Eggs for Breakfast

uli65

no why?

egg is healthy...try to buy organic one. Some chemicals fed to chicken look for the body like Estrogen. Causing problems for males. For women no problem.

2 eggs is not much animal protein. If you eat every day 1 kg beef additional to the eggs and pork than there might be problems.

high cholesterol..............possibly???????????????

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't remember exactly, about 5 or 6 tests on the page. My blood tests from memory were 2 pages, about 25 tests.

My comment concerning the Thai medical profession is because I'm not impressed by medicos who seem to think someone presenting with pain that could be kidney stones, appendicitis, stomach ulcer or whatever can be cured by handing out buckets of pills, treating symptoms instead of causes. Ultrasounds, X'rays and CAT scans would seem to be indicated.

Before you go there, yes I realise places such as Bumrungrad have an international reputation. However, I'm referring to two provincial government hospitals, whose reputations are not so stellar.

Getting a bit off topic, aren't we.

Can't remember exactly, about 5 or 6 tests on the page. My blood tests from memory were 2 pages, about 25 tests.

My comment concerning the Thai medical profession is because I'm not impressed by medicos who seem to think someone presenting with pain that could be kidney stones, appendicitis, stomach ulcer or whatever can be cured by handing out buckets of pills, treating symptoms instead of causes. Ultrasounds, X'rays and CAT scans would seem to be indicated.

Before you go there, yes I realise places such as Bumrungrad have an international reputation. However, I'm referring to two provincial government hospitals, whose reputations are not so stellar.

Next time you want to take a shot at Thai medical services, be prepared to explain the detail and back up your comments. Too many folks want to take shots at all things Thai, without knowing what they're actually talking about. Having said those things, there are elements of the medical system here that need to be improved but thankfully those elements are slowly changing.

Yes, go ahead and eat two eggs per day. Don't listen to all this nonsense about eating too much cholesterol or saturated fat. That dogma has been thoroughly trounced in recent years. (In fact, an egg has more monounsaturated fat than saturated fat.)

If you have any doubt about their effect on your blood chemistry, go and test it. It's cheap and easy to do in Thailand and far more productive than armchair theorizing.. I'd be surprised if it has any effect at all.

+1

Eggs have had a bit of a bad rep over the years with talk of high cholesterol. But a lot of these were old wives tales. In fact, the Japanese are one of the worlds largest consumers of eggs and are among the people with the lowest cholesterol. Per 100 grams an egg has 186 milligrams cholesterol but 184 is in the yolk.

http://www.livescience.com/39353-eggs-dont-deserve-bad-reputation.html

Next time you want to take a shot at Thai medical services, be prepared to explain the detail and back up your comments. Too many folks want to take shots at all things Thai, without knowing what they're actually talking about. Having said those things, there are elements of the medical system here that need to be improved but thankfully those elements are slowly changing.

I thought I had; however, that's apparently not good enough for you. In turn, can you explain in detail what elements of the medical system here need to be improved? I think the Thai education system would be a good starting point.

To answer the OP directly.

Keep eating your eggs if you enjoy them. Ignore the other advice given.

But try and avoid high risk factors such as smoking and homosexuality.

Both can be high risk in Thailand.....even if you are only here to see the temples and visit the markets.

Yes, go ahead and eat two eggs per day. Don't listen to all this nonsense about eating too much cholesterol or saturated fat. That dogma has been thoroughly trounced in recent years. (In fact, an egg has more monounsaturated fat than saturated fat.)

If you have any doubt about their effect on your blood chemistry, go and test it. It's cheap and easy to do in Thailand and far more productive than armchair theorizing.. I'd be surprised if it has any effect at all.

Blood chemistry tests in Thailand are cheap for a reason. The tests here only measure a quarter of the parameters that are tested in Western pathology services. I was somewhat shocked when my Thai g/f's blood tests took only two hours for results to come back. In Australia it's more like three days. Then when I looked at her test results, I realised why.

However, it is nice to see a TV poster who has a good opinion of the Thai medical profession.

The number of tests you have are determined by the consulting doctor.

Some will give you the full gamut, others just the basics if they don't think your symptoms require it.

Australian doctors tend to be initially more thorough than Thai doctors in my experience.

If you don't have insurance then many doctors will order fewer tests, same in both Australia and Thailand

You can always ask for further tests if you wish, I do if there is something I wish to keep track of.

In Australia the time to get your tests back can depend on where you have your tests done i.e. a doctors surgery or a hospital.

When I have tests done in Australia at a local clinic it takes about three days to get the results back as they need to be sent to an outside pathology lab.

Here most foreigners are more likely to be going to a hospital rather than a local doctor. Many big hospitals have your tests analysed on site so results are back same day while you wait.

My wife has a regular test she gets done at a local smaller hospital rather than our usual Bangkok hospital as it's not urgent.

Lower cost but she has to go back a few days later for the results as they don't have an onsite lab.

Moderation is key.Maybe don't eat them more than 2 days A week.3 the most.You can try Oatmeal,cream of wheat.Maybe cold ce rial.Maybe every now and then pancakes or French toast.

I too like eggs and have often wondered if I eat too many. My favorite breakfast is pork sausage gravy, with onion fried potatoes, sunny-side up eggs, bacon and buttermilk biscuits--scones to some--gin bloody Mary, and black coffee. I eat it or something similar maybe once a week.

This morning was it; I had a three-egg, bacon, onion, tomato, and cheese omelet with biscuits, black coffee, and tomato juice.

Once a week I eat fruits, crepes, waffles, pancakes, cereal, porridge, milk or yogurt, muffins or toast, jellies and jams, and coffee or tea in any combination is a great breakfast too.

Once or twice a week, I like garlic fried rice with bacon, or rice porridge with fish, or noodle soup with dimsum.

About twice a week I enjoy papaya with lime--or pamelo, mango, pineapple, bananas--whole wheat muffins or toast and strong black coffee.

Another two or three days a week, I won't awake until afternoon, so I have lunch. Had meatloaf, cauliflower, and salad yesterday.

Sorry guys, got carried away; the wife is making spicy chicken fingers, chips, and carrot sticks with gorgonzola dip--one of my favorite lunches.

How many kilos do you weigh?

85, why?

Blood chemistry tests in Thailand are cheap for a reason. The tests here only measure a quarter of the parameters that are tested in Western pathology services. I was somewhat shocked when my Thai g/f's blood tests took only two hours for results to come back. In Australia it's more like three days. Then when I looked at her test results, I realised why.

However, it is nice to see a TV poster who has a good opinion of the Thai medical profession.

Hmm, exactly which blood chemistry tests that are done here do you feel are inferior, and in which way?

Did I say they were inferior? I wouldn't know, I don't audit laboratories anymore. What I did say was they were done fast, and far fewer tests were done. I'm sure you can work it out from there - you seem to be an intelligent person.

Not many tests take more than an hour.

If it takes several days to get results it's because they send them out.

Not many tests take more than an hour.

If it takes several days to get results it's because they send them out.

Correct---I had a blood test done in Brisbane last week, results in 90 minutes. They had the computer on site as do most Thailand blood clinics, The results were exactly the same as the test I done in Issan 9 days before......but hey if we get a chance, lets give anything in Thailand a good kicking ............................coffee1.gif

Well, I think the issue is in general that we are chemistry sets - and individual ones at that.

It does sound like a lot of eggs and though some articles are saying fine, others are not and who knows what they will figure out in the future..

But, variety sure is a nicer way to live - no?

Moderation is key.Maybe don't eat them more than 2 days A week.3 the most.You can try Oatmeal,cream of wheat.Maybe cold ce rial.Maybe every now and then pancakes or French toast.

I too like eggs and have often wondered if I eat too many. My favorite breakfast is pork sausage gravy, with onion fried potatoes, sunny-side up eggs, bacon and buttermilk biscuits--scones to some--gin bloody Mary, and black coffee. I eat it or something similar maybe once a week.

This morning was it; I had a three-egg, bacon, onion, tomato, and cheese omelet with biscuits, black coffee, and tomato juice.

Once a week I eat fruits, crepes, waffles, pancakes, cereal, porridge, milk or yogurt, muffins or toast, jellies and jams, and coffee or tea in any combination is a great breakfast too.

Once or twice a week, I like garlic fried rice with bacon, or rice porridge with fish, or noodle soup with dimsum.

About twice a week I enjoy papaya with lime--or pamelo, mango, pineapple, bananas--whole wheat muffins or toast and strong black coffee.

Another two or three days a week, I won't awake until afternoon, so I have lunch. Had meatloaf, cauliflower, and salad yesterday.

Sorry guys, got carried away; the wife is making spicy chicken fingers, chips, and carrot sticks with gorgonzola dip--one of my favorite lunches.

How many kilos do you weigh?

85, why?

You must have an excellent metabolism. Can't get below 95 myself.

Mais oui Monsieur Creosote....just one more teeny after dinner mint?

Edited by Mudcrab

I think it "boils" down to whether or not you have high cholesterol. Get regular checks and If you develop high cholesterol, be careful, if you don't, don't worry about it.

The nutritional value of an egg does not change significantly be it boiled or fried.

A lot of seemingly healthy men have heart attacks in their 50's, and it generally has little if anything to do with their lifestyle.

To answer the OP directly.

Keep eating your eggs if you enjoy them. Ignore the other advice given.

But try and avoid high risk factors such as smoking and homosexuality.

Both can be high risk in Thailand.....even if you are only here to see the temples and visit the markets.

Couldn't resist doing a dig at gay people here, couldya?

Well, technically it's not the identity of homosexuality that is a high health risk, it's specific SEX ACTS, primarily unprotected anal sex, and last time I checked females have anuses as well. Yes, I went there.

To add, do not under any circumstances use beaten eggs as a lubricant!

The cholesterol derived from food products represents less than 10% of the total, our bodies manufacture the remaining 90%.

Cholesterol levels in one egg are quite high, about 350 mg per 100 grams. Chicken itself is about 90 mg of cholesterol per 100 mg but who eats just 100 mg of chicken!

It would be prudent to make this every other do and to eat something lower in fat and higher in fiber in between. Oatmeal, or muesli made with rolled oats and yogurt for example.

This is good advice. Eggs two or three times a week, muesli with yoghurt a few times and possibly a protein shake or two. Can you cut back to one egg at a time? Multi grain bread for a piece of toast? My wife makes a one egg, fried with a coating of spray oil, poached, or scrambled on a piece of multi grain high fiber toast dusted with bacon bits and a bit of grated cheese, diced onion and tomato with a dollop of pizza or spagheti sauce for flavor. 250-300 cals. Or a breakfast burrito wrap with a pesto tortilla (60 cals) filled with one egg scrambled with a bit of diced ham or bacon bits, diced onion and tomato and a dusting of parmesan cheese. Usually coat the tortilla with a teaspoon of pizza sauce for flavor. Grilled in the toaster oven. About 300-350 cals. Muesli with yoghurt gives you a good dose of fiber and gut flora. About 400 cals. I mix my own muesli by combining an oat based commercial Muesli with another brand of muesli (more crunch) and an All Bran cereal for more fiber. Equal portions of each. Probably too much sugar but about 10-15 grams of fiber. More All Bran means more fiber and less sugar. Many recipes for protein shakes out there. Mine is 100 grams of plain yoghurt, one cup of frozen berries (any kind) or fresh fruit, one or two scoops of whey protein and one raw egg. About 400 cals. Lots of protein, little sugar, moderate amount of carbs and a bit of fat from the egg yolk. Omit the raw egg if you are worried about it.

Fourteen eggs a week is probably a bit much and sounds boring as well. No fiber either.

My blood pressure and cholesterol levels are normal. for some months I eat Fish oil and coconut oil caps and curcuma caps.

I do not believe the story about the bad cholesterol. I saw a report with a high competent expert for internal medicine. He said nobody should ever be afraid if his cholesterol is under 300. everything else is fearmongering. I just found out that eggs contains high phosphorus. phosphorus inhibits calcium intake.

I should take some calcium supplement. I will not change to much in my eating habits and will eat my eggs as usual.