Water situation in Thailand turns into crisis: Academic

webfact

Water situation in Thailand turns into crisis: Academic

BANGKOK, 28 October 2015 (NNT) - Thailand's water situation has turned into crisis this year, commented a noted academic.

During an interview in NBT World's Thailand Today program, Nipon Puapongsakorn of the Thailand Development Research Institute said this year's water situation in Thailand has become critical with water levels at major dams ebbing to the lowest since the last 50 years. The level is feared to go further down during dry season beginning on the first of November.

There will not be enough water for second-crop farming this year while there will be an estimated four billion cubic meters of water in reserve for next year, the academic said.

He added that the government has tried to alter a water management strategy in the face of this year's critical droughts, especially in the Chao Praya River basin.

Water might be allocated among users in the drought-stricken provinces including riverside areas while the authorities will see to it that water consumption will remain manageable in accordance with the government’s strategy.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-10-28 footer_n.gif

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They had planes out seeding the clouds in the Rainy Season !,and its

going to be many months before we have any real rain again,but I am

sure the Government has plans for the up coming crisis facepalm.gif ,maybe

towing icebergs from Antarctic.

regards Worgeordie

I do believe the govt now recognises the need for actual strategy not just talk but action. Trouble is that the masses will ignore all advice to conserve water. How many mom & pops do you see washing the street on their soi u charoens with a hose pipe everyday?... So wasteful, habitual and ultimately pointless

I do believe the govt now recognises the need for actual strategy not just talk but action. Trouble is that the masses will ignore all advice to conserve water. How many mom & pops do you see washing the street on their soi u charoens with a hose pipe everyday?... So wasteful, habitual and ultimately pointless

It keeps the dust down in front of their shops, and washes all the garbage into the drains.

If the drains are all plugged, then that's saving water right? laugh.png

If BKK runs out of drinkingwater it will cause massive problems. Worst of all the news will go viral and ruins the good reputation as hub of asian tourism.

Also there won't be electricity from the hydrodams if there isn't enough waterflow so no more airconditioners during the summer.

But as always the Thai do everything at the very last moment and after that they do totally nothing to prevent it happening again.

Lets not forget the 6 baths they take each day as well. Water management will never be sufficient because every thai has been taught mai pan rai about such things like this and all have a disregard for official intervention.

I would only believe this country is in a state of dire water shortage when the authorities order all Turkish baths and spas closed.

They could start by closing the golf courses.

That would affect the golfing classes, and the people who make money from them.

That is what happens if a self appointed bunch of soldiers claim to know all and everything.

The main cause of the water shortage in the dams was caused by the previous elected PTP government in draining too much water away in 2012/13 to prevent floods in BKK against ALL advice.

That is what happens if a self appointed bunch of soldiers claim to know all and everything.

I thought el nino was to blame combined with the previous government mismanagement of the dams.

I was just waiting for people to start blaming the Shinawatras, as they seem do with just about everything else.

If BKK runs out of drinking water it will cause massive problems. Worst of all the news will go viral and ruins the good reputation as hub of asian tourism.

Also there won't be electricity from the hydro dams if there isn't enough water flow so no more air onditioners during the summer.

But as always the Thai do everything at the very last moment and after that they do totally nothing to prevent it happening again.

Do you think that they should build more dams and reservoirs?

If you agree then you must understand that to build a dam and fill it to capacity from the day that it is planned and the first earth is turned can take anywhere between 4 to 10 years depending on the capacity of the dam and the amount of rainfall during that period.

To alleviate the current more dams should have been built at least 10 years ago. The current government has only been in power for the last 18 months so they should not be blamed for this problem.

Lets not forget the 6 baths they take each day as well. Water management will never be sufficient because every thai has been taught mai pan rai about such things like this and all have a disregard for official intervention.

Baths are a western thing and rarely found outside of the big cities or in farang "mansions".

Showers especially dip showers take far less water.

If BKK runs out of drinking water it will cause massive problems. Worst of all the news will go viral and ruins the good reputation as hub of asian tourism.

Also there won't be electricity from the hydro dams if there isn't enough water flow so no more air onditioners during the summer.

If you agree then you must understand that to build a dam and fill it to capacity from the day that it is planned and the first earth is turned can take anywhere between 4 to 10 years depending on the capacity of the dam and the amount of rainfall during that period.

To alleviate the current more dams should have been built at least 10 years ago. The current government has only been in power for the last 18 months so they should not be blamed for this problem.

The problem is that salty water flows upstream into the chao praya so the waterstations for drinkingwater can't get fresh water.

The only emergency solution to that (in my opinion) is to close the riverloop at Yan nawa:

look here: https://www.google.co.th/maps/@13.6714513,100.5407452,12z

If that loop is closed the water will flow downstream through that narrow canal only which causes a higher flow so no salty water can flow upstream.

Then next rainy season they can work on a better plan with more upstream reservoirs.

Look on the bright side, it could mean a water-free Songkhran!!crazy.gif

YES!!!......and pigs will fly, and motorbikes will stop swerving all over hither and thither, and Pattaya Beach will become a pristine beach all at about the same time.

Surprise , surprise, surprise , and I wounder sometimes why I answer these nutters, it's like pouring water ( pardon the pun ) off a ducks back, of course there is a water shortage , that's because successive Governments haven't done any homework for decades and relied of B/S and applied lip service now the ducks have come home to nest and oh dear me no water , hey I have been running out of water at my place for over 5 years and it sure ain't getting any better. coffee1.gif

why Brits have to say hose pipe ? A pipe is rigid.

why Brits have to say hose pipe ? A pipe is rigid.

I suppose they can speak their own language any way that they want.facepalm.gif

The problem is that salty water flows upstream into the chao praya so the waterstations for drinkingwater can't get fresh water.

The only emergency solution to that (in my opinion) is to close the riverloop at Yan nawa:

look here: https://www.google.co.th/maps/@13.6714513,100.5407452,12z

If that loop is closed the water will flow downstream through that narrow canal only which causes a higher flow so no salty water can flow upstream.

Then next rainy season they can work on a better plan with more upstream reservoirs.

Or they could move the water reservoirs for drinking water another 50 kilometers upstream, so the salt water will never reach the reservoirs.

How many millions liter of water is evaporating from the reservoirs in Thailand every day?? Thailand should not hesitate to copy The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, who released 96 million black shade balls into the Los Angeles Reservoir to reduce evaporation and deter algal growth. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/08/150812-shade-balls-los-angeles-California-drought-water-environment/

shadeballs.ngsversion.1439479802808.adap

Edited by Xonax

Baths are a western thing and rarely found outside of the big cities or in farang "mansions".

Showers especially dip showers take far less water.

Baths were actually from the Romans...