Former Thai Education Minister denies allegations of being unusually wealthy

Jonathan Fairfield

Former Education Minister denies allegations of being unusually wealthy

BANGKOK, 29 October 2015 (NNT) - Former Education Minister Somsak Prissanananthakul has denied allegations that he falsified his asset statements; meanwhile, the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) is to reconvene on November 5 to question both the former Minister and the plaintiff.

The NLA agreed to hear the impeachment case of the former official, which had been submitted by the National Anti-Corruption Commission.

NACC Commissioner Narong Rathamarit delivered the opening statement to the assembly on behalf of the plaintiff, accusing Mr Somsak of possessing unusual wealth and falsifying his asset statements which serve as the grounds for impeachment.

Mr Narong pointed to a 16 million Baht house built in 1998 by defendant during his years as Deputy Education Minister, which was not included as part of Mr. Somsak's asset statement. In addition, Mr Somsak also failed to disclose all of his savings. The NACC therefore concluded that the former Minister was indeed guilty of possessing unusual wealth and intentionally falsifying his asset statements.

In his opening rebuttal, Mr Somsak denied that he had given false asset statements, saying he funded the construction of his house through income from his political position and his rice mill business. He also affirmed that his wealth were acquired through honest means and pleaded the NLA to exercise fair judgement.

After the opening statements, the NLA agreed to set up a 7-member hearing committee to question the two parties based on questions submitted by NLA members, who have until October 30 to submit their questions to the committee. The hearing session is scheduled to take place on November 5 at 10 am.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-29

Why pick just 1. I think it'd be a challenge to find any politician and their cronies who have wealth that is 100% kosher.

Don't feel sorry that any of them are outed but feel that committees of other seemingly crooked folks are orchestrating the purges a bit rich

Lice mill, hmm...? Wewy, wewy intelesting... Are you sure this is a good timing to speak about your rice mill, Mr Somsak? Considering where you come from and the guys you worked for and with in politics, I'm not so sure... LOL

The PM was a Soldier and he has 100's of Millions of Baht, the Former Police Chief was also insanely rich, so if a Cop and a Soldier can amass such wealth, whats so odd about a Rice Mill owner having a few Baht, I wonder if they'll be going after the PM, his brother, the Police Chief and their cronies ?

Didn't think so.

The PM was a Soldier and he has 100's of Millions of Baht, the Former Police Chief was also insanely rich, so if a Cop and a Soldier can amass such wealth, whats so odd about a Rice Mill owner having a few Baht, I wonder if they'll be going after the PM, his brother, the Police Chief and their cronies ?

Didn't think so.

He doesn't have lots of guns.

Interesting how sensitive some react.
Obviously his financial statement was wrong.
Afterwards he has more assets than explained.
So he has made false statements and has broken the law.
Every normal taxpayer must pay extra for providing false information and also receives a penalty.
Ministers should normally lead by example.
If his assets were acquired illegally, I hope that the state confiscate this unusual wealth plus penalty.

To be honest I think it is VERY VERY rare if you will not ever meet or hear about any Thai person who gets into a place of power to not abuse it for financial gain! I have lived here for over 10 years and I know that the director of a school I used to work at and his accounts/finance officer, were screwing the out of stupid amounts of money. Massage chairs, computers, flat screen TV's, new cars, all the money from the MOE or from parents tuition fees. I hated the fat, sweaty bastard!!

News Flash ~ The Kingdom of Thailand possesses a real system of free-enterprise. If one (a Thai citizen, of course) has even half a brain to work with, then one can legally become quite wealthy, in the LOS.

As a passport-holding (guest in the Kingdom) citizen of a western (so-called free-enterprise) democratic nation, I cannot begin to fathom how any foreign expat resident of the LOS, can even begin to have a negative opinion, or berate anyone in the Thai government, for anything they may have done, to become a wealthy person. That especially holds true, if their actions have done nothing illegal to impede, or to harm the accommodation provided to me, via my Thai visa status. Anything else, happening in the LOS, is simply none of my business. Next topic of discussion, pleasecoffee1.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

To be honest I think it is VERY VERY rare if you will not ever meet or hear about any Thai person who gets into a place of power to not abuse it for financial gain! I have lived here for over 10 years and I know that the director of a school I used to work at and his accounts/finance officer, were screwing the out of stupid amounts of money. Massage chairs, computers, flat screen TV's, new cars, all the money from the MOE or from parents tuition fees. I hated the fat, sweaty bastard!!

And it's not below these directors to even raise money from the students during 'fundraising days' to help finance 'pie-in-the-sky' projects that never seem to materialize.

Didn't think so.

Actually the PM was under some scrutiny last week about his sale of land worth 600, million baht. He claims to have been given the land as a boy,,, hmmm.

Ok, it was only the press but at least its a start.

I think the problem is going to be "who do you put into power who does not have unusual wealth?". It has been the Thai way to milk as much money form official positions as possible for a long time, it is accepted in Thai society. Only now is it becoming publicised due to the talk over squashing corruption.

Anyway, hope they keep going with this, 1 at a time is ok as long as it continues. The other ex ministers and officials will sweat when they see constant accusations and criminal action being brought against the guilty.

Just an honest mistake.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha's younger brother General Preecha, now assistant Army chief as well as member of the NLA had filed an asset report with the NACC showing total assets of about Bt63 million. But he should have reported about Bt101 million.

You can't expect a Thai flag officer and MP to correctly add amounts of money. Why should the former Education Minister be different?

Prayut should make Somsak part of his Cabinet where there seems to be a disregard for financial accountability.

Didn't think so.

Broken Record, well named. coffee1.gif