Mafia crackdown order to be announced in a day or two

webfact

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This place is so medieval at times.

Once again, if they were even vaguely serious about any of this they would put all their efforts into reforming the police and the courts. That they have done nothing of the sort speaks volumes. Then, when your whole regime is completely illegitimate I guess it's hard to shout loudly about the rule of law.

Illegitimate - not according to the ultimate authority. Certainly no more so than a government who handed power to a corrupt criminal fugitive who even paid them all a salary, awarded positions and shuffled regularly to get all the noses in the trough. His government left the police alone to do as they pleases in return for "support" for it's followers when required. Shins and the rule of law - cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Only have time for the law when it serves their purpose, otherwise couldn't give a shit.

Until the entire judicial system and law enforcement process is reformed this will simply continue.

Maybe this will be more successful than Yingluck's much vaunted fight against corruption - although she did say there was no corruption in "her" government. 555

Talk about living in the past! Could we pse get shut of this "But but Thaksin" blx and stick to the current thread which is about THIS govt.

Ko Tao would be a good testing ground but there are BiB , boys in green and the other day in my local Lotus there were boys in black. Unfortunately there is no uniform for the Mafia , maybe one of the Bib , Biblack or BiG groups could arrest anyone with an Italian accent. They started it. Gratsi .

This place is so medieval at times.

Once again, if they were even vaguely serious about any of this they would put all their efforts into reforming the police and the courts. That they have done nothing of the sort speaks volumes. Then, when your whole regime is completely illegitimate I guess it's hard to shout loudly about the rule of law.

Illegitimate - not according to the ultimate authority. Certainly no more so than a government who handed power to a corrupt criminal fugitive who even paid them all a salary, awarded positions and shuffled regularly to get all the noses in the trough. His government left the police alone to do as they pleases in return for "support" for it's followers when required. Shins and the rule of law - cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Only have time for the law when it serves their purpose, otherwise couldn't give a shit.

Until the entire judicial system and law enforcement process is reformed this will simply continue.

Maybe this will be more successful than Yingluck's much vaunted fight against corruption - although she did say there was no corruption in "her" government. 555

Talk about living in the past! Could we pse get shut of this "But but Thaksin" blx and stick to the current thread which is about THIS govt.

Amazing - TVF Shin fan club. Any thread about the Shins attracting comments they don't like, divert with "but the Junta, the general, the Dems, Suthep, Abhisit, or the amart / elites. But make sure no one compares any criticism of the current government to the past multiple Thaksin puppet governments.

Thaksin and his puppet regimes have held power for the vast majority of this century. During which, they have completely ignored all corruption within law enforcement; and even used that corruption to their advantage when necessary.

So yes, they and their unique style of governance are relevant to this thread.

The Chinese have the Triad, who are here. The Japanese have the Yakuza, who are here. The Russians have their Bratva, who are here.

It's a crowded boarding house. ermm.gif

Maybe they are just thinking of terminating non-Chinese rental contracts?

I think it's more likely to be political targets, and Thai ones, who just scorn Winnie the Pooh-yai.

blink.png

God bless them if successful! This is something that should have been done decades ago. However, a crackdown on mafia must be conducted by the army, since the police is involved in the mafia activities. Perhaps the mafia crackdown is actually a way of reforming the police.

Yes because the army are in no way involved in illegal mafia activity, and could be trusted to go out and without prejudice or favor close down all these money making mafia figures.................

The only reason the police have a worse image than the army is due to the army image being so carefully managed, and they are generally not coming face to face with joe public every day. The organization is set up, chains of command, hierarchical and promotional systems are essentially the same.

You, me, and anyone who has stayed in Thailand a few years knows many of these families and figures- if they are serious about doing something, why bother having all this fan fare, just go and arrest them.

Nothing will happen to the real powerful families and figures you mention other than some might change sides, or make new alliances.

Some minions might be thrown under the bus wheels for publicity.

It's just like feudal Europe - all those barons, dukes, squires and whatever, with their feudal territory and "privileges"; the machinations and plots; and people swapping sides to the highest bidder.

It would be entertaining if not so sad for the vast majority whose lives are made poorer.

The Chinese have the Triad, who are here. The Japanese have the Yakuza, who are here. The Russians have their Bratva, who are here.

It's a crowded boarding house. ermm.gif

Maybe they are just thinking of terminating non-Chinese rental contracts?

I think it's more likely to be political targets, and Thai ones, who just scorn Winnie the Pooh-yai.

blink.png

It's a good job we've got all those ex SAS, Green Berets, SEALS, FFL types here to protect us then whistling.gif

Lots of words and directions here sign here sign there give orders

WHO ARE THEY GOING TO STOP

1 : RTP are taking money off bar owners every month in a mafia style collection

2 : I dealt very much any thug is going to get in the middle of that

So what story are they selling here lol

Conspicuous absence ofany mention of samui or phuket - wouldn't want to upset the 'mafia' that are in favour would we? Seems to be a selective proposed shakedown, more likely just rumblings to pull in a few rogue mafia family groups who aren't toeing the line or who aren't ceding territory to whichever family has more influence now.

Typically Thai - nothing will be done, its only a public veiled threat that amounts to nothing and only difference might be who up in the food chain gets more money over time.

Business as usual. There is no government or law here just mafia. The law is paraded around to international press to smoother over those pesky fishing industry human trafficking claims and anything that disrupts tourism like rape and murder by mafia family members.

No different to south america methinks.

Load of baloney 'crackdown' on pork belly over dinner more likely...

But how is the country going to operate without a police force ?

It seems to be managing OK without a (proper) one at the moment.

Joking (?) apart, I'm frequently surprised at how peaceful and crime free the country is, given the almost total absence of what most countries would regard as conventional policing.

You clearly don't read the Thai press and have bought the fairytale.

Thai murder rate is high but don't take my word for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Burglary is so high that bars are commonplace on windows and nobody upcountry likes to leave a house unoccupied.

Don't also believe the myth that policing is absent in Thailand. In fact the number of police officers and informers is very high. It is just that here the police manage and profit from crime rather than try to prevent it. This leads to less random street crime giving the illusion of a low-crime society, which it is not.

I don't read the Thai press, my language skills are not up to it. I din't think that I have bought a fairy tale.

Whilst the murder rate is high it is by no means sky high - looking at the link you provided. Burglary rates - I'm not aware of it being a major problem where I live in the north.

My point is that given the lack of conventional policing (patrolling and visible presence), and the fact that as you pointed out the police manage and profit from crime there is less than I would have expected. It may not be a realistic or an accurate comparison, but imagine the crime rate in a UK inner city area if Thai policing techniques were imposed.

This will be interesting. I know all the "mafia" in my town. They are not exactly inconspicuous. They consist mainly of officials in various departments and people "affiliated" to the before mentioned. They demand money to avoid laws, permit illegal activities, and in court cases demand larger sums to buy an outcome. The family relationships go all the way to the top of this region. The mafia are totally entrenched and untouchable - unless total police/judicial/local admin reforms are forthcoming. I would even go as far as saying that under the current administration the local mafia have strengthened and solidified their position.

You are spirited to say that the government Mafia will exterminate the rival Mafia and that they are telling us it's a crackdown.

"Mafia crackdown order to be announced in a day or two"

Season 1 - Episode 12 of this great new comedy/action/crime/drama/war/suspense series.

I've cancelled my Netflix subscription as I don't have time to watch it... this real life sh!t is not to be missed... must follow it.

This will be interesting. I know all the "mafia" in my town. They are not exactly inconspicuous. They consist mainly of officials in various departments and people "affiliated" to the before mentioned. They demand money to avoid laws, permit illegal activities, and in court cases demand larger sums to buy an outcome. The family relationships go all the way to the top of this region. The mafia are totally entrenched and untouchable - unless total police/judicial/local admin reforms are forthcoming. I would even go as far as saying that under the current administration the local mafia have strengthened and solidified their position.

Government, Police, Military are the Mafia says my lawyer.

Mafia wars is whats happening.

That DSI Chief Pongpat that was arrested earlier this year, the billionaire monks getting busted laundering all that cash, the 'super car' busts, the shakeups in the police, the bomb, the land encroachment crackdown, the coup....maybe a counter coup is coming too....

They are at war.

Pasuk Phongpaichit, Sungsidh Piriyarangsan, Nualnoi Treerat
Corruption and democracy in Thailand
Silkworm Books, 1996
Even though it was 19 years ago, this book (I wonder if Silkworm Press has any copies left) was a wonderful description of just who the "mafia" are. The book was written not long after they started to enter national politics. Basically, they're the local rich people. If you watch Thai soap operas you'll notice the kamnan is often a crook and a tyrant. Although I liked and admired him, Banharn Silpa-archa was a good example. They aren't always evil. Well, the Society of Honorable Men in Sicily aren't always evil, either. But my point is, this is going to be just more political infighting (Italian Renaissance style). They've targeted some rich people and probably some politically influential people and will ignore others. Another day in the life of.

Available at Amazon in paperback new and used. Too bad no Kindle.

"the government was considering introducing a law to prohibit the carrying of weapons"

So carrying of weapons in Thailand is allowed?

It is highly regulated. To transport, you pretty much need your gun locked up and you ammo in a different location than you locked up gun, you need your registration and a da*m good reason to be transporting it.

So most people that are packing are doing so illegally, and if stopped at a roadblock, getting arrested may be in the cards. But than again, it depends on your status, wealth, amount of tea money you can produce on the spot, and whether you truly have all the necessary paperwork to legally transport it, and what mood the BIB are in at the moment, and how much discretion they have to interpret the law, which seems to be vague and open to interpretation.

I'm not really knowledgeable about permits to carry a concealed or open carry firearm. I'm sure that's a completely different can of worms. So if they are introducing legislation to make carry a firearm illegal, it already is in most case. Perhaps they are talking about tightening the restriction on legal carry, which would suck, especially if you're just transporting your firearm to a range to practice.

Ko Tao would be a good testing ground but there are BiB , boys in green and the other day in my local Lotus there were boys in black. Unfortunately there is no uniform for the Mafia , maybe one of the Bib , Biblack or BiG groups could arrest anyone with an Italian accent. They started it. Gratsi .

You're confusing Koh Tao with Sicily. Different countries; world's apart. But same problems.

God bless them if successful! This is something that should have been done decades ago. However, a crackdown on mafia must be conducted by the army, since the police is involved in the mafia activities. Perhaps the mafia crackdown is actually a way of reforming the police.

Yes because the army are in no way involved in illegal mafia activity, and could be trusted to go out and without prejudice or favor close down all these money making mafia figures.................

The only reason the police have a worse image than the army is due to the army image being so carefully managed, and they are generally not coming face to face with joe public every day. The organization is set up, chains of command, hierarchical and promotional systems are essentially the same.

You, me, and anyone who has stayed in Thailand a few years knows many of these families and figures- if they are serious about doing something, why bother having all this fan fare, just go and arrest them.

Nothing will happen to the real powerful families and figures you mention other than some might change sides, or make new alliances.

Some minions might be thrown under the bus wheels for publicity.

It's just like feudal Europe - all those barons, dukes, squires and whatever, with their feudal territory and "privileges"; the machinations and plots; and people swapping sides to the highest bidder.

It would be entertaining if not so sad for the vast majority whose lives are made poorer.

But they make great plot lines for Thai soap operas.

But how is the country going to operate without a police force ?

It seems to be managing OK without a (proper) one at the moment.

Joking (?) apart, I'm frequently surprised at how peaceful and crime free the country is, given the almost total absence of what most countries would regard as conventional policing.

You clearly don't read the Thai press and have bought the fairytale.

Thai murder rate is high but don't take my word for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Burglary is so high that bars are commonplace on windows and nobody upcountry likes to leave a house unoccupied.

Don't also believe the myth that policing is absent in Thailand. In fact the number of police officers and informers is very high. It is just that here the police manage and profit from crime rather than try to prevent it. This leads to less random street crime giving the illusion of a low-crime society, which it is not.

I don't read the Thai press, my language skills are not up to it. I din't think that I have bought a fairy tale.

Whilst the murder rate is high it is by no means sky high - looking at the link you provided. Burglary rates - I'm not aware of it being a major problem where I live in the north.

My point is that given the lack of conventional policing (patrolling and visible presence), and the fact that as you pointed out the police manage and profit from crime there is less than I would have expected. It may not be a realistic or an accurate comparison, but imagine the crime rate in a UK inner city area if Thai policing techniques were imposed.

Conventional policing in Thailand means a roadblock and citations for no helmet or unbuckled seat-belts, and the search and arrest of the occasional mules that get busted in order to show that they are doing something important like fighting the 'war of drugs'. Of course, it's only the mules getting busted, probably by information supplied from inside the exact organization doing the trafficking. Gotta sacrifice a few for the team in order to keep the primary supply flowing unimpeded from a different direction. Use your own imagination to figure out who's at that top of that, errr, 'mafia' food chain.

This is just a play on words " Mafia Style gangs "

Which means those pretending wannabe's trying to move in on the big boy's business is going to stop. The old school boys like the guy in the picture, government top dogs, Army, police is going to do a crack down that they aren't going to give up what they already have to a bunch of Mafia Style wannabe gangs!

End result, status quote as always.

Perhaps this kind of stuff is why Prayut and the Dems were so desperate to take control of the government at this moment in time.

They would probably be on the receiving end of the crackdowns in this cold war at the very top of the Thai food chain.

Would I be surprised if there is another coup and this PM and his crowd run run outta town?