Which car to buy?

username1

I'm looking to buy my first car in Thailand and not really sure which one to pick. Any opinions on these for a 2 adults + baby:

Mazda 2 sedan - 665k

Mazda 3 - 833-974k

Focus - 1079k (-130k discount so around 950k)

Fiesta - 709k

Yaris - 540k

Budget is flexible, but always thought that spending money on a car is kinda stupid.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were car hunting last week.

Looked at Honda and Toyota.

Honda - CRV, HRV and Mobilo and Toyota Fortuner, Avanza and Innova.

We are a family of four (kids 9 and 11). My oldest is disabled and wheelchair user.

We currently have a Freed and were also considering the Hyundai / Toyota van type vehicles.

We finally decided to keep the Freed and buy the HRV. Really impressed with that, plenty of boot space, roomy and great driving. The top of range, with all the goodies, is around 974k plus taxes.

There is a new increased tax applied in the new year, extra 100k. So try and buy this year.

The ones on your list are ok too. The Mobilo and Avanza are around the 6-700k range and good family vehicles. Worth a look.

Good hunting!

Thailand No.1 car market is for Toyota,

the easiest buy and sell, repair, cheap spare parts, service it anywhere in the Kingdom!

If you are looking for a clean second hand one, have one for sell, plz check below spec:

Toyota Altis 1.8E - 1800 CC, Year 2012, Dual VVTI

have 2 airbags, Auto & manual transmission gear,

Silver color, light cream leather seat at 460k THB,

Clean as new, never accident, can check with toyota service center before you buy,

anyone interested PM for further discussion,

you can see the car, test drive and check everything, then make your final decision,

in my opinion buying a new car at least will cost you near double the average prrice of clean snd hand one,

usage is the same, workable as new one,

Regards

Edited by momtaz

You've not really said what you want from your car.

Safety, driving pleasure, space, economy, etc.

Good question. I'm probably looking for a safe car that's somewhat enjoyable to drive in a traffic heavy small sois.

HR-V was on my initial list but since it's a bit bigger in size I drop it out. Am I wrong to think that smaller cars are lot easier to operate in Thai traffic?

Bought a New Mazda 2 auto, 4 years ago, excellent little car, wife uses it for town driving, never had any, not one issue with it, comfortable, economical, cant think of anything negative to say.

Even service costs at local Mazda dealer were good.

We have a large Toyota Vigo for distance driving, 3ltr deisel.

Depends where you are located really, city or the Boonies, is why we have two types. If you are mostly town/city and occasional distance I would lean toward Mazda 3, mostly town Mazda 2.

If you need a utilty aspect then you need to be considering 4 door pick up etc.

Depends on your location and what you need from a vehicle.

Yaris should be sufficient and you never go wrong with a Toyota, parts, reliability and resale....the latest Yaris looks quite nice. My friend is happy with his and being a passenger it seemed like a spacious and comfortable enough car for your needs. Honda Jazz is another popular one. As mentioned the tax brackets are changing in he new year but on smaller cars you may save 10k or so. 2nd hand values do not hold anymore as they used to so no point in spending more than needed. Visit the showrooms and have test drives if possible.

Just by the storage space I would go for the Avaza. It got a lot of room, is reasonable economical, and no big waste of money to buy. I got mine last year and I am definitely happy with it. Not the newest construction with it's real wheel drive, but do one U-turn with it and you will be impressed!

You've not really said what you want from your car.

Safety, driving pleasure, space, economy, etc.

Good question. I'm probably looking for a safe car that's somewhat enjoyable to drive in a traffic heavy small sois.

HR-V was on my initial list but since it's a bit bigger in size I drop it out. Am I wrong to think that smaller cars are lot easier to operate in Thai traffic?

I think you are wrong to think that smaller cars are easier to operate in Thai Traffic....

My experience of Driving in Thailand comes from a Range of Cars - Merc A Class, Honda CRV, BMW 5 Series, BMW x5, Range Rover...

The Range Rover was by far the easiest to drive in Bangkok traffic - but was the biggest.

The reasons there are is that it is an extremely easy car to judge (as its more square and you are higher up).

BMW 5 Series was the hardest as the bonnet is longer than the other cars.

The A Class as a smaller car even felt a little more dangerous as people tended to cut me off, not give way etc.

Width isn't really an issue - unless you live on a very small soi where cm's do make a difference.

A smaller Car may 'feel' easier... that is perhaps a simple psychological impression we may have, but in reality, there is not a huge difference in the footprint of the cars you are looking at.

Especially the HRV - it really is hardly any larger than an Altis etc... just check out the Width and Lengths (*in the cars spec sheets) - you'll see the differences are very small a matter of a couple of CM's...

I used to have a Toyota Avanza. It had a 1.3L engine (there is also a 1.5L version), it's rear-wheel drive and is surprisingly thin (not wide), so fits in some places you might not expect it to.

Seats seven comfortably, and was a great little car. Has A/C vents in the roof for the rear seats, which I miss in my truck. Wasn't a great performance vehicle, but it's a 1.3L seven-seater, so neither would you expect it to be.

I had it for 3 years, and it was great. It managed around 12km/L, and didn't have any problems even when I drove it to Songkhla and back over two days.

With the rear-most seats folded forward it could hold a lot in the back and still seat five. Very useful little vehicle :)

Bought a New Mazda 2 auto, 4 years ago, excellent little car, wife uses it for town driving, never had any, not one issue with it, comfortable, economical, cant think of anything negative to say.

Even service costs at local Mazda dealer were good.

We have a large Toyota Vigo for distance driving, 3ltr deisel.

Depends where you are located really, city or the Boonies, is why we have two types. If you are mostly town/city and occasional distance I would lean toward Mazda 3, mostly town Mazda 2.

If you need a utilty aspect then you need to be considering 4 door pick up etc.

Depends on your location and what you need from a vehicle.

Mazda 2/3 seem like a very good choice and your message reassures that.

Yaris should be sufficient and you never go wrong with a Toyota, parts, reliability and resale....the latest Yaris looks quite nice. My friend is happy with his and being a passenger it seemed like a spacious and comfortable enough car for your needs. Honda Jazz is another popular one. As mentioned the tax brackets are changing in he new year but on smaller cars you may save 10k or so. 2nd hand values do not hold anymore as they used to so no point in spending more than needed. Visit the showrooms and have test drives if possible.

Exactly why I'm considering Yaris. The price is good and for the parts/service easily available for reasonable price. And Toyotas keep their value quite well here. Mazda 2/3 looks a lot better and have more space though.

1st choice should be Japanese if you can't afford Merc and BMW, so the 2 Fords are out, any of the 3 others would be a good solid buy...me id go the 3 town or country no problem and use that bit more space for a growing family.

I can't believe some members here... the guy wants to buy a car for his family and members spew ridiculous advice like take Uber (is it even legal <deleted>), walk, and even get a bike... did you muppets forget your meds this week?? <deleted>???!!

I'd suggest to get the car with the highest possible seating position so you have plenty of visibility all around.

Mazda makes great cars, but I've noticed the Mazda 3 has a super long nose, which may be an issue for you in regards to navigation

Out of the list the OP has provided I would go for the Mazda 3. Extending that list I would chose the Honda CRV. I have had one and they are brilliant. Comfortable, spacious, good for a family of 4, cheap to maintain and in the three years we had ours we had no problems.

The Fiesta and the Mazda 2 have the same body and many of the same parts. I own the Mazda 2. The windshield pillar blocks visibility a little, it's been a good car.

The Yaris is not reviewed well and I would pass on that. Rented one and hated it.

The best car in the class is the Honda Jazz. That's what I would buy. Simpling nothing close to it.

The best value is the Suzuki Swift. Lot of car for the money.

I love the look of the new Focus but we're not comparing apples to apples when you throw in that and the Mazda 3. Both are bigger, better and faster than the above. I don't see how you can go wrong with the Mazda 3.

You can't go wrong with Honda or Toyota in Thailand. Small is not necessary safer when it comes to driving in Thailand, especially if you have a baby, will be using a car seat and strollers. I suggest you go with something bigger just for comfort and hone your skills driving a bigger car.

Bigger car, more visibility and more visible when you drive beside 10 wheelers on the road.

Edited by mike324

1st choice should be Japanese if you can't afford Merc and BMW, so the 2 Fords are out, any of the 3 others would be a good solid buy...me id go the 3 town or country no problem and use that bit more space for a growing family.

The budget is flexible, but is there a reason to stretch it to 2-3M just to get a MB / BMW? I'm unsure what benefits these offer other than the status of owning a more expensive brand...

I can't believe some members here... the guy wants to buy a car for his family and members spew ridiculous advice like take Uber (is it even legal <deleted>), walk, and even get a bike... did you muppets forget your meds this week?? <deleted>???!!

I'd suggest to get the car with the highest possible seating position so you have plenty of visibility all around.

Mazda makes great cars, but I've noticed the Mazda 3 has a super long nose, which may be an issue for you in regards to navigation

Haha, there's some great advice in the thread! That's true regarding Mazda 3 nose, I'd say that the highest seating position would be in HR-V suggested.

Two adults and a baby?

I have a Mazda 2 (4 door) for four years.

Automatic (of course!), ABS, two airbags (only).

Runs fine, no problems.

665 k for the Mazda 2 sounds like the top edition.

Good choice, don't go for the cheaper ones.

But our 12 year old Toyota Vios has more comfort features.

If you look for a compact car, compare Mazda and Toyota.

Budget is flexible, but always thought that spending money on a car is kinda stupid.

Completely unthinkable to be without my own car here in upcountry.

I would bu burried alive.

In Pattaya? I would think twice.

Edited by KhunBENQ

You can't go wrong with Honda or Toyota in Thailand. Small is not necessary safer when it comes to driving in Thailand, especially if you have a baby, will be using a car seat and strollers. I suggest you go with something bigger just for comfort and hone your skills driving a bigger car.

Bigger car, more visibility when you drive beside 10 wheelers on the road.

The point you make of visibility is the reason we bought the CRV and never looked back brilliant vehicle

I used to have a Toyota Avanza. It had a 1.3L engine (there is also a 1.5L version), it's rear-wheel drive and is surprisingly thin (not wide), so fits in some places you might not expect it to.

Today's model always comes with the 1.5l engine. The electric power steering and other enhancements give a better performance (mpg-wise) compared to the old model.

Exactly why I'm considering Yaris. The price is good and for the parts/service easily available for reasonable price. And Toyotas keep their value quite well here. Mazda 2/3 looks a lot better and have more space though.

The Yaris' boot will be too small to keep a wheelchair or stroller, especially when taking passengers and a tiny bit of luggage/shopping goods.

Edited by hkt83100