Apartment Owner asks for my passport

Hi all, tomorrow i am going to visit my girlfriend and stay at her apartment in Bangkok for LESS than 3 weeks. The owner/management of the apartment requested for a copy of my passport tomorrow and asked for my Arrival Card.. then the strangest thing was, he said "You need to go to the immigration office as soon as you come here"..

Hmm... strange.. Is it necessary to do that? I don't mind with the passport copy and arrival card , but visiting the immigration office? Do all tourists have to do that if they stay in a non-hotel accommodation (What about Airbnb or staying over friends' residents)? Can't be! Dont ever think such law exist on earth.

he must have mistaken me for staying there long term..I don't intend to work or live there permanently, just visiting and I didn't even plan to overstay/violate my tourist visa length (30 days for my country).!

Hope i am not in trouble tomorrow! Can anyone here clarify this with me? Sounds like utter BS.

Edited: Confusion on the visa tourist part. For Malaysians (me) no tourist Visa is needed, we are all permitted to stay less than 30days. Been there done that. Just not for this apartment.

Edited by jimborders

Hi all, tomorrow i am going to visit my girlfriend and stay at her apartment in Bangkok for LESS than 3 weeks. The owner/management of the apartment requested for a copy of my passport tomorrow and asked for my Arrival Card.. then the strangest thing was, he said "You need to go to the immigration office as soon as you come here"..

Hmm... strange.. Is it necessary to do that? I don't mind with the passport copy and arrival card , but visiting the immigration office? Do all tourists have to do that if they stay in a non-hotel accommodation (What about Airbnb or staying over friends' residents)? Can't be! Dont ever think such law exist on earth.

he must have mistaken me for staying there long term..I don't intend to work or live there permanently, just visiting and I didn't even plan to overstay/violate my tourist visa length (30 days for my country).!

Hope i am not in trouble tomorrow! Can anyone here clarify this with me? Sounds like utter BS.

Sounds like one or both parties are confused or misunderstanding going on

I believe the owner/management needs to report your staying within 24 hours, can see why you would need to go to immigration, they just need copies of your pp/landing card

Never heard of that... You don't have to go to immigration. For what? I assume you are permitted to stay at least 30 days in the country. So I don't see the point of going to immigration.

But maybe someone can shed some light into this...

yeah exactly.. what is the problem? I stay -> 3 weeks later -> I leave.. back to the airport --> Stamp. Perhaps he is legally obligated to report me, then that is fine, I will do it.. But surprisingly none of the previous apartment owners did that to me.

yeah exactly.. what is the problem? I stay -> 3 weeks later -> I leave.. back to the airport --> Stamp. Perhaps he is legally obligated to report me, then that is fine, I will do it.. But surprisingly none of the previous apartment owners did that to me.

How long ago was that ?....have a look through the threads, visa and overstay crackdowns, new visa types, and bombs going off not so long ago...9000 arrested for overstays etc

The times maybe a changin

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

Thank you to all your replies.. I just knew about this TM30 form just now and seek some advice from my girlfriend

Interesting enforcement though.

Hmm, but i am pretty sure I am not the only one who is oblivious of this requirement. Perhaps some people like myself, who will visit their girlfriend or friends and staying just for a couple of days might find it shocking when the officers came knocking their doors.

But maybe the government of Thailand can put this notice in the arrival card (stating it is mandatory to do a reporting , TM30 form, etc) or just announce it somewhere , or give a separate paper notice so that first time visitors can be prepared and not lose out any legal procedure that they may missed.(maybe they already did, i just did not see it) . That will make it easier.

While most owners/hotels know about this policy, not everybody is going to stay in these places, what happen when we stay at our local Thai friends' house who do not know anything (In turn, that will be my responsibility to notify them) .. Some of my local Thai friends didn't even know about this too until just now (yes literally 5 minutes ago), they were like "huh, what?! That's absurd!"

Lesson learned, will inform my friends and my Thai friends if i ever stay over their place..

Cheers guys!

Edited by jimborders

i just arrived in fang and at the hotel they didnt ask me anything 350b and finish ahahaha

i love this thailand

The hotel did not wish to see your passport or take a copy of it ?

Me & Mrs M had a few days break at Pattaya recently and my wife handled the checking in process @ the hotel. I didn't have to show my passport at all. Last time I did at the same hotel.

Edited by mxyzptlk
  • Like 2

i just arrived in fang and at the hotel they didnt ask me anything 350b and finish ahahaha

i love this thailand

Me & Mrs M had a few days break at Pattaya recently and my wife handled the checking in process @ the hotel. I didn't have to show my passport at all. Last time I did at the same hotel.

Bottom line....it IS a requirement for the hotel to take a passport copy and report your stay. Whether a hotel does it or not up to them. Its their butt in a sling if something happens.

• Like 2

I've been in Chang Mai at a condo building, renting a unit over 3 years, and never heard of a TM-30 form? The management or owner never asked me for my passport? :-)

Obviously, you have no written, specific property lease with that owner. Good for you, but that is definitely not the standard procedure for renting a condo, especially as a foreigner.

Edited by NativeSon360

Ok Thanks again everyone, well noted all your comments..

I am still 14 hours away from my flight and as of now i decided to print a copy of the TM30 form JUST in case he (the owner) doesn't have the copy tomorrow, good luck for me!. But yeah, I really really really dont want to go to the immigration office if it is not necessary (which indeed not necessary given the other alternatives), I just hope this can be settled on the premise of the apartment itself.

Until then , good night everyone and hello Thailand here I come!

Edited by jimborders

I have literally stayed in a hundred resorts or more, now renting a house away from where I am registered and never once been questioned. I have registered vehicles in different provinces than which they have plates from.

I have never carried my passport or a copy, other than the bank or immigration. I have been asked but I say I left it at home. End of story. I have a Thai license for bikes and cars and use both regularly. The PPW for the car is always in it. The PPW for the bike depends if I have my bag with me. I use a DL for ID at the hotels that require it. They ask for a PP but don't produce it.

Of course,being white and American, probably helps. Not dragging down other races nationalities but it does seem Americans are more welcome. I don't know why, we have morons too.

I have lived in many places in Thailand over the years (38). Surat, Pattaya and now, Isan and it has always been that way. It seems some people make a bigger deal out of this than is needed.

• Like 1

I have literally stayed in a hundred resorts or more, now renting a house away from where I am registered and never once been questioned. I have registered vehicles in different provinces than which they have plates from.

I have never carried my passport or a copy, other than the bank or immigration. I have been asked but I say I left it at home. End of story. I have a Thai license for bikes and cars and use both regularly. The PPW for the car is always in it. The PPW for the bike depends if I have my bag with me. I use a DL for ID at the hotels that require it. They ask for a PP but don't produce it.

Of course,being white and American, probably helps. Not dragging down other races nationalities but it does seem Americans are more welcome. I don't know why, we have morons too.

I have lived in many places in Thailand over the years (38). Surat, Pattaya and now, Isan and it has always been that way. It seems some people make a bigger deal out of this than is needed.

Must originate from Tex-as*

• Like 1

He needs copy of your passport/arrival card as he has to register you with immigration.

You are under no obligation to register yourself and to be honest immigration would probably turn you away if you tried.

Sounds like a lazy/confused landlord

• Like 1

That owner's just being a typical prick, (under-handed manner, as usual) expressing his opinionated disdain toward foreigners. However, you are legally required to provide a copy of your ID upon request. The burden of reporting your presence @ that location (to Immigration), is the owner's responsibility. Not your's. Just give the jerk the copy he requested, and then lie to him about having reported yourself to Immigration, should he pursue the issue, past that point. Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay, in the LOS. Cheerscoffee1.gif

Why does his following the law make hima prick?

• Like 1

It seems there are fresh faces who assume that recently-promulgated laws will be consistently and uniformly enforced in Thailand, as they mostly are in their home countries. This despite overwhelming centuries of evidence to the contrary.

It is true that in the short term, authoritarian elements may seek to make people do this or that, but the will to enforce such rules and regulations here over the longer term suffers greatly from entropy.

To me, this is one of the more endearing features of local society.

Must originate from Tex-as*

The funny thing is, he states "it does seem Americans are more welcome" well if he is not presenting his passport and uses his Thai DL how would they know he is American ? Given the fact Thai generally are not that good on picking up on English language accents anyway to identify the country a farang comes from ?

Or of course you could be right, his cowboy boots, cowboy hat, big buckle on the belt, cigar and broke back mountain swagger might be the give away

Not to mention the longhorns mounted on his motorbike.

• Like 1

Hotels always ask for passports, probabally to make sure they get paid? To think that immigration can keep up with guests checking in/out sounds crazy? I assume my condo manager was given my passport when I rented my condo unit, 3 years ago, I don't really remember? Like Thailand, sometimes they do, and many times they don't :-)

What ever happened to the bomber suspects? It seems the police collected the rewards, and all is forgotten already? :-)

i love this thailand

I've NEVER been asked for passport or any other form of ID in my 6 years of living here permanently & visiting numerous hotels/resorts.

While the online booking is usually in my name, my wife does the actual check-in at the hotel while I seem to remain a non-entity so far as the hotel is concerned.

Long my it stay that way.

Yes, the apartment owner needs to get a copy of your passport's main page and the page with latest arrival stamps plus a copy of your arrival card. In accordance with Immigration Act B.E. 2522, Section 38, he, like any house master, must report any 'alian' staying in apartment.

And yes, you are oblige to report your new address, even if it is a temporary one, within 24 hours after arrival from abroard, or within 48 hours if moved inside Thailand. This obligation is also stipulated inte Immigration Act, Section 37 (3) or Section 37 (4) respectively.

• Like 2