Thailand back to the booze ban future

webfact

"This law has been brought about because of the number of fatal shootings of students this year"

How about radical idea of enforcing existing laws regarding possession of firearms and underage drinking? Oh, but people walk around or ride around (which makes the distance factor so inane, imho), so involves a little walking and effort. Businesses aren't mobile, so can squeeze them at leisure.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why can't Thailand pass a law requiring ID to be shown when purchasing alcohol?

No more "300m from school" nonsense, and shops could start selling alcohol between 2PM and 5PM again. It isn't rocket science.

You didn't even consider the 2 to 5 ban had even remotely anything to do with under-age, did you?

Same story, different day and time....why can't the pissheads go one day without a crutch???

Sober up lads and enjoy the day and your life?

Is that really what you see is the issue here? Nothing to do with the inability to clearly define a perimeter nor the ineffectual enforcement of current laws to not sell to underage minors?

People who want to drink can still clearly get alcohol each day if they so choose, it's when laws with very vague references are passed and open up near endless opportunities for more corruption that people start to question just who, what and why the people in charge are doing so.

Selective enforcement. Now you can extort large fee from existing business within these zones if they don't pay, then easy to shut them down, because of the law. Why not just enforce existing laws, like checking an id for instance.

Its slows them down to much. They arrive late at the next "contribution" site. At the end of the day it means a drop in income. That would never do.

No more "300m from school" nonsense, and shops could start selling alcohol between 2PM and 5PM again. It isn't rocket science.

The laws are there, people under 20 are not allowed to buy alcohol.

It's the enforement that is not there and won't be there for whatever law they make......unless there is money to be made.

Edited by recycler

Stories and media coverage

POLICE in CHONBURI are more corrupt than Bin Ladden

Why is INSOMNIA open umtil 7am in the morning full of illegal activies

Answer ::::: MONEY MONEY MONEY

Why do you not get the big fish and why your there check the building permitts LOL

JOKERS

The problem at the moment is that the whole government is being held together by Prayuth. He has magnificent qualities in some respects and is woefully lacking in plenty of others.

And I shudder to think about the degree of incompetence of the military people beneath him.

Time to push the reforms through to prevent another Parliament of dirty cronies and get out of office before they do too much damage. However I think they are here to stay until 'the event which cannot be named' is over to protect the sovereign status.

Any law which is shrouded in ambiguity is unenforcible as it is wide open to misinterpretation. It is the rightful and responsible duty of those who legislate to ensure that there is no possibility of doubt, misrepresentation or uncertainty. This law does not comply with those parameters and is thus illegitimate. Back to the drawing board and draft something that is simple and comprehensible. The suggestion of the use of the universal ID card has the most merit, in my opinion, because surely it achieves quite simply those objectives which are totally obscured by the current legislation

I don't live in Thailand anymore so I couldn't care less. I do get tired of all the bleating expats who complain about everything yet still continue to live there. It is a stupid law but whatever, Thailand pass stupid laws all the time and after being enforced for a month things will go back to how they were before.

I've raised this query before: What happens during the school holidays when an educational establishment has no pupils attending?

Surely a ban during these periods would be unfair on the premises involved and should be lifted, especially as such a respite might be a much needed life-line.

Blurred thinking. Fag-packet legislation. So many contradictions and loop-holes. Farce.

Dear People and Tourists,

Don't worry that your favourite bars will be closed.

All that's needed is the appropriate tea money to be paid.

Rubbish,only if they are within 300 metres.If this law is enforced,bars will move the required distance.Always a way in this country.

leaving authorities to enforce the law at their own discretion.

Making Laws, Thai-style. As was pointed out in Thailand Lawyer Blog in August, for many smaller communities across Thailand, this could mean the entire town is a no drinking zone.

Are government registered hotels, designated entertainment zones and convenience stores to be exempt under this new Law, or is that at the discretion of the authorities too?

Mmm,don't know Thailand too well,do you.

With all the news about alcohol advertising lately, people have been referring to the battle between Singh Corp and Thai Bev, and how bans may impact their sales.

I notice that the ban on advertising, and restriction on sales hasn’t hurt Johnnie Walker in Thailand. Even after losing the Johnnie Walker Golf Classic which moved away from Thailand some years ago, after the alcohol advertising bans first came into effect.

In fact, as reported elsewhere, in sales of Johnnie Walker, Thailand is ranked number 1 in the ASEAN market, AND number 3 in the world (behind US and Brazil)! The Thai importer and distributor also expects a 7% sales growth for the product for the fiscal 2015 (which started on 1 July).

Keep Walking Johnnie, even if you have to go a bit further to satisfy the new laws!

post-209291-0-31263500-1445682009_thumb.

Dear People and Tourists,

Don't worry that your favourite bars will be closed.

All that's needed is the appropriate tea money to be paid.

Rubbish,only if they are within 300 metres.If this law is enforced,bars will move the required distance.Always a way in this country.

I take it you are not aware the legislation effective from yesterday says ' near ' and that isn't defined. The 300 meter distance was dropped !

The laws are there, people under 20 are not allowed to buy alcohol.

It's the enforement that is not there and won't be there for whatever law they make......unless there is money to be made.

Yes, a new law requiring ID checks is needed. I have never seen anyone ID checked in Thailand when buying alcohol.

The current law only says:

No person may sell an alcoholic beverage to the following:

(1) A person under twenty years of age;

(https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Alcoholic_Beverage_Control_Act,_BE_2551_%282008%29)

It should actually say:

It is forbidden to sell alcoholic beverages to a person unless they show identification proving that they are at least 20 years old.

This identification must take the form of a Thai National ID card for Thai Nationals, or a passport for foreigners.

Edited by nkg

Any law which is shrouded in ambiguity is unenforcible as it is wide open to misinterpretation. It is the rightful and responsible duty of those who legislate to ensure that there is no possibility of doubt, misrepresentation or uncertainty. This law does not comply with those parameters and is thus illegitimate. Back to the drawing board and draft something that is simple and comprehensible. The suggestion of the use of the universal ID card has the most merit, in my opinion, because surely it achieves quite simply those objectives which are totally obscured by the current legislation

Care to quote love, or are you just that original everytime you post?

M.eh TV, and standards....

I bet the BIB are rubbing their hands with joy at this....a vague law...how much is that going to cost bar owners to have the BIB look the other way?

Really dumb move by Prayrut and Co

Perhaps a move intended to keep the |BIB on side? There are a lot of them, and they are not over enamored of the military, or so one hears!