battery question.

All in all, seems like a very viable challenger to the IQ II on the features for price metric, not to mention ASUS in Thailand seemingly having as good or better a reputation than I-Mobile for build quality. Though I'd be surprised to see any OS updates from ASUS for that Lollipop model beyond the soon arriving Marshmallow update.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I tried using my IQ II for my main phone and doesn't work well enough. GPS is goofy, sometimes doesn't find my location, jumps around etc.,airplane mode turns on random, also Bluetooth. apps are opening slow now, maybe due to 1gb memory, didn't seem to be this way before 6.01 update, but i just recently tried it as my main phone.

I will be looking at other phones. the idea was great, and I liked the idea of current OS with no bloatware, but the hardware seems to be getting in the way.

will look at the ASUS Zenfone 2 Laser KE500KL today, was hoping for good battery life tho, so that may not be an option. hope to keep it in the 10k baht range. can go a bit more I guess.

the bloated UI is hard to buy into.

Edited by mitebbots

Re the ASUS UI, it does indeed come with a lot of bloatware apps. However, I bought an ASUS LTE tablet earlier this year (my first ASUS mobile device purchase) and disctovered they actually have at least one good app among all the others -- and that's an ASUS app that allows you to select on an app by app basis those you do NOT want to run in the background at startup.

Most of the ASUS apps you cannot uninstall, at least not without rooting the device. But you can disable apps via the App menu and disable auto run for others so they don't use battery and/or RAM in the background.

Both the ASUS Online Store Thailand and ITrueMart.com have been advertising the 5.5 in ZE550KL for 5,990b on special, but both are now showing those sold out for all colors, at least as of last night. However, True still has in stock the 5 in. ZE500KL model for 4990b, and then take off an additional 10% using an online coupon they're showing on the product's webpage.

Unfortunately, the difference between the two Zenfone 2 Laser models I'm mentioning is the 5 in version has a 2070 mAh battery, whereas the sold out 5.5 in version has a 3000 mAh battery. In hindsight, I wish I had moved quicker and bought the 5.5 in model from True before it sold out, because it also had the 10% coupon promo, which would have brought the final cost down to about 5400b.

The True promo on the ASUS models is due to continue thru Dec. 18, but I don't know whether they'll re-stock the 5.5 in model anytime before their promo ends. Meanwhile, InvadeIT's website is showing they have the 5.5 inch model for 5990b baht -- without any 10% discount coupon.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

No...I wasn't saying that, just that the online store ITrueMart has a 10% discount offer on top of their already sale price on the two models.

I looked around yesterday for the 550 at other Thai mobile stores via their websites, and didn't have much luck.

One thing I didn't know beforehand, is ASUS doesn't have their own retail shops in Thailand for mobile phones, so it's all going to be dealers for their products.

You can also buy direct from the ASUS Online store for Thailand, but the purchasing process for that requires that you be able to read Thai, since the purchasing portion of the website has no EN option at all.

Here's the InvadeIT page for the 550 at 5990b:

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/smartphones/asus/zenfone-2-laser-black-16gb-4g-lte-ze550kl-p025898/http://www.siamphone.com/spec/en/asus/zenfone_2_laser_%28ze550kl%29.htm

Having used the the i-Mobile IQ II for seven weeks now I agree that it's GPS function is close to useless. I've also noticed that the OS got a lot slower, apparently since the update, like another poster already mentioned.

Having used the the i-Mobile IQ II for seven weeks now I agree that it's GPS function is close to useless.

Try downloading GPS TEST by Chartcross Limited,

I've found that at least 3 satellites need to simultaneously register 30+ signal level for about five second before the IQ II obtains a 'fix', or position lock. Once 'fixed' then lower signal levels can be tolerated. GPS 'FIX' should then be quicker on subsequent attempts.

I've found it works best it GPS TEST is the only GPS diagnostic app installed, and it may also help if you have a live Internet connection at the beginning so the device has live access to aGPS predictive data to speed positioning calculations. Once the IQ II has obtained a 'fix' a few times it should be able to do so again even without a live Internet connection available (but it depends on how dated the working copy of the predictive data its currently using).

I previously used GPS Status and Toolbox on my other android GPS-capable devices which worked great, but it doesn't seem to help with the IQ II running Marshmallow. Even with green signal bars displayed 'GPS Status and Toolbox' won't provide me a FIX.

Edited by RichCor

Having used the the i-Mobile IQ II for seven weeks now I agree that it's GPS function is close to useless.

Unfortunately that's a common trait of many cheap Mediatek-based devices.

The Mediatek chip isn't the brightest kid on the block when it comes to GPS, and lousy build quality, poor GPS antenna and/or poor connection to said antenna on the motherboard does the rest.

No software "fix" does miracles.

Sometimes, pushing on the right spot (usually one of the top corners) at the back of the phone does wonders because this, at least, helps the poor connection.

The Mediatek chip isn't the brightest kid on the block when it comes to GPS, and lousy build quality, poor GPS antenna and/or poor connection to said antenna on the motherboard does the rest.

Sometimes, pushing on the right spot (usually one of the top corners) at the back of the phone does wonders because this, at least, helps the poor connection.

I agree the IQ II has a lousy GPS system, especially due to the point you've mentioned.

Just so it's clear,

GPS "Fix", is terminology describing position acquisition.

Software "Fix", is terminology describing a software update or possible slight-of-hand to work around a hardware bug or deficiency.

Get my "Fix", is personal psychobabble describing someone's addiction.

My reason for suggesting the GPS TEST App is that it showed that a GPS 'Fix' could be obtained when the IQ II received sufficient simultaneous signal level from a few satellites, which GPS Test clearly showed.

I also found an issue when using the IQ II with HERE maps 'offline' where the device wouldn't even try to find my current position if Android Marshmallow LOCATION MODE was set to "High accuracy: Use GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or cellular networks to determine location". Seems the software couldn't be bothered with my request.

HERE maps 'offline' would only try obtaining a current GPS position if I locked LOCATION / MODE to "Device Only: Use GPS to determine location"

My previous IQ phones would work with and return Cellular and WiFi database-associated gross positioning before it would try for a quick GPS Fix. The IQ II (well, at least mine) doesn't even seem to try unless I lock it on Device only mode.

Sorry about the confusion, I wrote fix meaning "correction" indeed and later realized that is was misleading.

I'm quite familiar with all these concepts, thanks (having possessed several Mediatek-based smartphones)

Some lousy firmwares also don't include a working geolocalisation either. The kind that provides imprecise and static positioning using wifi or GSM antennas, although I've seen this only on tablets so far. On these devices either Google Maps can't get a position at all, or it shows you somewhere in the southern Atlantic (0/0 degrees coordinates).

Oh, by the way, on one of my former Mediatek-based no-name smartphones sold here by a local rebrander (Wiko), tightening the screens of the phone's frame at the back did wonders. A typical case of GPS antenna to mainboard loose connector.

Android forums are full of topics from people desperately trying to find a software or hardware solution for these lousy GPS. Some people are very creative: scratching paint covering the GPS antenna, attaching a folded aluminium film to it, soldering a wire... the most technically advanced people cut out a GPS antenna of the right dimensions (based on wavelength etc.) in a piece of copper foil and solder a connector to the mainboard somehow. I've read very few proven success stories, though.

Edited by Lannig

Odd about some posters phones missing GPS signals when using the GPS test app. I just tested mine inside the house and it will pretty quickly find over 20 satellites and use 5-7 of them.

Here Maps and Maps ME (off-line) also works inside the house and I used them several times in my truck and no problems.

Yes agreed the 1gb ram is not enough for a heavy user, if I uses the GPS test app and turn on wi-fi and start updating apps the phone literally goes on it knees and the phones gets a bit hot too.

It took the phone about 30 sec to recover from that little exercise, he-he.

Okay I am not a heavy user so not a problem for me, you will only get so much for a sub 5000 baht phone and I have no plans of upgrading.

Both the ASUS Online Store Thailand and ITrueMart.com have been advertising the 5.5 in ZE550KL for 5,990b on special, but both are now showing those sold out for all colors, at least as of last night. However, True still has in stock the 5 in. ZE500KL model for 4990b, and then take off an additional 10% using an online coupon they're showing on the product's webpage.

Unfortunately, the difference between the two Zenfone 2 Laser models I'm mentioning is the 5 in version has a 2070 mAh battery, whereas the sold out 5.5 in version has a 3000 mAh battery. In hindsight, I wish I had moved quicker and bought the 5.5 in model from True before it sold out, because it also had the 10% coupon promo, which would have brought the final cost down to about 5400b.

The True promo on the ASUS models is due to continue thru Dec. 18, but I don't know whether they'll re-stock the 5.5 in model anytime before their promo ends. Meanwhile, InvadeIT's website is showing they have the 5.5 inch model for 5990b baht -- without any 10% discount coupon.

I checked back tonight with ITrueMart's website, and low and behold, they're now once again showing available stock of the black version of the ZE550KL, which lists on sale for 5990b. But with True's 10% discount code promotion, the 550 comes out at just under 5400b for a COD order with free delivery. (The white and red versions still showed as sold out tonight).

So, I canceled my prior yet-to-be-delivered COD order with them for the ZE500KL, and took the 550 instead.

I checked back tonight with ITrueMart's website, and low and behold, they're now once again showing available stock of the black version of the ZE550KL, which lists on sale for 5990b. But with True's 10% discount code promotion, the 550 comes out at just under 5400b for a COD order with free delivery. (The white and red versions still showed as sold out tonight).

So, I canceled my prior yet-to-be-delivered COD order with them for the ZE500KL, and took the 550 instead.

And what does that have to do with the topic which is; IQII

You even posed above in another tread, okay okay we got you man

The IQII uses a Qualcomm Snapdragon 64 bit 410. Well regarded. I have none of the described problems.

Those who have had GPS problems with the IQ II, have you tried it after the 6.0.1 upgrade?

Mine seems to be working and navigating fine now, hoping it's not just a temporary fluke.

Thanks for the notice. I got 6.0.1 few days ago, but did not test the GPS.

I just tested and got the 3D fix in a few seconds, even when the phone was not in ideal condition!

Very good news for IQ II owners.

Thank you for posting that, chmod777. I tested it now on my phone and GPS now works normally. It looks like I was wrong to blame the phone.

I haven't updated the OS on the Nexus 7 tablet yet and after two minutes it still has got no GPS fix yet, so it was clearly a problem with the Android OS. Going to update the tablet now.

The Mediatek chip (...)

The IQII uses a Qualcomm Snapdragon 64 bit 410. Well regarded. I have none of the described problems.

You certainly have a point. My bad. All of the I-Mobile headsets I've had in my hands used to be Mediatek-based cheap stuff, I guess that things have changed and I need a refresher on their line of products. Thanks.

Edited by Lannig

The Mediatek chip (...)

The IQ II uses a Qualcomm Snapdragon 64 bit 410. Well regarded. I have none of the described problems.

You certainly have a point. My bad. All of the I-Mobile headsets I've had in my hands used to be Mediatek-based cheap stuff, I guess that things have changed and I need a refresher on their line of products. Thanks.

The IQ II is an 'androidoone' spec phone (parts minimums directly specified by google)

Google's androidone: (Some features and devices may not be available in all areas, select region and language in bottom right to view more)

Wikipedia: Android One

smartphones.specout.com: Compare Android One Phones

• 4 weeks later...

So far, the only thing I saw the IQ II does not have is NFC (near field communication), but I did not expect it to have all the bells and whistles of the Nexus 4 and can live with that.

I haven't downloaded all the apps yet that I had on the old phone but found that two apps, forgot which ones, did not show up in the play store when searching for them on the IQ II. Perhaps they got taken off the store for whatever reason.

Internal storage 12GB, and it has a slot for an SD card which can be maximum 32GB. I inserted an 8GB card I had from an old HTC phone.

Android version 5.1.1 (Lollipop). After the phone was set up and I got online, it offered to do an update, which I carried out. The text on the box says that updates are guaranteed for at least two years.

So it dosen't have NFC, but it has bluetooth right?. How about also explaining how the lack of NFC affects your mobile (smartphone) experience, rather than just say...it dosent have this, it dosen't have that.

It's useful for us to know what it dosen't have, but without knowing how (if) it affects what we do with the device, it's pointless. If NFC is a standard feature with most smartphones, someone may buy this phone and later discover that it dosen't have this quite crucial feature. Of course not a problem, if there is some other feature to replace it (even if its a tad slower). How many times do we actually transfer files (data) between devices using NFC?...I usually use a USB cable.

Edited by meltingpot2015

Running the app GPS Status for the first time, I had to download the GPS assistance data to get a fast GPS location fix.

I guess this will help also with other apps that use GPS (navigators, camera, etc)

So no compass sensors in the IQ II, but does downloading and installing the GPS assistance app get around this, or was it the update mentioned in post #46 that fixed it.

Is the compass sensor what is used for when you turn the phone sideways, the orientation of the screen changes from portrait to landscape...e.g. when playing a video.

Nope, they're different things. You're thinking of the gravity sensor a.k.a accelerometer.

Lacking a compass does not hinder GPS navigation at all. Some apps use it to show what direction your vehicle heads to even when it's not moving. When it's moving, this can be deduced from the changes in GPS coordinates.

• 1 month later...

I'm headed for the US soon and I would like to know if my IQ II will work there if I pick up a local sim, say from AT&T...

Yes, it will work. LTE bands are different, so no LTE, will still work fine, just a tad slower on HSPA+. I have not found a phone yet that will work on both 4g networks.

I'm headed for the US soon and I would like to know if my IQ II will work there if I pick up a local sim, say from AT&T...

Yes, it will work. LTE bands are different, so no LTE, will still work fine, just a tad slower on HSPA+. I have not found a phone yet that will work on both 4g networks.

I didn't understand a word of that except for, "It will work." Thank you.