Retirement Visa-vehicle ownership

Hi to All,,firstly can anyone advise procedure for 1 year extension of stay....i currently have a valid retirement visa expires May2016..

can this be done inside Thailand??and locations.

Regarding vehicle ownership,,i have been told to officially own a vehicle in my name,,you have to have a work permit.......this is a big

anomaly in immigration law.....as the holder of a retirement visa it is prohibited to work,,,,therefore as a retiree one cannot own a vehicle...

Is there anyway of raising this issue with the thai government,,,as it doesn't make any sense.....i continue to have faith in thai,,as we are

living here.

cheers

Not sure what kind of visa you have now. Do you have OA visa that you have used to get a one year entry or a multiple entry non-o visa?

You apply for an extension at the designated office for where you are living.

You can buy and register a vehicle without any visa. There is certainly not a requirement for you to have a work permit.

• Like 1

Extension of stay; You need to apply at the office local to where you live.

Vehicle ownership; You've been misinformed. You don't need too have a work permit. Just a residence certificate that you can get from an immigration office.

Who ever told you that you couldn't own a vehicle unless you have a work permit is wrong. I originally had a Non OA Visa (retirement) and have since had four, one year extensions of stay. I can not work on my extension and I do not work, nor do I have a work permit. I have purchased a vehicle that I have had for two years.

You obtain the retirement extension of stay at "your servicing immigration office" up to 30 days in advance of O/A Visa/Extension of Stay permitted to stay expiration date.

You don't need any visa to own a vehicle....you don't need a work permit. I bought my SUV two weeks after arriving Thailand on my Retirement O/A Visa. Had a farang friend buy his new car and motorcycle a few months ago...he came over on a Non-O Visa where he needs to do the border runs every 90 days.

Not all immigration offices will issue residence certificates, but the document should be available at your embassy at a cost. The current price at the US Embassy is 1800 baht.

• 4 months later...

But to get "residence permit" to buy a vehicle you have to have some sort of long-term permission to stay, right?

In other words a person on a tourist visa or a visa exempt stay wouldn't be able to buy a motorcycle, correct?

What about a 90 day O/A or a one year O/A without a retirement extension?

Thanks for the help!

Someone on the Motoring Forum yesterday reported he tried to order a new car at the Bangkok Motor Show and was told by 3 different people that from 1 March 2016 a work permit was required.

Which thread ?....it may relate to getting finance for a car, not actually owning the car...two different things completely

Someone on the Motoring Forum yesterday reported he tried to order a new car at the Bangkok Motor Show and was told by 3 different people that from 1 March 2016 a work permit was required.

Perhaps that was to get financing. If there had a been a change in being able to register a vehicle there would of already been topics about it.

Perhaps that was to get financing. If there had a been a change in being able to register a vehicle there would of already been topics about it.

He wanted to pay cash. Another TV member on the same forum has been told he can only buy a car in the province he lives in / work permit was issued. Maybe a misunderstanding .

He wanted to pay cash. Another TV member on the same forum has been told he can only buy a car in the province he lives in / work permit was issued. Maybe a misunderstanding .

Which thread ?

Which thread ?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/883707-new-honda-civic-not-getting-the-15-turbo-engine-in-thailand-surely-not/page-18

Which thread ?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/883707-new-honda-civic-not-getting-the-15-turbo-engine-in-thailand-surely-not/page-18

Thanks...personally i think there is confusion mixed up in speculation

WP to finance a car ? Yeah why not...would make sense

WP to buy a car cash ? No doesnt make sense

Register car in same province/district as where you get your extension /registered address ? Can see the sense in that one

Purchase only in that province ? Doesnt make sense other than it makes it easier for the dealer in the above