Marrying a Thai woman.

Samuel25241

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Divorce law in Thailand is quite straightforward.

If you divorce she is entitled to half your joint asset increase/decrease during the time you were married. This applies to assets/income held in any country.

You should make sure you have documents that show fully your assets at the time of your marriage, including proof of overseas funds to purchase any assets you have acquired in Thailand.

Lawyers in Thailand may try to scare you into a settlement on the grounds of damage to your wife's reputation, if it is she who is suing for divorce. Unless she is a high-so type this is unlikely to achieve much in court.

Like divorce in most countries a settlement is usually reached out of court.

BTW the Thai courts impose compulsory mediation on both parties to try and achieve a settlement prior to a full hearing. Actually quite a good system as it saves on lawyers bills and the courts time.

Don't be put off by scare stories, when it comes to divorce here in Thailand documentary evidence trumps everything else - so make sure your paperwork is in order at the outset.

Marriage is cheaper in Thailand, well if your wife doesnt want to pretend your super rich and show off... Funny your asking about legal requirements if a divorce happens why bother getting married if this is a issue, like anywhere in this world, you gotta pay the wife if things go stray....

Post removed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

your obligations are your must be prepared to lose everything you have.

Isn't that the same where ever you come from !! My mates was raped by his English wife...............

in Australia too, my ex-wife (3 kids) got 76.6% of assets plus I had agreed to pay out her BMW (7-Series) and my assets included a leased BMW, which I didn't factually own (the leasing company did) ...

Rule 1) Don't pay for the cow when you can just buy the milk.

Rule 2) If you must marry, avoid the legal and do only the social.

Rule 3) Promise you will give her family as much as they give your family.

Rule 4) If your gf came out of the bars, but she is different; see rule #1.

Isn't that the same where ever you come from !! My mates was raped by his English wife...............

in Australia too, my ex-wife (3 kids) got 76.6% of assets plus I had agreed to pay out her BMW (7-Series) and my assets included a leased BMW, which I didn't factually own (the leasing company did) ...

wow, that's too much ... so does that also mean 76% of your savings ?

that's not good ......... blink.png now I know why I didn't marry ......

Edited by steven100

everything, even includes Superannnuation ...

everything, even includes Superannnuation ...

Same for me in the UK.

We had 4 kids, haven't seen them since (8 years).

Mind you it wasn't all bad, if I'd kept a fair share of the house and been allowed to see the kids,

I wouldn't have been remarried to a Thai lady half my age, with new children to which I have 100% access, and living in a nice warm country.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

i got married and divorced in 6 months,1.5 hours to get married 1hr for divorce,easy peesy.divorce was for pension reasons

I got married in the UK to my Thai wife back in 2000 after knowing her for 7 years before that.

The second best thing I did.

The first was our son who is now 12.

I always figured that anyone old enough to leave home and his Mummy and Daddy behind is old enough to make his own mind up and make his own mistakes.

On this thread there are those in favour and those against marriage to a Thai and probably a couple of cheap charlies too.

Read the thread, inwardly digest the contents and make up your OWN mind.

To be more specific an arm and a leg.

Or in extreme circumstances-DEATH! it does happen-watch out for the neighbor next door. Have 2000 baht and he will do anything and he means anything.

Rubbish.

You have been sitting on too many barstools again.

What a really sad topic. Don't get married if this is your main concern. If you really care for this new women, and you consider her a worthy life partner enough to get married,then you shouldn't give a dam about material things. Especially at this stage of the game,what ever happened to love?

Did you or would you think like this and ask a forum for advice on marrying a English woman,I don't think so. So why make marrying a Thai citizen like buying meat at the market.

Because of the many frustrating stories that we have heard about the treatment Thai women have given their farang husbands over the years.

You ONLY get to hear the bad stories and very rarely the good ones, probably because the good ones are not whiners. They made their choice and they and their Thai families get on well together, and so they have no need to tell the world or at least Thai Visa.

How about you don't marry someone who needs your money.

Or only marry them after you've lived together for at least 5 or 6 years and you know they are the right person.

And only marry someone who you so in love with that you would never even consider looking at another woman.

I would also add don't marry someone unless you and they both speak at least one language the same and fluently.

Don't marry someone unless you know that you don't disagree too much on things like religion, culture, food, politics, race, class and money.

Don't marry them if they want kids and you don't.

Don't marry them if their parents are poor.

Don't marry them if their mother is fat.

For me the girl needs :- Looks, Own money, Family money, Brains, Overseas education or at least lots of overseas exposure, English language skills.

If anything is missing from that list then the other things better be enough to counter balance the missing bits.

sorry to hear that guys , MaeJoMTB and Daniel

.... not a good situation or outcome for you both.

thinking, it would be disastrous for someone in late 50- 60's as you loose almost all and don't have time to save again.

as with MaeJoMTB, I am philosophical about it too ... had things panned out different, I would never have met my Thai Wife;

(it did happen in my 40's, I didn't recover financially) although I am luckier, I have a good relationship with my kids, one son was with me when I first met my wife-to-be, then later, another son was best man at our wedding and my daughter and Wife have a good relationship and their eldest brother, said 'as long as you are happy Dad' ...

sometimes things may appear bad, but it usually leads to better things ... if you are open to it

Edited by Daniel Boon

An arm and a leg. Prepared to lose everything I have.... Based upon once divorcing they have access to my English bank accounts or bonds ? Pretty sure they wouldn't but just wanting to confirm.

As long as they have no access to the UK, you should be alright.

But that means you can't take them back to your home country, ever.

Australia is a bit more risky.

I've always found the best security is to never let a woman know you own anything, have any assets, property, savings.

If they don't know you have it, they can't ask a court for it.

Boasters risk everything.

Good luck trying to enjoy your hidden wealth after this recent ruling by the UK Supreme Court.

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2015/oct/14/women-right-reopen-divorce-settlements-supreme-court

To be more specific an arm and a leg.

Or in extreme circumstances-DEATH! it does happen-watch out for the neighbor next door. Have 2000 baht and he will do anything and he means anything.

Rubbish.

You have been sitting on too many barstools again.

I have to go with billd766 here.

I have never figured out why Thai men have such a reputation for being badasses...that has certainly not been my experience.

On two occasions I have stepped in to stop Thai men from physically abusing their wives, and both times I prevailed, and the other Thai men standing around did nothing to support either me or the Thai man.

I have also had confrontations with a motorcy taxi or two, and it came out in my favor, without me being ratpacked.

I know that is the common wisdom, that if you fight a Thai you fight all of his friends also...but that has not been my experience.

And I am a badass by no means....5'6" 180# white guy.... but so far I have managed to hold my own.

On two occasions I have stepped in to stop Thai men from physically abusing their wives, and both times I prevailed, and the other Thai men standing around did nothing to support either me or the Thai man.

I have also had confrontations with a motorcy taxi or two, and it came out in my favor, without me being ratpacked.

Good for you,

On the other hand, I've never been all that bothered about what other people are doing.

As long as they aren't abusing me, I don't have much interest.

300 baht to get married and 80 baht for a divorce.

She cant get anything you have in the UK. Including money property etc.

Lesson # 1. Dont tell them what you have, what you earn and what your worth.

She can (assuming she knows about what you have). There are conditions that have to be met, but it is possible.

Edited by blackcab

Most guys just go uless there are kids.

I suppose she wants a new house.

If so and you trust her get a lease, but always get advice from an honest Thai lawyer (honest and English speaking first!

Good luck

HONEST THAI LAWYER?

where will you find one?

Are you a comedian or what? Next thing you'll be recommending "Ask the A??hole" on this site.

300 baht to get married and 80 baht for a divorce.

She cant get anything you have in the UK. Including money property etc.

Lesson # 1. Dont tell them what you have, what you earn and what your worth.

She can (assuming she knows about what you have). There are conditions that have to be met, but it is possible.

Obviously didn't follow lesson # 1 then.

Only do a registration on marriage in Thailand, not in your country, she can only take half what you have in Thailand in a divorce,

if you do not have houses, etc. on your wife name, then you loos that

Every thing you have in your home country, she can not touch. if you do not register the marriage there ;-)

Hope this help.

Good luck

I'm not really interested in assets in the uk. I'm talking about bonds , inheritance , bank accounts. Nothing more. Can they touch it upon divorce if I had it prior to marrying them?

I have no interest in anything owned in Thailand as I'm not mug enough like a majority to invest here. As it happens anything I do own is fronted by the girl anyway. Call me the bringer of balance or a male equivalent to a Thai woman. Or just a piece of **** that works for me too. Point is I'll never lose a dime from this country like so many posting clearly have. Why did YOU lose everything? Because you were a stupid rat ******* who was controlled by his emotions. I feel no affection. It's all about assets and profit for me. Wow. I feel really thai'd up , it's why I belong here.

I'm not old. A young farang can be quite the manipulative catch.

Edited by Samuel25241

Ps don't believe in marriage what so ever excluding for my own profit. Let's call it an up coming generation thing. Only idiots believe in "love" and "romance" with marriage. It's weak and easy to manipulate thus so many idiots who lose everything over here because of their weak ideologies.

No I would not marry for love.

/close thread.