Protesters clash with police over planned US airbase in Japan

webfact

Protesters clash with police over planned US airbase in Japan

606x341_316083.jpg

OKINAWA: -- Police have dragged away protesters trying to block work on a contentious US airbase in Japan.

Dozens of protesters, many of them elderly, gathered at the site in the Henoko area of Okinawa province.

They want to block access for trucks and bulldozers to the planned Futenma air base.

Work has begun at the site,19 years after it was first planned.

Why has the row intensified?

The row has intensified after local governor Takeshi Onaga revoked permission for work at the site two weeks ago.

But the government in Tokyo decided on Tuesday his decision was not legitimate and has overridden it.

Work resumed on Thursday morning, prompting the protests.

What is the dispute about?

The US and Japan agreed to close the US air base at Futenma in 1996.

Residents of Okinawa resent hosting any military base at all.

But they additionally oppose the government’s plan to move the US base to a nearby island.

Plans to move it stalled due to opposition from Okinawa residents worried about noise, pollution and crime levels.

The government in Toyko says it plans to stick to the agreement.

Tens of thousands of people are supporting the campaign.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-10-30

People that forget China, North Korea and the Russkies are just around the corner.

They could not of picked a worse time to state their case. I would say that we need to build up defenses in the area...not knock them down. At least until China and North Korea stop bullying. If these guys would just go home, then everyone else would.

Edited by slipperylobster

People that forget China, North Korea and the Russkies are just around the corner.

They could not of picked a worse time to state their case. I would say that we need to build up defenses in the area...not knock them down. At least until China and North Korea stop bullying. If these guys would just go home, then everyone else would.

And your fear-based oppinion is the reason war exists to begin with! The (fear-based) belief in the need to defend attracts and makes conflict possible! Time to change now and move past this antagonistic way of thinking/being!

Yes, well, the US bases there are supposed to support the defense umbrella for Japan so that they could sit back and brag about being pacifists. It's not only for US geopolitical aims.

And your fear-based oppinion is the reason war exists to begin with! The (fear-based) belief in the need to defend attracts and makes conflict possible! Time to change now and move past this antagonistic way of thinking/being!

Youth...enjoy it while you have it.

But if you have some free time crack open some history books.

Or maybe you can find some vids on YouTube ;-)

I'm with you, generally speaking, and even further to condemn US arrogant economic and military imperialism, however in this case I support the base because I fear am concerned it has something to do with countering China's expansion, vis a vis the Spratleys.

I fear am concerned because they are forward planning and it can only mean for potential conflict.

How would this possibly be "fear based"...as I do not live in Japan.

What you fail to understand is the balance of power required to ensure safety for our good allies in South Korea, Japan, Taiwan and the Philippines.

fear has nothing to do with it. Good fences make good neighbors.... Our fence is strong...and should remain so.

Weakness and lack of resolve only invites conflict.... It would be sheer lunacy to believe if we left a vacuum (militarily) that China, North Korea and Russia would just roll over like fluffy puppies and do the same.

Edited by slipperylobster

I agree with the Japanese, no foreign military base in their backyard. Would you like it?

All the US need is a few more ac carriers in the area or may be they have enough of them.

If its not the US setting up a Base then it will be the Chinese...in time.

Edited by ClutchClark